Chapter 7: Lao Yang, Lao Yang, you sure gave me a warm welcome to your home
34 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheng Yu had fallen into a deep sleep in Lan Sheng Zhe’s back. It was a few hours after Lan Sheng Zhe left him in the dark room, when he started to have nightmares. 

Smell of iron, pitch black room, Cheng Yu heard himself scream in pain. Hands and legs were bound by heavy iron change, no matter how hard he tried he couldn’t move a single muscle. 

Cheng Yu was breathing heavily when he opened his eyes and his body was drenched in sweat. He had a splitting headache like he had in his dreams giving an illusion that he was still in the nightmare place. Anxiety increased in Cheng Yu as he slowly got up and tried to feel his surroundings. His heart pounded against his chest like a relentless drum, sweat kept dripping down his body, leaving him shivering in the chill of his own fear. His mind raced, thoughts colliding like chaotic storms in the vast expanse of his consciousness. With trembling hands, Cheng Yu groped blindly in the darkness, searching desperately for any semblance of an exit. Each passing moment felt like an eternity, stretching into infinity. 

Finally, he touched a wall and tried to steady himself leaning against the wall as he tried his best trying to figure out the situation; with unstable steps he walked trying to feel for the door. His effort was futile as he felt no bumps let alone a structure for the door. 

Is this a barrier?

Realizing that he was trapped in this hellish place, Cheng Yu did not care anymore. He was fighting to keep his consciousness as he tried to forcefully break away from the barrier. It felt like countless needles pierced through his skin and bone shattering pressure crushed his body from all over. 

I escaped from a stronger barrier than this, this is nothing!

It took him countless tries before he broke through the barrier and staggered outside and coughed up a mouthful of blood. His skin had torn apart, his clothes were drenched in sweat and blood.

The sun was still not on the horizon yet. A gentle breeze caressed his body as he slowly calmed down and was able to somewhat guess his current situation. 

Cheng Yu smirked as he whispered, “Lao1Lao ( 老 ): In casual or informal settings, "Lao" is  used to address someone in a friendly or familiar manner, regardless of age or seniority. It's similar to adding "old" or "old buddy" before someone's name in English, conveying a sense of camaraderie or informality. Yang, Lao Yang, you sure gave me a warm welcome to your home.”

Cheng Yu dragged his painful body to look around and finally found Lan Sheng Zhe’s place and chose to spend the rest of the night under the tree in front of his house. 

Lan Sheng Zhe had a mentally exhausting day therefore for the night he chose to sleep with a barrier blocking any sound and smell from outside. It was dawn when he opened his eyes. As soon as he dissolved the barrier, he smelt a pungent smell of blood in the air. 

Panicked struck in Lan Sheng Zhe’s heart as he strode outside. What greeted him was the unconscious body of Cheng Yu covered in dry blood all over his clothes. The wounds were still opened and  some new blood seemed to continuously seep through the cracks.

Lan Sheng Zhe's heart completely sank and picked him up in a bridal carry. A smell of blood and sweat assaulted his nose as he took him inside the house and laid him in his bed.

Lan Sheng Zhe never allowed anyone inside his bedroom let alone someone covered in blood to lay on his bed. None of it mattered, nor did he think of cleanliness or the smell as he tried to find out the health condition of Cheng Yu.

Cheng Yu’s body seemed incomprehensible, when Lan Sheng Zhe took his wrist and sent his spiritual cognition it felt as if the spiritual energy was entering a pot with a hole in the bottom. He could feel steady meridians but not sense a golden core, just like Cheng Yu had claimed, he was a mortal. But not an ordinary one, he still had spiritual veins but they seemed to be connected to each other instead of a core. 

This body was too complicated and Lan Sheng Zhe didn’t want to gamble with Cheng Yu’s life with his shallow knowledge in medicine so he called Li Zhixin to come in haste. 

