Chapter 11: The Void
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Flying toward the emptiness, which keeps growing as I fly. Before long I was looking at the emptiness that fills my vision, it's so vast. As I inch closer a bad feeling starts to settle in my stomach. Something about that doesn't feel right. After getting my fill of observing it, I decided that I should turn around and head back, but things were not that simple.

As I tried flying away, I realized I made no progress. The bad feeling made my scales itch that something was indeed not right. The harder I tried to fly away the more I realized that I was drifting closer, I was being pulled.

The void had latched its hideous claws onto my soul space, and was not letting me go. The harder I tried the more tired I became only to delay getting pulled in. Desperately I look around me, for anything that might help. I spot a planet between me and the void. If I can get away, maybe I can hide. Mom said it's always getting further away. Maybe I can live there for a while and it will get far enough away that I can escape later.

Having made up my mind on my plan I decide to let it pull me toward the planet. It will be a race against time, but I think it's possible. I turn to fly not away from the void, but to the side to try and place the planet between me and it before letting go and stop trying to fly. I angle myself at the planet, calling on any mana I could, I could feel any loose spirits out here all being pulled toward the void, I found one of decent size and try to ask for help.

Teaming up with the mana spirit, I ask for its help to protect me. Soon I was surrounded in water, feeling my soul space being pulled harder the closer we got. It's the most unbearable feeling. Like it's trying to pull my soul from my body. I do my best to keep myself on target. If I miss, I will die.

The planet keeps growing and growing soon it swallows up my vision, and knowing I was going to make it I closed me eyes. I said a small sorry to mom, and my friends, that I won't be seeing them for a long time, but I will be alive at least.

Soon the water started getting unbearable as I started entering the planet. I called on the spirits on the planet to cool me down. I stopped asking and started just catching my will on the spirits to cool me down, and now. I felt the water start to cool down, then such a jarring impact causes everything to blank and dark again.

I jerked awake startled awake from my slumber. In my quick movements I broke apart the ice shell which had formed over me while I had rested. I was sure how long I was asleep, but it seems to be day time. I can hear birds chirping. The morning mist is rising. The chill air carrying the fresh morning air.

I stretched out my stiff limbs, loosening my still tired body. Blinking a few times, I try to take in how the forest has moved. The river looks a little different from before. The forest has stretched further down the river, the river had a lot more curves. Maybe I slept longer than a day or two.

Looking around, the first thing I wanted to do was to see if that Sally human still lives over there. I jump out of my cave and spread my wings out. The fresh air flowing through my wings and across my body makes me feel amazing. I feel better flying now. Still scared to try to leave, but I can fly now.

Smiling, as I fly my way through the air I think I am making my way over to the first town. Flying over I landed in the field where I had met Sally. Here is a large patch of flowers. Some nice blue flowers almost the same color as me. As I studied the flowers I didn't notice the human who came up next to me.

“Are you the dragon, mom talked about?” The little human asked me.

“I am a dragon. I think I'm the only one here. I might be?” I say trying to figure it out.

“Are you lost?” He asked.

“Yes I am Lost.” I confirmed.

The human seemed so happy at that. Jumping and clapping. He is a cute little human. Large eyes, filled with honesty and curiosity. Trying to find the tales his mom talked about.

“Come! I will take you to mom!” He said gleefully, pointing back to town and started running back.

I smile and scoop up the little human and set him on top of my head in between my horns. I probably wouldnt do this for any human, but this was an exception. He is small and I could feel how genuinely happy he was to see me. When I put him on my head he claps and laughs happy feeling my scales and laughs happily. I smile to myself.

I made the short trip to town in no time, and even before I started walking I could tell it was different. There were a lot more buildings, and bigger ones. How long had I been asleep for? Year or two? For Sally to have this young one must be 4 years? I remembered my mom saying something about sleeping for long periods of time, but 4 years seems ya too long.

When I arrive, the town people stop and look at me. The buildings seem a bit smaller than before. So do the humans. Did they get smaller?

“Momma!” The small boy yelled on top of my head followed by a giggle.

That's when a familiar face came running out, it was Sally, but looking a bit more aged. She came out then stopped when she saw me.

“Great, if it isn't the last lost dragon.” She chuckled.

“I am not the last one.” I huffed.

“You didn't deny being lost.” She countered.

“Well that's because I am Lost.” I countered back.

“Momma, I found a dragon!” The little boy shouted from my head.

“No you didn't, dear. I think you got Lost.” She chuckles.

I roll my eyes, and pick up the little one off my head and set him down infront of her. It was good seeing Sally again, but a part of my thought again about making something to remember the people I met. I remembered what the old man had said about making things out of ice. Maybe I could create ice statues.

“So, just when I thought you were already big and cold. You went ahead not only getting bigger, but also the air around you feels cold. If you're not careful with your name, people might start calling you cold wind.” She chuckled.

“No, I am Lost.” I confirmed.

“Well thank you for bringing my son back home. You're sure you're not the last dragon?” Sally asked curiously.

“As far as I am aware, I am the only dragon here.” I contemplated.

“Must be lonely. With the stories of a dragon being nearby no one has come to raid our village, but people have short memories. Started thinking you were not real.” Sally said.

“I will keep coming back if you give me some chocolate.” I offered.

Sally laughed at that, and I smiled. I had already confirmed I am the only dragon here. If any other dragon appeared, they must either have a death wish, or on the run for their life. I wonder if my mom was going to come for me. Then again my mom would laugh if she knew I was trapped here, or something along the lines of my child would be stuck! Ya that sounds about right.

“Well it’s appreciated, and actually I do have some you can have. I don't know if it will be a lot for you, but it's a lot for a human. “ Sally admitted.

“Well any is good for me. I don't even know where you guys find it.” I admitted.

With that she heads back inside and then comes out with a good handful of chocolate.

“This is all I have, but it can be all yours. I am glad my son is safe.” She admitted.

I take it all and keep them. They are indeed the chocolate like I had last time. I can't wait to get back to the cave and eat this chocolate. It will be so nice. Then maybe I can try making a statue of Sally.

0