17 – Seeking a Teacher
159 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July stepped into the familiar bathroom area and dusted the sand off her clothing. Then she put her clothes aside and took a long shower. The warm water washed all the sand from her that stuck everywhere and anywhere. Observing her new shawl, lifting it up, she decided to keep it, folded it, and placed it on her desk. She changed into comfortable clothes and walked downstairs to her mother.

Dinner was peaceful; she could lie down peacefully once she was finished for the first time in forever. Staring at the ceiling, though, she couldn't fall asleep. Her thoughts ran around as she thought about Gin and the Dungeon. How many intelligent beings lived in dungeons and how many cities like Chir were probably utterly unknown to humans. Her mind flashed back to the snow-covered landscape. Then the memory was gone. Touching her head, she wondered where that came from. 

She rose, took the notebook the doctor gave her, and started writing down what happened. Chir, the other things, and lastly the few words Iceland, snow, red, and all that after the dark? The woman, Dr. Grey, had been right; it helped sort her memories a lot. The confusion cleared up a lot. 

To have it all contained and written down. The night passed with her spending the night writing until the sun was up again. She looked outside, and there was a small forest, and the sounds of the countryside were filtering in. She put the book down; it was time to stop, got out of bed, and walked downstairs for breakfast. She hugged her mother as a greeting; maybe she could get her something from the Markets; she had seen a lot of small jewelry standing there. 

Her father merely stared at her; she also stared at him. Then, they shared an awkward hug before eating breakfast in silence. Her father decided to drive to work, and she left with her mother. 

"Where are you going today? Will you be gone the entire time?" her mother asked once her father had driven away. She hesitated a moment and then looked at her mother. 

"The same place where I was Yesterday. The entire day." She answered and then paused a moment. It was her mother, no...she could tell her. Although it was a dungeon, she hesitated before asking, "Do you want to come with me?" 

Her mother looked at her, surprised. "Are you sure? Can I?" she asked, and after a brief moment of hesitation, July nodded. 

"Yes." 

"Is there anything I need?" 

"Sunscreen... and a hat, it will be hot," July told her. She walked upstairs to get something that covered more skin than her shirt, wrapped the scarf over her head, and put on the mask she had gotten used to. 

Her mother waited downstairs for her. She was wearing airy clothing, sunscreen on her skin, and a large straw hat. 

"Wear robust shoes," July told her, pointing at the open sandals. "Something that covers up more. There is sand." 

Her mom vanished again and returned in a similar outfit to hers. Musing, she touched the headscarf. "I cannot remember having bought that. I should remember something that pretty." 

"It is new." She told her, held out her hand, and focused on Chir. 

Do you wish to use World Wanderer to go to the C Rank Dungeon of Chir, City of Chir? 

Yes/No

Yes

A Gate appeared in front of them, and her mother gasped, gripping her hand like a vice. "Don't be afraid," July thought about it a moment. "Not all dungeons are dangerous...or are quite the same. They are worlds." 

She took her mother's hand, and together, they walked through the gate. Emerging on the other side, her mother gasped audibly. Bright-eyed, she stared at their surroundings. "This?" 

"This is Chir," July told her. "It is a city inside a dungeon. Come, we are going to the Arena." 

"The Arena?" 

"A place where people fight and can try out their combat skills," she told her mother, taking her hand; together, they made their way through the streets to the Arena. When she entered the door with her mother, all the people around them took a huge step back, giving way for her as she walked the stairs upwards. "It feels like you are a celebrity here," her mother whispered, still pressed close to her. 

"I came here yesterday for the first time." She would her mother and, on the upper floor, walk to the same table where she had seen Gin sitting the day before. He stood up and took off his face covering. "July, my lovely friend. How are you?" 

"I am well, Gin. Let me introduce you. This is my Mother, Mary. Mother, this is someone I met Yesterday; he helped me out. Gin." 

Gin looked at her mother and then bowed down, taking her hand and kissing it like a gentleman. "It is my great honor to meet you, Madame." He said with the same smooth silkiness he had spoken to with her the day earlier. But unlike then, it was not flirtingly but rather with respect in his voice. "You have great courage." 

"Oh, that is very nice of you to say. I am not all that courageous, but I trust my daughter. Mr. Gin." 

"Only Gin, please." 

"Alright. Gin." Her mother wore a genuine smile on her face as she took the seat offered and watched with rapture the people who dueled. July, on the contrary, observed Gin. Her instinct told her he was strong, not by skills but by the ability to use them. She had seen it in the Arena, too; he knew how to fight. Better than probably most. He noticed her interest and grinned, showing off his fangs. "what makes you look at me with such interest. Are my spectacular looks starting to work?" 

She suddenly felt the urge to do something but held back. "No." She answered and then gazed at him again. "I wanted to ask you something else, though." 

"Mhh?" 

Her instincts, or rather, her passive skill as an ultimate survivor, did not help her in these situations. She had to count on her luck. "Can you teach me?" 

He raised an intrigued eyebrow. "Teach you what? The pleasures of having a man? The use of a spear? To be good at making money? I am a master of many things." 

"Fight," she answered him. "How to fight properly, not just by using strength." 

He stilled. "I can, but not for free."

"What do you want." 

He showed his teeth, the entire playfulness from earlier gone. "A dragon's heart. That is what I truly desire, nothing less, nothing more—the heart of a dragon." 

 

6