Chapter 19: The Next Best Thing – Nexawork’s Job
204 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Welcome, Alina Lisbell]

[Personal Preference: Healer, Vampire, Combat, Uncertified IM Doctor]

[Current Level: Single Class - Lv.10]

[Listing Jobs Near Rivercircle...]

This isn't so bad for an interface on a phone app, is it? Still, I don't remember filling it up all to this point. Could this be Ilya's doing? Well, it makes things easier for me, I shouldn't complain about it. Let's see, what a healer can do in this world...

• Frontline Medic in Faction Skirmishes - Provide urgent medical care in Sundown Forest for Rivercircle council

• Magical Defense Operator for Village Raids - Defend Lobaria village from sudden raids while administering battlefield healing. 

• Escort Healer for High-Risk Prisoner Transfer - Safeguard and heal during the transportation of dangerous prisoners. 

• One-Day Security Detail for Political Summit - Offer both protection and medical support at a high-stakes diplomatic event. 

• Combat Healer for Mercenary Tryouts - Ensure participant safety and health during mercenary recruitment. 

• Arena Combat Medic for Gladiatorial Games - Manage injuries and emergencies in a high-intensity combat arena setting. 

• Expeditionary Combat Healer for Artifact Recovery - Engage in protection and healing during aggressive artifact retrieval missions. 

•  Tactical Healer in Urban Warfare Drills - Participate in simulated urban combat scenarios as a medical responder. 

• Quick Reaction Force Medic for Outpost Defense - Provide immediate combat support and medical aid during outpost attacks. 

• Bounty Hunter Aid for Dangerous Fugitive Apprehension - Assist in capturing high-risk fugitives with both combat and healing support.

That was... quite a lot. Alina was overwhelmed by the job request. All required her to travel to some place, probably attack something while healing something, and she didn't know how hard the task was going to be. Hopefully, not the kind of hunting that Ilya did. 

She then glanced over at the one-day political summit. She felt it was both the shortest and the easiest job in comparison to the rest of the assignment.

Logically speaking, the job should also be the least combat-oriented, after all, how many attempts had been made on politicians that were not thwarted by its security details? She wouldn't be alone, which was already a plus in her book.

She then accepted the job. A new GPS waypoint appeared on her Google map. The pay for the job was at 3,000 Leas, further enforcing Alina's point that this would be a breeze. The GPS waypoint was not that far either, only 30 kilometers south of here. There was a time limit for her to arrive at the destination, which was four hours.

I probably need to rent a car for this one.

She then continued walking around the town to find a car rental. Eventually, she found one, with rows of cars in a parking lot ready to be rented. The vehicles parked were a multitude of many different kinds, from a small sedan to a large pickup truck. Near one of the Ford F-150s, a staff was waiting for a customer. 

This time, the staff was a female catkin, with light brown ears and a long tail that was twitching around by the time Alina approached her even closer. Was this really a regular phenomenon? A cat waving its tail around to a customer?

"How may I help you, ma'am?" the staff asked. 

"I'm looking for a car, probably something that can take a bit of off-roading," Alina added. 

"Is this for a short trip?" 

"I'll only rent for a day," Alina added. 

"Sure thing," the staff member replied, walking around the parking lot while Alina followed her from behind. "Let's see what we have... Ah, I'd recommend our SUVs for rough terrain. They're perfect for the local roads and quite fuel-efficient. Besides, you are not planning a long expedition, aren't you?"

"Yeah, just a 30-kilometer trip," Alina added. 

"Right... So, I can recommend our 4Runner, you can't go wrong with Toyota. Maybe I can also suggest the Nissan Terra or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. Still, we have F-150s, Tundras, and so on," the staff explained, looking at the arrangement of cars available. 

What was surprising was that there were more adventurers than she expected before. Not only that, but looking at a far corner, she also saw multiple military vehicles such as JLTVs, BMPs, BTRs, and so on. Heck, there was even a tank. 

"You also have a tank?" Alina asked. 

"Yes ma'am, a surplus from the North American Federation stockpile," she said. 

