Chapter 4: Relaxing Bath & Hidden Talents
113 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That's... more than I was hoping to spend. Almost twenty percent of my money.

The sum was significant, half a week's work by any commoner's standard, and Liz's next words cast a shadow over my newfound wealth.

"Isn't that too much?"

"You do realize that bathhouses are for the rich, right?" she said, her tone laced with incredulity. "Most commoners use rags and buckets."

I glanced at her and thought about her words. "What's so sketchy about the cheap bathhouses, then?"

Liz's face contorted, her expression morphing into one of pure distaste. "The water is reused without being cleaned, even though it may look clear. Let's just say that I wouldn't trust the cheap ones."

Her tone triggered memories of my past life, working in the hustle and bustle of the service industry still fresh in my mind.

With a heavy sigh, I gave in, understanding what she was hinting at without her saying it outright. It made sense to rely on someone who knew the place well rather than stumbling around on my own. "Alright, let's avoid those."

Liz turned to see me as I sighed. "You have money to pay, right?"

I patted my backpack, the clink of coins offering reassurance. "I do have money, just not sure if it's wise to spend that much."

A part of me is reluctant to diminish my reserves for a single wash, even though it would be good. But another part of me really wants to get rid of this smell.

"Well, it's your money. The next cheapest one would be this way," Liz said, pointing in the direction they were walking in.

We walked up to the bathhouse after a few turns. A single-story sturdy structure of weathered stone and dark wood. Above it, a sign carved directly into the stone read: "Serenity Springs Bathhouse."

Despite its age, the building exuded a sense of elegance, its thick walls promising shelter from the day's heat. The entrance was marked by a heavy wooden door, worn smooth by countless hands.

The moment I stepped into the bathhouse, a wave of cool air washed over me, a stark contrast to the midday heat outside.

My eyes took a moment to adjust to the dim interior, illuminated by shafts of light that streamed through high windows.

The space was larger than I had anticipated, with a vaulted ceiling that echoed the quiet sound of our footsteps on the tiled floor.

To the right, a series of wooden benches and hooks lined the wall, presumably for guests to leave their belongings.

The air was fresh, tinged with a subtle scent of cedar and lavender, suggesting cleanliness and calm.

Ahead, the room opened up to a wide desk that spanned the width of the area, serving as both a reception and a barrier to the bathing areas beyond.

Flanking the desk were two doors, each marked with clear signs indicating the separate areas for men and women.

Liz and I made our way to the desk, our footsteps echoing softly in the spacious room.

It was only when a soft clatter drew my gaze to the side did I noticed a young man, no older than his early twenties, busily arranging towels on a lower shelf.

[ Human Lvl 6 ]

His movements were hurried, perhaps a bit clumsy, as one of the towels slipped from his grasp, prompting a muttered apology to the inanimate object.

After we crossed half the distance, he jerked his head toward us. Standing up, a look of mild surprise crossed his face. "Oh, I'm sorry, didn't hear you entering," he said, betraying a hint of nervousness. "The receptionist is on lunch break right now. But I can help you!"

Hearing about lunch made me think of my empty stomach. His stomach felt like a hollow drum, reminding him he hadn't eaten anything since morning.

The guy came over to us quickly, almost tripping over his own feet in his eagerness to assist us. "It's, uh, quite odd to have customers at this hour," he commented, then immediately blushed, his eyes widening as he realized how his words might have sounded. "I mean, not that it's odd for you to be here! I mean, we're open and happy to have you!"

Liz and I exchanged a knowing look, finding the situation a bit funny.

After the brief pause, Liz spoke up, pointing at me, "He needs a bath. How much for one?"

I took a moment to look around at how neat everything was, noticing the towels neatly placed on the shelves. But focused on the man after a quick look around.

The man's eyes took in my disheveled state, a frown growing on his face. "For a full-service bath, including our finest amenities, it's one silver coin," he started, his pitch gaining momentum as he listed off the benefits. "You'll have access to the exclusive spring-fed pool, a variety of handmade soaps, and—"

Before he could continue, Liz stepped in. "Just a basic bath, thanks. How much is that?"

The man paused, the beginnings of a sales pitch dying on his lips. There was a momentary droop in his shoulders, so slight I almost missed it, but he quickly recovered, plastering a smile on his face. "Of course, the common bath area would be fifty coppers. It's still a wonderful choice," he added.

I can see why he is not manning the reception. His reaction might have been due to missing out on a commission or perhaps the pride in showcasing the best of what they had to offer. Either way, his recovery was almost smooth.

"That'll work," I said, pulling out the coins from my bag and handing them over. His smile was now a touch more genuine as he accepted the payment.

I then chimed in, looking between Liz and the worker. "I'll go ahead with the bath, and Liz will wait here. That shouldn't be a problem, right?"

The man's response was immediate, his eagerness to please evident. "No problem at all," he assured, his smile returning. "Please, make yourself comfortable in the waiting area while I show him to the bath. Right this way, please," the man said, pointing to the left door.

"Don't take too much time…" Liz shouted as I moved away.

"Yes, yes… I will do it fast," I waved my hand.

