23 – Shimabara Branch
120 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She took her mother's hand, and they walked through the blue nothingness, stepping into an alley. A few trash bags were lying there; lighting danced over the sky above them, and it was pouring. They were utterly soaked only seconds later. Her mother opened her hand and sighed. "At least it's not acid rain." 

She said, and July blinked, piecing the words together until she knew what it was about.

 
"Luckily," she answered and turned towards the alley's exit, closing the Gate behind her. They continued through the streets until they found the small plane indicated on the map. A wooden door announced.

"Closed." written on it with red paint. Her mother pushed her hand against the door, and it swang open.
"Can't you read?!" Someone thundered grumpily from inside.

 
An old man sat behind a counter. His feet were on the table, unkept, and with thick glasses on his nose. A old-fashioned newspaper was in his hands as he folded a corner to look at them. "Well, probably not. Europeans." He said and huffed. "Just so you know, Tourists, I don't like people in my store, and this is not a place to seek shelter from the rain. You should have brought an umbrella it's raining season. Don't you know that?"

"We are here for business." Her mother said, and she removed the wet hair from her face, glaring at the man. "Mr. Shimabara." her voice was cold, and the man behind the counter growled before everything around them suddenly changed. The site's interior became that of a traditional building, not a run-down little building on a corner. The clerk put down his newspaper, and the inept man was gone. Instead, an elderly man with keen eyes stood there, well-groomed and dressed in a suit.

 
Like a banker.
"Welcome then. You are?" He asked, his tone and voice completely different from before.

 
"We are Wanderers," her mother said. "We wish to deposit this." She held up her sopping bag, her voice sweet as candy.

 
The clerk, Mr. Shimabara, didn't even blink at the unusual package and took it from her. Emptying the money on the counter. He started counting and put them inside the bag before nodding it off. "I'd need a hunter ID." He said with a smile. "To verify."

 
July took out her ID and showed it to him. He skimmed it and then nodded again. "Good, this is perfect; the money will be in your labyrinth account within the next few hours. The first half has already been transferred, so you should be safe."

 
"Perfect." Her mother said, and July put the ID back into her pocket.

 
"No problem. The Labyrinth Connection is always happy to be of service to our customers. Is there any further issue I can help you with?" He asked, and her mother looked up at her. July shook her head. There was nothing she could think of right now.

 
"No, there is nothing. Can I have the bag back?" she pointed at the shopping bag.

 "It's one of my favorites."

 
"Of course. Just a second, please." he bowed and picked up another bag. This one had a lot of anime girls printed on it. He put the gold coins inside the anime bag and folded their shopping bag before handing it to them. "There is an umbrella at the entrance. Feel free to use it on your way home." 

He said a picture of professionalism if it wasn't for the anime bag on his counter. They said goodbyes, took the umbrella and walked back into the alley. July opened her Gate, and later, they were back in their living room. Her mother closed the umbrella. 

"This is a good one, and we should keep it." She said, and July looked up and down at it. "I'd prefer to throw it into a dungeon." She answered her. "I have a bad feeling about the umbrella."

 
"Oh, you do. We probably should; what a pity." Her mother handed it to her and then went on her tiptoes to kiss her cheek. "Take good care, will you, and don't hang around that scoundrel Gin. He is no good wanting to put you in danger."

 
"Don't worry, I watch out for myself." She told her mother, opened another gate, and waved goodbye to her, stepping on the dusty desert sand of Chir.

2