Arc 2 – Prologue: The First Step
3.5k 20 83
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKIIIING HEEEEEEELLLL!!"

 

That's the first thing I yelled out as I "stepped" out into the new world...

 

I bet you're wondering why I'm currently cursing my lungs out. Well, simply put, I'm currently in a situation that I have no control of.

 

... Ok. Let me be frank... I'm currently falling... falling from thousands of feet high up in the air along with a shitstorm of rocks and debris...

 

Now, as to how I ended up in such a situation, let me go back in time for a bit, around maybe 2-3 days ago as I was getting ready to set off on my journey.

 

 

 

After a day of mourning, I finally set off to collect all the materials, ingredients, and tools left around the city and in my workshop.

 

Thanks to dad’s ring, I’m now able to carry as much supplies, as I want. How it works is that if there’s an item I need within the ring, all I need to do is think about it along with the quantity then it’ll appear either on my hand or the area where my palm is facing. To put an item into the ring, I simply need to touch the object with my palm. It also needs to be an object of matching volume in accordance to the capacity of the ring.

 

Speaking of the capacity, after testing out the ring, it seems the amount of space available varies depending on the maximum mana of the owner.

 

I tried storing the lake water as much as I can and managed to fill up at least two 50-metre Olympic pool’s worth. Thankfully, the items within the ring can’t affect each other, as they all appear to be in stasis. That means cooked food can last as long as I want. Hooray!

 

I kept two thirds of the lake water and returned the rest. After some past tests, the water turns out to have some great healing properties like a healing spring. I also managed to dig out my furnace and stuff it in the ring as well. With such a convenient item, there’s no way I’m not gonna abuse its abilities to the fullest.

 

I also now realized why the entire city appeared as if it was picked clean of everything when I found it. From the books in the library to the royal treasury in the castle, it seems dad took everything valuable to prevent them from getting stolen or lost.

 

Now that I’ve gotten everything I need, I looked at the city one more time as I remembered these last 7 years.

 

“Dad… Mom… once I’ve fulfilled my dreams, I’ll be sure to come back and show you how great I’ll become. I’ll also make sure to drop by every now and then, and if it’s within my power, I’ll bring back this kingdom you both loved and I’ll be sure to give you both a much more beautiful resting place.”

 

With determination, I set forth into the caverns one more time.

 

 

As I arrived at the path close to the lakeshore, I noticed that Nabolros’ remains are still there.

 

Hmm… if this world is anything like the fantasy stories I know, then his body may have salvageable parts.

 

I put my thoughts into practice and began my carving out his body. Most of his body was damaged from falling into the lake, but I found some carapaces that were still intact as well as some venom glands, but the biggest prize were his two mandibles that were good components for weapons. I doubt the meat is edible though so I left that well alone…

 

After dismantling him, I noticed within the area where I split his head open with World Breaker, there was a purple jewel. I held it in my hands and looked at it closely. As I turned it, I noticed an area with some red fog-like swirling mass with an orange slit in the center within the jewel. Looking at it, it appears to be an eye.

 

Somehow, it feels like I wanted to keep looking at the eye… not caring about anything else… while keeping it within my gaze… for all eternity…

 

*crack*

 

Yeah, that’s what I felt like doing… but nope. I still have my ambitions, and there’s no way some stupid charm from an ominous looking eye is gonna make me think twice.

 

I punctured it with the claw from my thumb and a small crack appeared on the "eye".

 

*hsssssss*

 

A sound as if air was leaking from a balloon started coming off from the “eye” and purple mist started streaming from the crack. I’m not worried about poison or anything since not even Nabolros’ venom was able to do anything to me when he drooled it all over me when I was young, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be cautious.

 

The mist tried to transform into some sort of creature but before it could completely manifest, it suddenly showed an expression of agony and simply dispersed.

 

… I have no idea what just happened, but it seems to be finally over… or not.

 

As the mist dispersed, a transparent and kindly looking old man with a crown appeared before me.

 

“Hahaha… Dracovian friend… thank you for freeing my soul at last from that accursed prison. Had you not destroyed the Eye of Zenistra, the body of the Fallen King would have simply reformed with time. And I would have been its prisoner once more.”

 

I’m really stumped. Could this really be who I think it is? Also, it turns out if I hadn’t found that eye and broke it, the Gigapede would have revived again in due time. Talk about lucky.

 

"... Are you... King Nabolros?"

 

He smiled as he looked at me but he soon had a sad expression.

 

“… It is I indeed... I also know of all the wrong I’ve done throughout the years... Although it may sound like an excuse, I truly had no control over my body. Regardless of the reason, I’m truly sorry… for what I did to my old friend, Gaius… and for my wrongs to you and to my entire kingdom…”

 

“ … That’s in the past. But I’d still like to know, what came over you that you thought it was a good idea to destroy your own kingdom along with your enemies? It seems pretty extreme for a last resort, and although I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, I just can’t seem to imagine you as some sort of madman.”

 

I'm still upset, but what's done is done. Since the king himself is here, I might as well ask about the biggest mystery of the past of this place. Who knows, it just might help me in the future.

 

“ Sigh… I truly never wanted to use such a method as well… but the Dark Gods were cunning. They corrupted the magic I intended to use, and usurped the Grand Teleportation Magic we were supposed to cast.

This world is separated from the realm of the gods by a veil created by the Old Gods. This is to prevent beings of similar power to manifest into our world and trample upon it like the Nameless Ones. That’s why they took control of our magic… it is in order to manifest themselves into our world and escape their prison, the Netherworld.”

