Chapter 6: Determination
882 5 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shinji was well aware of his father and uncle's uneasiness. When he made up his mind to kill Zouken, he knew that both Byakuya and Kariya would look at him differently afterward. It would be difficult to maintain a pure relationship between elders and juniors.

The soul and body influence each other, and Shinji's memories affect the soul of the time traveler, making it impossible for him to face them with the attitude of a stranger. He would see the uneasiness in their eyes and feel a mixture of sighs and guilt.

Justeaze coughed lightly and urged Shinji to continue doing so.

Gathering his thoughts, Shinji said, "I made the contract with Caster, and I will bear the cost. It doesn't require my father, uncle, or the Matou family to directly pay anything."

"Not directly, but indirectly?" Kariya's brow furrowed, not relaxed, in response to Shinji's words. Instead, it grew even more tense.

Kariya had been away from Fuyuki City for many years and had no contact with the family. His brother Byakuya asked him to receive mail. Over ten days ago, a letter arrived in the mailbox without a signature, only a phone number, and a sentence:

"Aoi's daughter, Sakura Tohsaka, is about to become an adopted daughter of the Matou family."

Kariya, who had always been the backup plan for Sakura's happiness, became anxious. He immediately dialed the number in the anonymous letter and, following the instructions of the woman's voice on the phone, went through several twists and turns to arrive at an abandoned building.

There, he met a woman who answered his call, Caster, and his nephew, Shinji Matou.

There, he learned of their plan to kill Zouken when he moved against Sakura.

Although he didn't want to scare Sakura, Kariya agreed to cooperate to secure Sakura's future. That day, he found a way to handle other people in the family and ensured that Shinji would be in the best condition to take action.

From that moment on, Kariya knew that Shinji was not ordinary and not a puppet of Caster. Moreover, since Zouken's death, it has always been Shinji speaking, with Caster saying no more than ten sentences, and only in response to direct questions when Shinji was resting.

Facing Kariya's question, Shinji nodded calmly. "Even though Uncle has given up on the path of magecraft, he still received several years of magecraftl training. He should know how many resources are needed to cultivate a qualified magi. The resources needed for me and Sakura to become a magi should be provided by the Matou family."

Byakuya looked at Shinji in surprise. Wasn't he, like himself, lacking in magecraft aptitude?

"Sakura! I can understand, but why her?" Kariya's expression changed and his voice was filled with impatience. He had come back for Sakura, and she was the untouchable thorn in his side.

"Don't get agitated, Uncle," Shinji calmly looked at him. "Have you ever thought about why the Tohsaka family agreed to have Sakura adopted by the Matou family?"

"Well..." Kariya was taken aback. Until now, his attention had been focused on the fact that Sakura was going to enter the Matou family without considering the reason behind it.

Before Kariya could figure it out, Shinji continued, "The Tohsaka family is a legitimate magecraft lineage, and the head of the family, Tokiomi Tohsaka, is a traditional magus. Why would such a person take an interest in the Matou family that faces a lineage crisis? The answer is simple: the Matou family's inheritance of magecraft and the magic crest."

"I will tell you a bit about the previous generation's gossip. Sakura's mother, Aoi Zenjou, comes from the Zenjou family, which has a history of magus. Although she is not a magus, like her father, she carries the magical factors in her bloodline, making her a suitable mother for a magecraft lineage. Tokiomi Tohsaka saw this and proposed marriage to Aoi Zenjou. Uncle, you became childhood friends with her for the same reason."

"I know all of this," Kariya rudely interrupted.

"Then what happened next?" Byakuya found this quite interesting.

"As Tokiomi Tohsaka hoped and as Zouken predicted, Aoi Zenjou gave birth to two daughters with excellent potential as magi. Generally, obtaining one of them would be an unparalleled treasure for a traditional magecraft lineage. But having both at the same time becomes a luxurious dilemma, as the ancient Chinese saying goes, 'the dilemma of having both fish and bear's paw.' Shinji's eyes flickered with a hint of excitement as he continued, "The Tohsaka family faced a problem. They could not decide which daughter to prioritize to ensure the continuation of their lineage. They are torn between Rin and Sakura. However, they couldn't just let the other one go to waste."

Kariya's impatience subsided as he listened intently. Byakuya is also engrossed in the story, waiting for Shinji to reveal the answer.

