Arc 1 – Chapter 9: True Fight
3.9k 10 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the dark reaches of the cavern wherein lies the remains of what was once the kingdom of Ellara, things hardly stirred… but in the recent years, signs across the ruined city showed that somehow life has thrived within it.

 

Some roads were cleared of debris while some buildings were repaired. Patches of green can be seen here and there. Flowerbeds seem to exist in odd places. Ponds, tanks, and jars filled with different creatures of the lake can be seen within some buildings. A blacksmith’s forge can be found alight with flame along with an alchemist’s workshop brimming with smells of different concoctions.

 

Rather than a ruined city of decay, it was akin more to a city abandoned to nature.

 

That’s right… the ruined city of Ellara… has truly become Camus’ home…

 

And on this day… his shadow can be seen moving swiftly along the city’s rooftops… evident joy on his expression…

 

“Ha… Ha... After many years… I finally found it. An ore I can use to finally complete it!”

 

During the years I’ve been living here, I’ve learned many things from the old man. Other than teaching me how to fight, I’ve also learned quite a bit about smithing and alchemy. Apparently, his hobbies weren’t limited to horticulture, as he learned many things since his time of undeath. After all, he didn’t start corrupted… Turns out the corruption only occurs when a powerful undead’s mind starts to decay from centuries of stagnation…

 

As a way to spend his time and to prevent the kingdom’s knowledge from being lost, he learned many things from the books of the royal library and tried to put some of the knowledge into practice. Combining my knowledge from Earth and what I’ve learned from him, I’ve managed to make some interesting things thanks to the convenience of magic.

 

 And right now, one of those projects is about to be finished.

 

 

“Hahaha! I seriously hope I’m not dreaming! With this ore, not only will it allow me to finish it, but now I’ll also be able to utilize the ideas I’ve shelved! [Status]!”

 

Name

                       Agronite Ore

 Effects

- highly volatile ore. Even small fragments may explode when exposed to high heat or strong shock

 

Yup yup, there’s no mistake. It’s the explosive component I’ve been looking for. Also, I bet you’re curious about the new magic I just used.

 

I learned from the old man that magic isn’t definite in this world. This means that as long as one can imagine the effect, the magic can be brought forth as long as the mana is sufficient. The amount of mana required varies depending on how complex the effect is as well as how well you can visualize the magic.

 

In other words, all magic is dependent on one’s imagination and knowledge of the elements. The more mana one has, the more complex magic one can perform. Also, although unnecessary, an aria or trigger statement can be voiced in order to help visualize the effect of the magic.

 

I learned about [Status] from the old man since the magic was based on his desire to learn his opponents’ abilities when in combat. His trigger was actually something like [In my name, grant me the vision to know my enemies] but there’s no way in hell I’m gonna go with something cringey like that. Since I can pretty much understand the general effect, I shortened it to [Status]. He said I shouldn’t change the trigger because of some BS calling it man’s romance, but who the hell cares…

 

I arrive at my workshop and started working on the ore immediately. After a few hours, I finally completed it.

 

“Phew… that took longer than I expected… but it’s finally done.”

 

As I was admiring the finished product, I heard footsteps and looked to the door.

 

“Ah, Camus my boy. I knew you’d be here. Seeing your expression… did you finally complete that magical artifact you mentioned?”

 

With a proud smile, I showed to him the first magical tool I’ve created with my old memories.

 

“What an odd shape… I won’t ask what it’s for, but I can tell with your expression that you are quite pleased, and that is enough for me… If you have time, is it alright if you’d walk with me for a bit?”

 

Sensing his sudden change into a serious tone, I decided to agree to his request.

 

“What is it Pops? Did something happen?”

 

Probably seeing my anxiousness, he smiled and shook his head.

 

“No, it’s nothing you should worry about… at least not yet. Come… I’ll tell you as we move along.”

 

It didn’t completely relieve me of my worry, but knowing nothing will change if I don’t hear it out, I stored the magic tool and hurried along beside him.

 

“After the many years I’ve trained you, I cannot tell you enough of how proud I am of your progress. Seeing you grow, it puts a smile on my face. However, despite understanding your strengths, I can also see your worrisome points… Camus, tell me, if you understand yourself then do you know what it is that you truly lack?”

 

I closed my eyes deep in thought of his question and answered him as I slowly opened them.

 

“… It’s experience.”

 

“Hm hm. Very good… that is correct. You lack the most vital component in realizing the limits of your strength, experience. Without experience, you cannot truly know the degree of what you’re capable of, and you cannot truly say that you are strong. Without it, you are but a puppet that only knows how to move in the way you are taught.”

