Chapter 16 – Receiving A Lecture & Being Sent To School
618 3 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Given the sheer response he saw arrayed around him, Orodan presumed whatever the side effects of him fighting a Grandmaster-level monster were… it was a big deal.

“Orodan Wainwright! You live?!” Burgher Ignatius Firesword shouted from a distance.

The man looked worried and as though he’d aged ten years with the stress he was under. Next to the Burgher was an aged looking man in a simple tunic. A furled weapon strapped across his back.

“Yes Burgher, I survived my scouting mission into the tunnels,” Orodan replied with a cheery grin. Burgher Ignatius looked as though he wanted to clap him on the back and also strangle him.

Behind the Burgher and the old man were the retainers of House Firesword. It was good to see they had made it out in time.

But most importantly, the bigger part of the crowd was all the various Masters and powerful old people with dangerous auras standing near the back. Adeltaj Simarji stood among the group of elderly, signifying they were all Grandmasters, and there were six of them present. And of course, there were plenty of Masters too, including the golden griffins of the Council.

The High-Burgher of the Council of Karilsgard, Sarvaan Ilsuan Arslan was also present. And while this might have been impressive to Orodan once upon a time, he could now easily kill hundreds of the man if he wanted. The position of High-Burgher was nothing but a nominal title, and as Orodan had come to learn, the actual powers, the Grandmasters, weren’t interested in playing the game of elected councils and appearing important to the public eye.

“Orodan Wainwright… so this is the boy who ventured deeper into the depths by himself on behalf of our house?” the old man next to Burgher Ignatius asked.

“Yes ancestor… this is him, the young man who I’ve decided to sponsor for the Bluefire Academy,” the Burgher replied. “His talent at the examination center in our county was extraordinary.”

“Hm… burrowing up with your bare hands through how many miles of rock to reach the surface requires strength,” the unknown old man said. “Let me guess… at least 60 Physical Fitness?”

The old man was scarily close to the accurate number. Orodan was currently at 65 in his Physical Fitness. Was this what hundreds of years of experience looked like?

Orodan neither confirmed nor denied the man’s question.

“Either way, you’ve done well to risk so much for House Firesword. I’m sure little Ignatius here will reward you well after, but for now, we’ll have to trouble you to speak with your elders,” the old man spoke and then turned to the High-Burgher. “Have everyone else disperse.”

The man essentially ordered the High-Burgher, and the man complied without a whit of complaint. Soon, Orodan found himself standing in front of eight very old people. These were all Grandmasters of the Republic.

He could beat one, maybe two at once given his recent performance against a Grandmaster-level monster. But even with his recent increases in power he didn’t hold confidence in beating all eight of them yet. And who knew the differences in strength even at the Grandmaster level?

Adeltaj Simarji said once that he was only a Grandmaster in a single skill. Perhaps someone here was more than just that. Orodan hadn’t tested himself against a dual-Grandmaster yet.

“So… I take it this audience is to do with my unannounced trip down some natural tunnel systems?” Orodan asked.

“Unannounced trip he says! Heh… I like him Adeltaj, standing before old fogeys like us and he still talks so casually,” one of the old men said. “Let me steal him from you.”

“Tease him later Kuonthus,” old man Adeltaj Simarji, the only familiar face in the group replied. “Besides, he isn’t even mine per se, my house isn’t the one that sponsored him for the academy.”

And Orodan had to wonder if the elderly man had told anyone about their destructive battle deep into the Aenechean Forest in which he had bested the old Grandmaster in a fair fight.

“Yes, this has to do with your trip… specifically with the energy well you stumbled upon,” the leading old man said. “We’ve suspected it for a while now but hadn't gotten around to forming an expedition… tell us what you saw as you descended the hole.”

“Well, I descended the hole, met a hive of centipedes who I decided to make peace with, but then ended up encountering something very big further down the energy well. At least the size of a mountain range if I recall,” Orodan answered. “I fled shortly after encountering it, and it must’ve woken up or maybe it got into a fight with one of the other monsters deeper down that the centipedes warned me of.”

Adeltaj and an old woman frowned at him as he said this.

“Boy… that Blessing of yours blocks all perception of your soul, so I cannot even ascertain whether you’re telling the truth,” the old woman spoke up. “But your story sounds like hogwash all the same. The tremors and earthquakes started over two weeks ago, and then once they stop you manage to crawl out of the ground and claim you fled the monster?”

Orodan had to admit, his ability to come up with a convincing lie on the spot was pathetic.

“Varna, the lad is stronger than he looks… perhaps he simply took time to ascend the surface?” Adeltaj added, and while Orodan was grateful he didn’t feel his story held up whatsoever despite the ancient Simarji’s support.

The old woman, Varna, gave Adeltaj a suspicious look. “Do you have some sort of prior history with the boy Adeltaj? Being able to ‘flee’ a Grandmaster-level monster… don’t tell me he’s part of the reason we have that massive crater in the Aenechean Forest near Velestok?” she asked.

Adeltaj chose not to comment and that made the eyes of the Grandmasters take on a calculating gaze.

“Incredible… the Goddess will want to meet with you young man, why don’t you come with me and we can properly train you?” one of the yet unnamed old men asked. “I’m Heredin Aeronsul, Chosen One of our Goddess Ilyatana. The Blessing that Ilyatana has given me allows me to peer past the unknown Blessing you have shrouding you… but if you would lower that shield you have over your fate, perhaps we can come to work with one another.”

