Chapter 9: Pen
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prisoner #1929 (Prospective)

 

Dammit! I can't believe I had to run this far to get away from those damned security bastards! If it weren't for my skill in camouflage, I would have died already. The prisoner has been on the run for two weeks and has yet to catch a break. Just recently, he crossed East Asia's border. Sitting at a cafe, he hid in a dark corner wearing all-black clothing so he couldn't get spotted. He left the cafe and went to one of those payphones once the coast was clear. 

The first person he could think of to call was an old friend of his.

"Hello?"

"Ferie. It's me."

There was a long silence before the voice spoke again, "Where have you been, Pen Alan?" 

Pen covered the mouth of the receiver as he noticed a few security guys nearby. He turned from their view, "It's a long story. I doubt you'll believe me." 

"Try me." 

"Let's just say that I got caught up in something dangerous. I have a favor to ask of you." Pen says.

"Something dangerous? What the hell did you dip your toe in this time, Pen? Don't you know you're Mom and I am worried about you?" The anger in Ferie's voice was understandable.

"I know. I'm sorry for the trouble. I need your help this one time. I promise that I'll stay out of trouble this time." 

Pen leaned against the glass. He felt nostalgic after hearing Ferie's voice. Her long sigh on the other end of the phone meant she wouldn't ask him any more sensitive questions.

"Alright. Fine. What's the favor?"

Pen needed somewhere to hide. It had to be a place no one knew of. There, he'll prepare himself and get revenge on the person who framed him. If it's Ferie, she might know someone with a place in mind. 

"Actually. I know just the person for this job. I think he has a spot in Japan somewhere." 

He wrote down the information, "Thanks, Ferie." 

"Seriously, Pen. Stay safe out there." 

He ended the call.

 

~System's Point of View~

 

It's a bit more lively now that those two are here. With the two slowly progressing with tasks related to their jobs, they both had already unlocked their system shops. In this case, Tasks given by me, the System, will reward them points based on the completion and rank of the task given. Kyoto's research showed that my system had unlimited points and reward data. He said there should be a way to turn it into a projector Quest Board later. In this way, everyone can select tasks and quests based on their jobs and ranks. 

It's a solid idea, quests and tasks can be given to groups of four to five people, and individual tasks and quests are seen from their system screens. We also learned about my system shop for base building, upgrades, and other essentials related to the property. As for Lillian, she ran some tests on security upgrading for the base. Her job will be to create a lock system and an unreachable security system. She'll need to level up and learn new skills to do that. 

"Boss, looking at the map, a red dot is approaching the south edge of the land. I say about 200 kilometers," Lillian says without looking back.

"That's at least a 4 to 5-hour walk," Kyoto muttered.

Lillian looks back at him with a half smile, "Come on. You can do it!"

"What if he's dangerous? Or worse..."

 

System: [You only have to lead him here.]

 

If that's the case, he knew what trick to use. 

 

~Kyoto's point of view~

 

First, Kyoto walked for five hours to see if he could spot the person his boss wanted to recruit. He could see the guy from a short cliff above a small marshy area. From what he could see, the man wore a normal pair of jeans and a tee shirt. There was a backpack that looked well-prepared for a trip. There was no way to discern if this guy escaped from prison.

Now, to get his attention. He'll start by throwing a pebble at him. This way he could get his attention and have the man chase him. If the man does not chase him far, he'll think of that whenever the bridge needs to be crossed.

"What the..." The man glanced around to see why he was feeling pint-sized pebbles hitting him. He noticed a person on a cliff a few meters above. 

 

 

~Pen's Point of  View~

"Hey!" He yells. 

Before he could ask for directions, the man darted off and without thinking, he gave chase. 

He would notice the man stop before darting off in another direction. It didn't take him long to realize he was being led somewhere. Pen took notice of his surroundings, there was a small building covered in vines. It looked ancient from the outside. He could tell that it was a building that stood for decades. He didn't see the man anywhere, but Pen wanted to check the building to see if he could turn it into his safe house. 

Before he could step forward, the man from before was in the doorway with an annoyed expression. Pen was a little disappointed to see someone else already occupied the place. 

"It's you again. I had a..." The words trailed off when the man turned back inside without a word.

This again. Pen followed behind expecting to see a small space with little furnishings. What he got was beyond his expectations, he never would have thought to see something built like a small base in the middle of nowhere. 

"It's about time. I assumed you wouldn't catch up." This came from the man standing on the left side of the room.

So, he was a researcher of some kind. Pen also noticed the floating device in the middle of the room. It had vines extruding from it that led in different directions. On the right side of the room was a girl sitting before a wall of computer tech.  

"I lost the bet. Didn't think he'd follow you." She says.

"Uh...I only did it because I need directions somewhere." Pen stated. 

From what the girl said that man was trying to lead him here. She laughed before telling the man what happened didn't count him winning the bet. He felt they forgot he was there until the man turned to him nervously. "I don't want to have to explain why you were led here. Instead, I'll have our boss tell you. First, touch the device to register." 

The man beckoned to the device in the middle of the room. Pen stared at it momentarily and scoffed, "I'm not touching that." He refused. The girl laughed so hard while clutching her stomach, but he didn't find what he said funny. 

 

 

 

2