Arc 3 – Chapter 6: What Lies Behind Closed Doors
1.3k 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In most major towns and cities, one will always find an ‘underworld’ proliferating in the dark corners and recesses of the city’s underbelly. Llorden is no exception to their presence, but very few of these unsavory organizations or ‘Dark Guilds’ as referred to them by the Guilds, could hope to compare to the Order of the Serpent’s Shadow.

A mysterious and ancient Dark Guild specializing in assassinations and murder, no one would question were they to claim they were the first to have started the business in blood trade.

In a two-storey rundown looking building within the commercial district, a cloaked figure slipped into one of the alleyways around it and entered through a trap door hidden by sacks, old crates, and a broken cart.

The figure gradually went down a staircase leading to a dark corridor. Despite the darkness, the figure moved unimpeded and proceeded to enter one of the rooms lining the area.

 

“About time you showed up…”

 

A heavy sounding voice called out to the figure from the opposite end of the room. After lifting one cloth-covered slender arm with the palm facing up, runic symbols alighted in a shade of magenta across the arm with pink tendrils forming a small ball of bluish-white light floating above the palm.

Illuminating the room, it revealed a very large and heavy-set cloaked figure with its gauntleted arms crossed and its back resting against the wall.

 

“So… what do we got this time?”

“… the information we received matches. The guards knew as well so the ‘watchers’ should be on the move soon.” the more slender figure replied in a more feminine voice.

 

“Hm. Sounds like we got a job. So, what will you do next?”

“Continue as ordered… ‘keep watch and don’t lose sight; continue to send regular reports’ is what I was told.”

“… I see. I shall forward your report to the boss then.”

 

The slender figure nodded, but just as she turned and was about to leave…

 

“Oh, and Vai…”

“… yes, Orsul?”

“Don’t be reckless… you are almost free. Don’t throw it all away on a moment’s rashness.”

“…”

 

In her silence, the larger cloaked figure called Orsul chuckled and wished her good luck as he slowly faded when he ‘phased’ through the wall.

After Orsul left, the slender cloaked figure known as Vai pulled down her hood revealing beautiful neck-length black hair with bright purple ends. What were more stunning, however, were her long ears above her head that were even longer and wider than a bunnykin’s.

With her face hidden in shadow after she canceled her light spell, her hands ran along a black ring on her neck that appears to mar her very flesh.

 

“Freedom… Orsul… if only I had your faith…”

 

***

 

A brothel… and one with girls from many species no less… and yet still I couldn’t see any scalefolk or lizard-kind… could this situation be called irony? Or hell? In my case it’s the latter…

After all, I still haven’t forgotten my terrible experience back in Orgo. I’d like to leave before I was made to go through that again, but I was told by Gren himself that I would find some help here… sigh… might as well get it over with.

The girls lined up along the sides like retainers waiting on a noble or VIP, or in this case probably to showcase themselves to me… it’s getting awful hard to find places where to look. Even this Mistress’ swaying hips and jiggling ass in front of me were hypnotically driving me mad as she led me inside. The only mercy is the hood still over my head hiding my embarrassed expression. Think of Ellen… Think of Ellen…

 

“Now then, Dear Sir, how would we… be of ‘service’ to you?”

 

No sooner had she led me into the establishment and I started my internal chant, she turned and inquired me with a big emphasis she placed on service. Now that Ellen has helped me clear my thoughts, I coughed and spoke of my needs while trying to keep my tone serious.

 

“*cough*… I have come here since Gren referred this place. He told me you’d be able to help me find passage to the capital.”

 

With my words, I can visibly see the shift in expressions the Mistress had. Sadly losing her smile, she started giving me quite the serious look until her face eventually scrunched up showing she was upset.

 

“Gren… is it. I see the old fool still remembers me, but not in the way I was hoping. Hmph… Oh do pardon me; it’s just that I happened to remember something unpleasant.”

 

Unpleasant? Looks like Gren has some history with this gal… and not in a good light it seems. I can only hope this doesn’t work against me. Ugh, what the hell did you do, old man?

