Chapter 17: What it means to be Lost?
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I collected the corpses, after the golems had finished up the rest of the fight. There were a good amount of them admittedly. It was going to be harder to take all of them home but I didn't want to waste them.

I carefully had them all gathered up, and carrying them, I took off to start flying back. I let my thoughts wander some, as I thought about how these magical beasts. I had been exploring just like I wanted, but I don't feel as happy as I thought I was going to. I had this entire planet to myself to do whatever I wanted, but I had yet to feel fulfilled. It wasn't planned for me to stay here, or even come here.

“I wonder, what should adventuring be like? I had dreamed so much, I hadn't thought what it would actually be like.” I mumbled to myself.

Suddenly I blinked and found myself face to face with a large tree, which I promptly crashed into. I tumbled a bit through the branches and tumbled down till I found myself on the ground in a pile.

The wind knocked out of my lungs, my chest emptied of all of its contents, and my head spinning. Struggling to breath I struggled on the ground trying to gasp for breath. The noise I was creating drew in some hungry animals coming looking for a free meal. The corpses I had been carrying with me are easy pickings when I can't defend them.

I struggled more to try to get the air back in my lungs. I saw wolves come out of the trees, but still near the tree line. I could feel their gazes, hungry and greedy, at the corpses I had brought. Without any air in my lungs, it's getting harder to keep my thoughts coherent and sorted. My head spinning was getting worse.

I can see through my foggy vision that the wolves were slowly closing in on me and the minotaur corpses. I pound the ground and try to get my breath once more, and getting enough I focus inwardly and gripping at anything I could muster. I felt a rush of power that rushed forward and gathered up in my mouth before I let it out. A large wide quick blast of energy came out. I didn't get to see the results of my efforts, as I fell into the void in which my body called for. I had used all I had left.

I was floating in darkness. I couldn't see anything or feel anything. I was floating around an abyss, absolute nothing. There was nothing around me, I couldn't feel the mana, my wings couldn't get any traction. No matter how I was oriented, it never felt right. There was no way to make myself feel correct.

‘Is there something wrong with me?’ I wondered.

I had no idea where or when I was. I had no indication of time either. I had no idea if I had been here for a moment or forever. A chill went down my spine. I know my name is Lost, but this really made me feel it down to my soul. This felt like it is impossible to get oriented in any direction. It's a fear building inside of my chest.

I felt a tug on my mind, I felt something stir that felt familiar, a memory. It called for me a grace, to escape this place I reached for it. Soon my reality felt like it melted and blurred until I found myself at my old home again, and I found myself much smaller. I looked around, it felt like a memory, but I also felt in control. Is this a memory?

Looking around, I saw the streets, they felt a familiarity to them, but looking at the street names they blurred and muddled. I couldn't read them. I pawed at the ground and it sure felt real enough. Is this controlling a dream, rather than a memory?

I walked the streets, wandering around, I found no one. It felt like I was alone. It's not right. No wait, I see a dragon nearby. I ran over to it and tried to talk to it, but anything it said was weird muffled noises. It didn't make any sense. This wasn't like before, last time I talked to my friend, and mom, but I understood them. This dragon I couldn't make out anything it said. I knew it spoke, but the words or meanings seemed to avoid me.

A sharp spike of pain blasted through my head like lightning. Then suddenly the world had color, and I could understand what's around me. What was alien and strange now is familiar. I hadn't moved, but suddenly felt like the nature of everything changed. I looked at the nearest street sign and I could read it. What was causing this feeling? I looked around and everything made sense, when just a moment ago I couldn't make the ground out from the sky.

I felt the bolt of pain, and suddenly everything was muddled. It felt like I was on a different layer of reality. That's not true, but there was something surreal about how this felt. I hesitated and took a few steps back, scared of what was happening. It seemed like I was in a void that surrounded only me. Like it's either sheltering me or separating me. I couldn't understand what was happening around me or to me.

I felt so alone, so isolated, so lost. It felt like the world crashed down around me. Is this something I am cursed with? I didn't understand what any of this ment. Is this why my name is Lost? There was no mistaking it, something was very wrong. I don't know if it's me, or some other power. What is it supposed to do? Just a curve that meddles with inconveniences?

Is this something placed on me by the king? I heard he had some sway and powers, but this seems like a cruel trick. Suddenly everything rushed back in a blast, and a sharp pain, then I found myself standing in front of a large tower. Its presence was large and demanding, but I had not seen such a thing before. A quick feel into mana spirits, and it was as if the tower was telling me it's not time yet.

Of course, that was exactly opposite of what I felt I should do. So I walked forward and found myself surrounded in a mana I had not familiarized myself with. It rushed around me like it was trying to make heads or tails of my presence. It seemed like it was trying to help me, but my body was repulsing the mana a little bit. Is this a part of what I am?

Though true to its nature the tower rejected me and spat me out onto the ground. I couldn't get into the tower. Looking up at it, it really felt intimidating. It's much stronger than I, a dragon, am. I huffed, I didn't need to waste my time with such a thing. I need to find a wake to get back to, well myself. If I stay here too long, I might lose all that food I had made.

I got back on my feet, and tried to look at the street names again, I think I know where I am. So I started to try to find my way back to my house. I wonder if my mom will be home this time.

Soon I collapsed as a pain jolted through my entire body. Maybe it's not because of the dream, but something happening to my body. I tried focusing on my body and trying to force myself awake. The edges of my vision blurred and the world warped and stirred. I tried harder and harder.

With a blast of light, suddenly I was back under the tree and the sun was blasting down on me. My head was racking in pain. I reached for the chocolate I kept with me and took a bite. The pain went down a little bit. I could feel the gentle breeze move across my scales, the warmth of the sun penetrating my cold exterior. I lifted my head, and looking around me was the strangest of sights I had scene yet.

The trees looked scorched, but there were more dead creatures, but what baffled me the most was the wolves. They haven't taken any of those corpses I brought with me. They curled up around me, protecting me. I am not sure why, but they had killed those who had approached us. Before I understood, I had smiled. A turn of luck perhaps. I was surrounded by such cute fluffy puppies!

0