This man was intrusive. And he was a Chosen One.

Chosen Ones were people, usually at the Grandmaster or above level, who had three Blessings from one particular God. Furthermore, they were the very strongest champions a God had on the mortal plane, and were the living executors of their will.

The power of an Avatar depended on the host body the God was possessing. And if a Favored such as Lady Lakshiya could host an Avatar that was strong enough to swat away Grandmasters like pests… then Orodan didn’t want to find out just yet how powerful an Avatar descending unto their Chosen One was.

He had seen them fighting the Eldritch Avatar in Guzuhar, but hadn’t experienced their wrath for himself yet. Compared to this man before him… Lady Lakshiya was nothing.

“Aeronsul… cease your meddling, he is under the protection of my house,” spoke the leading old man who seemed to know Burgher Ignatius. “You cannot simply go around throwing your weight as a Chosen One around without care.”

“For someone at his age to be so powerful… the Goddess insists that I find the answer,” Heredin spoke, and then glared at the Firesword Grandmaster. “Blocking my way when the Goddess herself communes with me and demands it… would be heretical. I simply wish to see what exactly is it that makes him so strong… did he really kill the monster outright?”

A tense standoff occurred between the two Grandmasters for a moment, until Heredin Aeronsul finally was the first to break his gaze.

The Chosen One of Ilyatana looked as though he was receiving communion from his Goddess and didn’t like what he was hearing.

“Tch… have it your way Firesword…” the man muttered. “A brash bully like yourself is suited for being Agathor’s Chosen.”

Agathor’s Chosen?

With those words, Heredin Aeronsul turned away and departed, and following him was the old woman known as Varna. They seemed to be part of one faction if Orodan’s limited intuition for politics was correct.

To the side, Adeltaj Simarji, the old man known as Kuonthus and this Firesword Grandmaster seemed to be another group. The remaining three Grandmasters were seemingly unaffiliated, and soon they broke away with some parting words.

“That was some argument they had upstairs huh? Malzim tells me that they’re still arguing with one another!” the leading elderly woman of the unaffiliated three Grandmasters spoke. “We’ll leave you to your affairs then Arvayne… try not to scare the boy overly much.”

The parties shared a nod, and then the three unaffiliated Grandmasters also left. And now the man who he pieced together was known as Arvayne Firesword, a Grandmaster and Chosen One of Agathor, was looking right at him.

“Alright then young warrior, how about you now tell me what really happened?”


There were strength differences between even Grandmasters.

Adeltaj Simarji for instance, was a regular Grandmaster, but he was on the cusp of pushing a second skill - his active combat skill which was Phoenix Thrust - to level 100. This made him quite powerful, and Orodan was sure he wasn’t the benchmark for an average Grandmaster. He would become quite monstrous once he passed the bottleneck and hit 100 in that skill.

The average Grandmaster would be someone like this friendly and jesting man known as Kuonthus Vexelthun. He was a newly advanced Grandmaster, having reached level 100 in Shield Mastery a hundred years ago. He also looked comparatively less decrepit compared to the other two before him who were older looking.

In truth, the word ‘average’ was difficult to use when talking about Grandmasters, as they all had different secrets and tricks up their sleeve. People at the Grandmaster level, due to living for so long, typically had a plethora of high rarity skills which they never disclosed, and these skills at high levels could create nasty surprises for anyone who underestimated them. So, who knew what secret abilities even the ‘average’ Grandmaster like Kuonthus possessed.

But if there was an average, then there was a category of the exceptional. Orodan had already met one such exceptional Grandmaster in the northern continent of Guzuhar. The dragon, Cyvrosdyr the Eternal Winter, a World Guardian and triple-Grandmaster.

But Cyvrosdyr was technically a monster, a creature born with gross advantages and capable of absorbing world energy. What would an exceptional Grandmaster of the mortal races look like?

The answer was Arvayne Firesword. The triple-Grandmaster Chosen One of Agathor who was currently hearing him explain the entire situation he was in. If the Republic had a competition for who was the greatest warrior within it… this old man would be near the top. The furled up weapon on his back, shaped suspiciously like a greatsword, also told Orodan that it would be a while until he could ever hope to trade blows with him.

“Hmm… an Eldritch Star descending… a Quest regarding it, your enmity with the Goddess of Fate, and this time loop situation you seem to find yourself in. Did I summarize the main points of your situation correctly?” the old Firesword asked and Orodan nodded. “I see that you’re also prodigiously talented with two Mythical skills, something I’ve never heard of before. I understand how you acquired them and the hard work you had to put in… but… why are you so stupid?”

“What?”

“Not to disrespect you young man… but my lord Agathor would absolutely adore you. Which is meant as a backhanded compliment about your intelligence,” Arvayne explained. “I have so many criticisms to make about your course of action throughout the loops that we could sit here for another hour.”

“Wait a moment… aren’t you supposed to approve of my course of action given that you’re a Chosen One of Agathor?!”

“Agathor is the God of War… but there is a more strategic and intellectual side to war than even my lord cares to appreciate,” the Chosen explained. “Agathor is flexible about how the results are obtained as long as war is waged and battles are fought with honest zeal. I’m almost two-thousand years old and have been commanding armies and pioneering tactics for much of that time. Having an executor of his divine will capable of some thought beyond mindless battle, is of great benefit to my lord.”

