Chapter 28 Flowing Affections
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yu Monkey King stared with wide eyes and was speechless for a long time, reluctantly accepting the circular magical treasure. Although this treasure could collect various magical items, it was powerless against the true form of the Bull Demon King, and deploying it was useless.

 

The Bull Demon King said, "Do you still want to compete?"

 

Yu Monkey King knew that with his abilities, it was extremely difficult to harm the true form of the Bull Demon King, so he said gloomily, "You two are ganging up on one, what else is there to say? However, if I want to leave, the two of you can't stop me."

 

Seeing Yu Monkey King's tone soften, Wukong quickly stepped forward and said, "Brother, don't misunderstand. We were just passing by this place and saw the abnormal black clouds, so we came over to check. Your skills are admirable, and we were just itching for a challenge. It's not a matter of life and death, why leave?"

 

Yu Monkey King, seeing Wukong was not pretending, then coldly laughed, "Heh, your itch for a challenge has ruined my important task. I was refining a magical treasure under Proud Peaks, and once it was completed, neither of you would be my match. Now, with your interference, it's been ruined midway. What will you compensate me with?"

 

The Bull Demon King, having already retracted his true form, said, "Don't falsely accuse others. If you're not satisfied, let's fight again!"

 

Wukong stopped the Bull Demon King with a look and asked, "What's so special about your treasure that it must be refined under the peak?"

 

Yu Monkey King, with a look of proud solitude, said, "Have you not heard of the spiritual mountains and ridges, beneath which lie endless geothermal fires? Proud Peaks are so exquisite because of the strong geothermal fire underneath supporting it. I use this to refine treasures, a secret not passed outside my sect."

 

Wukong laughed, "Brother, don't misunderstand. There are thousands of magical methods, each with its own strengths. Even though your sect has its secret methods, I don't hold them in high regard." Seeing Yu Monkey King was not angry, he continued, "I find Proud Peaks quite ordinary, and I doubt the geothermal fire is anything special."

 

Yu Monkey King stared at Wukong and sighed, "Indeed, there is a fine mountain to the south, but it's full of demons and I dislike trouble, hence I settled for this peak."

 

Wukong thought to himself, aside from my Flower Fruit Mountain, what other fine mountains could there be to the south? He then had an idea and said, "If you trust me, I can help you refine the treasure at that fine mountain. How about that?"

 

Yu Monkey King sneered, "Even if I don't trust you, what could you do to me? But I observe the mountain's terrain, and without great magical powers, it's difficult to control. If you mess up, don't blame me."

 

Wukong laughed, "Of course, I won't blame you. But if we succeed, what will you give me in return?"

 

Yu Monkey King said, "If you can take this peak and protect me while I refine this magical treasure, I will honor you as a brother. How about that?"

 

Wukong laughed heartily, "It's a deal!"

 

The Bull Demon King turned away, snickering a few times. The clever monkey, initially saying he would compensate for the loss, now added conditions, showing his shrewdness.

 

Without delay, they set off. Three auspicious clouds were summoned, and each of them rode one, flying towards the south. Although Yu Monkey King agreed to follow Wukong, he was cautious and followed behind, keeping a distance.

 

The Bull Demon King transmitted a message in mid-air, "Today, we've encountered Fate, do you know?"

 

Wukong asked, "What Fate?"

 

The Bull Demon King said, "The legend goes that when Yu Monkey King appears, blood will spill for thousands of miles. Isn't that Fate?"

 

Wukong shivered and replied, "Whether that's good or bad, I see that Yu Monkey King, though eccentric, prefers tranquility over chaos and is not a murderous person. Don't believe in false rumors."

 

The Bull Demon King chuckled, "Hopefully, it's true. I, the old Bull, might also benefit."

 

Quickly, they arrived at the boundaries of Flower Fruit Mountain.

 

Above the clouds, Yu Monkey King pointed at Flower Fruit Mountain and said, "This is the place. This mountain range is rich in spiritual energy, truly a blessed land. I wonder which demon has taken over this mountain, making people envious."

 

Wukong chuckled secretly but said, "After fighting for two days, I still don't know your name, so I have a way to address you."

 

Yu Monkey King hesitated, then said, "I have no name; you can just call me Wang Yu."

 

Wukong thought to himself, this name fits well, being the king of Yu Monarchs. But by this logic, shouldn't the Bull Demon King be called King Bull?

 

Wukong and the Bull Demon King introduced themselves in turn. When Wang Yu heard the name of the Bull Demon King, he said, "Are you the mighty Bull Demon King who flattened the Lion Camel Country a thousand years ago?" The Bull Demon King laughed and said, "Those demons were rampant, violating natural laws. If not rectified, they would eventually face divine punishment. Why, do you have any connection to them?"

 

Wang Yu didn't even look at the Bull Demon King, saying, "They're not worthy. I was just a step late, and you took the lead."

 

Hearing the two mention the Lion Camel Country, Wukong was intrigued. It turns out there was such a history. But in just a few hundred years, the place was taken over by the Green Lion, White Elephant, and Dapeng, becoming a significant climate, something beyond their imagination.