"That's where the Matou family comes in," Shinji said, his voice tinged with satisfaction. "The Matou family desperately needed a successor. Zouken was old and weak, and his grandson, me, lacked the potential to become magi. The Tohsaka family saw this opportunity. They proposed a solution—Sakura would be adopted into the Matou family, ensuring the continuation of the Tohsaka lineage through Rin, while simultaneously securing Sakura's future as a magi."

Byakuya's eyes widened in realization. "So, Sakura is a pawn in this grand scheme?"

Shinji nodded and his expression was serious. "Yes, Uncle. Sakura's adoption into the Matou family was a strategic move by the Tohsaka family. It was a means to balance their lineage and secure the future of both Rin and Sakura."

Kariya fists clenched in anger. "And I was kept in the dark about all of this! They used Sakura as a bargaining chip without considering her happiness."

Shinji's tone softened. "Uncle, I understand your anger and frustration. However, please understand that Sakura's happiness has not been entirely disregarded. She may have been a pawn, but she was also allowed to become a magi, something she desired deep down. With proper training and support, she can fulfill her potential and find her path."

Kariya saw that his anger had subsided slightly. "I just want Sakura to be safe and happy. However, what about you? Shinji? What do you get out of all this?"

A wistful smile was played on the lips of Shinji. "For me, Uncle, this is a chance to prove myself. I may not have been born with magecraft potential, but I refuse to let that define me. With the resources and training provided by the Matou family, I can develop my path and become a magus of my own right. It's an opportunity I couldn't let slip away."

Kariya looked at Shinji with a mix of surprise and admiration. "You've grown up, Shinji. You've taken charge of your destiny."

Shinji's smile widened. "Thank you, Uncle. I won't let you down."

Kariya sighed again and his anger dissipated further. "I may not fully agree with all of this, but I can't deny that you've shown determination and resourcefulness. Just promises me one thing, Shinji— protects Sakura at all costs. Don't let her suffer like I did."

Shinji's eyes gleamed with determination. "I promise, Uncle. I will protect Sakura with everything I have."

In these words, the tension in the room decreased slightly. Three of them, bound by their shared connection to Sakura, now face a future filled with uncertainty. However, they were prepared to face whatever challenges lay ahead and united in their resolve to protect and guide Sakura on her chosen path.

"I would be happy to agree," Byakuya replied on behalf of his younger brother.

"As Father said, this is Tohsaka Tokiomi's idea, and it is also a common idea among traditional magus," Shinji's face showed a heaviness that didn't match his age. "Sakura entering the Matou family doesn't mean Tohsaka Tokiomi will remain indifferent. The inheritance of Crest takes a long time, regardless of whether it is now. If Sakura does not grow in magecraft, what will Tohsaka Tokiomi do? Will he take Sakura back? To put it bluntly, Uncle alone won't be able to protect Sakura, and the result will only be Sakura being taken away by Tohsaka Tokiomi."

Upon hearing this, Kariya unconsciously clenched his fists and nails digging into his flesh without his awareness.

Shinji continued without pausing, "The next course of action was foreseeable. To avoid wasting his daughter's talent, Tohsaka Tokiomi is likely to send Sakura to another lineage, perhaps a decent one, or even a worse place in the Matou family. However, such lineages rarely have familial bonds. After all, magus lack morals and are creatures driven more by reason than emotions."

"I won't let Tokiomi take Sakura away. I won't let Sakura go to such a place..." Kariya's eyes became bloodshot.

"But you can't protect Sakura," Shinji revealed the cold reality in a calm tone. "Let me put it this way, the entire Matou family can't stop Tohsaka Tokiomi alone. Even if you run away, you may not be able to escape the reach of the Tohsaka family."

Kariya fell silent; he knew that everything Shinji said was true and he also knew why Shinji spoke this way.

"Tell me, what do I need to do to protect Sakura? How can I keep Sakura from being tainted by magecraft?"

Shinji shook his head and said, "It's impossible to keep Sakura from being tainted by magecraft. Being born into such a family determines her fate, and it is also a prerequisite for Sakura to remain in the Matou family. However, studying magecraft and growing healthily is not contradictory. Magecraft is like mathematics or English; studying it alone is not bad. The key to this is Sakura's learning environment. Uncle, do you think she should study and live under your watchful eye? Or..."

"Stop," Kariya interrupted Shinji once again. "Just do as you said! Sakura will study magecraft and you will learn with her. That's what you wanted to hear, right?"

Shinji smiled.

"I just hope you can uphold the honor of the Matou family."

41