Chapter 10: Security House
20 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Quietly, I walked down the hallway shrouded in darkness, absentmindedly observing my surroundings. Unlike the corridor connecting the Core room at the highest level and the People’s Hall at the fourth, this long path was filled with hundreds of Guardians, all scattered into groups throughout the area.

The majority of the guardians were shaped after humanoids resembling their creator, with a few others seeming to use animal forms or other unfamiliar races. As I observed this, the thought crossed my mind that I might be slowly becoming one of them, which brought a wide smile to my face.

As I glanced around, a soft blue glow caught my attention in the distance, emanating from the walls and casting a radiant blue ray of light that pierced through the darkness. Unlike the soft, sparkling white glow that had been guiding me, this blue light felt somewhat unique, seeming out of place. That’s odd. There was nothing like that moments before.

Maybe it’s just a threading-myr? With that thought in mind, I approached it, walking down the corridor with my gaze fixed on the glow. Time passed as I neared it, and I discovered a glass-like structure embedded in the wall, showcasing thousands of light extending seemingly endlessly.

My first thought was… “The sky?”

I had seen pictures and read about the skies in books, but it was nothing quite the scene before me. It was said skies looked different depending on the planet viewed from, but all shared a common sight during certain times. Countless dots of light in the distant sky, beyond my understanding, were the lights of stars piercing through the endless void of space. 

Unlike the scene beyond the window, with the oddly bright dot, and not-so familiar white tails trailing behind, the sky was not the usual pure black but filled with pale yellows, bright flares, and dark orange-red colors shaped like roots.

Pheleppeides replied, “That is incorrect. The view you are currently witnessing is the membrane of the bubble known as Bublitz.”

Another unfamiliar term…  I thought as I silently levitated my body closer to the glass window. “Membrane of the bubble? Bublitz?” I repeated.

“As you are aware, the Aeonian is presently traversing the inter-filamentary lines, essentially moving between the connections of dimensions. In this state, one can anticipate planar instability, disoriented foundational laws, and a continuously shifting reality. Therefore, Bublitz was specifically developed to safeguard the Aeonian’s realm,” Pheleppeides explained.

“Is that so? But why? And how is that the Aeonian is currently traveling, still moving without power.” I questioned, tilting my head. It doesn’t sound like that’s how it works.

Placing my hands against the icy cold glass wall, I peered down below. It was clear we were elevated from above the ground, with the Aeonian’s structure extending outward in multiple branches, even reaching other buildings. If my memory serves me right, this could be the Fourth level of Aeonian—or perhaps the Third level. It’s hard to tell which floor; somewhere in between, I suppose.

“I currently do not have any information regarding the goal of Aeonian,” Pheleppeides replied. “However, the reason why Aeonian is still traveling despite the lack of power in the Singularity, I would presume that Aeonian has been traveling since before the Singularity malfunctioned, and will continue to travel so long as Aeonian does not stop.”

“Is that so?” I muttered, “Hey, Pheleppeides, I’m considering phasing through this wall. Actually, what if we just phase through the ground and head straight towards the singularity instead?”

“Are you certain?” Pheleppeides asked, “Previously, I had adjusted the Guiding Light according to your preferences. Would you like to modify it again?”

Was that so? Now that I think about it, Pheleppeides did set numerous waypoints before reaching the actual destination. It’s true that I like exploring a lot, but…

“Yes… I think repairing the Singularity should be our main priority. So, when I get distracted, can you steer me back on track?” I asked, shifting my gaze from side to side.

“Certainly, Nameless Ghost,” Pheleppeides responded. As I noticed the soft sparkling light faded at the corner of my eye, I turned my head towards it before it returned in the same direction. “I have updated the pathway.” 

Changed the path? I thought, unconsciously tilting my head in response, I had expected something different. 

“Are you sure? It still looks the same?”

“I placed a waypoint at the security gate of the People’s Hall. We will be acquiring some essential tools that could aid us repairing the Pylon.”

“Is that so? I understand.”

Upon hearing that, I turned my body and glided down the long corridor, finally reaching the familiar sight of the Security Gates that usually guard the upper levels. However, this time, something was different. In contrast to the Security Gates of the Core, it was notably wide, with multiple sections and various types of the doorways.