 

Wukong said to Wang Yu, "Brother Wang Yu, which peak have you taken a fancy to? I'll get it for you."

 

Wang Yu, hearing Wukong's confident tone, pointed to a peak three miles behind the main peak of Flower Fruit Mountain and said, "This one will suffice."

 

Wukong nodded, "Follow me."

 

They descended from the clouds and landed on the peak, where a demon king came out to greet them. This peak was under the control of the White Rhino King, one of the seventy-two demon kings. Seeing Wukong deign to visit, he was flattered.

 

Wukong explained their purpose, and the White Rhino King dared not refuse, nodding and bowing to invite the three into his cave for a discussion.

 

However, Wang Yu slightly shook his head. After hearing the White Rhino King agree, he disappeared without a trace using a ground escape technique. Wukong smiled bitterly, noting Wang Yu's remarkable abilities and eccentric character.

 

Wang Yu had already explained to him that using the geothermal fire to refine magical treasures was not a matter of depleting resources but merely borrowing them. Thus, the impact on the local Feng Shui and spiritual energy was minimal. In essence, Wukong managed to offer a favor without any cost to himself. Yet, he understood that all these could still be the workings of an inexplicable fate.

 

Since arriving in the world of Journey to the West, aside from advancing his learning period, encountering Wuzhiqi, and mastering the "Equaling Heaven Staff Technique," everything still proceeded along its original trajectory. Currently powerless and clueless about changing anything, he could only follow the general trend, seeking opportunities to alter his fate of being suppressed under the Five Elements Mountain and becoming a Buddha out of frustration.

 

At least, he still had time.

 

While he was pondering, he heard Wang Yu's voice, "In ten years at most, or seven at least, it will be accomplished." Wukong felt somewhat disappointed upon hearing this, but then he thought that such a few years were negligible compared to the millennia-long cultivation periods.

 

In the following days, Wukong gathered the demons of Flower Fruit Mountain, and together with the Bull Demon King, they enjoyed a banquet, drinking and making merry.

 

One day, the Bull Demon King said to Wukong, "Brother, although the years here are carefree, it's not a long-term plan. I need to find a place to temper my true form."

 

Wukong was taken aback. With the Bull Demon King's formidable strength, he could have been a great ally in his adventures. Now that he was leaving, what should he do?

 

Wukong couldn't detain him. After racking his brains, he suddenly asked, "Brother, who else is in your family?"

 

The Bull Demon King was stunned, "Only your sister-in-law is at home. Why do you ask?"

 

Wukong replied, "Nothing much. If you don't mind, you could bring your sister-in-law to Flower Fruit Mountain. I can open up another cave dwelling and plant more spiritual herbs and beautiful grasses. It would be livelier here, and she would have someone to look after her."

 

The Bull Demon King was touched and said, "I appreciate the brotherly love, but I'm not sure if she would get used to living here."

 

Wukong laughed, "What's the difficulty? You and I can invite sister-in-law to come and see, and then we'll know."

 

The Bull Demon King looked troubled, "This..."

 

Wukong secretly laughed, thinking that the Bull Demon King must not be on good terms with Princess Iron Fan; otherwise, why would he leave a delicate beauty at home unattended and hesitate to bring her here?

 

At that moment, the Bull Demon King felt conflicted. Entrusted by his master to forge a brotherhood with Wukong, he would inevitably visit often. How could he know that Wukong was already aware of the name Rakshasa Woman and even knew about his future affair with the Jade-faced Fox? If he really brought the Rakshasa Woman here, wouldn't he have to frequently face this troublesome lady?

 

Seeing Wukong's sincerity, he found it hard to refuse. He finally decided, "Alright, given the deep brotherhood, I will bring my wife here. It will be joyful for the family to be together!"

 

Wukong was delighted, "That's wonderful! I will arrange for someone to prepare a dwelling for sister-in-law, so she can also experience the celestial scenery of Flower Fruit Mountain."

 

While Wukong was arranging for assistance, the story shifts to the Bull Demon King leaving Flower Fruit Mountain and heading straight to the Thirty-Three Heavens.

 

In the Thirty-Three Heavens, within the Taiyi Heaven, the venerable Lord Lao Zi was meditating with his eyes closed in the palace. Suddenly, he opened his eyes and said, "Let the Bull enter."

 

A page went out to see and indeed saw the Bull Demon King approaching on a cloud. "The master has summoned you inside," the page said coldly.

 

The Bull Demon King stepped into the palace, pondering how to convince his master to allow him some distance from his wife. To his surprise, upon entering, he saw his master seated with dignity, and kneeling before him was a woman in tight-fitting attire and a heroic demeanor, none other than his own wife, the Rakshasa Woman.

 

Annotations:

 

Fate (造化): A concept deeply embedded in Chinese philosophy and literature, representing the interplay of destiny, fortune, and the natural order of the universe. It also represents your own destiny energy.

 

2