Meanwhile, Lan Sheng Zhe wiped his body with a wet cloth and bandaged those wounds. Lan Sheng Zhe didn’t understand the urgency of escaping, did Cheng Yu think he was going to trap him there forever? Why go through so much pain just to pass out in front of his house? Lan Sheng Zhe swore he was not worried nor did he care, he just needed him for investigation that’s all. Lan Sheng Zhe thought so, as he carefully changed Cheng Yu to his new clothes making sure not to accidentally stab his wounds.

Li Zhixin arrived within an incense stick of time. Lan Shengzhe asked him to come directly inside. He was never allowed inside of Sheng Zhe’s room so he panicked thinking something might have really gone wrong. As soon as he arrived, what greeted him was a tall figure, wearing Lan Sheng Zhe’s clothes, lying unconscious in Lan Sheng Zhe’s bed, seeming to be going through a nightmare. Lan Sheng Zhe was sitting next to the man wiping the sweat off that man’s forehead with a worried look on his face. 

This scene shocked Li Zhixin completely out of his wits and for a moment he didn’t know if he should make a sound or move. Lan Sheng Zhe sensed his presence and looked at Li Zhixin with a pleading expression that he himself didn't know he had. 

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Zhixin, I...”

Li Zhixin frowned looking at stressed Lan Sheng Zhe, “Move aside let me have a look” 

Li Zhixin first fed Cheng Yu a sobering medicine to bring him back from the dream and ease his pain. Cheng Yu seemed to calm down after taking it and the crease in Lan Sheng Zhe’s brows also seemed to ease.

Li Zhixin checked that Lan Sheng Zhe had already taken care of the external injury so he took out Cheng Yu’s wrist to check for internal injuries. As soon as Li Zhixin touched Cheng Yu’s wrist, Cheng Yu woke up and flung Li Zhixin’s hand away and he crawled back a few times. He calmed down upon noticing his surroundings. Li Zhixin extended his hand again but Cheng Yu refused to cooperate. “Don’t touch me!”

Lan Sheng Zhe did not understand Cheng Yu’s strange behavior, “He’s here to help you”

“Many thanks to sect leader Li for the trouble, but I am fine.” After saying that Cheng Yu tried to get off the bed when Lan Sheng Zhe with an ugly expression held him down.

“Rest here, if you don’t want treatment I won’t force.” After saying that, Lan Sheng Zhe and Li Zhixin walked out of the room. 

Cheng Yu laid back down observing his surroundings, when his eyes landed on a sword holder holding a very beautiful and exquisite sword. It was the sword he used when he was young, Yitian2Yitian (倚天): The name of Cheng Yu’s sword, which he used before the red night..

Lan Sheng Zhe and Li Zhixin walked side by side by the Yin Yang Springs. After seeing Lan Sheng Zhe had no intention of explaining anything Li Zhixin asked, “Who’s that person? He seemed to recognize me”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Someone I met few days ago”

Li Zhixin raised his eyebrows as if he heard a joke, “Someone you met a few days ago? And you let them inside your bedroom?”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “In Yunhuan. He lives in the Mist mountain.”

Li Zhixin sighed, “Sheng Zhe…”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “I know, I know it's not him. But I couldn’t help myself when I saw someone with similar face lying unconscious in front of my door”

There was a long silence, only the sound of water flowing and rustling of the wind could be heard. Lan Sheng Zhe's mind came back to normal after a few moments.

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Did you find anything on the containers I gave you?”

Li Zhixin, “I figured out what the powder is. It’s called Taqidu. It’s a deadly poison that can stir up one’s spiritual energy in the body and make them go through a qi deviation. It’s an odorless and tasteless poison very easy to concoct; however the ingredients for the poison are very rare. The use of Taqidu nowadays is close to none, where did you find it?”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “What about the other container?”

Li Zhixin by now is used to being ignored, “What about the other container? Do you really expect me to find something from an empty bottle?”

Lan Sheng Zhe didn’t push it any further and asked for the prescription of Taqidu. 

Li Zhixin handed him a list as he remarked, “Although I didn’t find anything about the pill, I did find fragments of broken Changhua in the mixture of the container’s build.”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Changhua?”

