Chapter 35: The Passage of Time, Part 11
116 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

/ March 10, 2017 /

It has been 11 months since I saved Sung Shihyun's mother. There have been quite a few changes in these last months. 

First, my relationship with the girls... Now I have one more girlfriend, and to everyone's not so surprising surprise, it was Roe. Apparently, what I considered just games and jokes that we used to exchange with Roe, the rest of the family considered it innocent flirting between us. 

Our relationship began in a somewhat strange way. A few months after saving Sung Shihyun's mother, Roe finally mastered both spoken and written Korean perfectly, so I had nothing left to teach her and our study sessions were obviously going to conclude. 

I saw that she was discouraged in the following days, so I suggested to the family to have a party to celebrate Roe's achievement. Everyone agreed, although I suspect it was more because I said I was going to cook than for the reason for the celebration. 

During the party, everything was fine, but for some reason, Seunghae and Seonhwa became super conspiratorial trying to get me drunk, I just laughed and told them that was impossible and I was not being presumptuous, after all in the past they had made a good effort to achieve it, but thanks to my [Self-Healing] I can't get drunk if I don't want to. The whole family wanted to join the challenge of getting me drunk and they lined up one after another to challenge me to toast, but in the end, they could only suffer a crushing defeat. 

The last person to stand and try to defeat me was Roe, but she clearly began to get drunk first and at one point when she and I were the only ones awake she tried to kiss me and I stopped her. I am not dense and I know that she began to develop feelings for me at some point, but I could not kiss her while she was drunk. I don't want our first kiss to be something she can't remember clearly, especially after knowing from her about her past and how she has never been able to experience love and romance. 

The problem is that she started crying because of that and said "I knew it, I already knew that you couldn't like me, I'm a horrible widow who fell in love with you, a man different from my husband whom I was supposed to love" she said while crying. 

Luckily everyone was asleep from the drunkenness and did not see her in that state. I held her in princess style while she still cried and took her to her room, then I took a deep breath and told her as softly as possible "Roe I like you, you are a beautiful, strong, brave, and kind woman and the fact that you are a widow is not important. Here on Earth, no one would judge that and even if they did it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what the world says or thinks, that will not change what I feel and think of you" I told her while I stroked her cheek. 

She once again tried to kiss me, this time instead of stopping her completely, I took the initiative and kissed her but on the forehead and whispered softly in her ear, "Tomorrow when you are sober we can talk more calmly" she just nodded sleepily. 

I laid her down and made sure she was asleep. Then I returned to the living room and took everyone to their rooms as I was the only one still conscious. For reasons of the family party and that I was the one who cooked, the servants had been dispatched early. 

The only ones who did not get drunk to the point of falling asleep were Wooseok Hyung and Hyo-ri Noona, because they have to take care of Jungseok, so they went to sleep much earlier and they did not find out about anything. 

After putting everyone to sleep, I could not sleep much due to thinking about Roe's situation. I analyzed the whole situation and concluded that she took advantage of her drunken state to confess her feelings that she possibly would not have done otherwise. 

That is why I decided and got up before anyone else woke up the next day, cooked a hangover soup and prepared some medicine and went to Roe's room, woke her up and then helped her to breakfast. 

She was clearly embarrassed and nervous. Fortunately, it seems she remembers what happened last night. Before I could say anything, I slowly approached her with the clear intention of kissing her, which surprised her, but she did not resist and instead she finished the approach so we kissed. It was a soft and affectionate kiss, after a while we ended our kiss and I said, "I like you, do you want to be my girlfriend?" She cried a little and nodded, I hugged her tightly while she buried her face in my chest. 

We stayed like that for a while, until she recovered and said, "What are we going to do now? Will we keep our relationship a secret? I don't want to cause any problems with your relationship with Seonhwa and Seunghae, and much less cause conflict with the family, they have all been very good to me."

"Don't worry, our relationship will not cause any problems and we will not keep it a secret. Now you are my girlfriend and you are forbidden to feel ashamed about it and no one has the right to reproach you for it. If someone does, tell me and I will put them in their place," I said as I held her in my arms and she buried her head in my chest. 

After that, I spoke with Seonhwa and Seunghae. Seonhwa did not look very happy but neither was she angry, on the other hand, Seunghae was very happy. I was a little disconcerted by their reactions, but then they told me that in recent months Roe and I had been flirting without seeming to realize it, that we made jokes and played around. It's true that we did, but I don't remember it as being flirting. Although, it seems that to everyone else's eyes it was and the news was not so sudden because of it. Then explaining it to the family was more difficult, but they also accepted it, my dad just gave me the same warning as the first time. 

And after that, things did not change much in the family. My relationship with Roe went at a slower pace and only a few months later did we start to do spicier things and she agreed to stay overnight with us in the room, but without crossing the last line. 

Then there were the other changes in this time, those of Yun Seohui, she has improved quite a bit and now her mental maturity can be considered as that of a teenager and no longer that of a child, which is very good, but at the same time it changed things a bit, she no longer enjoys playing games with everyone and now joins the girls in other activities such as shopping, going to the movies, and pestering me to cook her treats. 

