8. Power Dynamics
366 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Power Dynamics

 

          Presently, I was sitting across from Alyx in her small kitchen. I didn't know what the time of day was when I arrived, but it was currently pitch black outside. Only the light of wax candles illuminated the room we were in and Alyx looked particularly haggard as she stood up to go to her pantry. "You'll have to forgive me yet again, I'm afraid. I lack the energy to prepare a meal so late in the night. I hope you don't mind preserved food?" I felt rather guilty for her state, as she had spent the last several hours filling me in on the knowledge I would obviously lack, only stopping twice for a drink. There was quite a bit more to say, honestly, but that could wait for later - for when I needed it, specifically. "That's fine. As long as it's not hardtack, I'll eat just about anything." That got a small chuckle out of her, as she pulled what looked like jerky and nuts from her shelves.

She walked over, passing me a handful of nuts and setting the wrapped meat on the table, and began to talk more as we ate. "I suppose there is one last thing to speak of: the levels of power found here. It's quite simple really. Most are born as 'Mortals' as everyone has a soul, and thus everyone has some power to exert on the world around them. Some are born a level higher, as a 'Novice', though this is quite rare. Then, we have the 'Postulants' - it is also possible to be born as a postulant, but this happens rare enough so as to not be mentioned. These three are regarded as the 'Natural Realms' as one could be born into any of them, and one can advance to the level of a Postulant by simply breathing.

Up to this level, you are regarded as a toddler in the realms of strength. After that you have the 'Mortal Realms': Acolyte, Apprentice, Journeyman, Adept, Expert. These Realms are all subdivided further into Initiate, Intermediate, and Advanced. Past the Mortal Realms are the 4 'Nascent Divinity Realms' and beyond that is the 'Demi-God Realm'. Anything further hasn't ever been recorded, to my knowledge." She finished with a long breath, just as I finished the last cup of the soothing tea.

After we had our fill, she eyed me from head to toe, particularly focusing on the latter - thankfully, there wasn't a hint of lust in her eyes. "Hmm, I've only just realized but you'll need clothes won't you? Hells, you'll need everything..." She was scratching her head, her face scrunched in worry and guilt. "Haah, I can give you some footwraps, I guess. Maybe I can whip something up from some spare cloth for your undergarments and some wooden sandals..?" She was muttering under her breath, pacing in front of me again. Seems to be a habit, that. Clearing my throat, I grab her attention. "Actually, I'm rather good with a needle, and I've got materials on hand to fix myself up something simple as well."

"Hmm...? I don't mean to be rude, but... All you have is that robe, correct?" I laughed, pushing as much arrogance into it as I could. "You would think so, wouldn't you? Behold!" As I shouted, I snapped my fingers - calling out a bolt of luxurious cloth I had kept for crafting my own robes. …Or at least, it should have come out... maybe I should've tested it before making a big deal out of it, huh? That was fricken embarrassing. With a small cough, Alyx went over to a drawer, pulled out a small tin, and placed it onto the table with an unmasked look of pity. "I-It's okay, I'm sure you're still confused from the summoning. I'll be right back with some spare cloth."

She turned and walked out, and all I could do was slump over, my face burning with embarrassment. "Uuuugh, why did I do that? Was I really trying to show off!? Now I just look like some addled kid!" I cupped my face and began kicking the air, my feet didn't even touch the ground in these chairs - something I was doing my best to ignore till now. "Biggest priority for now is getting taller and figuring out my soul-pocket... not necessarily in that order." As I was wallowing in my humiliation, I heard a small creak and light steps making their way towards me. "I'll try my best to make something comfortable, but the most I've done is sewing holes and making small patches - so no promises okay?" Of course, she didn't even think I could really sew, did she?

I looked up, seeing her sitting down opposite me yet again, struggling to even thread the needle. "Ugh, just let me see it, Alyx. I've been making my own clothes for years now, just trust me." She fixed me with an incredulous look, either at my statement or my casual speech. I held out my hand and she placed the implement in it with skepticism. Immediately, I threaded the needle and picked up several rags of differing size. "You said you could spare me some wrappings, right? I'll just make some basic sandals to not ruin them. I can purchase undergarments in town, so as to not waste your cloth. Okay?" I was completely focused on the small task in front of me and only looked at her when I finished, an expectant look on my face, waiting for her answer.

"Huh? Oh! Yes, yes that's all fine. U-Um, if you don't mind my asking... How old are you exactly? I had thought you weren't yet an adult given your, well... *Ahem*, but your skill with a needle is masterful." I flinched at the allusion to my height, but I couldn't hold it against her. The change I had gone through recently had added a bit more healthy fat and color to my face, giving me even more of a youthful appearance only compounded by my size. 'All in due time, Xerin. All in due time... Hmm would she believe me if I told her for real?'

Seeing no reason to lie, I answered honestly. "I'm 526, last I checked." I say with a completely straight face. She seems to choke, and then laugh out loud. "Hahaha! I would've struggled to believe 26! Much less 500 years more!" She continued to laugh, apparently missing my eyebrow twitching and mouth curling in distaste. She stood up and walked around the table and put a hand on my head, "I understand wanting to seem more mature at your age, but you shouldn't overdo it Xerin. Even the oldest Master Wizards aren't much over 300."