After moving down a hallway, he turned to follow a double door. Despite the traditional appearance, he opened the door to a room that struck a contrast with its somewhat modern touch.

Directly ahead was a large, steaming pool carved from stone. Wisps of steam rise, blurring the boundary between water and air.

The edges of the pool are lined with smooth stones and rounded unevenly. Maybe due to use.

To the left, a row of wooden stools and buckets is neatly arranged beside shallow basins.

The stone walls were adorned with hooks for clothing and towels, and the room boasted a practical, clean design that was efficient.

"Before you use the pool, I recommend using the water from these buckets to wash off any excess dirt," the man instructed, pointing to the buckets arranged neatly along the left wall. "It will ensure a more pleasant experience in the bath. The soaps are along the walls. You've got it for half an hour."

 

---

 

Stepping back into the main hall, I found the two turning. I've changed into my nicer clothes: a white button-down shirt and trousers.

"Feel better?" Liz asked while checking me out.

"Much," I answer, feeling refreshed after changing into clean clothes.

But I noticed the smirk playing across her face. "At least you won't smell like the back alley anymore."

I rolled my eyes at her words. "Har-har, very funny. Let's go before wasting our time."

"I hope you enjoyed your visit! Please come again," the man called out as we walked toward the exit.

"Thank you, we definitely will," Liz replied, offering a wave.

 

As we stepped out into the hot afternoon, Liz turned to me with a curious look. "So, how about that tour of the city now?" she asked, a hint of excitement in her voice.

But before I could even open my mouth to reply, a loud rumble echoed from my stomach, betraying my hunger.

Liz tried to stifle a laugh, her eyes lighting up with amusement. "Sounds like someone needs to feed the beast first."

I couldn't help but laugh, trying to hide my warm cheeks. "Yeah, I guess exploring the city would be cut short."

"Come on, then. Let's find you something to eat. There's this great little place I know. They serve the best burgers in town," Liz said, her voice full of promise as she began leading the way. "I will also explain anything interesting we come across."

There was nothing much other than what I would have expected along the way. Smithies, vendors, apothecaries, merchants, and guards all everyday things that I expected.

There isn't much to do in the streets anyway. Disappointed that I didn't see anyone using magic or skills before reaching our destination.

"Here we are," she said, a smile spreading across her face.

I followed her gaze to a cozy three-story building ahead. Pale blue walls with a white pearl door and windows with glass panes. It looked pristine, charming, and damn expensive.

Above the double door, a large sign in white letters announced: Wandering Knight.

"Can I even afford it?" I asked, giving Liz a quizzical look.

"Don't worry about it. This place is the best in town, second only to those fancy spots where the nobles go," she said, puffing out her chest.

I teased, "So, it's not the best?"

Liz shot back with a smirk, "Got the coin for the best?"

"Touché," I muttered, hearing the retort. Seeing her confused look, I clarified, "It's an acknowledgment when someone says something clever."

I watched as the girl nodded her head, murmuring my words to herself. "Touché, Touché, Tou… Yeah, I like the word."

It dawned on me then that my translation skills couldn't handle certain nuanced words. Was it because of the absence of similar words in the Empire's language?

Looking at the smiling girl, I realized I may have introduced a new word to the Empire. Let's hope it didn't catch.

As we stepped into the bakery, a bell above the door rang. The air inside was filled with the aroma of roasting meat and fresh bread.

The girl behind the reception turned around to look at the door, and I noticed a flicker of confusion and a smile flash across her.

Liz skipped ahead of me as she made a beeline for the girl.

I followed her at a sedated speed while observing the tavern. The interior was a cozy mix of rustic charm and warmth, with wooden beams overhead and tables scattered around.

Half of the tables were filled with people, most of them looking quite well off.

Using my [ Identify ] skill, I glance at the people to check my hunch.

[ Human Lvl 29 ]

[ Human Lvl 25 ]

[ Human Lvl 37 ]

Panning across the view, most of the patrons were at a higher level than he had observed in the city, and he recalled the word about it being second best.

As he turned toward the counter, he checked the girl with his skill.

[ Human Lvl 11 ]

The girl behind the counter was notably charming, with her hair pulled back into a practical braid, her simple attire accented by two small, shiny earrings that caught the dim light.

She appeared to be in her late teens, a good six years older than Liz, almost on the brink of womanhood.

Isn't she too old to be her friend?

Then I looked at Liz, expecting to see Lvl 0, but stopped in shock as the words flashed above her.

[ Human Lvl 9 ]

No. No. NO. Oh Shit! I'm in deep trouble. Deep, deep trouble.

Seeing the result, I remembered the conclusion about my [ Identify ] Skill. Every child that looked below fourteen was Lvl 0. There was no exception other than the one standing in front of me.

And exception meant trouble magnets in all the fictions I had enjoyed.

Stupid, I should have checked when she tried to pickpocket me...

 

Some constructive criticism would be helpful. Please let me know if I made any mistakes, and I'll fix them. I'm only human, I make mistakes.

And Don't forget to Add To Your Reading List!

Side Note: This chapter may undergo edits in the future.

7