Furthermore, there were hundreds of Guardians scattered throughout the area, some sprawled on the floor, and others leaning propped against the walls; creating a scene where most of them seemed to be haphazardly piled together.

I wonder who it was? The last one to stay active to pile them up until their power ran out.

“There are a lot of Guardians here compared to the upper floors.” I observed, my eyes scanning as I moved along the path, following the guiding light.

“The upper levels, like the fifth and the fourth levels, are only accessible to those of a certain rank and above.” Pheleppeides explained, “The first to the third levels of Aeonian are open to everyone, with some exceptions in certain areas.” 

Listening to Pheleppeides, I phased through the obstructions and finally reached the spot where the guiding light faintly seeped through the massive double doors. The door appeared towering and immensely heavy, adorned with several symbols and unfamiliar characters etched on its surface. Before dropping down to the ground, I quickly checked the ground below and safely landed on my feet.

I examined the door and realized that my telekinesis would not be enough to open it. However, I could easily phase through it without any issues. Despite this simple solution, I chose to ask Pheleppeides, “Can I unlock this door with the Three-Key?”

“Of course,” Pheleppeides answered. “The Three-Key can be compatible with most doors in Aeonian. Similar to the sphere chairs, simply insert the key anywhere inside the three circular symbols engraved on the door.”

Listening to Pheleppeides, I observed the mentioned symbols. A large triangle, seemingly divided by its opening, bore circular shapes at its sharp corners. I reached out into my pockets and pulled out the Three-Key.

I inserted the Three-key into one of the circles, and they passed through effortlessly, prompting me to wonder how such a thing was possible. Could it be made of ghostly material? Material harvest from a ghost, I wondered for a moment.

Distracted by these thoughts, the engraved symbols on the door began to fill with a bright green and blue glow, starting from the lines of triangle and circles, eventually illuminating the unfamiliar characters with light.

The door vanished into mist before transforming into tiny dust-like particles and reshaping itself into several thick slabs on each side, creating a wide opening. This transformation never fails to astound me; I had witnessed something similar when I opened the chairs in the council room, and at that moment, I was never more fascinated.

I kinda want to do more just to watch its cool looking effect.

I withdrew my hand, still clutching the key, and swiftly crossed over to the other side, entering the room.

“What is this place?” I wondered, as I gazed around the room.

I was met with a wide desk showcasing several unfamiliar devices atop, with shelves filled displaying racks holding numerous neatly arranged devices. The setup reminded me of the Modularity Frame Building storage, prompting me to wonder if this place served a similar purpose.

“This area is known as the Security House, primarily utilized by Guardians responsible for securing security of the upper levels of Aeonian,” Pheleppeides explained. ‘Based on your local information, Security Houses are often stocked with verified weapons and equipment, most of which are easy to use.“

I walked towards the shelves, my eyes scanning the array of swords on display, each distinct in size and shape. One particular sword caught my attention, its sheath appeared to be made of gold, imbued with dark-blue metallic scales on its sides. Intrigued by its appearance, I reached out and selected the long sword. Its cool and unusual cross guard covered my entire hand, and I noticed it was quite heavy. 

I don’t think I can swing this.

While I was inspecting the sword, Pheleppeides remarked, “This particular shelf is considered as a decorum. The swords here are art-craft pieces and not suitable for combat. If you’re interested in functional swords, I suggest looking at the shelf behind this one.”

“No, I was just looking.” I replied, placing the sword on its rack. “But I remembered something I read recently… You know, in those situations where inspectors and mafia members clash, what’s the name of the thing they use again?”

“Are you referring to guns?”

“Yes, guns. Those ones. If they are exactly as the books describe, then I might want to use them.”

“Certainly. I have created a guiding light pathway that will lead you to it.”

The familiar soft, sparkling light appeared beside me, and I quietly followed it towards the deepest part of the room. As the shelves began to drastically change their displays, I caught a glimpse of the weapon I was seeking out of the corner of my eye. Hurriedly, I turned my head and approached it.

The sight of guns sparked a memory. When I was uncertain about what a gun was, Pheleppeides showed me an image. They were quite different from the ones before me now, but the book did mention there are other various types of guns and ammunition suited for different purposes.

Various types of guns—Pistols were displayed in racks, showcasing different shapes and designs, with the corresponding bullets displayed below. Like a scene straight out of a book, they all exuded a cool allure. It’s difficult to believe that something as something as this could crystallize an entire body.