 

“Well, no matter… alright, my dear, passage to the capital is it?… …”

 

As she pulled out what seems to be a long cigarette holder from under her sleeve and lit the end, she crossed her arms and sighed as she blew a puff. With a pause, I can see that she’s thinking deeply about something… … and it seems to be taking some time.

With my nervousness going down, I sensed that the girls were behind me by the door as I kept hearing their whispers and low chatter. They’re probably curious about their Mistress’ reaction.

As the seconds slowly tick by, I started noticing the features of the foxkin woman in front of me. To me, her figure could only be described as “exaggeratingly” voluptuous.

With a tight waist, overly curvaceous hips and thighs, and huge fully formed mallow-like hills that seem to spill from her very tight kimono-like attire that appears to cling and accentuate her body, it’s as if her form was made solely to seduce men.

It’s so unrealistic, that it’s almost as if she was a living overly sexualized character from cartoons or video games in general. Add to the fact her shining silvery hair tied like exotic ribbons held up by what seems to be chopsticks, her overly pale-white snow-like skin, and a mole under her left dimple overall gives her a fae-like and ethereal beauty. And lastly, her eyes… light-blue and clear as a mountain spring… as if her gaze could refresh the soul and quench it of its thirst for her…

…oh fuck.

Think only of Ellen… Think only of Ellen… Think of Elle–

 

“Dear customer, forgive my rudeness, but it seems I’ve forgotten to introduce myself along with my establishment. You may call me, Mistress Sorena, and I am the proprietress of the All-Treasure Pavilion.”

 

I was pulled out of my mindless chant by her introduction, and as I was about to introduce myself as well–

 

“I– !!”

 

– I choked on my words as I found she was standing too close! TOO CLOSE! Like, I-can-smell-her-flowery-breath kind of close!

Out of panic, I grabbed her by her shoulders. Processing the situation as quickly as I could, as gently as I can, I pushed her back while I let go and took a step back.

 

“M-Mistress Sorena, I am Camus… and I’m sorry for that, but… you might not want to get too close to me. After all, I… may not be as I seem.”

 

With understandable confusion on her face, I slowly pulled down my hood to reveal myself. Thinking about it, this may not be a good idea, but as I’ll need her help, I figured I shouldn’t hide what I am to gain her trust. Steeling my heart, I stood ready to take in their revulsion as I exposed my head, tail, and wings.

 

“!!”

 

I can see Mistress Sorena’s eyes widen as she saw me and I could hear gasps at my back, yet… surprisingly, no screams. After a few seconds of silence, I started to feel that the situation was getting… weird. All the hardened women of Orgo’s brothels either ran screaming or prepared themselves as if they were going to the fight of their lives, and yet… here they’re all just staring. I even decided to slowly look behind me and the girls were just looking at me… in a more curious sort of way, I think.

Shockingly, Mistress Sorena even started grinning and came closer once more.

 

“My, my… a scalekin? Or perhaps something even more… exotic…” she said as she went around me as if examining some sort of specimen.

 

“I don’t believe we’ve ever had a scalekin before. Your thoughts, girls?”

“Yes, Mistress! They were always violent and rude! They also stunk like mud and fish!”

“Right, right! Those scaled bastards always called us fleshy, hairy, and fat!”

 

I could hear the girls at the back yell out their agreement in sync after hearing that last bit. Listening to them voice their complaints about scalekin made me start sweating with a different kind of fear.

 

“I see. So… what do you think about our guest here?”

 

With no response and only silence, I couldn’t help myself from gulping as I wondered what the verdict would be.

 

“Hmm… Cheshi thinks this one’s ok. He was nice and even gave Cheshi snacks!”

“He was… gentle…”

“He’s hard like a rock! What I wouldn’t give to get in a good tussle with him again!”

 

The little catkin, Cheshi, was adorable so I gave her some snacks I previously bought from the stalls as they showed me the way to the Pavilion. Emi’s remark can be easily taken the wrong way… I mean, all I did was catch her as she tripped a little… and damn it Azula, what the hell’s with that declaration!?