“So… you’re a tactician? A general? How does someone sit at the back of a formation and claim glory in Agathor’s name?” Orodan asked.

“And who said a general cannot lead from the front? The history books speak of a flaming greatsword leading charges into the thick of battle while also subtly directing formations, executing stratagems and most importantly… managing logistics before and after.”

Orodan couldn’t help but be a bit flummoxed. The Chosen One of the God of War wasn’t what he was expecting. He thought someone with the demeanor of himself would be more likely to be a Chosen of Agathor. But, it made sense.

This venerable elder before him… not only lived and breathed war and battle, but also studied and meditated on it in a more intellectual sense too. Who knew how much of the tactics used in warfare today were pioneered and developed by this man over the course of his life?

“So then… what have I been doing wrong so far?” Orodan asked, his mindset finally shifting into one of humility and willingness to learn and see where he could do better.

“Before I start allow me to clarify that your work ethic, the stubborn drive that pushes you to die thousands of times to acquire simply a single skill, is excellent. You have the spirit of a true warrior,” the old general explained. “But your decisions throughout the loops could use some work… such an utter lack of efficiency…”

“How so?”

“For starters, how did it take you this long to consider getting a formal education? Surely Adeltaj has explained to you by now how important it is to know of the world?” Arvayne rhetorically asked. “Your progress could have been doubled if you simply knew where to go, the most efficient way of going about things, and whatnot. For instance, instead of wasting time trying to train your Mythical skill against an Avatar - which is incredibly dangerous given their ability to permanently damage souls - you could have simply fled to Guzuhar immediately and trained there, but even that wouldn’t be necessary if you’d just thought to approach the Chosen of any other God but Ilyatana and maybe Halor.”

“My experience with Gods had been rather negative till that point,” Orodan tried to justify.

“A negative experience with the tyrannical Goddess of Fate does not necessarily mean the same with the others,” the elder calmly spoke. “Did you never stop and consider that it was only diviners of Ilyatana and her faithful that were tracking you during those loops? Did you never think to approach a Chosen of Agathor or any other God for protection?”

“I didn’t know who the Chosen were… even the existence of Masters was but a rumor when I was growing up,” Orodan admitted.

“Something you are thankfully looking to rectify now. If you had a formal education, you would know of where to go and what to do. Facing down an Avatar by yourself at your level… did not need to happen. You have time, and there are ways to train against divine energy that involve less risk of permanent soul damage.”

“And what are some of those ways?”

“Finding artifacts that channel divine energy and using them as a training aid to resist the divine energy. It’s how I trained myself to channel Agathor’s energy better for when he descends unto me as an Avatar,” the Firesword explained, and Orodan admitted he could see the logic in it. “There are museums and vaults that hold such artifacts, you could have broken in, stolen it and fled at your level of strength.”

“Should you be advocating such things?”

“You’re in a time loop, laws and morals are a relic of your first life which will only hold you back. You must do what you need to in order to succeed young man. Do you think we Grandmasters got to where we are by perfectly following every little rule and law?” Arvayne asked. “I had to seize every chance and lucky opportunity that came my way, even if it meant stepping on somebody else.”

Ruthless, Orodan thought. But then again, he grew up the same. Killing another boy over food was something he had done before the time loops. Who was he to disagree with this philosophy.

“Anyhow, you should have trained your Eldritch Resistance in a similar manner… you nearly experienced a permanent end in that loop from what you tell me. Did it not cross your mind to try seeking out some naturally occurring Eldritch creatures in the deep depths and beyond before you were to encounter an Avatar of multiple Eldritch Gods?”

“It… did not,” Orodan had to admit. His habit of simply rushing into situations like a charging goat wasn’t exactly efficient he was learning.

“Frankly, some form of Psionic Resistance should have been one of the first things you prioritized once you realized you were in a time loop. Mental attacks are one of the few things alongside soul damage that can cause lasting harm in your situation. That Mythical skill you have that churns your soul is a mere stopgap measure, you should immediately prioritize the Soul Defense skill.”

And so on the lecture went.

Arvayne Firesword was a fair critic. His methods of training in the loops for each skill were complimented for the things he’d done right, but also criticized. And Orodan felt as though the criticisms outnumbered the praise.

But Orodan couldn’t even protest as every single thing the ancient Chosen One pointed out was entirely logical.

Orodan initially thought to argue that the old man’s critiques were steering him into too safe of a direction for growth, that he wouldn’t have gotten to where he was without a sense of daring and willingness to take risks. But the man then countered by saying that the danger wasn’t the issue, it was the lack of efficiency and direction.

He was chided for not trying to obtain several basic active combat skills such as Lunge, Multi-Strike and Taunt, which would have amplified his battle power further since energy consumption wasn’t an issue for him. He was further chastised for not attempting to combine skills to make a skill of higher rarity, something Orodan didn’t even know was possible.

These critiques all tied back to Orodan’s lack of a formal education which would have taught him that such things were possible, and in an academy the teachers would have actively worked with him to unlock new skills and combine them given his level of talent.

