Worldview
184 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the beginning, when the universe was born, there was only chaos—formless, traceless, silent, and colorless. This chaotic energy gathered together like an egg. Within it, a Primordial Spirit Qi, formless and shadowless, was nurtured by the chaotic universe. It was the beginning of consciousness, and it was Pangu.
After he took shape, he instantly felt the surrounding chaos unbearable, oppressively so. Thus, he conjured an axe to cleave the heavens, using all his strength to strike at the chaotic energy.
All was silent until the chaos was cleaved, bursting forth with blinding light, and ripples of disturbance spread through the space around it.
In an instant, a rift tore through the chaos, and the force of the explosion, like a wild beast, instantly ripped through the tranquil universe. The chaotic energy expanded rapidly in all directions under the shockwave. In this process, the clear Qi rose, and the turbid Qi descended, gradually forming the division between heaven and earth.

Since Pangu shattered the primordial void, discerning clarity from chaos began from then.
Bearing all beings with supreme benevolence, inventing all things to be inherently good.
To understand the grand workings of Fate, one must delve into the tale of the Journey to the West.
It is said that the cycle of heaven and earth spans 129,600 years, forming one full cycle. This cycle is divided into twelve phases, corresponding to the twelve Earthly Branches: Zi(子), Chou(丑), Yin(寅), Mao(卯), Chen(辰), Si(巳), Wu(午), Wei(未), Shen(申), You(酉), Xu(戌), Hai(亥). Each phase lasts 1,800 years.
Considering a single day: during Zi time, Yang energy rises, and during Chou, the rooster crows; Yin remains dark, while Mao brings sunrise; Chen is for dining, Si for organizing; noon is the peak of day, and Wei marks the shift westward; Shen brings the evening, and You, the sunset; Xu is dusk, and Hai, the time when all settles. Analogous to the grand cycle, by the end of Xu phase, heaven and earth are shrouded in obscurity, and all things are negated.
Advancing 5,400 years to the start of Hai phase, darkness prevails, and both realms and beings are nonexistent, hence Chaos. Another 5,400 years, as Hai phase nears its end and a new cycle approaches Zi, clarity gradually returns. Shao Kangjie said, "At the midpoint of winter, Zi, the heavenly heart remains unchanged. Where the first Yang moves, all beings are yet to be born."
Here, heaven begins to take root. Another 5,400 years, precisely at Zi phase, light and clarity ascend, bringing forth the sun, the moon, the stars, and the constellations. Sun, moon, stars, and constellations are known as the Four Symbols. Thus, it is said, heaven opens at Zi. Further, after 5,400 years, as Zi phase concludes nearing Chou, solidity gradually forms.
The I Ching states, "Great indeed is the primal Qian! Vast indeed is the primal Kun! All things bear life, following heaven in succession." Here, earth begins to coalesce. Another 5,400 years, at the heart of Chou phase, heaviness and murk condense below, bringing water, fire, mountains, stones, and soil. Water, fire, mountains, stones, and soil are called the Five Elements. Thus, it is said, earth is divided at Chou. After another 5,400 years, as Chou ends and Yin begins, all things are born.
The calendar states, "Heaven's energy descends, earth's energy rises; heaven and earth unite, all beings are born." At this point, heaven is clear, earth is refreshed, Yin and Yang unite. Another 5,400 years, precisely at Yin phase, humans, beasts, and birds are born, truly establishing heaven, earth, and humanity—the Three Powers in their rightful places. Thus, it is said, humans are born in Yin.
Grateful for Pangu's creation, the Three Sovereigns govern, and the Five Emperors set the moral order, dividing the world into four great continents: namely, the East Victorious Divine Continent, the Western Continent of Cattle-Gift, the Southern Continent of Jambu, and the Northern Continent of Kuru.
Beyond the seas lies a country, named Aolai Country, near the great ocean, within which lies a mountain called the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit. This mountain is the ancestral vein of the ten continents, the dragon source of the three islands, established from the separation of clarity and murkiness, formed after the division of the primordial chaos.

Annotations:

Pangu: A mythological figure credited with creating the world by separating the heavens from the earth and setting the universe's foundational elements in place.
Journey to the West: A classic Chinese novel that narrates the pilgrimage of the monk Xuanzang to obtain Buddhist sacred texts, accompanied by disciples with supernatural origins.
Earthly Branches: Part of the Chinese cyclical system of time division, comprising twelve branches that correspond to years, months, days, and hours, also symbolizing directions, seasons, and more.
Four Symbols: Four mythological creatures in the Chinese constellations: the Azure Dragon of the East, the Vermilion Bird of the South, the White Tiger of the West, and the Black Tortoise of the North.
Five Elements: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Water. In Chinese philosophy, these are the fundamental elements of the universe, interdependent and influencing each other.
Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors: Legendary rulers and culture heroes in ancient China, credited with introducing important aspects of human civilization.

5