 

 He suddenly stopped, and I realized that we were actually in the middle of the training grounds.

 

“Camus… I’ve taught you all that I know about combat, magic, and life. Although your magic could still use some work, there is not much more I can teach. The last thing I can give you is experience in combat. So Camus… do you have what it takes to face me here and now?”

 

The thing about my magic is that there’s so much I can imagine that the magic tends to fizzle out before I decide on what effect to use. You can’t blame me for that! …Cough… anyways… I understand that this situation is the mandatory part in any coming of age template where Pops gives me his final lesson. Sigh… I really didn’t want to fight him so soon, so I’ve been avoiding him for some time… but I suppose I’ve delayed this day long enough…

 

It’s not that I’m not confident in beating him. In fact, I outgrew his skills 2 years ago when I mastered full control of my body. That’s right… the sharpness of my claws… the hardness of my scales… and even the sensitivity of my five senses… all can be controlled by me to a certain degree.

 

I bet you’re wondering what I currently look like after 7 years. Well then… First of all, I’m really tall. As in 195 cm tall. That’s close to 2 meters! Pops was only huge before when he was under corruption, so he actually shrunk back to 180 cm when I freed him.

 

As for my body, I’m actually slightly larger than Pops when he was corrupted. If you’d like an accurate image, then I guess the build is pretty close to that famous barbarian from that movie portrayed by that American – or was it Austrian? – actor with a bizarre name. With large arms and wide shoulders, I’m a freaking stud! Or I would be if it weren’t for the large flat scales on my chest and abdomen covering most of the muscle lines. But still… Dream body shape, check!

 

My tail grew out pretty long with the base as large as a full-grown python. The full length is about 4 meters, which is more than twice my height! I tend to shrink the length so it wouldn’t be inconvenient. Sort of like a hidden weapon.

 

The best part… I can grow wings! That’s right, I… have… WINGS! There are spikes at the ends and my whole wingspan exceeds 4 meters. I can fold and hide them when flattened on my back as long as I shrink them. I haven’t really tried them out yet since the cavern ceiling is still too low for me to fully enjoy it, but I have been gliding around for fun every now and then.

 

My head? Well… I honestly wouldn’t know if I’m what people would consider… handsome. After all, I’m not really familiar with dragon aesthetics thanks to my lack of inherited memory. Physically, my snout is a foot long and quite angular almost like an arrow. My neck isn't very long but it does tend to make my head stand out. My horns, curving like a stretched out “S”, can grow up to 2.5 feet pointing up at a 45-degree angle. My nose horn is only at half a foot curving back, and fin-like scutes grew out at the side of my head where my ears should be.

 

If anything… I’m pretty much a standard western style dragon. Also, Pops said I have a healthy shade of light blue eyes that take after him so I’m not sure how I’m supposed to take that.

 

All this took a while to describe, but not even a minute has passed when Pops asked me whether I’m ready.

 

I walked off to the side and chose a greatsword from among the weapons. I pointed it towards him and tried to show him the most confident smile I could.

 

“…Are you sure you want to use that weapon?”

 

“ Yes… after all, how can I say I’m stronger than you if I don’t beat you with your best weapon?”

 

He smiled wryly as he shook his head.

 

“Haha… Looks like you’ve grown quite the pair over the years, my boy. You better not regret it.”

 

“Of course not. After all, this is to show that you’ve trained me so well that I can top even your best.”

 

Our expressions showed that further words were no longer needed. I took off my regular clothes and donned my armor. I wore a leather war kilt with vambraces and shin guards. On my left shoulder was a shoulder guard connected by straps shaped like a “Y’ with a heart guard in the center. My scales already serve as the best protection so I wore only minimal armor for decency and to show respect for the battle.

 

As we ready our positions, we stare at each other as if to size each other up. No matter how many times I see it, I’m always impressed over my old man’s stats and in awe of the fact I survived that time I fought with him. As to confirm this, I muttered [Status] in my mind.

 

 

Name

Gaius Helmight

Species

Undead

Race

Death Knight (Unique)

Class Type

Boss

Threat Level

S

Stats

All S+

 

Description

* Former Royal Guard Captain and Last Guard of the Lost Kingdom of Ellara. Was freed from the Decaying Corruption that comes from undeath and has become a unique Death Knight able to wield all his previous skills including magic. Has also managed to improve stats which is normally impossible for undead.

