Chapter 10: Fight for Flight
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My body is soaking wet, and with the wind sweeping down the hill side and rushing past leaves no shelter from its bitter cold bite. Lucky for me, though I can definitely feel it, my ice elements protect me from it hurting me. My large dragon body is unyielding against the elements. Each part of me is immensely strong, stronger than most things I can remember. Tho that seems to be a part of the problem.

I am lost. For the first time I think in my life, I won't be rescued from my own blunder. I had never really feared that the situations I ended up in couldn’t be unrecoverable.

The humans were fun, and brought me some entertainment. That was all they did. They only distracted me. I still don’t know why I am here, this world is very different from my home. It's not even on this planet I feel. Which brings me to my biggest problem.

I am still too scared to fly. Whatever scared me that forced me to crash land here, must be unfathomably strong. Such an overwhelming strength that I, a dragon, quake at the thought of spreading my wings. It clearly is not here. Something that strong couldn't not be simply missed or I have not run into it. It just has to not be here.

Maybe, just maybe, I could try to get over my fear of flying. My legs are growing tired of all of this walking I have been doing. The mana spirits seemed to have noticed the change in my mood. They are much closer to me, and try to offer warm feelings to me. It's nice, but that last memory was a turning point for me. The first time wasn't just an accident, or a fluke. I do have memories, I just can't remember them right now.

The frost bitten mountains stretching to the sky, unyielding. The wind never stops, just because something is in its way. The river fears nothing. Why am I, a dragon, letting this fear stop me from my birthright? As a dragon, I should be able to fly wherever I want.

I took a deep breath filling my lungs, before throwing all my emotions and effort, and roared in defiance of whatever may challenge me. I am a dragon! Nothing is going to stop me from flying!

Without thinking, and following my heart, I bent my legs and thrust myself into the air and spread my wings and kept flapping. I climbed and climbed into the air roaring again loudly letting my voice be carrier by the wind, echoed by the mountains.

I feel like I am floating in the sky. With my wing able to carry me, I feel like I could fly forever. I smile at how good it feels. It felt so freeing. That was till I let my guard slip and the feeling my life was in danger swallowed me whole.

This foreboding feeling has sunk its claws into my heart. My neck jerks to look up. Something really dangerous is out there. I can feel my body tremble and my stomach turn at the feeling of being in danger. My heart thumping so loud I feel like it's all I hear. I try to roar in defiance again, but my voice is caught in my throat. I can not do this. I see my home from here, the cave in the mountain.

I angle my body toward it and make my way there. I should rest. I float down heading to my mountain. Gently I tried touching down,, but my trembling legs gave out and I collapsed onto the ground.

“Gahh! My leg, I can't walk. At least this time, I didn't cover myself in ice.” I squeak out.

Before I knew it I felt my eyes get heavy. I couldn't get my legs under me again. Laying where I was I fell asleep, drifting into dreams.

I find myself in that strange city place. I am sitting near the edge, its like the world edge. There is nothing below it. If you look up there are countless stars, for as long as you can see. All gleaming with lustrous light. Full of endless possibilities.

This day was different. Only once every 100 years, this plane tilts just enough to see the void, or well more accurately a spot across the sky contains nothing. Getting closer to it there are less stars, so it's not a hole. It's a vast area, too vast to see it all here. You could only just glimpse it.

“Hey mom, what's the void like?” I asked her, feeling her come up behind me.

“Well, it's nothing. There is nothing to be more accurate.” She explains.

“Well I get it is nothing, but how can there be nothing? Doesn't there have to be, well something?” I asked, confused.

“Well until it's proven, the void is the lack of anything being there. That, and no one has ever come back from it. Tho I am sure one of my kids would be too strong to be swallowed by the void.” She chuckles and walks away.

“Nothing can escape it? Then there is stuff in it.” I mumble looking into the sky beyond.

Taking a quick look around, making sure no one is watching, and I go to leap off. Then a hand grabs me and stops me.

“Just what do you think you're doing Lost?” The masked god asked.

“N-nothing. Just stretching you know.” I nervously said smiling.

“Mhmm, and I am just supposed to believe that?” He said.

“Yes?” I admitted.

The masked god looks around a bit before looking back at me. “You better not get hurt. If you do, I think your mom won't let me off with just words.” He warned.

“You heard what my mom said. I am too strong to get hurt by such things!” I say proudly, while still being held in his hand.

“Fine, just go. Do be safe though Lost.” He said and let go.

With that I flew into the sky, to start my adventure. A large grin spread across my face, I couldn't help but think I was ready for whatever could come my way.

0