"Christ, what kind of enemy do you face?" 

"Well, it's good for assaulting a tribal village, if you want to. It's also good for low-intensity war against a minor faction," the staff further explained. 

"How much for the 4Runner?" 

"For one day, including insurance, it’ll be about 50 Leas. We hold a 100 Leas deposit, returned to you once the car is back in good shape."

Alina agreed to the terms, completing the transaction on a digital pad he slid across the tablet which the staff held. "You're all set! Here are your keys," she said, handing her a key fob with a bright keychain labeled with the rental's logo. "Your car is parked in slot number 14. Black SUV. You can't miss it."

"Thank you," Alina said, taking the keys. She turned to leave, then paused and looked back. "Any tips for local driving?"

"Just keep an eye out for the sudden turns and watch for wildlife on the roads. Other than that, you should be good to go. Drive safe!" she added with a genuine smile.

Alina headed to the black SUV, the model didn't change that much from what she remembered. It was still a cuboid SUV with a large off-road tire alongside a reinforced bumper in front of it. Alina entered the driver's seat and started the engine. 

It was quiet. There was no fuel indicator, but instead, a battery indicator on the dashboard. She thought to himself that technology had reached this far, to the point that even an off-road SUV had an electric motor. 

Alina then inputted the coordinate on the map on the dashboard, she then discovered the town location to be called Grassland. It seemed to be located in a far more urbanized part in comparison to the surrounding area. She then drove away from the parking lot, on the way to Grassland. 

*30 Minutes Later*

Alina had been driving smoothly through the varied landscape, the road transitioning from the cobbled streets of Rivercircle to gravel paths framed by expansive fields and occasional patches of dense forest. The 4Runner handled the terrain effortlessly, its suspension absorbing the bumps and dips of the less-maintained rural roads.

As she neared Grassland, the environment began to change. The rural scenery gave way to more structured and urban developments. Small houses clustered closer together, and the number of vehicles on the road increased. Grassland appeared to be a bustling hub, a stark contrast to the quieter, more rustic Rivercircle.

The road gradually changed to that of an asphalt road. There were no high-rise buildings in that town, but the amount of vehicles and small houses was very reminiscent of some of the small towns in the states. 

As she drove, she couldn't help but notice several things. There were floating cars, flying shuttles, and... spaceport. Among them, there were also dragons flying alongside wyverns or other creatures in the town. 

At the center of the town, there seemed to be a structure that connected to the space, perhaps, a space elevator. Alina couldn't be too sure about it. The eight lines of cables were stretching up high, all the way to the clouds. 

Her destination was on the outskirts of the town. She then drove her car to the destination. Not six minutes later, she then arrived at the destination, a government office located on the outskirts of the town. 

The building Alina arrived at was a modern structure of glass and steel, reflecting the light from the streets with a shimmering glow. It was medium-sized, two stories high, with a flat roof and geometric lines that gave it a sleek, contemporary appearance. 

The facade was dominated by large, tinted windows interspersed with panels of polished metal, creating a façade that blended functionality with aesthetic appeal. The entrance was marked by a broad set of glass doors, framed by a couple of robust columns that seemed to anchor the building in its landscaped surroundings. 

A small, well-maintained garden path led to the front doors, adding a touch of greenery to the otherwise minimalist design. In front of the building was a flag pole with a flag that consisted of mostly black with six white stars in the middle of it. A consulate, perhaps, if not a straight-up embassy. 

In front of the gate was a soldier guarding it, wearing a bulky sci-fi style power armor with bulky platings covering most of its body. The soldier then approached Alina's car as she stopped by. There was nothing human about that soldier, with his robotic voice and his lack of face. 

"Good morning, with whom am I speaking?" The soldier asked with a straight tone. 

"I'm Alina Lisbell." 

"We're expecting you, Ms. Lisbell. Just go straight and park at the parking lot," the soldier said as the gate automatically opened. "Welcome to the Valkyria embassy, ma'am." 

Alina drove her car to the parking lot located right in front of the lobby. She exited her car and then walked inside, heading right to the lobby. Inside, a large table greeted her, alongside with four women in crisp military uniforms. 

