Chapter 11: Do not resist and surrender
42 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Do not resist and surrender.

With a swift motion, the Security House’s door closed behind me. Pivoting on my heel, I proceeded forward, effortlessly phasing through the various checkup zones and smoothly passing through the desk and waist-level doors. 

While this area seemed darker than the previous Security Gates, the Guardians were neatly arranged into groups all around, unlike the previous.

Continuing to follow the guiding light, I floated through the area and came across new images and paintings adorning the walls. The taller ceiling was filled with intricate symbols and paintings.

Turning to the front, at the end of the long hallway, I saw something that led me to mutter unconsciously, “So, I’m on the third level of Aeonian.”

I could already see the vast expanse of the main central area of the Third Level. Across, a huge open hallway that seemed to extend high up; it was larger than any other hallway I had seen so far. Seeing this, I quickened my pace.

“Yes, the third level is known as the Omnifactory level. Most of Aeonian’s industrial units, archives, storage modules, and other compartments are located here on this level,” Pheleppeides explained.

“If this is the third level, where is the singularity located again?” I inquired.

“The singularity is located at the underground fifth level.” 

“Quite a long way, then.” I muttered. “So, where is this guiding light leading me? I can phase through objects, you know.”

My gaze shifted towards the Guiding light, its glowing leading across the expansive hall. As I followed, I passed through the long corridor and entered the vast open space of the third level. Filled with emptiness.

Unlike the People’s Hall, with its towering structures, scattered statues of Aeonian members, and touches of nature like greenery and empty fountains, the third level was devoid of such adornments.

“I have established a pathway directly above the Security Gates of the Singularity. Once you reach that location, you can start phasing through the ground.”

I nodded at Pheleppeides’s words, muttering, “Is that so?” as I stepped down on my feet, deciding to walk slowly and look around the area, moving across the wide empty space.

With each step I took, a soft tap broke the silence, its pattern repeating and adding solemn ambiance to the environment. The echoes reminded me of how I am the only being left in Aeonian. However, as I crossed to the center, a sudden loud noise came from the side.

*CLANK!!* *CLANK!!*

A sudden, loud thumping sound came from a distance, jolting my body as I swiftly turned my head toward it. There stood a humanoid Guardian beneath one of the open hallways, surrounded by cluttered items, with widened red eyes — the same as I was. 

“A Guardian?” The words slipped from my mouth unconsciously as my mind froze in shock.

Eh?

Before I could fully comprehend the situation, a sudden force lifted my body into the air, leaving me weightless. I felt the jarring impact of my back against something, sending a shockwave that cracked through my frames. Blinding white light flashed before my eyes, accompanied by a deafening ring that pierced my ears.

What happened? Confused, I attempted to look around, but my body felt stiff and sluggish, refusing to obey my commands.

However, as I turned my eyes, I noticed a lone figure slowly approaching me. With every silent step the Guardian took, I felt a chilling shiver course through my being, I could feel my entirety strongly fleeting away. There was an aura, an atmosphere that I couldn’t explain… A villain, an evil presence,  something ominous was drawing near.

“Please, Nameless ghost, calm down,” A voice echoed in the distance… A voice that felt achingly familiar.

Before I realized it, I was pinned against the cold hard wall. I attempted to move, but my body felt heavy, as if something was pressing me to the wall. Panic set in as I tried to glance down at my body. I saw a large rod piercing through my chest, with ethereal chains attached to one end, extending to the Guardian’s hands.

“Wa-wait! Stop!” My two voices rushed, overlapping each other. 

Despite my words, the Guardian did not stop their advance. Slowly and cautiously approaching me, I noticed something in their other hand — a sharp, thin sword gleamed a pale color, glowing through the darkness. 

“Speak not with that body, Parasite!” The Guardian shouted.

The Guardian’s booming voice shook my entire being, every fiber of my skin quivering involuntarily. Even the surroundings seemed to tremble in tune, leaving me stunned, “Wa-what?”

In an instant, the chains in their hands started glowing with a bright white light, swiftly closing in on me. An ominous sense of danger enveloped me, urging my very being to run away from it.

“Use your ability to Phase through walls—” A familiar voice echoed inside my mind. 

In a reflexive motion, I followed the words echoed in my head, enveloping my body in Mana as I phased through the wall behind, leaving the weapon pinned to it. Emerging into the other room, I landed on my knees, my mind turned a blank canvas as I was unable to process what happened.

“What was that?” I asked, looking at my hands as I tried to calm myself.

“It appears we have come across a surviving Guardian,” Pheleppeides remarked, “Unfortunately, I lack sufficient data to provide satisfactory information at this moment”

“What? What do you mean? I thought they were all turned off because there is no power?” I said.

“I am well-aware of that fact, Nameless Ghost. However, there is not enough data to determine why one remains active.”

“What do you mean? You always have the answers when I question you! How can you be uncertain now?” Overwhelmed with emotions, words got caught in my throat as I uncomfortably inspected my body and discovered a large gap on the left side of my chest. 

I knew that this body was vacant from any sentience, but seeing its current ruined state, a body resembling that of an Aeonian member. A sensation of piercing agony ran through my soul. 

I couldn’t help but ponder: should I be happy that my body that I am building is hidden away, or should I lament at the fact that this body was ruined because of my own action? 

No, I can still repair this… And then, I can still talk with them, to the surviving Guardian. Explain my situation, and perhaps work together as a team to repair the Singularity… Are we not doing something to repair Aeonian?

Turning my head to the side, I commanded, “Help me!” while clutching the open gap on my chest.

“Of course, Nameless Ghost,” Pheleppeides reassured. “However, there is no need to fear them, as you hold a position of higher authority. Once you communicate your situation to them, I believe they will be receptive, and you may even request for deactivation towards the Guardian that caused you harm.”

