Chapter 22 Benefited Greatly
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a moment, Wukong made his way back to the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit along the same path he had come. Marshal Liú was the first to see him return, dressed in his chain-linked golden armor and a phoenix-feathered purple gold crown, looking extraordinarily majestic and valiant. Overjoyed, he exclaimed, "The king has returned with treasures!" The group of little demons surrounded Wukong like stars around the moon, brothers bustling around to get a look at Wukong's attire. Wukong shouted, "Stand back, children!"

 

The group of monkeys stepped back, and Wukong smiled, "What I wear is not the treasure; the real treasure is right here!" He took out the Ruyi Golden Cudgel from his ear, tossed it into the air, and it stood upright on the ground.

 

Marshal Liú asked, "What's so precious about this little iron stick?" Wukong replied, "Little iron stick? Try picking it up!" Marshal Liú attempted to lift it, but the Dinghai Shen Zhen, weighing 13,500 jin, didn't budge an inch. Wukong burst into laughter, "This is the Dragon Palace's most treasured item; how could you possibly lift it?" Having obtained the Golden Cudgel, Wukong was delighted and naturally wanted to show off.

 

The Ruyi Golden Cudgel, standing on the ground, grew taller with the wind, reaching a height of over a hundred feet before Wukong retracted his magical power and took the cudgel back into his ear. If it had grown straight into the heavens, it might have caused trouble. Even so, the sight of it made the seventy-two demon kings so terrified that they bowed down in worship, trembling as if their souls were about to leave their bodies.

 

Having accomplished a great feat, Wukong returned to his cave, feeling exhilarated. By chance, he saw two books under the lampstand on his desk, which he had obtained from his master Bodhi. He couldn't understand the text and had left them untouched.

 

One day, he decided to take these two books and flew on a cloud towards the Kingdom of Aolai.

 

As he approached, he retracted his divine power and transformed into an elderly man, walking into the city. He noticed the characters on a signboard by the road were similar to those in his books, which pleased him.

 

Finding a bookstore, he took out one titled "The Stick Fighting Technique of Equaling Heaven" and asked, "Shopkeeper, I cannot read. Could you tell me what this book is about?"

 

The shopkeeper praised the book as a rare find. After flipping through a few pages and becoming suspicious, he asked, "Where did you get this book?"

 

Thinking the shopkeeper might not be an ordinary human, Wukong fabricated a story about his son exchanging for the book without knowing how to read and sent him to inquire in the city.

 

The shopkeeper laughed, "I see. I was wondering what use you had for this stick technique; I spoke out of turn."

 

Wukong inwardly chuckled, thinking it was his fate to give the shopkeeper a scare.

 

"What? You say this book is about stick fighting?"

 

The shopkeeper replied, "It's clearly written on the cover, 'The Stick Fighting Technique of Equaling Heaven'! Though there are no illustrations, it contains methods of channeling and practicing energy. There can be no mistake." After explaining, he returned the book to Wukong, suggesting he find someone literate to teach his child, otherwise, how could he practice?

 

Wukong, being clever, asked the shopkeeper to find someone literate to read the book to him, pretending he would dispose of the book if it was too advanced to prevent his son from learning to fight and causing trouble.

 

After some hesitation, Wukong took out two bright silver ingots, "This is for reading the book. Would that be acceptable?"

 

The shopkeeper was tempted but tried to refuse, "This is unnecessary for just reading a book."

 

Wukong laughed internally at the pretense, insisting on paying, "The shopkeeper is straightforward. My family is well-off; this small amount of silver is nothing to us, just accept it."

 

The shopkeeper quickly covered the silver with his sleeve, smiling broadly, "Please come inside for some tea."

 

Indeed, money talks. That day, Wukong sat in the inner hall, listening to a articulate young shop assistant read "The Stick Fighting Technique of Equaling Heaven" to him. The book, only about a hundred pages long with large characters and wide spacing typical of ancient texts, was read through twice by the assistant before dusk. Wukong memorized the entire text and then returned to the mountains.

 

On his way back, Wukong was delighted to learn that "The Stick Fighting Technique of Equaling Heaven" was actually a secret manual of the ancient deity Yu the Great, comprising three volumes in total.

 

The first volume discusses the art of iron smelting and metallurgy, detailing tens of thousands of words without apparent practical use. The second volume, also extensive in text, focuses exclusively on the methods of energy cultivation and movement, perfectly complementing the Dinghai Shen Zhen. The third volume finally touches on the techniques themselves. It contains no illustrations but discusses the essence of stick fighting and mastery, advocating a style where "less is more" in combat.

 

Upon returning to the Water Curtain Cave, Wukong, as if possessed by a fervent desire for knowledge, delved into the study of these texts. Blessed with a divine intellect and a fortunate destiny, he managed to bring together these two unique treasures of heaven and earth.