And her relationship with her sister seems to have finally improved. Now, somehow they get along better. They are not as close as real sisters, but at least they are friendly and as long as Yun Seohui keeps insisting, the relationship will surely improve. 

Then there are the changes that occurred on the side of Paradise; first of all, clearly Seonhwa has not gone to Paradise since she returned home. Just like in the novel, she abandoned Paradise after returning from her studies abroad. 

Master Maldong also said that he is tired, that he helped many people to strengthen themselves, but most were damn ungrateful and after receiving his help in Paradise, they only abused their power and contributed nothing. So he said that he would retire for a while and focus on continuing to train the Shadows and Eun Yuri for when the time comes. He also asked me to inform him when I finally decided to go, since I said I would go a year before Eun Yuri, but I never told him on what date. 

And finally, Sung Shihyun did not abandon Paradise as I recommended; instead, he went there shortly after I saved his mother and I haven't heard that he returned to Earth. His mother was very sad about her son's disappearance. The shadows continue to secretly protect her though. 

As for what Sung Shihyun has been doing in the Lost Paradise, I have no idea. I only know that he left Sinyoung, but I don't know if like in the novel, he joined the Parasites or finally changed his Destiny. 

Now moving on to my progress, this is what I have achieved so far.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{Seol Jihu Observation} 

<< 1. General Information >>

Name: Seol Jihu 

Age: 26 years old 

Gender: Male 

Height: 181 cm 

Weight: 102 KG 

Health status: Excellent 

Nationality: Republic of Korea 

Affiliation: The Shadow 

Alias: Oppa, The best Oppa in the world, The Oppa of Oppas, The Prince Charming, The best in school, The best in college, The best in high school, The four gossips, The most coveted non-single in Seoul, Genius, Boss of the Shadow, The god of death, Martial master, Lethal weapon, Multimillionaire, Successful businessman, Womanizer. 

<< 2. Traits >>

\ 1. Temperament \

Self-control: (Suppresses emotions, greed, and impulses with rational will)

Superhuman: (Incredibly exceptional at enduring pain and hardship compared to an average human)

Tender: (Sweet and gentle character with friends/allies/family)

Cruel: (Ruthless and indifferent character with rivals/threats/enemies)

Overprotective: (Constantly keeps those he loves watched and protected)

Ambitious: (Claims, enjoys, or covets things he feels are lacking)

Playful: (Likes to play and make jokes)

\ 2. Aptitude \

Observant: (Will carefully analyze and study the elements and events around him).

Computational: (Capable of receiving, processing, and analyzing a lot of information at high speed)

Creative: (The ability to think of new things)

Universal Genius: (Heavenly talent. Naturally born with exceptional talent in any field)

<< 3. Physical Level >> At the current limit and beyond the limit of ordinary humanity

Strength: High (High) Maximum 

Durability: High (High) Maximum 

Agility: High (High) Maximum 

Endurance: High (High) Maximum 

Mana: High (Intermediate)

Luck: High (High)

<< 4. Skills >>

/ 1. Innate abilities (4) /

[Nine Eyes] (development 6/9)

[Passive Natural Talent] (High Rank-Maximum Level)

[Passive Quick Recovery] (High Rank-Maximum Level)

[Self-Healing] (High Rank)

/ 2. Other abilities (5) /

[Mana Circuit Application] (High Rank)

[Physical Reinforcement] (High Rank)

[Mana Cloaking] (Intermediate Rank)

[Continuous Mana Flow] (High Rank)

[Sensory Perception] (Pinnacle Rank)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clearly I have far exceeded the human limit many times over. My current physical capacity without the use of abilities allows me to lift up to 2 tons of weight, run at 70km/h, withstand the damage of low-caliber bullets on my skin, and I have overwhelming endurance, at maximum performance I can maintain intense exercise for up to 30 hours straight without breaks. 

Using my [Physical Reinforcement] to the maximum without injuring myself, I can quintuple that, and if I use [Mana Cloaking], I am not afraid even of an anti-tank warhead shot. The only thing that decreases when I use [Physical Reinforcement] to the maximum is the time I can maintain my maximum performance, the higher the reinforcement, the less my performance will last because my body is subjected to much higher levels of stress than normal, for example, with [Physical Reinforcement] quintupling my stats, the time I can maintain my maximum performance is reduced from 30 hours to 6 hours. 

I am as prepared as I can be to go to Lost Paradise. It is time to start reclaiming the place and sweeping away the Parasites. 

And that brings me to the present, there are only 6 days left until the invocation of March this year starts. And that is precisely the one I will join. But for that, I need to go for my invitation which I asked the beautiful Noona for during the trip to the zoo when I was a child. 

Causality and Fate continue to show how strong they are. For a moment, I thought my invitation would be given to master Maldong since he had already delivered a message from me to the deities. But when I asked him if he had received anything for me, he said no. Therefore, the person I suspect has that invitation in their possession is the same as in the novel, Kim Hannah. 

In the novel, Kim Hannah is a businesswoman who is completely focused on succeeding in her corporate career. On Earth, she works as the head of the human resources department at Sinyoung Pharmaceuticals, the company owned by Yun Seohui's father. 