What is this place? Why is it so... militarized? 

For an embassy, the whole place looked too similar to an active military base, with cameras equipped with heavy machine gun turrets watching her every movement. It was rather... scary, to say the least. 

"I'm Alina Lisbell," she said. 

"Your meeting with Major Mischa is at this lobby, please wait at the chair," the receptionist said, pointing right at the chair. 

"Much obliged." 

Alina took a seat in the designated chair, her eyes scanning the lobby, noting its stark, efficient design and the subtle hum of activity around her. The building's interior matched its exterior: modern, functional, and disturbingly intimidating with its military presence. 

She didn't have to wait long. A few minutes later, a woman approached her. She was tall, with sharp features and dark hair pulled back into a severe bun. Her uniform was immaculate, adorned with badges that hinted at numerous commendations. 

Another elf. Is human that rare? 

"Ms. Lisbell, I'm Major Mischa. Thank you for arriving promptly," she greeted Alina with a firm handshake. Her grip was strong, her gaze assessing. "I appreciate your willingness to assist us on such short notice."

"It's my pleasure, Major. I understand there's a need for medical support at this summit?" Alina responded, getting straight to the point.

"More like a need for a combat medic, Alina. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, your job description is for extraction of a certain diplomat stuck in a hostile druid village in Sundown forest. We've requested military action from NAF, but it will take too long for them to approve our military action, which means, contractors/adventurers come into play." 

"So, I'm here to do your dirty work," Alina added. 

The major only smirked, "No. Why would we put a job listing in Nexawork if that was the case?" 

"Fine, I'm in." 

"Great. Let's go to the assault plan then."

The major then stood up from her chair, asking Alina to follow her. As Major Mischa led Alina to a more secluded part of the lobby, they were joined by three individuals dressed in combat gear. One was an elf carrying a compound bow on her back, one was an ogre carrying a large broadsword on his back, alongside a demon with two sabers on his hip. None of them were wearing tactical gear, heck, they looked more of an adventurer than Alina. 

The elf was clad in a form-fitting leather armor tinted in forest greens, designed to blend into woodland surroundings. She carried a sophisticated compound bow on her back, with a quiver full of finely fletched arrows, ready for silent and precise shots. 

The demon sported dark, lightweight armor that allowed for quick movements. Dual sabers hung at his hips, their handles intricately decorated, hinting at his skill in close combat. Then, there was the ogre, wearing no armor, but a white tank top. 

"Alina, these are your teammates for the mission," Major Mischa introduced them. "This is Rusty, Lin, and Artyom. They're some of our best, and they'll be accompanying you as your security detail, masquerading as adventurers."

"Pleasure to meet you, Alina, I'm Rusty, the elf is Lin, and the demon is Artyom," the ogre greeted. 

"Same here, what's the plan?" Alina asked. 

"Simple, we go in, boom boom boom, retrieve our diplomat, then whoosh away," the elf joked, making a gesture of firing her bow.

"Ish, Major, here's what you requested," the demon then gave the tablet that he pulled out of nowhere, probably from an inventory similar to that of Alina. He then displayed a map on the tablet of the hostile druid compound. 

"The diplomat is believed to be held in the central compound of the village," Major Mischa pointed to a structure marked on the map. "Our intelligence suggests the villagers are heavily armed, and they won’t hesitate to use force to protect their territory."

"Just like any hostile we encountered, right?" Lin added. 

"Try not to burn down the forest like last time, can you, Lin?" Artyom said. 

Alina, absorbing the details, only had one, "What’s the extraction protocol once we have the diplomat?"

"We'll have a vehicle on standby here," Major Mischa indicated a secondary map point. "Once you signal successful extraction, the vehicle will move in to extract you and the diplomat to this safe house," she pointed to another marked location further away from the village.

"Understood," Alina nodded, feeling the weight of the responsibility. It was a straightforward plan, the best plan of them all. 

"Alright, if there are no further questions, gear up. We leave in two hours," Major Mischa concluded the briefing.

 

17