Ch.8
1.6k 5 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8

Fever

 

Theron carried Vasilios into his bedroom, accompanied by the maid and me. Theron laid Vasilios in bed, placing him under the blankets.

“Close the curtains.” Ordered Theron.

“Y-yes.” The maid heads over, shutting the curtains. The room became darkened.

Theron looked at me, “Please watch his highness while I contact the physician.”

I nodded, as he fled out the door. I stood next to Vasilios. He was sleeping, but it was clear he was having difficulty breathing.

The maid glanced down at Vasilios, “He’s sweating excessively, I’ll go find a cloth to clean it off.”

I watched as the maid walked out of the room. It was now just the two of us. Placing my hand on his forehead, he was burning up more than before.

...

After a few minutes, the maid came back holding a stack of cloths.

“I couldn’t find any other than these washcloths.” She sets them next to the table beside the bed.

“They’ll do.” Acquiring one of the washcloths and gently patting it on the boy’s forehead.

“Is there something on my face?” Noticing the maid was looking at me worriedly.

“Oh, no... it’s not that.” She presents me with a nervous expression, “It’s just pleasant to see you taking care of someone...”

“Well, of course, he’s my brother after all.” Bestowing her a soft smile, but knowing deep down that maid was undoubtedly worried about something else.

“What’s your name?”

“..What?” The maid widened her eyes.

Is it that Alice already knew her?

“Sorry, my mind is a bit distorted after the incident..!” I lied.

“Since you would always refer to me as auntie, I suppose you’ve forgotten my name.” The maid chuckles, “It’s Ramona.”

“Auntie has such a lovely name!” I said gaily.

An hour past, Theron and a man enter the room. He must be the physician...

Seeing as the man checked up on Vasilios, Theron appeared quite tense.

“He's just got a fever. He’ll be fine in a week.” Hearing the physician discussing to Theron.

Theron looked relieved.

“The medication will arrive by tomorrow morning.” The man had told Theron before he left the room.

Vasilios developed a fever two days earlier. I’d tend to take a peek through his door, to make sure he was doing well. Today, he was capable of sitting up. Yet he was also appearing half asleep.

The more I watched Theron look after him, the more he portrays a brotherly figure to Vasilios than his guard.

The rest of the day was Theron’s lectures, going outside, and helping Ramona around the palace. It's been pretty dull, particularly since I haven’t interacted with Michael.

Again, sitting alone in the dining room. At least it wasn’t just me and Theron now, because Ramona is here. However, it still feels a bit off, as the two of them are just standing beside me and watching me eat. I ended my breakfast early and headed out, but stopped as soon as I realized it was raining.

“Princess, you look quite troubled.” Theron came up to me, carrying a table tray.

“I’m incapable to go outside because of the weather, there’s little more for me to do...” I frowned.

“Princess, would you mind taking this tray to his highness’ room?” He asked.

I nodded, “Absolutely!”

….

I walked into Vasilios’ room, bearing the tray. His space was dim due to the curtains being closed, making it impossible to not run into furniture. I put up the table tray next to Vasilios, who was still asleep. He seemed even healthier than on the first day. His breathing was almost back to normal, and he was barely sweating. His cheeks had a relatively red tint to them, however. Observing him sleep so peacefully, made it hard not disturb his sleep. But I’d have to, or else his food will get cold.

“Brother, wake up!” Giving him a little shake.

I watched as Vasilios slowly arose up, rubbing his eyes. He grabbed the fork and received a few bites out of the dessert.

To my surprise, he hasn’t yelled at me or told me to leave, perhaps we’ve gotten closer?

I noticed Vasilios placed his fork back on the tray after consuming half of the dessert and him lying back down on the bed.

“B-brother, you’ve only eaten your dessert!”

“I’m full..” He shifts his body to the side, turning his back to me.

“Brother, you have to eat so that your fever will go away! Sister will be worried if you don’t eat!”

“..Sister?” He whispered as he sat up, staring at me.

He seethed through gritted teeth, “I’ll never recognize you as my sister, particularly coming from the daughter of that wench.”

..I suppose I’ll take back what I stated about him. His blunt words did wound me, but what did I expect, Vasilios never regarded Alice as his sister, to begin with... My fingers began to quiver as I gripped my dress, now is not the time to get sentimental.

I gave him a forced grin, “Brother, I’m not going to leave until you devour at least half of your meal!”

“..Tsk, feed me then.”

“..Huh?” I look at him stupidly.

“I have no appetite, but if it’s for you to leave.. then feed me.”

Irritated, I grabbed his fork and stabbed a piece of egg and bacon. “Say aah~!” Making airplane motions with the fork... Do airplanes even exist in this world?

Vasilios looked shocked, did he expect me to not feed him and to just sit around? Well, if that's the only way for him to eat, then I don’t mind. Embarrassed, Vasilios took the bite, and chewed, not willing to make eye contact with me.

I wonder, since the first day, has he only been consuming the dessert? I suppose I’ll make sure he eats all these broccolis.

I decided to stop once the plate was half done.

“See brother, it wasn’t so bad!” Feeling satisfied.

Vasilios appears like he’s going to throw up at any moment. Perhaps, I overdid it...

He settled back down and closed his eyes. It’s not good to be on your back after eating, was what I’d say but it seemed like he already dozed off.

I reached out and brushed his hair. It was soft. Almost like a sheep. As I was about to withdraw my hand from his hair, Vasilios suddenly clutched it and placed it back on his head.

“Don’t go anywhere.”

“Brother, you’re so confounding! Beforehand you told me to leave, but now you want me to stay?”

“..Since when did I order you to leave.” Sounding more of a statement rather than a question.

Come to think of it, he never did tell me to leave, but he did advise. Feeling flustered at what nonsense I just said, “W-well, I have no choice since Theron is waiting for me in the library!” I picked up the tray table and rushed out of the room.

24