 

Yeesh. This became heavier than I thought. Wait, if that thing was an eye, then doesn’t that mean they saw me break it? Did I just set myself up to be their target?

 

“Also… I’m afraid to say this my young friend… but possessing the power to shatter the Evil Eyes, the Dark Ones will no longer leave you alone. You’ll need to gather more power if you ever hope to face them and survive their agents that will endlessly pursue you.”

 

I KNEW IIIIIT!! As if reading my thoughts, he just said the one thing I was afraid of!

How the hell do I keep setting myself up to these kinds of bullshit!? As if it wasn’t bad enough, I had to fight psychopede who was a freaking world boss, now I have to deal with the fucking Dark Gods who’ll soon be hot on my tail! I haven’t even gotten out of this stupid cave yet! What terrible evil did I do to deserve this!?

 

“Please be at ease my young friend. Although I am currently a soul, I was still once the King of Ellara. If I did not possess the talents of magic that I currently have, then I would have lost the throne to my brothers and sisters. Before I depart, I shall impart to you two final gifts that will assist you.”

 

Oho! Looks like my luck isn’t completely bad.

 

“First, the brand of the Dragon King. Only the Kings of Ellara or the Chief of the Dracovians can gift this soul brand. Once branded onto your soul, you will be able to locate the hidden temples of the Dragon Gods across the world. Once you find them, they’ll help you regain your true power.”

 

Alright! I knew life wasn’t being a complete dick! If this can help me find the Dragon Gods, then I won’t have a problem dealing with the Dark Gods!

 

“My second gift is a quicker means to escape from this place. As my presence fades along with the shield I set up, they’ll soon sense your presence. It would take you months before working your way out of the Dread Cavern’s maze system, so I’ll give you a shortcut.”

 

Holy… looks like this place was bigger than I thought. If I think about it, I was never able to go beyond the nest of the Gigapede, so I never would've imagined I'd have to spend months looking for a way out.

 

“Now, get ready! I don’t have much time as I will soon fade to my eternal rest.”

 

King Nabolros floated closer and suddenly started a long chant. At the end of the chant, his eyes became reptilian-like with slits for pupils and some gold colored energy swirled in his hands.

 

“In the name of the five Dragon Gods, I, King Nabolros Balsung Grimnas Ellara, grant this warrior the brand of the King of Dragons! With this power, prove your worthiness, and all the dragons of this world would be at your command!”

 

It suddenly felt like a fire erupted within as the golden swirls of energy flew into my head. The heat soon settled but the feeling of the energy lingered.

 

“Good. There appears to be no side effects. As I thought, you truly are worthy of the brand.”

 

Huh? Wait, side effects?

 

“Had you not been worthy, the living brand would have torn pieces of your soul apart as it refuses to submit to a weak individual. Haha, knowing you were trained by Gaius, I had no worries of such happenings. Now to begin the evacuation spell.”

 

Oi. Don’t throw that out as just an afterthought!

 

“Remember, once you’re in the air, do not panic since you have wings. Also, make sure you head northwest. Therein lie the Kingdom of Argodia and its capital. There you will find the clues that will lead you to the direction of the Dragon Temples. Only with their help will you find the means to topple the Dark Gods.”

 

Northwest eh? Looks like I’ll finally have my first look of a fantasy Kingdom in another world. But wait, did he just say “in the air”?

 

“The magic is complete. Steady yourself and hold your words lest you bite your tongue. [Stone Coffin]!”

 

Before I could react, the earth suddenly surged all over my body and immediately dried like cement only leaving my face out for air.

 

“Hey, what gives!?”

 

But without answering back, he continued the spell.

 

“[Grand Earth Spire]! Now hold your breath!”

 

I suddenly shot upwards like a spring and somehow smashed through the cavern ceiling. Without slowing down, my stone prison seemed to swim through the earth rising upwards. Going through rubble, it felt like I was in a cocktail shaker. Being a ghost, King Nabolros soon followed.

 

“W-W-What t-t-the h-hell d-did y-you d-do!? Gaaah!”

 

 I bit my tongue…

 

“I warned you my friend. The Dread Caverns is a labyrinth situated within the tallest mountain south of the Plains of Death. As soon as you’re shot out through the top of the mountain, proceed northwest. You’ll know you’re in the right direction as long as you move left of the two great mountains in the distance, the Darkfire Mountains… We have reached the summit! Onward you go!”

 

The stone missile I was encased in shot out of the top of the mountain along with hundreds of rocks and debris, like a mini eruption. It was early dawn as I saw the sun rise from beyond the horizon.

 

As I was flung into the air, I finally broke free of the stone prison but when I started to fall, I cursed to the high heavens.

 

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKIIIING HEEEEEEELLLL!!"

 

I unfolded my wings and tried to get my bearings as I was falling. That damn king… he may not have been a madman but he was most definitely crazy!

 

I looked to the distance and saw the two great mountains he mentioned and decided to use this chance to practice my flying.

 

This is one hell of a rough start, but I’ve now definitely made the first step to my journey as I flew onwards towards the literal dawn of a new day.

 

 

“And there he goes… Haha… Gaius, my old friend, you’ve raised a fine son… But even you could never imagine how great the legacy young Camus holds... soon he must learn of the dangers of this world… the Dark Gods are fearsome indeed… but the ones he should be wary of the most… are those who slipped in from the cracks of the void…”

 

As King Nabolros’ voice lowered… he gradually faded…

 

And soon only the sound of the wind on those peaks can be heard…

83