 

“Oho! I see. Very well then, Sir Camus, it seems some of my girls see you positively, so if you’d like to continue our “business” discussion, then please follow me to my office.”

 

Glad that that’s been taken care of, I waved at the three girls and followed Mistress Sorena’s swaying a- *cough* back as she brought me to her office.

 

***

 

“Hey! Does everyone think he’s really a scalekin? Cheshi thinks otherwise!”

“If he’s not a scalekin, what else could he be?”

“… lizardman?”

 

Not long after Mistress Sorena left, the girls started talking about their new guest in the lounge. As the three who brought in Camus were discussing matters, a large shadow loomed over them as it slowly approached with large thuds.

 

“Ah! Big sis Elm! Did you just get back?”

“Hello girls, just finished with the groceries. I couldn’t help but overhear. Is it true that we have a scalekin guest?”

 

The one who responded was a beautiful woman with a gentle demeanor, had curly chestnut brown hair, and lightly tanned skin. What set her apart from the others, however, was that she was over 2 meters tall, had a pair of 12-inch horns, and bovine ears, tail, and legs. While Ellen was a half-giant and could be described as having an athletic build, the Minorus woman, Elm, could be simply described as “thick.”

 

"It's true! A scalekin is going to be our customer today!"

"Oh my, I sure hope he doesn't hurt whoever he chooses. I heard scalekin are violent to women not of their own. I also heard they love to take bites out of flesh."

"Don't worry sis Elm! This guy's good I think! I really hope he picks me... cuz I really wanna finish off where we started!" Azula said as she slapped her hand over her fist when she remembered her fight with Camus.

"Oh, did Azula already started with him? Then I guess he can't be so bad if you wanna continue with him. I don't think I could do it. I touched a snake once and I didn't like how it was so slippery and cold."

"... I don't think you should compare him with a regular snake, big sis."

 

Elm smiled as she held onto Cheshi when she remembered the terrible memory of the snake. Almost suffocated, Cheshi was barely able to gasp for air as her head surfaced from between the hills.

 

“Guh… big sis… did they get bigger again?”

“Oh Cheshi, you always say that whenever I go out for a bit. You know they can’t get bigger anymore right?”

 

Elm giggled as she pat Cheshi on the head like a mother would her child.

 

"Nyaa! Elm's mean! Cheshi always tells sis not to treat Cheshi like a little girl!"

"I'm sorry Cheshi, I could never help it since you're so small and cute."

"Nyaaaaa! Cheshi always tells sis Elm not to call Cheshi small either!"

 

As Elm and Cheshi were doing their usual mother-daughter play, another girl entered the lobby. However, contrary to the warmth of their earlier interaction, the entrance of the new girl made the atmosphere turn cold, almost as if cold water was poured onto each of them.

"Ah, Lady Arwen, are you well?"

"..."

Despite Elm's kind greeting, the girl kept silent and only stared at her. The girl had long straight golden blonde hair and had elegant features. With beautiful jade-green eyes, her beauty was by far unparalleled if one were to compare her with any other girls. What separate her from the rest were her long ears that extended from the side of her head. Her statuesque features were so alluring, that if she perhaps were to smile, there would have been no doubt that everyone would have been charmed by her. Instead, what greeted everyone was her cold stare and silence.

"... uh, is there something the matter, Lady Arwen?"

"..."

Again, the girl stared, but soon made to leave. Before she left entirely, she spoke in what could barely be heard if one strained their ears to their utmost as she said "Be... ware... ... liz... ard..."

As she was gone, the remaining girls could only shudder in confusion as the silence persisted.

 

***

 

"Now Camus, please be a dear and answer me honestly..."

 

H-How did I get into this situation!? To be forced into this state... this is a nightmare!

 

"Tell me... you're a Dragon... aren't you?"

 

Gah! ...Miss Sorena... whyyy!?

26