“If anything, this loop is incredibly important. You’re actually going to be receiving an education for the first time and once you have it, it will multiply your rate of growth dramatically. New skills, potential skill combinations, items which bolster and aid in training, alchemical potions, rare treasures and training areas… you haven’t used any of these things before,” the old man explained. “It boggles my mind how utterly impossible your talent is to make it this far and have so many skills at such absurd rarities without even training efficiently. If you had an education earlier… imagine the heights you would be at now.”

Orodan was both thoroughly shamed and praised at the same time.

He always felt that academies were institutions with books and learning and had nothing to offer him that he could not obtain through battle and hard work.

But… if they instead taught him the knowledge of what he could do to multiply his rate of progress? Perhaps receiving a formal education would make a real difference for Orodan.

“Thank you for your guidance… truly… but I missed the date I was supposed to start. I was fighting the worm for two whole weeks,” Orodan replied, and the old man could only shake his head.

“The Bluefire Academy accepts new students year-round. Especially if they’re as monstrous as you. Your entrance date will not be an issue, rather it will draw attention as someone entering late implies they’re an exceptional talent.” Arvayne Firesword explained. “But you’ll have to moderate your strength at least somewhat lest you kill anyone or cause me headaches as I have to make up some excuse that you’re a reincarnator who hasn’t fully unlocked their memories. Beating Masters is ludicrous but within possible expectations, but avoid beating any Grandmasters in public. And try to avoid making too many ridiculous breakthroughs in front of other students, your progress will skyrocket rapidly with proper support and guidance. So try to do most of your experimentation in the private training chambers.”

“Then… you’re going to help me with this situation moving forward? Why?”

“Even if you weren’t in a time loop, a talent like you in my house is an auspicious occasion. Ignatius is a good lad, but he lacks potential. The Firesword name has lacked anyone strong for a while and I tire of watching the house stagnate as it has without even a Master to its name,” Arvayne explained. “But mainly, the descent of that Eldritch Avatar you speak of is concerning, if it truly did destroy everything after a year as you said… then it’s in my best interests to ensure you grow strong enough to beat it. Agathor has also decreed I assist you to this end.”

“And I won’t have to worry about Ilyatana hunting me down?”

“Agathor is the strongest of the Prime Five. Moving forward, find me in Karilsgard in each loop, explain your situation and prove your claims and her meddling will not trouble you.”

“So all those loops I spent trying to desperately find some way to hide myself from the eyes of a Goddess… I could’ve just sought out a Chosen of Agathor?” Orodan asked, both the old man and himself. Could the solution truly have been so simple if he had known what to do?

“Yes, and that’s why an education and knowing about the world is important. So many problems you had could’ve been solved far more efficiently if you simply knew the common things that an academy will teach you,” the ancient Arvayne explained. “But make no mistake, the lessons you learned and the hard work you put in were quite valuable in their own way. Some of the skills you obtained… I’ve never heard any documented methods of acquiring. The academies are fantastic tools… but they also spoil the youth and hand them everything without any adversity at times. In this regard, your low beginnings and being forced to learn the value of hard work are the biggest advantages you have. Do not allow the silver spoon of the Bluefire Academy to make you lazy and complacent.”

“Of course not, nothing can compare to the rate of progress gained from life and death battles and pushing myself to the very limit with dangerous experimentation,” Orodan immediately replied. “Can I even call myself a warrior if I allowed myself to slack?”

“You would be surprised how often people are spoiled by a bit of flattery and pampering,” the old man spoke. “Now, let us go over more particulars about this time loop and what some good courses of action might be.”

“I’m surprised you so willingly believe me,” Orodan remarked.

“Agathor verifies the oddities such as him not recalling giving you two Blessings. And your power is impossible. Even the strongest reincarnator I’ve known wasn’t as strong as you at this point of his life. A time loop is the only explanation that makes sense,” the elder Firesword answered. “Now then, let’s talk about what your next steps will be.


The discussion lasted for another hour. Adeltaj and Kuonthus exchanged pleasantries and had left quickly once Arvayne Firesword began earnestly lecturing Orodan, citing some poorly thought out excuses as though they were desperate to get away.

He was instructed about how to best approach certain problems. He was given a brief rundown on who to avoid and what the political relations of House Firesword were, and who the associated hidden powers behind their enemies were.

For starters, the Chosen One of Ilyatana, Heredin Aeronsul, was also a triple-Grandmaster, although old man Arvayne was confident that not only could he defeat Heredin in a regular fight, if both were empowered to Avatar state he would also beat Ilyatana’s faithful. House Aeronsul also mainly held its base of power in the Eastern regions of the Republic, whereas House Firesword and Volarbury County were closer to the Capital. So Orodan's odds of running into House Aeronsul's operations or territories were low.

But it wasn’t Heredin Aeronsul who Orodan was cautioned to be most wary of. It was someone who hadn’t shown up as response to Orodan’s earth-shaking battle with the worm.

House Rockwood were known rivals of House Firesword. A while ago they had attempted to come by Burgher Ignatius’s manor and bully him, only to be turned away by the presence of Arvayne Firesword.

House Rockwood was an aggressive house with plenty of powerful Elites and unconfirmed Master-level individuals serving in the Capital Guard and the Republic military. They were always attempting to greedily expand through coercion, poaching talents and bullying. People they offended in the process were smoothed over via bribery, or appealing to friends in powerful places. They were possibly the house that had expanded the most since the Republic’s formation. They operated under the leadership of Alarduin Rockwood, the nominal head of house. And protecting them was another Chosen One.