(Unique – deviates from the norm of their race and possesses unique traits)

 

Since I had a great dislike for math in my previous life, Origin of Words made it convenient for me by utilizing a grade system for determining stats. Yeah… I’m not proud… but I’m just no good with numbers…

 

Tension was high, and as if to show how thick it was, the space around us seemed to shudder. Some bits of rubble fell to the ground and with that as the trigger, we clashed.

 

The earth caved in as I made my dash, acting first knowing my old man will never make the first move.

 

Our swords and wills clash, and while I have the upper hand in strength, he has the advantage in skill and experience.

 

With a heavy blow, I knocked him backwards several feet, but he never broke from his stance and with the distance started unleashing sword waves.

 

I dodged left and right, but knowing it won’t stop soon I circled him in one direction while moving closer. But predicting my move, he unleashed a sword wave ahead of my path. Knowing I can’t block it in time, I crossed my arms over my body and tanked the blow. It was heavier than I expected and was flung towards the wall.

 

 *bang*

 

With a bang, I was smashed onto the wall erupting in a cloud of dust and dirt. But while the blow was heavy enough to knock me flying, it wasn’t enough to cause serious harm. Hidden in the dust cloud, I threw my greatsword at him like a spear.

 

Surprised at the action, he swung his sword from below striking the flat end of my sword to slow the momentum. It flew up, but I already dashed when I threw my sword, so when I got close enough my tail shot out and grabbed him from the side while he was still guarding the front.

 

I spun like a top and threw him at the wall while catching my sword as it dropped. I once again ran to strike him down, but despite being clouded by dust from being thrown at the wall he was still able to guard against my blow. We clashed as a storm of blades once more.

 

I honestly don’t believe in the saying that true masters can end their fights in a matter of a few moves. If you were a true master, then how could you let your opponent who’s at your level beat you in a few moves? I believe a fight between real experts would incorporate all the skills and experience they’ve accumulated and with each step they try to force each other into an opening in order for their attacks to connect.

 

Such is the situation now. What I may lack in experience, I make up for with the knowledge I have in my previous life. While I didn’t have a martial art with weapons that I actually trained in, I had a basic concept of the actions and fights I’ve seen back then. Although it obviously can’t compare to actual experience, I at least had imagination that gave form to an unorthodox way of fighting.

 

Since the beginning of the fight we’ve been disrupting each other’s magic and kept it to pure physical combat, but given my strange moves as if juggling my sword and lashing out at him with my tail and wings every now and then, he finally gave a small opening which allowed me to form a simple spell.

 

A small lump of earth the size of a fist formed where his next step would be. Stepping on it broke his stance ever so slightly, but it was enough. With it, I grabbed his overextended sword arm while flipping him in the air with my tail from under in a sort of exaggerated pseudo judo throw. After several flips he landed on his back. While he was grunting from the blow, my sword was already pointing at his face.

 

“… Ha ha ha… Well done. You have truly become stronger than I have expected in these years I’ve trained you.”

 

With a smile on his face, I helped him to his feet.

 

“What can I say Pops. I was trained by the best.”

 

“Haha… that’s true. While we’re at it, isn’t it about time you started calling me daddy?”

 

That was very abrupt and it put a sour expression on my face. In the recent years he’s been weird like that every now and then.

 

“…Come on Pops… Didn’t we already compromise with this? It’s just so weird considering I’m practically a man now.”

 

“Hmph. Well you did beat me with my best weapon despite still only being 7 years old. Sigh… they grow up far too quickly… “

 

I can’t help but feel sometimes that he’s somehow growing senile in an odd direction. Could it be the corruption again?

 

“… Camus. Now that you’ve surpassed me, I can now tell you about the dark past of this kingdom as well as that which you’ve been yearning for the longest time… the way out of these caverns.”

 

My ears perked up as he said this and I nodded for him to continue.

 

“There is but one way out of the Dread Caverns… and that is through its nest. That’s right… for your freedom, we need to slay Nabolros, the Fallen King.”

 

I’m not sure what else to think about other than “I expected as much…” Sigh… with my luck… go figure…

 

“Nabolros wasn’t always a monster. In fact, he’s actually tied to this kingdom. What I’ll tell you is the dark history of our kingdom and with it the means to beat him.”

 

I sat in anticipation, as I’ll finally receive answers to some of the lingering questions I’ve had after all these years.

 

Looks like I’ll finally be able to pay you back you freak of hell. Soon… it’ll be my turn to send you running…

86