The Duality
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All is, all will be, born of those ends.

Probacon and David sitting on tiny space rocks while fishing through “stardust” in the greater vacuum of space.


The masses watched on, filled with anxiety in their chest.

With great strain Adashu attempted to lift himself. This, despite his serious injuries, was a notable point for all watching.

Bo, his opponent, still lay face first on the ground, without any sort of movement.

All the while, Adashu tried for the push, but his weakened state was a great limiter. Khh! I can't…I can't get up. I can't find the strength to do so. But I must! He thought, clenching his teeth in pain.

For both our sakes, and that of the people…, He carried on, taking note of his opponent and the audience. But regardless, his efforts seemed vain for a long moment.

Suddenly, as if a divine call, a singular clap could be heard, echoing in both Field and Coliseum, catching the unsuspecting Adashu's attention.

It continued constantly, echoing with a rise in frequency for all to hear.

Adashu looked up, searching for its source.

And when he finally found it, his eyes widened in astonishment.

It was a child. A female humanoid child possessing somewhat spiky, droopy hair, strange clothing that resembled armor with thin layers, a combination of a top piece and a skirt, black irises surrounded by a rounded shape, and an ape-like tail, applauding as a form of cheer, and as a form of encouragement. She looked with severity, hoping her gesture reached the struggling combatant.

Others around her watched in confusion, in question of the precise intent and aim of such action.

However, another near her began applause as well, and so did another, and then another, and another, and so on.

This until the majority of those who observed, all in unison clapped. Participant and spectator alike, all applauding the efforts of the duo.


Adashu looked on, at first perplexed by both the situation and magnitude.

But in a strange twist, his emotions marginally got the better of him, moved by this gesture of appreciation.

Then, using that emotion, he tried to rise up once again.

《Touched by their heart…》

Still struggling as before, but this time, carrying on as much as was required of him.

《He begins to rise.》

And but surely, he got on his knees, then lifted one, then two, and attempted to stand up straight.

《Invigorated and impassioned…》

Despite his stumblings, his will would not falter, as the peoples looked on in anticipation, awaiting his moment of victory.

《Hastened by their anxious focus…》

Finally, he got up completely, standing straight without any support or the other. Despite his wounded and battered body, he stood strong and defiant.

《And in due time…》

Finally, he looked at the projection mirror, he lifted to the sky his two fists clenched in deserved glory.

《Victorious he stands.》

And in synchronous realization, the audience bellowed in a great celebratory roar. The winner could not be more clear.

The event's delegate caretakers, Tōmii and Dgiag, overlooked with satisfied dispositions. "Always a good day when mortality can support one another, regardless of all else,” said Dgiag with a smile. "Hmmm-hmmm,” chuckled the ever-entertained Tōmii.

"Thou art correct. They, irregarding o’ all variance and apathy, share more commonality than they trow. Or is't not one o” the purposes o’ this grandeur occasion?"

"Mhm. So now I acknowledge…,” stated Dgiag, beginning to walk forward from where he and Tōmii had stationed themselves.

"...The victor of this battle…IS ADASHU CHIME!!!"

The roars from the crowd grew larger and louder, continuing their seemingly never-ending appraisal. The battle was over, and the victor reveled in the joy all around him.

"You must really be enjoying yourself, reveling in victory like that,” spoke a familiar voice, one that instantly attracted Adashu to itself.

He turned towards its source, catching a glimpse of Bo, who also slowly recovered, and slowly rose back to his feet.

"Hmph. Must be the Tyromean healing factor.” Adashu said jokingly

"Well…this won't be my worst necessary recovery. But you have earned my respect. You are a worthy combatant. And you beat me almost completely. Although, looking at both of us right now, one would be inclined to believe I won."

Both laughed, as Adashu extended help to Bo.

《More and more, strong bonds are formed. All from the bliss of competitive battle.》

Suddenly, the Jmlehvu would appear again, directly beside the two as they inquired on their current states, checking vitals and other important data.

Dgiag would also come into the Field yet again, checking on both as well.

Adashu looked towards the projection mirror, saluting to the young child who began the round of applause.

She nodded and smiled at his gesture.

《Two hearts…》

Both were then transposed away for further treatment, as Dgiag once again turned to the entirety of those who watched, to address them yet again.

"Beings of the omniverse, this…this is what we are here for. And to see most of you acknowledge such, well, it has set my heart ablaze!"

The crowd cheered yet again, appreciative of Dgiag's words.

"But with digression, I must note an important development…"

They would begin murmuring amongst themselves.

"This occasion, or more precisely, the battles, will undergo a short interlude, unfortunately."

There was a collective shout of confusion, as almost everyone began clamoring about the sudden notice, asking for answers.

"Please do understand, this is for the sake of this occasion to flow properly, for its path has already been planned from even before many of your worlds came into form. All I ask is for unison."

The crowd mellowed down, the majority accepting the answer.

Dgiag saw this reaction, and sighed in slight relief.

"Very well. Rest well, all!" He said, teleporting as well as Tōmii who also disappeared.

The contestants were transposed back to their entrance. And those seated in the Coliseum were allowed to exit if they desired so.

"That was…unexpected,” said one participant. "A break? Really? I thought divinities didn't need 'em,” said another.

"Probably just some excuse to screw us over. I don't believe them one bit,” said one who was disgruntled.

As the participants murmured and chatted with each other as they all left their designated seating, Probacon was trying to find his way around and out.

He suddenly bumped into someone.

"Ah, sorry." "Oh? Don't bother.” He responded.

