Chapter 5: Dorning Room
50 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: Dorning Room

 

Following the soft, sparkling light that led me to the upper levels of the towering structure, I entered a small, narrow corridor. Unlike the previous corridors, it felt like it could fit 10 of me side by side. The floor was littered with various objects, but I floated above, effortlessly phrasing through furniture and fallen Guardians scattered around.

As I continued, I noticed it was much darker than the previous locations. However, thanks to the soft glow, I was able to navigate through without problems. I glanced around, I noticed various clothing, devices, and items that were unfamiliar to me.

I wonder, what is this place? Nothing like this was described in the books.

However, as I was about to ask the Voice, I noticed that the soft sparkling light was phasing through what seemed to look like a giant double-door. I followed by phasing through without worries and emerged on the other side.

Instantly, I was welcomed by another long corridor flanked by displays of numerous Guardians encased in glass walls. I approached the glass as I moved forward, and saw them in various positions.

I suddenly found myself startled at the sight of a new kind of guardians, numerous at that. I never knew there were different types of Guardians; I always thought they were all humanoids. Peering into the glass walls, I saw Guardians shaped like disks with thin-long legs, oblong figures, circular forms, and many others that I found difficult to fully describe.

Several humanoid Guardians were positioned in different poses; one had their legs open wide, another pressed their bottom against the glass, while several were on the pole, striking various poses.

I wasn’t so sure what these poses meant; it probably meant nothing at all, but they appear quite strange. Looking at the other Guardians, some stood, some sat, and others made gestures with their hands. Seeing such, I couldn’t help but think, ‘maybe it really meant something’.

Moving towards the end of the corridor, I phased through the draping curtains into the next room without problems.

Upon entering the room, I was greeted with a vast space. I first noticed various floating objects, resembling different types of Guardians, hovered above.

My eyes drifted down to the area lower than mine, where I saw  an array of Guardians filling the numerous aisles, their numbers stretching from hundreds to thousands. Unknowingly, I was moving forward to the balcony in front of me where the soft, sparkling light ended.

What is this place?

Just as I was about to voice my question , I reached the soft, sparkling light only for it to abruptly vanish.

“It seems you have reached the destination,” The Voice spoke, “Please find a body that you like. I will provide further instructions afterwards.”

“For you? Me, thought, you get, a body?”

“If you are referring to ‘obtaining a body for myself’, please reconsider. The Singular currently lacks Aerex, and transferring my sentience to a body is a one-way journey to eternal slumber.”

“I don’t… Get it?”

“Guardians… Or rather, their body requires Aerex from the Singularity to function. Without sufficient Aerex in the Singularity, I will be unable to awaken if my sentience is transferred to a body.”

Is that so?

“How come… You are, here?”

Confused yet overwhelmed with excitement, I continued to float my body higher than usual. I gazed upon the series of aisles, each displaying various types of bodies that could potentially become something I would use.

However, I held myself from going to the lower area as a part of me still felt confused, patiently waiting for the Voice’s responses.

“I… Or rather, your Arkus is currently using your Mana to maintain function; to maintain my sentience,” the Voice said, “The body you will inhabit will also draw from your Mana pool instead of the Singularity to maintain function.”

“Mana?” I repeated. It was the first time I had heard that word.

“May I open your Trispira?”

“Trispira?”

Suddenly, a familiar floating box appeared in front of me. Startled, I backed away momentarily.

“This is your Trispira. The Core is currently offline, so you cannot increase the attributes displayed.”

Hearing the slow words of the Voice, I focused on the glowing box before me.

-NAMELESS GHOST-
THE HEAD OF CHRONO WRITING DEPARTMENT

-PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES-

LIFESPAN
120/540

SOUL INTEGRITY
250/250

FORM INTEGRITY
40/40 (-25)

-SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES-

ELEMENTAL ASPECT
150

BODY PROPERTY

0

MENTAL ASPECT

161

-TERTIARY ATTRIBUTES-

PHYSICAL TRAITS

STR: 0
DEX: 0
VIT: 0

BODY RESISTANCE

FATIGUE: 0

END: 0

RES: 0

MENTAL RESISTANCE

SANITY: 95/100

PSY: 21
WIL: 20

SKILLS SET

WRITING: lv2

MAGIC 

MANA POOL: 54/70

TELEKINESIS lv2
POSSESSION lv1

MARK

INT: 11

WIS: 15
CTL: 24

 

As I looked at the box filled with numerous shapes and colors, nonsensical words and numbers. I found myself struggling to understand the information they contained. Eventually, the word ‘mana’ caught my attention. Could this be what the Voice is talking about? What exactly is Mana, and what do the numbers next to it mean?