'Yeah, that right there is a line.' I grabbed her wrist and removed her hand from my head, hopping from my seat to look her in the eye. In my anger, I unconsciously released some pressure on Alyx from my soul. She began to sweat and shiver, wilting under my gaze. As I let go of her wrist, she fell to her knees and stammered out an apology, her hands clasped in front of her. "I-I'm sorry! I don't know what I was th-thinking, speaking to you like that! Pl-please spare me, Adept!"

When I had let her go, I was prepared to scold her for judging me by my appearance and let her know that such an attitude was dangerous, but she was really freaking out. Startled from my anger, the pressure released and Alyx collapsed onto her hands, tears, sweat and snot dripping onto the floor. "Whoa, Alyx! Are you okay?!" I rushed to her, attempting to help her up into a seat but she recoiled from me, curling up and keeping her eyes fixed on the ground. She was breathing heavily, face drawn and pale, as if she just had a brush with death and came out barely unscathed. "Hey, hey," I spoke softly, trying not to startle her further and to get her to explain why in the world she was acting like this. "What's happening Alyx? I'm not mad, no ones gonna hurt you, alright?"

As I spoke, continuously trying to calm the distraught woman in front of me, she eventually raised her head to look at me. She flinched away the first time, but looked again with some more coaxing. When she finally looked me in the eye, I asked softly, "So, what was that? If I scared you so much, then I'm sorry, but I truly don't know what's happening right now." Her face slowly melted into disbelief, then confusion, and finally settled on some mix of shame, anger and relief. "A-ah... you didn't know..?" She muttered and slowly stood up. Then, she walked over to the chair and collapsed into it, completely exhausted. All I could do was fetch her another glass of water, and wait for her to calm down completely. "R-Right. Y-You... do you truly not know anything about souls? You just poured a mountain of pressure onto me. T-That was..." She trailed off with a shudder, a haunted look in her eyes. 

I shook my head, and decided to explain a bit more about my situation. "Where I'm from, we used... lets say, a different form of magic altogether. So this soul stuff is all new to me. Whatever I did, it was totally unintentional, I'm sorry." I bowed my head, asking for her forgiveness. She sighed softly and I looked up to her covering her face with her hands and leaning back in the chair. "Haaaah, whatever, it's fine, I guess. You didn't know, no harm done." She shook her head, and went to brew another pot of tea, a different kind apparently. "Okay, it's probably best to teach by example in this case, would you mind if I put my pressure on you?" She had set the water to boil and turned to face me, a hint of anger in her eyes. A small sigh escaped with a light shake of my head at her look, "Fair's fair, I guess."

She nodded, clasped her hands in front of her in a strange hand-sign, and inhaled deeply. At the end of what seemed to be a small ritual I felt a loosely threaded, weighted net fall on my shoulders. It didn't quite hinder my movements, but it was noticeable and annoying. I felt clumsier, even if only a little bit. Alyx took another deep breath and let it out slowly, the pressure on me waning with her exhale. "So, what you felt just now was the concentrated pressure of an Initiate Apprentice Wizard. From what I felt you're easily an Adept. If that was all you had, at least. So imagine what you felt, but multiplied 30 fold in quality and about 10-fold in quantity and you'll understand what I've been through..." She turned around and gripped the counter in front of her, her hands still slightly shaking.

I sat, quietly munching on a bit of meat that was left, facing towards her back as she poured a cup of tea and downed it in one breath. 'This seems more like a trauma response than anything else... Fuck, I really messed up huh?' I heaved a deep sigh, and hopped from the chair again. Alyx, hearing me land, stiffened for a split second before turning around to see me bowing my head. "I'm sorry Alyx, I truly did not mean any harm." I lifted my head and locked eyes with her and, to her credit, she didn't flinch at all "I am, in fact, much older than you might believe, and it was never my intention to make you go through something so painful." She closed her eyes and seemed to relax ever so slightly before speaking, "I understand, and I should never have judged someone from their appearance..." 

"W-Well, honestly, I do understand that I look like a child. Just... maybe next time don't go patting potentially powerful strangers on the head, yeah?" That got a good self-reproaching laugh out of her. She nodded her head lightly and glanced at the candle on the table. "It's quite late. Tomorrow I must go to the Church and pray to The Arbiter for her forgiveness in your matter, would you like to come along? Of course, I'll let you stay here for as long as you need." Honestly, at this point I felt a little awkward staying near this girl. I feel pretty bad about imposing on her, especially after scaring her so much. "Hmm, just for tonight is fine I suppose. I'll meditate for now, and tomorrow I can go and get a few things sorted out."

So, Alyx led me back to the study in which I arrived. In the corner of the room, enclosed by bookshelves and set under a large window was a couch just large enough for me to lay on - so rather small as couches go. Leaving me with some blankets and a pillow, Alyx blearily bade me a good night and shuffled off to her room. Now alone, accompanied only by the moonlight, I settled onto the floor - the pillow and blankets under me. Despite all the excitement of the last dozen or so hours, I fell into a meditative state quickly. Though I was almost immediately thrown out of it by what felt like a rush of energy infusing my body.

"Interesting..."

14