 

Indeed, following the methods outlined, Wukong immediately noticed a difference when wielding the Dinghai Shen Zhen, feeling as if the weapon was an extension of his own arm, achieving a unity between man and weapon of formidable power.

 

Dedicated and enduring rigorous practice for four months, Wukong mastered the techniques to perfection. His martial skills improved more than twofold, especially in the force behind his stick strikes.

 

One day, Wukong, carrying another thick book, returned to the bookstore. The shopkeeper, recognizing the elder from four months prior, was ecstatic. The profit from Wukong's last visit had exceeded half a year's earnings for the shop, giving him much to be happy about.

 

Greeting Wukong from afar, the shopkeeper watched as Wukong repeated his previous request, asking an assistant to slowly read through the thick book. This book, titled "Arms Canon," discussed various divine treasures and magical weapons from antiquity, its origins unknown.

 

The young assistant, a commoner, had no understanding of these esoteric teachings and grew sleepy as he read. Wukong motivated him with another ingot of silver, revitalizing his spirit.

 

Taking two days to read, the "Arms Canon" left Wukong secretly astounded.

 

Items such as the Purple Gold Red Gourd, the White Jade Cleansing Bottle, Vajra, the Banana Leaf Fan, the Golden Pagoda, and others were listed, with the Pangu Axe ranking first, a weapon not mentioned in the Journey to the West and presumably lost to history.

 

Wukong was disappointed to find the Ruyi Golden Cudgel ranked only eighty-first, even behind Erlang Shen's Three-pointed Double-edged Lance and the Red Boy's Fire-tipped Spear.

 

More perplexing was the ranking of the Nine Rings Tin Staff, given to Tang Sanzang by Guanyin, placed in the top ten despite its apparent lack of utility throughout the tale, which was quite odd.

 

After patiently listening for two days and memorizing the list of treasures, Wukong returned to the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit.

 

The next morning, Wukong summoned the four great marshals and the seventy-two demon kings, informing them of his plans to travel the world, visiting heroes far and wide, while they were to diligently protect the mountain.

 

Wukong passed on a secret technique to the four marshals, ensuring his swift return should formidable foes attack.

 

With Wukong's support, the marshals and their followers swore to defend their home to the last, filled with confidence and resolve.

 

With no further concerns, Wukong let out a long howl and, riding a auspicious cloud, joyfully set off to explore the world.

 

Within the territory of the Western Niu He Zhou, amidst vast mountains and lush forests, a man and a woman, both extraordinarily beautiful but in a dire state, hid in the dense brush, covered in blood.

 

The man said, "Yuer, if it comes to this, I shall lead the heavenly soldiers away."

 

The woman, looking worn and anxious, replied, "No! After a thousand years together, do you not know my heart?"

 

Determined, the man said, "I would agree to anything else, but for the sake of our child, I must insist."

 

Hearing "our child," the woman's tears flowed freely, yet she clung to his clothes.

 

"If there's a next life, let's be together again and never cultivate as demons," the man said.

 

The woman nodded, "Even living as ordinary foxes for just a decade or two, content in peace, would be enough."

 

Suddenly, a thunderous sound from above and more than a dozen heavenly soldiers appeared, with their leader laughing maniacally, "Demons, even now you speak of love! Surrender your lives!"

 

Facing certain doom, the couple despaired.

 

The man spat out a bright golden inner alchemy, "Yuer, listen to me just this once. When I detonate the alchemy, use your earth escape technique and flee. Take care of... our child."

 

Yuer, nearly fainting from grief, nodded in a daze.

 

The man, confronting the soldiers, declared, "We've cultivated in purity; what quarrel do you have with us, to pursue us so relentlessly?"

 

The leading soldier coldly retorted, "Demons must not exist in this world. You deserve no place to rest in death!"

 

With a bitter laugh, the man accepted his fate, "Very well, come then!"

 

 

Annotations:

Wukong (悟空): Also known as Sun Wukong or the Monkey King, a mythological figure from the classic Chinese novel "Journey to the West." He is known for his incredible strength, magical powers, and rebellious spirit.

Ruyi Jingu Bang (如意金箍棒): The "As-You-Will Gold-Banded Cudgel," a magical weapon that can change its size at will, is one of Sun Wukong's primary weapons. It was originally a pillar used by the Dragon King of the East Sea, which Wukong obtained from the underwater palace.

Dragon Palace (龙宫): A mythical underwater palace ruled by the Dragon King, often depicted in Chinese mythology as a magnificent and wealthy realm.

Bodhi (菩提): In Chinese Buddhism, Bodhi refers to the understanding possessed by a Buddha regarding the true nature of things. It is often represented in literature as a sage or mentor figure.

Yu the Great (大禹): A legendary ruler in ancient China, famed for his introduction of flood control, inaugurating dynastic rule in China by founding the Xia Dynasty, and his moral rectitude.

2