“What, is this?”

“The information displayed is called Trispira, a function of the Arkus that enhances the potential of an individual. With the Core’s help, you can increase your attributes, intelligence even, which you will need.”

There are my potentials? I continued to look at the Trispira, thinking I can understand it, but I don’t know how it works. The Voice said it is ‘my’ attributes, what exactly are attributes in the first place? How are they written? It doesn’t make sense.

However, before I could voice out my thoughts, the Voice continued speaking.

“I assume you have seen the Mana pool in your Trispira.”

“Yes.”

“Mana is naturally created by your mana pool in your individuality, your soul. Currently, you have 54 out of 70 in your mana pool, and I am using it as a substitute for Aerex. ”

“How, does. Trispeary works?”

“Unfortunately, I am unable to provide adequate lessons as the Administrative Core is offline. I recommend you complete the objective assigned to you by the Administrative Core 14 years ago.”

Huh? Didn’t I heard this before? 

I certainly did when I said I don’t understand the Voice assistant Arkus, but why did it reply the exact same thing to me?

“Why, can’t you explain? I thought, you use mana, no Aerex?”

“Your Local Arkus currently lacks information. I can only access additional data on related topic from the Core, which is currently offline. Due to this, I am unable to provide further information.”

Arkus… I keep hearing that word, but I really don’t understand what that means.

“Arkus?”

“If you’re asking for more information about the Arkus, it is a device used for communication information in and out, assisting the user’s individuality of potentials and attributes. Your Local Arkus currently features components; a local information Index, Trispira, user security, assistant voice Pheleppeides, and communication channels on Aeonian.”

I was surprised by the detailed explanation I received. Why is it different from last time? I recall receiving a different answer previously.

Despite the Voice’s explanation, I was still confused about how Arkus works. How did I even get Arkus in the first place? I wanted to ask, but it felt like I wouldn’t be getting anywhere if I continued asking. I should let the information sink in before asking for more.

I shifted my attention elsewhere, continuing forward, deeper inside the room. 

I glanced at the rows of Guardians… Bodies lined up like bookshelves, each aisle appeared to  have similar body frames with slight variations.

I wonder what body should I get… For some reason, at the thought of having a physical body somewhat makes me excited, it feels as though I am becoming more and more like them. 

“Pepepes,” I called out to the Voice.

“I am Phe-le-ppe~i-des, how can I assist you?” The Voice responded, somewhat emphasizing its name.

I keep forgetting the name of the Voice; it’s quite hard to memorize.

“Body, recommend?”

“I can’t recommended a specific body for you since I don’t know your preference. However, if you’re struggling to choose a body, I recommend creating one that you like.”

“Create… A body?”

“Please proceed to the Modularity Frame Building located in the next room.” The Voice said.

Immediately after, a familiar trail of sparkling white light appeared, leading deeper into the hidden area obscured by a massive body.

“How?” I asked, floating my body as I started following the sparkling white trail. 

To begin with, I don’t know how to create bodies; I only know how to pick up the pen and write - that has always been the case.

I was excited to try something new, to venture beyond the pen and paper. I never knew that those things, Guardians, could be built, something that could be created. It made me wonder how I was made.

“You can create a body frame by using pre-built modular frames and attaching them together. It is a very simple process.”

Is that so? I never knew.

Quietly, I floated, following the directions of the white, sparkling light until I arrived in a new room that was different from the previous one.

The room welcomed me with a large glass wall featuring an opening in the middle, showcasing hundreds of shelves beyond. I couldn’t quite make out what was being stored there, but I caught a glimpse of several familiar limbs poking out - definitely not books.

I noticed a signboard above the entrance and quickly read the words displayed: ‘Modular Frames Archive’.

As I turned to my left, I saw a large pathway with a sign that read ‘Attachment center’. I wondered if I had to choose pieces of the body and build them on that side. Turning to my right, I noticed several large circular indents on the ground encircled by glass walls. As I looked at the signboard curiously, I saw it was labeled ‘Order Center’.

“It seems you have reached the destination. Since the Core is currently offline and there is no power in the Singularity, we will need to manually create your body frame by using your Mana. Instructions on how to construct your first frame should be accessible in one of the cabinets at the entrance.”

Available in one… of the cabinets… at the entrance.

I turned around my head to see several tall cabinets clustered in a corner. Floating over, I noticed a book at the top of the cabinets. Using my power to control the book, I quickly opened it to see its contents.

5