Changhua was a rare stone all over the world, however Yanshan had an abundance of this stone, where Yan Clan is located. And because of scarcity of the stone, it is very expensive. For someone to use something made of Changhua as a disposable tool, is not any average cultivator.

Li Zhixin, “I know what you’re thinking, but this alone cannot prove involvement of the Yan Clan. Sheng Zhe, you must not make any rash decisions.”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “I know”

Li Zhixin came in a haste and there was still unfinished work left to do so he did not delay any longer and left Lanhai after walking a couple of more minutes with Lan Sheng Zhe in silence. 

It wasn’t till dusk when Lan Sheng Zhe came back to his house. When he entered his room no one was there. There is no point in binding Cheng Yu, if he wanted to leave he would find his way out. And Cheng Yu wan’t a prisoner, Lan Sheng Zhe couldn’t just forcefully capture or torture him. 

Lan Sheng Zhe was lost in thought when sounds of laughter from his kitchen brought him back to reality. At first he thought it was Lan Ru Hui again, creating one of her deathly potions which she wants to call it food. Today there seemed to be one more person there as well.

As Lan Sheng Zhe walked near the kitchen, a rich and flavourful aroma of food came to his nose. When he walked inside he saw Lan Ru Hui covered in flour from head to toe, Cheng Yu was laughing at her as he cleaned up the mess. On the kitchen table lay several freshly cooked dishes which were still steaming, releasing a beautiful aroma. 

Watching this scene Lan Sheng Zhe felt a complicated emotion within his heart, which made Lan Sheng Zhe’s stressed mind relax for no particular reason. 

Cheng Yu, “You’re finally here?”. Cheng Yu picked out a carrot from the vegetable broth he was currently brewing, blew on it and held it against Lan Sheng Zhe’s lips prompting him to open his mouth “aaa”.

Lan Sheng Zhe looked at him dumbfounded by his actions but still opened his mouth. The carrot was soft, melting as soon as it entered Lan Sheng Zhe’s mouth, the spice and salt was just the right amount. It made Lan Sheng Zhe forget what he was going to say.

Lan Ru Hui was also dumbfounded by the courage of this guy but what surprised her the most is that her shishu actually ate it! “Wow”

Cheng Yu, “It’s delicious, isn't it?”

Lan Sheng Zhe, realizing what he just did and felt a bit embarrassed, backed off with a cold expression creating a bit of distance between him and Cheng Yu. He took a fresh new cloth and wet it with water and through it at Lan Ru Hui’s face, “You look like a snowman”

This made everyone burst out laughing, even Lan Sheng Zhe couldn’t help but raise the corner of the lips a bit. 

Lan Ru Hui excused herself to get changed to new clothes, warning them to not start without her. While Cheng Yu set the tables in the dining hall. 

Since when did those two get this close? Lan Sheng Zhe did not know, he just watched those two to arrange things at his own place and treat himself as a guest.  

 Lan Sheng Zhe silently watched Cheng Yu busy himself and finally sat down at the table after setting all the dishes and looked at Lan Sheng Zhe prompting him to sit as well. 

 Lan Sheng Zhe sat opposite Cheng Yu, “Your wounds?”

Cheng Yu, “Wounds? They’re gone long ago. I’ll be fine even if I jumped of a cliff”

 Lan Sheng Zhe, here he goes again with his nonsense. “Why did you come here?”

Cheng Yu, “Gege, how could you ask me that? Weren't you the one to arrest me and bring me here?”

It’s so impossible to talk to this guy, nine out of ten words he speaks are full of bullshit. Lan Sheng Zhe was just starting to not dislike the guy so much, although it stemmed from the guilt of Cheng Yu’s condition because of him but it was really hard to not punch the guy in the face when he opened the trash mouth of his. 

Seeing Lan Sheng Zhe was ready to take out his sword again, Cheng Yu gave a somewhat acceptable answer “Jiezhi Xiande, suspects me of some conspiracy, isn’t it best for me to stick to you to prove my innocence? I’m cooperating with your investigation, isn't that good?”

Lan Sheng Zhe decided to accept the reason for now and asked “Why did you go see lady Xie?”

