Chapter 18: Back Home
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wolves seemed to notice I was awake and they woke up and looked at me. They seemed to be worried about me. ‘How cute’ I thought.

Looking around again, after getting myself together. I felt like I was safe and no longer scared. There seemed to have been a few more minotaur’s added to my collection. There were bodies of other animals from the woods that were eaten, I can assume so the wolves don't starve. The ground seemed to be a bit scorched, I felt responsible for that. The crisp clean air washed down from the mountain's face, felt so refreshing. I had been so busy, I had not relaxed since I had been here.

A part of me deep down, wondered if what I dreamed about was dreaming, or memories. I don't think I have experienced anything like that here yet. Then I remember when I tried to leave the town, and kept walking back to it. Is it something guiding me, or is it really just random? It was something that really concerned me.

Looking at the wolves I felt bad, I was going to have to disturb them from their comfortable spots to get up, but I had too. I had to get back to Hickory. I started getting up slowly as the wolves got up with a bit of complaining.

“I will be back little ones. At some point.” I said to them.

After I had fully gotten on my feet, I could feel, even though I had been resting, the non stop adventuring had taken its toll on my body. My muscles started complaining, in uncomfortable ways. I really needed to take care of myself. I haven't thought about such basic things, cause I got taken care of when I was younger.

I started gathering up the minotaur corpses together. After having them all sorted again, I took one last look at the wolves who were leaving. Maybe I can make a structure in my cave about then, and then I won't forget them.

Once I was ready I took a big jump into the air and flapped my wings hard to gain enough height to get above the trees. The minotaurs are so much extra weight to try to carry and fly with, but I was not going to let the creatures I had already beat, defeat me now they are dead. I got myself above the trees, and looked around trying my best to remember which way is home.

Panic slowly settled down into my soul, I don’t know which way I am supposed to go. All the mountains look the same. I had forgotten which way I came from and how I got here. I was really worried I had lost my way home, and to Hickory. I spotted a saving grace, I saw fire smoke. It may not be hickory, but it was something different. I started making my way toward the smoke.

My arms and claws complained about the load I was carrying with me, but I needed to take these home. Heading to smoke, I made it around the mountain to my relief. I saw Hickory’s house with him cooking really weirdly. He wasn't cooking with fire, but his food was getting covered in smoke.

Quickly I made my way down with a heavier than anticipated landing, I could at last relieve my arms of their burden. The aching and complaining became less as soon as I let go. Without meaning to, a nice sigh of relief escaped my mouth. I had made it home.

“Wow, you're dirty.” Hickory said when he saw me.

I looked myself over and indeed, I was covered in dirt, blood, and leaves. I was a mess. I very much needed to get cleaned, and get some rest. Hopefully this time I won't sleep for years like last time.

“Well that's a way to greet someone.” I huffed.

I pushed the bodies of all the minotaurs over to him. His shocked expression means I did way more than he expected. Which was fine by me, I was rather hungry. I took a second and tried stretching out my tight muscles. My body was really sore, from the crash I had earlier. No one was around to help me or cushion it. I called upon the water around me and washed it over me, I was able to help my energy and wash myself clean. I probably should go swim in that lake, if I really wanted to feel in my element, and fill my energy to call upon. I noticed after my ice wall I created not using the elements around me, but from my own energy or storage, I felt much more tired. I best not do that too much.

After I had refreshed myself, I looked at Hickory’s strange cooking station he had made. He wasn't using the fire to cook it, it was too high up from it. He wasn't trying to funnel the smoke away from it, it seemed like he was trying to trap it with the food, and using living wet wood to get the smoke he wanted.

“Why are you cooking your food weird? Its supposed to be near the fire.” I pointed at his strange set up.

“Oh, well I am not cooking it. I am smoking the food. It's a way to give it flavor, but also to help preserve it. We don't have salt. So smoking it, and using the cold temperatures are my best way to preserve food for longer.” He explained.

“Is that used for chocolate?” I asked, wondering if I could get some of the secrets.

I watched him as he smiled and laughed. “You really love your chocolate huh?” He said with a bit of chuckle.

I got a little flustered, I didn't think I was acting out of the normal. I thought it was a fair question.

“Well chocolate is very nice. Can you blame me for wanting more?” I asked, with a bit of defiance in my tone.

“Well, no. You don't smoke chocolate. You ferment it. That is a lot more complicated process.” He explained.

‘Ferment?’ I pondered. I think I heard that word once before, not here, but back at home. Only If I could remember what it was called. The gaps in my memory are really annoying. Though I was curious if it was myself protecting me. If I remembered everything, would I be able to enjoy what it is I am doing right now? I wasn't sure.

“So, how are you doing, Hickory? I mean what happened, must be fairly hard on you.” I asked him.

I could see his shoulders tense and his grip tighten on what he was holding, before his shoulders sank and he let go of the minotaur he was holding.

“Honestly, I am not sure. It doesn't feel real. I still don't even know what that beast was, or why they decided to attack us after it was killed. It makes no sense.” He admitted, while watching the fire.

“Who were those shiny humans? If you don't mind me asking, they seemed different from the normal ones.” I asked him.

“Those are soldiers. They are normal humans, but wearing metal to make themselves stronger, I thought you were doing the same when I saw patches of ice on you. They came from the lord of the area. They were not happy with us, and I think they used you being here as an excuse to get revenge and take everything.” He said.

“What would, me being there, make them want to attack?” I asked, confused.

“Probably nothing. Just gave them an empty reason. To make themselves feel better about doing it.” He said, shrugging.

A simple ‘Oh’ was all I could muster. I don't really understand these humans in the slightest bit. I thought things were simple, but seemed far from it. I did feel bad for him. He lost his mom, I am not sure i could even imagine that. I tried to think of the idea of what it would be like. If, well, my mom was dead.

Something deep, and not really sure it was there before, but it stirred. A deep wrenching feeling, followed by a roiling stir of emotions, a full tempest of thoughts followed. The thunderous pain blasts through my head, and an echo of the feeling reverberated through my left eye, as my vision seemed to change for a moment. Flickerings of something creeped in at the edges of my vision.

I am not sure what is happening, but it is not good, I need to stop this. With grasping a control over my body I hit my head into the ground. The sharp jarring pain blasted through my head again letting me go. I took a deep breath, and looked at Hickory. He may be a flimsy human, but emotionally, he was harder than metal. Mortals really are something different from dragons and gods, or he is just emotionally stronger than I am.

0