The hidden powerhouse behind them was a Chosen One of Halor, the God of Life and Nature. Alcianne Rockwood.

Arvayne outright admitted to Orodan that in a fight between himself and Alcianne Rockwood, Arvayne did not hold the advantage. The woman was a healer and unarmed fighter of incredible power, and her healing in tandem with her wrestling and unarmed abilities… made her a fearsome foe to battle.

While Arvayne and Alcianne themselves didn’t have any conflict or rivalry, the same couldn’t be said of their houses. So Orodan was cautioned about going too far and provoking House Rockwood to call upon their Grandmaster-level powerhouse. He was told that House Rockwood would certainly attempt to test and provoke him given their rivalry with House Firesword.

As for the problem of the Eldritch Avatar, Arvayne told him that Agathor would be working on mobilizing the Prime Five to head to the northern continent to lend their aid against this dire threat near the end of the year.

Orodan could only wait and see if the addition of five more powerful Gods and their Avatars would make a difference in the battle in this loop.

About the time loop and his training itself, Orodan was given a brief list of who some important people were to contact and given a long and extensive paper list of what potential skills and fields of study he might focus on and what their benefits might be. Some of the esoteric fields and skills, he didn’t even know existed!

And naturally, he was told to keep the fact that he was in a time loop, a secret. Currently only Adeltaj, Arvayne and Kuonthus Vexelthun were the three people who were aware of this aside from the God of War himself. Arvayne assured him that the three of them were allied and that Orodan needn’t worry about the information getting out. And if it did, Agathor’s protection would still prevent any Avatars of the Prime Five from descending.

Then came the issue of his level of strength. While the other Grandmasters who left and were coerced into not pressing the issue by Arvayne would have an inkling of Orodan’s strength, they would be fed the lie that Orodan was a reincarnator who had yet to awaken his memories and also had a powerful Bloodline and Blessings from Agathor. This would explain Agathor’s interest in him to outside eyes.

But, Arvayne Firesword still cautioned him against actually revealing his level of strength. Currently, the logical assumption was that he had been empowered and been host to an Avatar to defeat the worm. And it would be in Orodan’s best interests to play along with this assumption and let the Grandmasters assume it was the reason for his strength. This theory also played into Agathor’s interest in him via Arvayne, and the assumption would be that he was a powerful Favored of Agathor, which was in a sense true as he had two blessings from the Inuanan God of War.

Finally, from what Orodan was told, the collapsed tunnels leading to the energy well would slowly be excavated and the path rebuilt, albeit with a proper joint expedition composed of Republic military and powerful Grandmasters. Even Arvayne would participate when the time came. The energy well was simply too important of a resource to let lie, as one that extended so deep could have rare resources at the lower levels that even Grandmasters would like to get their hands on.

Until then, and while the excavation worked, the depths would be under constant monitor by a team of Elite earth mages with a high level in Seismic Sense, to ensure that no unwelcome intruders decided to burrow upwards from the well. Which would be unlikely given that monsters preferred soaking in the rich density of world energy nearer to the well.

In somewhat good news though, Arvayne had managed to argue that since Orodan killed the worm underneath, the corpse would go to House Firesword and due to them clearing out the centipedes and actually discovering the well, the Dothril deposits in the chamber where the well’s opening was… would also go to House Firesword. Which was a tremendous gain of wealth for the house and would pay back Orodan’s sponsorship a hundred times over.

Sadly, there was no word on the centipedes who’d struck an accord with him. Orodan could only hold slim hope that they had made it out elsewhere through the other branch of tunnels they took before he went down the energy well. He resolved to get strong enough to kill the worm without causing such collateral destruction in future loops.

“I believe that will be all. I haven’t spoken this much to someone in a while, and I tire of this and wish to go back to my meditations,” Arvayne said. “Your new start date for the academy is tomorrow, everything has been arranged by Ignatius at my command.”

“I… am grateful. You’ve told me so much, I don’t think I’ve ever learned as much from anyone as I have you,” Orodan sincerely spoke. “Is there any way I can repay this favor in the future?”

“Bah, just find a way to kill that thing descending from the stars and I’ll consider it more than repaid,” the old man brushed off. “I wouldn’t complain either if you decided that helping House Firesword in future loops was a priority.”

“Honestly, your house gives me a luxurious level of freedom. The Burgher doesn’t question my background or insist I reveal my Status. I don’t think the Capital Guard or military would allow me the same leeway if I were to accept their offers of sponsorship,” Orodan replied. “Just the convenience alone would make me want to associate with the Fireswords every time.”

Arvayne and he exchanged a few more words before he left Orodan be and finally every Grandmaster had left the area. But there were still many Elite and Master-level individuals around, and Orodan decided to cross the distance and walk up to the House Firesword group to finally speak to the Burgher himself.

The man looked frazzled, as though the stress of the events had added ten years to his face.

“Burgher, apologies for the interruption. As I was saying, I partially succeeded in the task you gave me,” Orodan said with a smile, and the Burgher looked as though he was going to explode.


In truth, Burgher Ignatius Firesword, who was merely at the level of a powerful Elite, was not an individual who could meaningfully lecture Orodan. He couldn’t have before when Orodan showed how easily he could best regular Elites, but now?

