Arc 1 – Chapter 2: That Which Lies in the Dark
6.7k 17 122
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It actually took me a while to find the spring. Who would’ve thought that my nose was so sensitive, I could smell the spring a mile away?

 

After what felt like a day or more, I finally found a clear glowing spring.

 

…Rather than a spring…this is more like a lake. A freaking lake!

 

What’s more…it’s actually glowing! Like glow worms, only brighter as if there was a bright bluish-green sun at the bottom of it.

 

…Right.

 

*splash*

 

It didn’t even take me 3 seconds until I dunked my head in the water while taking several large gulps.

 

“Aaaah…”

 

That felt great. The water’s really good – nice and cold. Must be one of those hidden springs or something.

 

Now that I got a good drink, I think it’s finally time to get rid of the suspense and give myself a good long look.

 

As I waited for the water to finally calm, I took a look at myself. What I saw really shocked me. I already knew of course, but seeing it for myself is way different from imagining it.

 

I had the head of a dragon! To be more precise, what I saw reminded me of that monster from that kids show where they’re paired up with children.

  

No…not the one where they stuff the poor critters into tiny balls. The other one, where they could talk and go into the TV or any digital device(*).

 

To be more exact, I look more like that blue one from the second set of kids from the series(**). My body looked like that of a child’s only with claws on my hands and feet. I had two 4-inch horns sprouting at the back of my head, and a tiny horn at the end of my short snout. Instead of blue like the monster from the show, I was colored more like bronze and covered in tiny but hard scales.

 

As I was staring at myself, I had a sudden thought.

 

I looked behind me and there it was, a tail! A little stubby tail was dangling behind me, just above my butt.

 

In my excitement, I tried moving my tail, but it was really awkward since I didn’t know how to describe the sensation. I guess it’s like having an extra arm? Or rather, leg?

 

After several hours of practice, I finally got the hang of it. Surprisingly, it was stronger than I expected, and could lift my whole body with it. It kinda feels like doing one-hand push-ups while sitting…yeah…it’s hard to describe.

 

*grrrr*

 

…Before I realized it, it turns out I became hungry.

 

Hmm…other than my eggshell…I’m honestly not sure what else I can eat. I mean…I actually haven’t encountered any other creature since I’ve been moving around towards the lake.

 

I noticed some glowing mushrooms growing on a rock, and I’m honestly not sure if that’s safe to eat…

 

Most probably not…I took a bite anyway.

 

What followed after? Rainbows and unicorns of course! Or was that what you were expecting? Sadly, no…

 

I ended up retching my insides…BITTER AS HELL!

 

Next thing I knew, I was scraping my tongue with a rock. One word to describe the mushroom…D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G!!

 

Sigh…now what?

 

Despite my depression, I couldn’t help but notice something move under some rocks.

 

Surprise then caution rang through my body. Should I risk it? I took a look at my claws and remember that I was able to scrape rocks like a rake in the soil.

 

Determined, I decided to duck down then lifted up the rock…and then it shot out!

 

I felt something grab on to my little horn and I couldn’t help pulling back while letting out a gasp of air.

 

Only…the air I let out wasn’t just air at all. I spat out a fireball!

 

I ended up roasting the bugger, and after taking a good look at it, I discovered it was crab!

 

…or maybe a lobster? Kinda like both only the rock wasn’t a rock, but actually it’s shell, so it’s a hermit crab!

 

…what are hermit crabs doing in a cave? Sure, it’s a lake but…no, never mind. I forgot Earth logic doesn’t always work in fantasy worlds. Not to mention the crab was the size of two footballs, so it was hella huge!

 

More importantly, I found my first meal! A delicious smell was coming off the roasted crab, so I decided to split it open and devour it to my heart’s content.

 

After ripping its shell apart...I took a bite….DELICIOUS!

 

Definitely heaven and earth when compared to that stinking mushroom. I happily engorged myself in roasted crab guts, and after the first crab I decided to look for more. Finally! It seems things are starting to look up for me!

 

 

 

 

Back in the far reaches of the cavern, the creature finally arrived where it first sensed its prey.

 

All it could see were bits of broken shells and some clawed out rocks.

 

A large…long…and seemingly sharp looking shadow hovered over the smattering of shells then pulled them closer to the creature. It devoured it greedily as if this act would serve to let it understand its prey better.

 

It looked towards a certain direction…with dead-like eyes filled with cold and ruthless certainty.

 

Soon…it would find its prey.

122