Carefully, I used my telekinetic ability to grab a pistol that stood out from the rest. Unlike the sleeker designs, this particular one featured a bulge just above its trigger, and upon closer inspection, I noticed there were bullets peeking out from it.

“This revolver is known as the Locking Merd Revolver.” Pheleppeides explained. “It utilizes Merdic Runes, enabling automatic engraving, locking and tracking. Once you hit your target, the remaining bullets will hit with 100% accuracy.” 

“That sounds great!” I exclaimed, “Say, where can I practice using this? I believe there should be a shooting range like in the books, right?”

“Of course. I have updated the guiding light to lead you to the shooting range. Before you go, I recommend grabbing a few more Merdic Bullets for Locking Merdic revolvers from the compartment below.”

Hearing such, I use my telekinesis to open the drawer beneath the shelves, causing dry scratching noises and metal clashing to echo in the room. Inside, I found a chaotic mix of various types of bullets mixed with canisters, magazines, and unfamiliar devices. Carefully, I used my telekinesis to select the bullets that appeared identical to the one on display.

After noticing around 30 bullets floating in the air, I decided to follow the guiding light. It directed me back to the entrance of the room, where Pheleppeides, in a nonchalant manner, cautioned, “Locking Merd Revolver typically produces loud sounds when triggered, potentially attracting unwanted entities.”

“Unwanted entities? Even though the power is out? What could possibly be there anyways?” I inquired, pulling the Three-Key card that floated in the air.

“There are entities that can live without Aerex energy, beings like yourself or biological flesh. Since we lack information about the current Aeonian, I advise maintaining silence to avoid provoking hostile entities that might jeopardize your task.”

“Oh, right. I forgot about beings that have biological flesh. I will do so.” I nodded. 

With the Three-key in hand, I pointed towards the door and swiftly slid from top to bottom. The door transitioned and sealed the room.

Suddenly, the guiding light updated, leading me towards the corner of the room. As I followed, I noticed the glass wall that displayed the view of the practice range in the adjacent room. In the distance, several markers stood out. However, before I could enter the practice range, I encountered another double door blocking my way.

But! With this cool-looking key, I shall open you!

“Hey, Pheleppeides,” I muttered, “What is the mana consumption for opening doors?”

“The Mana consumption varies on the type of the door you are using the Three-Key for. Chair Spheres typically use 40 Mana points, main security use 30 Mana points, and common locked doors use 5 to 10 Mana points.”

“Why is there a difference between them?”

“In Aeonian, doors are assigned particular positions and roles. Common doors consume minimal energy, while doors that require higher positions necessitate more energy for the verification process.”

Is that so?

Lost in my thoughts, I entered the room. The space was simple, with a firing lane and stretching long table on one side, and walls adorned with small and large cabinets, as well as several tables and chairs on the other side. 

Despite having read about it in books, and finding it to be almost identical to how it was portrayed in them, a touch of excitement still pervaded my senses. However, just before I went deeper, I turned my head and closed the door behind.

Afterwards, I approached the firing lane, constantly reminding myself of the danger that guns posed to my body. This was something new, something different from anything I had done before. I couldn’t help but feel tense with each step.

The thought of getting holes in my limbs worried me; there are only a limited number of bodies similar to this one, and I didn’t want to damage it. I carefully placed the devices I had brought with me to the table just beyond the firing lane, using telekinesis to bring the Locking Merd Revolver in front of me.

“Can you take a look at the gun to see if it’s safe to use?” I said.

“Yes. Locking Merd can function without any issues if stored properly, even without maintenance,” said Pheleppeides.

Trusting their words, I picked up the Locking Merd and assumed the position advised in the books. Tension filled me as I felt the icy touch of the metal object in my hands.

“Is this position good?” I inquired, my fingers gripping tightly with my index resting on the trigger.

“Yes, you have secured a good position. Remember to disengage the safety pin before shooting.”

Suddenly, a small, sparkling light appeared above the safety pin above the revolver’s barrel. I almost forgot about it.

Following Pheleppeides indicated light, I used my telekinesis to pull the safety pin. I could sense a significant resistance, but it was easily overcome with a flick. After taking a deep breath, relaxing my stiffened body, I finally pulled the trigger.

2