Cheng Yu, “Oh Jin Jinghua? Isn’t she pretty? I heard she is unparalleled beauty, since I am all the way here. What's the harm in having a glance?

Lan Sheng Zhe, “She is married and has a child!”

Cheng Yu, “So?” 

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Shameless!”

Cheng Yu burst out laughing.

Lan Ru Hui came back and saw that her shishu was angry enough to explode and Cheng Yu was laughing while holding his stomach. This guy created trouble didn’t he? I should’ve never left him alone with shishu!

Lan Ru Hui, “What did you do to make shishu angry?”

Cheng Yu, “I was just asking how he raised you to be so stupid?”

“You're the one who’s stupid!” Lan Ru Hui sat down with a pout, sulking at Cheng Yu.

Cheng Yu felt a great sense of accomplishment after pissing off both uncle and niece duo and started wolfing down the food. 

Lan Sheng Zhe ate quietly as he watched Cheng Yu and Lan Ru Hui laugh and bicker with each other. Finally Lan Ru Hui seemed to find someone who matched her energy.

Lan Ru Hui was very lonely in the sect. Even though she had the reputation of an adoptive daughter and direct disciple of Lan Zhi Zhou, no one in the Lan family considered her as one of them. They’d always use back handed comments and talk behind her back. Lan Ru Hui never complained about this to Lan Zhi Zhou but she never approached them again. The outer disciples however were very nice but they did not dare treat her like a friend incase they accidentally offended the Mingri Zhi Guang3Mingri zhi Guang: 明日之光 (Míngrì zhī Guāng), Lan Zhi Zhou’s title name. Meaning: Light of Tomorrow.  The only people she associated with were Lan Zhi Zhou and Lan Sheng Zhe, which is why both brothers tolerated her childish behavior and indulged in whatever she wanted. Lan Xi Zin also liked her but ever since Lan Xi Zin declared Lan Zhi Zhou as his succeeding disciple and sect leader apparent, he handed all the responsibility to Lan Zhi Zhou. Lan Xi Zin mostly stayed in seclusion, resulting in not a lot of interaction between Lan Xi Zin and Lan Ru Hui.

Lan Ru Hui left after dinner was over. Leaving only Cheng Yu and Lan Sheng Zhe in the room.

Cheng Yu was cleaning up the table when he heard Lan Sheng Zhe ask, “How do you know Yan Xuan?”

Cheng Yu, “He’s a pitiful guy, people say he causes chaos everywhere he goes but in reality he just wants attention from his dad. I met him in the Yumyum inn, he was causing trouble with one of the singers so I had to give him a good beating”

Lan Sheng Zhe looked at him deciding whether to believe him or not.

Cheng Yu, “Really! After beating him I made him some food, I really shouldn’t have because after that he would come find me often to make him this and make him that. Showed him a little affection he became a clingy puppy”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “I’m heading to Yanshan tomorrow, you’re coming with me”

Cheng Yu, “Okay, only if you let me sleep in your bed”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “No”

Cheng Yu, “I’m sick!”

Lan Sheng Zhe, “You said you got all better”

Cheng Yu pouted as he said, “I don’t wanna go back to the dark confined place”

Lan Sheng Zhe was curious why he was so scared of a dark and confined place when he lived in the infamous Mist mountain but he had a feeling the guy would just spout nonsense so he didn’t.

Lan Sheng Zhe, “Didn’t Ru Hui show you, your room?”

Cheng Yu, “It’s too far from here, don't like it, not using”

Lan Sheng Zhe didn’t bother with him anymore and went to his room, locked the door and started to meditate ignoring all the complaints of Cheng Yu. 

With no other option Cheng Yu climbed the cherry blossom tree next to the window of Shengzhe’s bedroom and decided to sleep on the tree.

 

Fun facts!

Tādú (铊毒) is an actual poison which is odorless and tasteless. English name Thallium poison. 

Changhua, also known as chicken blood stone, is an actual stone found only in China. (Disclaimer: The setting of the story takes place in a fictional world so geographically Yanshan does not map to any real place on earth)



5