Now when rumors were abounding that he slew a ferocious monster underneath the mines and discovered an energy well? That he was the cause for the tremors that had lasted for more than two weeks? That the Grandmasters had muttered whispers of him being host to an Avatar?

Under such heavy scrutiny and the investigation around the tremors the Elite retainers of House Firesword had also been interrogated about the situation, and as much as they wanted to keep a secret, when the Grandmaster Arvayne Firesword asked them of what happened and people with lie detection skills were present… they could only begrudgingly add their own details about how Orodan had slain the horde of centipedes by himself.

Truly, his attempts at remaining under the radar in this loop had gone to the hells.

But, regardless of the difference in personal power between the two of them, Burgher Ignatius seemed to have faith enough in Orodan’s character that he gave him a worried lecture about staying safe all the same. It was almost touching.

“Anyhow, I trust you will exercise prudence from now on Mister Wainwright… if I might speak honestly, my house cannot afford to lose a young man as powerful as you, not to such risky ventures,” the Burgher spoke with a serious tone. “The Firesword name has stagnated for too long, and people are now talking about us from all the way in Karilsgard thanks to you.”

“Oh? And what are they saying?” Orodan asked.

“Our supporters and those who have pleasant acquaintanceship with us are of course speaking highly of the talented young man who will help revolutionize the banner of the flaming sword and spread our power to the capital itself. Somewhere we’ve never really had a strong foothold in aside from my duties as one of many members of the council,” Burgher Ignatius answered. “But those with a… lukewarm disposition towards House Firesword are muttering that we’ve gotten lucky and that you’re a golden goose who won’t stay with a ‘failing house' such as ours for long.”

Personally Orodan felt the ‘failing house’ comment was a bit exaggerated. House Firesword was rather well known and powerful within Volarbury County… but who knew? Maybe it said something about their power that they simply let House Argon run rampant in Ogdenborough inside their county for so long.

“Well, I have no interest in going anywhere else for the time being, and wherever I do go it will be with the interests of your house in mind,” Orodan answered, and the Burgher’s face lightened. “You and the old man have done a lot for me.”

“On the topic of the ‘old man’, I believe the honored ancestor spoke to you about the arrangements made for your slightly delayed entry to the Bluefire Academy?” the Burgher asked, and Orodan nodded. “Good! It’s as he said, I’ve made arrangements for you to enter tomorrow. A griffin straight to the academy and your own personal student guide will be waiting for you. As for classes, you need not worry about missing the first two weeks. The faculty have been informed and you’ll have personal tutors assigned to you. Your lodgings will be befitting of someone of your stature as well.”

“This all sounds a bit much Burgher… you know I’m not fond of making grand entrances even if I agree to them for your sake. But personal tutors and rich lodgings too?” Orodan asked.

“My young friend, such things are merely part of what the Bluefire Academy offers to its students. Are you perhaps concerned about the costs? Don’t be,” the man explained. “The tuition fee at Bluefire is extravagant, and every student at that academy is either a talent well-worth cultivating or the child of very wealthy nobility who can afford such a good education for their progeny.”

Orodan was starting to realize now that the stories he heard of academies growing up were about the ones that were bottom barrel or middling. The name Bluefire was spoken of as though it was a fairy tale, and nobody he spoke to in his first life had ever met someone associated - even tangentially - with that academy.

It was the finest academy in the Republic and world-renowned for a reason. Their alumni counted several famous and powerful individuals. And students often went on to become members of prestigious organizations or work in highly specialized and lucrative fields.

A part of Orodan, the uneducated bumpkin, still felt as though he was stepping into a fantastical story of wonder when he dwelled on the fact that he the orphaned street rat from Ogdenborough would be attending the Bluefire Academy.

He came from the lowest of beginnings, but he had come far. However, despite the time loop a small part of him still recalled the days when he was but a young man dreaming of reaching the Adept-level over the course of his life and then butchering the harpies around his town so he could sleep restfully.

He didn’t need to sleep anymore, which was strange. The System and skill levels allowed for some incredible things, but Orodan had never quite paused to reflect on the fact that he could destroy ten miles in a single All-Strike nowadays thanks to all his skill levels.

Sometimes it felt as though he was a rat in a wheel, running furiously so that the contraption would light up further. But Orodan didn’t mind being the rat who ran non-stop, and seeing the contraption light up brought him joy.

For Orodan, being the stubborn and driven rat who ran like a rabid beast… was a point of pride. His upbringing had taught him that hard work was the only thing that could change his lot in life.

Even as he starved while a street rat, even as he fought with the other children for scraps before he was finally enrolled in the orphanage, and even when he still struggled while under their care due to the poverty of the town… his Status and skill levels were the one constant he had.

Getting pummeled by the guards of House Argon, stealing from the vendors around town, intimidating the other children into getting what he needed to survive… and killing another boy his age in an alleyway for a stale piece of meat. It was all a part of who he was, his desperate struggle to survive and secure a better lot in life for himself.

And most importantly, all this had taught him that his skill levels would go up the worse the experience he went through.

Tomorrow, he would show these coddled rich youths from wealthy families what the difference between him and them was. To them, an education was something to advance themselves, a natural course of their lives.

But for him who had nothing and had struggled like a desperate dog for so long without any real direction? An education would be a world-shaking multiplier.

He would take every advantage of this opportunity that he could get.

But before that, it was time to pay someone an impromptu visit.