It was a tall male humanoid, with near-pale white skin, spiky snow white hair, roughly almond-shaped silver-irised eyes with diamond-shaped pupils, pointed ears, wearing a long and stylish black winter coat, dark gray pants and black combat boots, a black biker glove on his right hand, and a strange thin metallic band with fragments around his left wrist and lower thumb, though slightly covered by his sleeve. He held a strange sword to his side, gold, black, red and white in color.

《Noot Noot. Arct-nix, Alias: “The Polymath”. Age 200+.》

"Uh…you alright with the coat on? (It is a bit warm,” asked Probacon. "Not really. Heat is more or less unruffling when you're born in the cold, umm…what's your name?,” replied the individual as he tilted himself slightly backwards.

"Probacon. You can call me Pro though." Probacon responded.

"Huh. Strange name, most certainly. And I…well, for now you can call me Noot."

Your name is stranger by my standards…, thought a livid Probacon. "Ah, well, nice to meet ya, Noot."

"Mutual,” responded Noot. "Though, your gestures seem a bit…shaky. How are you feeling?"

"Uh, kinda small, considering how big the omniverse seems.” Probacon responded.

"Don't be so discouraged. For the very reason you think yourself ‘small’, show why you are as mighty as they come. Motivate yourself." Noot said to him, placing his hand on Probacon's shoulder for extra assurance.

"Uhh…alright. Thanks, I guess?,” replied a puzzled Probacon.

"No worries. Take care,” said Noot just as he was taking his leave.

"Strange guy,” said Probacon, with one hand akimbo.

He wandered off, and in doing so he discovered many different parts of the Coliseum, finding a multitude of things.

A virtual experience of the lower reaches of the omniverse.

A dining arena, filled with delicacies from all across existence.

A highlight room, replaying all that had happened in the tournament so far.

And a place with a light show, with absolutely spectacular visuals.

Probacon stood there, watching in awe.

"Is it not beautiful? The energy within all?,” said a gentle and mature voice beside him, which he hurriedly swiveled his neck to take into view its source.

Probacon turned to look at who it was.

"Fret not, young Djin. I have come simply to observe, as you have.” He said, giving Probacon a light smile with closed almond eyes.

"...Is that so?,” said Probacon, as the two proceeded to keep beholding the light works.

"What did you mean by 'energy within all'?,” asked Probacon.

The stranger, tall and built, with brown long hair with gray tips in a ponytail, and stunning mahogany irides. Clad in red and black heavy armor akin to the wear of a Greek Hoplite, and seemingly wearing a red flower-embroidered yukata underneath, with the lower half popping out below his armor. He looked at Probacon, and then smiled.

"The Meridian.” He said, looking back at the light show, as it became more luminous and greater than before.

"Huh?"

"Meridian Energy. The ultimate quintessence within everything. No matter what, or where. ‘Omnipresent’ in an eternal flow. That is its nature. And, the greatest source of power of many of us combatants."

"Oh. Ok. How though?,” asked an intrigued Probacon, drawing himself closer to the strange individual.

"The Force and Link of the Meridian. The Force is the energy in its embodied state, situated in its highest plane of existence. Transcendent, and existing above much else…" Does the Grandmaster Deity have something to do with this as well?, contemplated Probacon.

"And then…the Link. Of all, a chosen few possess a direct connection to that Force. Granting supernatural of varying types, called Powers, or Talents. Things determined even long before our existence, as told. It is that which makes us the 'special ones'. It is that which makes us…the Linked."

"Oh…I get it now. I never knew this,” said Probacon, thinking over this newfound knowledge.

"You'd be surprised just how little we seem to truly know,” said the stranger.

He then turned around, seemingly taking his leave.

"Goodbye, young Djin. Our chat was…refreshing.” He said as he started walking away.

Probacon looked as he walked away, somewhat disturbed.

That guy…he seems wise and learned. But at the same time…the energy I sense from him…is different from others. There's an odd…something off-putting about it. Or maybe it's just me, thought Probacon.

And just as he concluded, Binč appeared just at his side. "Hello, Probacon!" She said.

"Binč! Good to see you. But, why are you here?"

"Oh, it's simple really…I just wanna tell you…,” She replied, going closer to the Djin's ear.

Then, she drew in a huge breath.

"GO TO THE PARTICIPANT SEATING AREA! MATCHES ARE ABOUT TO RESUME, YOU MORON!!!" She continuously shouted in his ear. "Aaahhh! Okay, okay, I got it!"

Afterwards, Pro would head back to the seating, catching up with Drizzled, as the fourth match was about to begin.

"Hey! Did I miss anything?" He asked, jumping from behind his seat into it "Not really. It's 'bout to start."

Probacon looked down at the two in the a Field, one was a Kujijin, a race of “slug-like” aliens, possessing no hair but two bulb-ended antennae, brown in skin color, pure black irides and elven ears, dressed in traditional black and blue Kujijin wear, clothing resembling simple robes.

《Haipuban. Kujijin Mercenary. Age 36.》

And the other combatant was someone familiar. "Wait, that's-!"

It was the stranger who Probacon had talked to at the light show.

《Bora. Olympian Demigod. Age 1632.》

"You recognize the dude in armor? The renowned Champion of Zeus?"

"Kinda. Just a little chat back at the light show. He kinda explained the…Meriden Force to me."

"Meridian, you mean." "Yeah, that."

Dgiag enacted his standard routine. "Now, your respects…” He said, beckoning to both.

Bora performed am Olympian greeting, a simple light bow with his palm just beneath his face, while Haipuban performed standard Kujijin greeting, akin to a martial art bow.

Dgiag once again transposed back to the Coliseum, ready to begin the match.

He breathed in, held it for a while and signaled the match's start.

"BEGIN!!!"

The duelists took battle stances, ready to see what the other was capable of.

And watching with interest, was Probacon, still unsettled by Bora's presence…

《”What is this feeling…?” rings through his mind.》


0