A sudden, intense burning sensation felt like it consumed the exposed gap in my chest, a gnawing feeling of something amiss within. Startled, I looked to see numerous unknown, black characters emerging from the void, creeping along my skin. Frantically, I pressed them away with my fingers, but I couldn’t stop their relentless spread throughout my body. 

In an instant, my vision distorted momentarily, and the next thing I knew, I found myself back in the wide-open hall of the third level, kneeling on the hard cold ground.

What!? How?

As I turned and pivoted, a sudden force yanked at my neck, hurling me once more to the ground. The impact was shocking, causing my body to convulse involuntarily, with the insides of my frame audibly creaking. My vision blurred into shades of black and white as I made out the familiar form of Guardian before me.

 Its long, sharp sword descended, piercing beneath my neck, a cold, metallic sensation shooting through me. My body groaned as a foreign object forcibly entered my being. 

“Ah, so the Parasite wields Mana,” they remarked coldly, rotating their sword in their grip, sending a relentless shiver through me, causing my mouth to widen involuntarily.

The Guardian continued, “You won’t be able to talk through that vessel anymore. Do not resist and surrender, Parasite. Your capabilities could serve a greater cause.”

No!

As the realization hit me, I frantically wrapped my body with Mana and phased through the ground below. I couldn’t comprehend how they instantly returned me back to the hall, but I knew I had to escape, away from them.

I need to get away from them. As far as possible. That Guardian is dangerous… It’s destroying this body, my body, and I can’t let that happen.

Phasing through the thick material covering my vision, I used my Mana to call out, “Help me, Phele—!?”

As the words began to form from my Mana, a surge of panic gripped me as my vision distorted yet again. Once it cleared, I found myself back in the main hall, confusion and overwhelming fear consumed my thoughts, my body felt tightening and trembling.

How come?!

Before I could even react to what was happening, I was violently hurled against the hard wall once more. The impact sent a shockwave through me, the unnaturally cracking sounds warning me that my frames were on the verge of shattering.

The Guardian’s chilling words echoed in my ears, full of pure evil that I refused to comprehend. “You may attempt to escape as often as you wish, but I will retrieve you as I see fit,” they stated, pausing for a moment before a smile stretched across their face, far different from what I had known as a Guardian. “Yet, I question if your Mana can withstand such demands.”

“Stay back! Please! Don’t destroy my body!” I begged, raising my stiff, trembling form, feeling the damage through my movements; it wasn’t behaving as it usually did.

I can’t keep this up.

“‘My body’?” the Guardian repeated before letting out a scornful laugh. “That body is not yours to use! How dare you inhabit the bodies of my companions, Parasite!”

“No! Wait! Wait! I can explain!” I panicked, waving my hand as I tried to sit up against the wall.

“I have no ears for a parasitic thief.” 

Before I knew it, his figure suddenly vanished and reappeared in front of me in an instant. His sword readied, ready to strike. As I saw the impending destruction of my body, I instinctively shouted, “Pheleppeides, help!”

“Des?” 

I heard the Guardian’s voice repeating a strange word. Their swords paused in mid-air as the Guardian stared at me, shock evident in its expression.

I have to run!

At that moment, I gathered my Mana to summon a powerful telekinesis. The Guardian’s body was blown across the hall, skipping on the ground before regaining control.

“Tsk!” 

The aura around the Guardian’s body intensified, filling me with unease. I had to escape before they could make another move. However, when I tried to summon my Mana, I felt nothing.

I quickly checked my HUD and realized that I had completely depleted my Mana pool. Unconsciously exclaiming in despair, “No way!?”

The next moment, the Guardian rose to its feet, leaping from the ground, its figure leaving various images behind. I watched in terror as  it drew its sword, poised to cleave my body in half.

Unable to witness the destruction of my body, I closed my eyes. Suddenly, a loud clashing of metal pierced through the chaos. Opening my eyes, I was met with the sight of another sword intercepting the attack, as if shielding me from harm.

Turning towards the origin of the sword, I discovered a new Guardian standing beside me, pulling me into her arms. Unlike the previous Guardian, this one had a female humanoid form with bright red hair, a striking contrast to the other’s white.

“Captain, there is no need to fight defenseless creatures, don’t you think? It’s important to maintain harmony in times like these?” the red-haired Guardian asserted, their sword crackling with sparks as the ground trembled underneath.

I’m saved?

The long, sharp sword retrieved and sheathed as the white-hair Guardian, who appeared to be called as Captain, asked sternly, “What brings you here, Kreva’eh? I believe this is not your route to patrol?”

“I thought you had encountered an enemy with all the noise, but here I find you simply toying with someone.” the red-haired female Guardian, replied while also sheathing her sword.

What are they doing? Confused about how their conversation turned, I slowly shifted my body to the side, attempting to distance myself from them. However, I quickly realized that the red-haired lady’s grip was stronger than I thought.

Suddenly, I was lifted off the ground and found myself being carried by the red-haired lady.

“Hello, there. Fellow Aeonian. You will come with us,” She declared with an eerie smile, giving me a sense that something was amiss behind it. “We won’t hurt you, unless you misbehave though.”

What is happening?! I don’t understand what is happening, why are they doing this? Who is this person?

Suddenly, I heard a soft tapping in the distance. I turned to look, only to see the white-haired Guardian already picking up several items from the ground.

“Hey! Numbhead! This person is clearly an Aeonian! You even heard her call out her Arkus to help! It’s even a Des Arkus!”

Numbhead? Des Arkus? What is that? 

However, the white-haired Guardian didn’t reply and simply waved their hand as they walked away. 

1