The rays of dawn shone through the windows of the master bedroom in Eldragon manor, illuminating the cup of tea in his hand as he sat across from pleasant company.

Orodan didn’t know why he had a preference for women with strange and mysterious demeanors, but here he was sitting across from the mystifying and charming Katareya Eldragon.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had tea before,” Orodan remarked. It was strangely sweet, but with a hint of… something herbal underlying it?

“Tea in the mornings is a somewhat dear tradition in this household,” the woman replied as she sipped on hers in a dainty manner. “And I would be a poor host if I didn’t offer a cherished guest a cup.”

“Your children aren’t here today?” Orodan asked while trying to ignore the heat creeping up his neck at the way she emphasized ‘cherished guest’. There was certainly a lot of cherishing the night prior.

“Not so. Novus is at the academy and little Luci is off apprenticing with her blacksmith master. It is a day of the work week after all,” she remarked with a teasing smirk which implied Orodan too would have work to get to today. “Of course, with both of them gone it can get lonely in the manor on working days. So your company is appreciated darling.”

He returned her smile and spoke. “Lucifreya apprentices under a blacksmith? I… didn’t quite picture her working with metal when we first met.”

“Well, if your gaze wasn’t so focused upon myself at the party once I spoke, you might have noticed the roughness in her hands and how awkwardly she fit into that dress,” Katareya spoke with a teasing smirk which caused Orodan to clear his throat in embarrassment. “Truly… to think I actually dressed her up with the intent of catching your eye… some things are best left to the experienced it seems.”

Orodan had an inkling that her daughter was the one intended to try and woo him, but it still caught him off guard for her to so brazenly admit to it in front of him.

“Oh, don’t give me that look,” Katareya lightly scolded. “It’s a common custom to try and tie powerful people to a family. Even where you grew up, did you not have at least one or two people talking about their daughters to you? I simply do away with the pretense of pretending it doesn’t happen.”

Which was a fair point. Orodan could recall long ago being spoken to by his neighbors about how a hard-working young man like him should have friends, and their daughters and sons happening to approach him shortly after. Not that those situations went anywhere aside from perhaps one brief tryst he had with the tailor’s daughter.

“You’re not wrong,” Orodan muttered while still embarrassed. “Anyways, I almost forgot to ask, but which academy does Novus attend?” he asked, trying to steer the conversation in a less flustering trajectory, which Katareya caught onto given the smirk on her face. But she mercifully let him move on.

“The same one you’ll be going to dear boy,” she answered. “He’s a second year student at the Bluefire Academy. He’s doing quite well too, although not at the point where it becomes news-worthy.”

“Ah, you heard about that?” Orodan asked. They hadn’t talked very much when Orodan had decided to visit last night, so the actual conversation about the events in Jerestir was being broached now.

“Given how Lady Lakshiya essentially ordered us all to delve deep into the threads of fate and scour it for any trace of one Orodan Wainwright, I would say I more than just heard of it,” she answered. “The Lady isn’t usually so zealous in giving out an order, so it can only mean her senior must have directed her to do so. Caught the attention of a Chosen One have you?”

“You seem awfully calm and accepting of this, shouldn’t you be attempting to divine me as we speak?”

“I’m off the clock until another two hours, and that would just be impolite,” Katareya explained with a delightful smile. “And I try not to make a habit of non-consensually divining combat specialists who are sitting right in front of me. Even if it’s a sweet thing like you… such a habit isn’t good for the life expectancy of a diviner.”

Orodan wouldn’t think of hurting Katareya, but he had to admit her line of thought was logical. Orodan was a warrior, a combat specialist, he was the one called upon to battle and fight foes. But not everybody in society was a combat specialist.

Lady Katareya Eldragon was an Elite-level diviner of the Cathedral… but she was a diviner. Her combat skills would undoubtedly be of a low level, and she likely knew and accepted her place in society as a non-combatant.

To her, offending a combat specialist like Orodan would be a rather foolish move without anyone of equivalent power around to protect her. The daily life, social position and norms of someone like her who wasn’t a fighter… was different to Orodan. In a sense, they could be said to live in two different worlds.

Orodan’s world was one where he would brashly approach people with little regard for manners, and if they fought, so be it. Fighting was what he did. Even before he was strong, he was still daring and reckless.

Katareya Eldragon’s world however was a different one. It was a world where she had to navigate complex social relationships and power dynamics, remain aware of politics and always watch how she spoke lest she offend someone who could simply kill her. Her deceased husband was a fighter, but an Elite only, which meant she still had to maintain a sense of caution and decorum. She had a certain amount of protection under the Cathedral, but combatants among the faithful couldn’t always be around, and there were limits to how far their protection extended if Katareya were to hypothetically offend someone too strong.

Orodan’s personal strength then, was a freedom, a privilege he earned through his might. Most people in society didn’t have the privilege to speak as freely or act as recklessly as he did, even without a time loop being brought into consideration.

“You look as though you have a lot on your mind. Do you perhaps think I fear you harming me?” she asked. “Worry not, you seem like a young man of good character, and I like to think I’m a good judge of it.”

But Orodan felt uncomfortable the longer he dwelled on it. He had killed… a lot of people. His entire existence was battle, violence and bloodshed or perfecting better ways to engage in it.

