Ch 1.2 Before the Maintenance (2)
334 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon hearing my command, the two moved as if they were chess pieces, clashing with the headless bodies. Although they trusted and blindly followed my command, I left some autonomy to deal with the situation as they saw fit.

‘It’s like we only have two rooks, one bishop against the whole board.’

However, unlike chess, an open field battle had no boundary like a chess board. As long as we moved away and slowly cut down the opponents, we would gain an advantage.

Cladded in golden aura. Carol’s muscles pumped up before taking a big swing. The humanoid monsters were swept and splitted in halves.

Hans moved up to take majority of the aggro while Carol fell back to deal with less enemies and recover.

But during this time, our formation became weaker.

<Mana Manipulation>

<Magic Missile>

My hands glowed a faint blue light with a surge of magic rushing out from my heart. A barrage of magic missiles pierced through dozens of enemies in an instant, covering the weak side.

Despite the difference in speed, we managed to prevent being surrounded.

‘AoE attack?’

After a quick glance over the area with <Eyes of Probabilities>, several variables were sharply rising while other numbers plummeted toward zero. 

Quickly, I locked my eyes on Sitri that stopped its flight mid air. All of a sudden, numbers had appeared around its mouth without other visible threats.

‘Those might be mana densities. We have no time to retreat…’

Eye of Probabilities seemed convenient, but in practice using this skill required combat experience, quick deduction and decision making, along with a gut to gamble.

“Hold the position. Hans, move to the rear.”

It was a gamble to use the boss monster’s AoE against its minions. The behavior showed that they didn’t have enough intelligence and self preservation. We just had to hold the encirclement.

“Roger.” “Understood.”

While being protected by two melee warriors, I condensed one fifth of my mana into a sphere.

At the same time, a light was formed at the mouth of the beast. If I was one step slower, we would all turn to ash, or at best, waste all resources to survive the attack.

‘The numbers are changing.’

That meant the chance of survival rose.

<Mana Manipulation>

<Shield>

A triangular prism shield formed right above our head before a ray of heat shot down from the sky.

All I saw was a wall of heat that was splitted by the mana shield. 

Finally, the heat ray stopped 

Thousands of monsters were eradicated from a single attack. Not even ashes remained. 

‘!?’

I broke a cold sweat as soon as the numbers on the ground shifted rapidly and the winged leopard disappeared from sight. 

The heat ray was a smokescreen for the next attack.

‘Above?’

The giant winged leopard was diving down at full speed.

“Hans M(122, -460), Carol M(80, 500)! Regroup after the impact!!!”

I issued a high precision command to two NPCs. I didn’t know if the two would be about to get into position in time, but I had to get myself to a safe spot as well.

<Blink>

<Shield>

The space distorted and moved my body 390 meters backward away from the previous location. Right before the colossal body slammed to the ground, I immediately hid myself behind dense hexagonal plates formed in front of me and braced for the impact.

Boom!

Upon landing, the ground shook violently and lava pillars erupted. Flame of a scorching land was carried by the shockwave slowly shipping down the magic shield.

The blast numbed my senses, filling both eardrums with a white noise. 

In the middle of the crater, Sitri shredded its skin. They melted and countless headless bodies emerged from rotten puddles. 

‘F***... This isn’t even a second phase.’

12