Chapter 8: Hardships
16 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I managed to push the box of ice back to the town after a good bit of work. Some of the townspeople were happy to have it done, as well as in ice for storage. I am just happy to have more chocolate.

I huff when I get it to where the villagers want it placed, behind a large barn. I hurry back to the old man ready for my reward, when I notice people talking in hushed whispers and looking to the east, where a road leads out of the town off into the distance.

“Hey, old man, what are people talking about?” I ask curious.

“Inspector and tax collector are on their way here. Without your help, I don't know if we would have made it in time.” He says smiling at me.

“Oh, well I am glad I could help!” I smile, feeling happy for helping my new friends.

“Follow me, if you would, Lost.” He says walking toward the bigger of the buildings in the town.

The building is the fanciest out of all of them, not the biggest, but most taken care of. It looks to have three windows from bottom to top. It's not much wider than me, but it is a bit longer than it is wide.

“Old man, is this where I get the chocolate?” I ask.

“Yes, this is my home. The Mayor's home.” He said, like I knew what a mayor was.

“Mhmm.” I reply, nodding my head totally confused.

I watch him go inside and talk to some people, so I sigh and sit down looking around. I see the little girl I talked to earlier come over to me.

“You can't stay here miss dragon.” She whispers to me.

I tilt my head curiously and lower my head down to her. “And why is that little one?”

“If you're here, when the bad people get here, they will take more.” She says to me.

“Bad people? You mean the people from the east?” I asked.

The girl nods her head and clutches what she has in her arms tightly. The thing in her arms looks like a toy, roughly made, to look like a small animal I am not familiar with.

“Last time they were here, they took my dad, and he hasn't come back.” She said very sadly.

I nod and process it. They took her dad. I don't agree with that, but I don't really know these people either. I go to say something and I see how sad her face is, and the tears falling down her face. I can feel something flick, a switch, I went from relaxed to protective. I don't want to see this girl sad. I won't be able to eat my chocolate in peace.

“Well, I wont stay here long then. I will leave and come back when they are gone.” I said to her.

“They will just keep coming back.” She gets out through her crying.

I don't know what to do. I don't know if involving myself would be a good idea, but she gave me chocolate.

A pain flashes through my mind, as memories surface. Darkness threatens to swallow me, as I am pulled into these unfamiliar memories.

I find myself much smaller and stumbling around a strange place, where human-like things are walking around, but they do not feel the same, much stronger. I hear a familiar voice call out. It's a large dragoness, she looks so mighty and strong, yet a scene of regalness to her. She carries herself with a lot of pride.

“Go enjoy yourself playing with your friends, just remember to be back for dinner. Don't be afraid to ask how to get back home, I know your friends can show you back home, if you get confused.” She says to me.

“Okay mom, and don't worry I will win!” I exclaimed proudly, not exactly sure about what, but I was sure I was going to win. So that's my mom. She is rather pretty dragoness.

Before I could memorize her image in my head, I was brought back here and now standing in the village. I blinked a few times to rebalance myself. I looked around as I noticed a loud commotion around me.

Turning my head, I see this large caravan of wagons have arrived at town. The people who arrived are yelling at each other and marching quickly in my direction.

“Oh what shiny humans.” I mutter.

These humans coming to me now are rather shiny and reflecting the sunlight, as they march side by side in a group. I wonder what show they are going to put on. I lean my head over to them.

“Hello shiny humans.” I said to them.

They all jump in startle, but try to remain in their standing group not moving. I get a little closer to them.

“Hello? Are you statues? Oh maybe I can make some.” I mumble putting the thought to the side for now.

One of the humans dressed differently from the rest tries to address me.

“Y-you monster! How dare you steal all their food! You don't even care about the problems you have created for these people! If you don't leave by sundown today we will be forced to remove you from here!” He demands of me.

“I didn't steal anything, I just want my chocolate.” I said, confused.

0