Even in his first life he had killed a boy over a piece of stale jerky. He didn’t understand how or why Katareya felt so safe in having a dalliance with him. Even in the way she spoke to him, it was a big risk she was taking. Perhaps seducing him was her own way of being daring and seeking to expand within the system of social bounds that a non-combatant like her was in? It was the most thinking on social and power dynamics that Orodan had done in a while.

“You… are a rather daring woman huh?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Nothing… don’t mind me. I just feel as though I got a glimpse into another world for a moment,” Orodan answered, and Katareya’s narrowed eyes told him that for once, it was her that was caught on the backfoot at not being able to understand someone.

“Hmmph… well it’s good to see you actually thinking and using that brain of yours young man,” she haughtily said in an attempt to recover. “You’ll need it for the academy, given that you have at least two weeks of classes to catch up on.”

They spoke for a few more minutes as they sipped the excellently prepared tea, and finally the sound of a griffin’s wings beating could be heard approaching the manor.

“As delightful as this rendezvous has been, I must go now Lady Katareya,” Orodan said as he rose from the chair. “I believe my ride to the academy awaits.”

“Ah, how time passes when one is having a good time,” she remarked. “Do tell Novus his mother misses him won’t you?” she asked and then not so subtly winked at him.

Orodan would not be telling Novus that, and he ignored her teasing request and amused smirk.

As he exited the Eldragon manor and made way for the two griffins waiting for him on the landing zone outside, he mentally called forth his Status.

He now had three Elite-level skills, and his Status was looking monstrous and would only grow more so.

[Name: Orodan Wainwright

Age: 17

Title 1: Grandmaster Slayer

Title 2: One Who Has Experienced Death

Title 3: Sword Elite

Available Titles: One Who Has Experienced Death, Sword Elite, Shield Adept, Physical Adept, Unarmed Combat Adept, Grandmaster Slayer, Wrestling Adept, Cleaning Apprentice, Woodworking Apprentice, Wielder Of A Mythical Skill

Rewards: Permanent +3 Action Increase

Skills: Sword Mastery 72 (Elite), Mana Black Hole 70 (Elite - Legendary), Unyielding Vitality 70 (Elite - Rare), Unarmed Combat Mastery 69 (Adept), Shield Mastery 69 (Adept), Death Rage 69 (Adept - Exquisite), Combat Mastery 68 (Adept), Physical Fitness 67 (Adept), Weapon Aura 64 (Adept - Rare), Iron Body 64 (Adept - Exquisite), Pain Resistance 63 (Adept), Bleeding Control 62 (Adept), Damage Mitigation 61 (Adept), Power Strike 61 (Adept - Uncommon), Dying Struggle 59 (Adept - Uncommon), Eternal Soul Reactor 59 (Adept - Mythical), Soul Manipulation 58 (Initiate - Rare), Psionic Resistance 58 (Adept - Exquisite) Impregnable Bladewall 57 (Adept - Exquisite), Perfect Parry 56 (Adept - Uncommon), Wrestling 53 (Adept), Shield Throw 53 (Adept - Uncommon), Evasiveness 48 (Apprentice - Uncommon), Mana Resistance 44 (Apprentice - Legendary), Eldritch Resistance 43 (Apprentice - Mythical) Tool Mastery 43 (Apprentice), Woodworking 41 (Apprentice), All-Strike 41 (Apprentice - Legendary), Impact Resistance 39 (Apprentice), Wood Communion 38 (Apprentice - Legendary), Cleaning 34 (Apprentice), Surprise Attack 32 (Apprentice), Sprinting 31 (Apprentice), Fate Reading 31 (Apprentice - Uncommon), Regeneration 29 (Initiate - Exquisite), Laboring 29 (Initiate), Mana Manipulation 26 (Initiate - Uncommon), Construction 21 (Initiate), Vitality Destruction 21 (Initiate - Exquisite) War Cry 20 (Initiate - Rare), Slashing Resistance 19 (Initiate - Rare), Piercing Resistance 18 (Initiate - Rare), Club Mastery 15 (Initiate), Soul Strengthening 14 (Initiate - Legendary), Lightning Resistance 14 (Initiate - Exquisite), Lumberjacking 11 (Initiate), Parkour 11 (Initiate), Fate Disconnect 13 (Initiate - Legendary), Maintenance 8 (Initiate), Vitality Black Hole 8 (Initiate - Legendary) Intimidation 7 (Initiate), Repair 7 (Initiate), Thievery 6 (Initiate), Deception 4 (Initiate), Pathfinding 4 (Initiate),

Blessings: Warrior’s Heart - Increased talent and learning rate for all warrior related skills as determined by Agathor, Warrior’s Quarry - Once you see your target they cannot flee. Your attacks will land on fleeing or evading foes and destiny will bend to ensure you find your mark, Death’s Call - Whenever you will it, Death takes you, Trickster’s Veil - Your Status, fate and soul are impossible to peer into unless you will it]

He left his titles as is. Given the Blessing of Ozgaric upon him he wasn’t concerned with anyone being able to peer into his Status or his soul which blazed like a beacon to anyone with Soul Sense.

His Status was monstrous, but now it was time to see just what insane growth he could achieve in the greatest academy in the Republic.

If he had come so far without any proper education, guidance or external resources. Then what could he do with countless teachers, training aids, rare resources and items that would bolster his growth?

It was time to find out and get a formal education in the Bluefire Academy.

41