She is responsible for recruiting Earthlings who are in serious financial trouble, thus easily convincing them to go to Paradise with practically enslaving contracts in exchange for large sums of money on Earth. Normally, this would fall into the category of people I utterly despise, but now that is not the case because she does not do this to innocent people. She usually targets drug addicts, gamblers, and criminals. In the Lost Paradise, she is a very intelligent and cunning negotiator, known by the alias 'Miss Foxy' because she exhibits the cunning of a fox to deceive and achieve her goals. 

However, the novel also highlights that she is a trustworthy person who abides by the golden rule, which is based on the Bible verse Matthew 7:12 that essentially says to treat others as you want to be treated. Therefore, she is someone who, if you treat fairly and honestly, will also treat you fairly and honestly; conversely, if you try to cheat her, she will cheat you. 

Since master Maldong does not have the golden invitation, I am sure she has it, well, that is if Causality and Fate are still so reluctant to change. So, I arranged a business meeting with her in a private room at an upscale restaurant, and she is just a few minutes away from arriving. I waited a couple of minutes and finally saw her enter the room. 

She is a woman slightly taller than the average in Korea, measuring 169 cm, with dark brown hair that falls just below her shoulders. She is quite attractive and wears a complete office uniform, denoting her professionalism. 

"Welcome Miss Kim Hannah, please take a seat," I said as I stood up and helped her sit down. 

"Thank you very much, such a gentleman, your reputation is well deserved, I must say," she said, trying to joke about my reputation, which has been a big topic of debate on social media for many years. 

"I hope you are referring to the good part of my reputation," I said, laughing a little. 

"Of course," she said quickly, not wanting to offend me. I just sighed.

"I must say, I was really surprised that the most sought-after man in Seoul and one of the most sought-after in Korea invited me to a business meeting," she said with clear interest and at the same time emphasizing that she hopes we don't stray too far from the business topic, once again showing that she is a woman focused on her professional career. 

"I understand, we can eat and then focus directly on business, or postpone the meal until after the negotiations, it's your choice, Miss Kim Hannah," I said more seriously, to show that I am in business mode. 

"I prefer to discuss business first, I don't like to negotiate on a full stomach," she said. 

"Well, in that case, allow me to get straight to the point, I don't like to beat around the bush. You are in possession of a golden invitation to go to Lost Paradise, that invitation is mi-" I could not finish what I was saying when she abruptly stood up cursing and clearly showing offense. 

"Sons of bitches! So that's what this was about, I had imagined it! It's a conspiracy by that woman to take my things!" she said angrily while walking hastily towards the room's exit. 

"Alex Díaz!" I said loudly and clearly those two words, or rather that name had an effect on her. It seemed to take her a couple of seconds to process my words, and when she did, she froze in place from the shock. 

She asked slowly and softly, almost inaudibly, "What did you say?"

"I said, Alex Díaz. That is the name to which the golden invitation is destined, and I know it because it is the alias I asked one of the Seven Deities of Lost Paradise to send the invitation to," I said as slowly and clearly as possible. 

"Shit! It has to be a damn joke," she said thoughtfully, then turned and looked at me, as if reevaluating me. Finally, she sighed, walked back, and took her seat again. 

"Explain clearly what's going on and how you know what you know, if your explanation does not convince me, there will be no negotiations," she said grumpily.

"It is as I told you, Miss Kim Hannah. I know that in your possession is a golden invitation to enter Lost Paradise. I know that this invitation is intended for someone named Alex Díaz, I know it because I was the one who requested that invitation to that name from one of the Seven Deities of Paradise," I repeated again.

"You already said that, I want to know how do you know all this? How do you know about that place? And how can you speak freely of it? Clearly, you don't have the mark of having been there and there is no way you guessed all this, and how is it that you requested the invitation?" she asked annoyed. 

"All your questions have the same answer. I know of Lost Paradise and I requested the invitation from one of the Seven Deities. Several years ago, the deities of Lost Paradise were roaming the Earth in search of capable Earthlings who could be of much help in the war against the Parasites, I am one of them... 

But at that time I was not ready to go, but I promised to do so and to be able to go at the moment I was ready, I requested the invitation in the name of my alias Alex Díaz and I can speak freely because I am not bound by the vows of that place since I have never went there," I replied. 

"Let's suppose I believe what you told me, if so, what's next? Do you expect me to just give you my precious invitation that cost me an arm and a leg, just because it is in the name of your alias?" she said clearly angry.

"No, at least I don't expect you to hand it over without giving you compensation in return. In each of these folders is a proposal of what I consider fair compensation. As I told you, I don't like to beat around the bush, the proposals in those folders are what I consider a fair reward for your contribution in bringing me the golden invitation," I said as I passed her four different folders. 

She took them and began to look through them not seeming to have much expectation, but when she saw the contents of the first one, her expression quickly changed to complete surprise, and then she quickly went on to see the contents of the others, and her surprised expression became increasingly unreal. 

"You must be joking, if you want to scam someone at least you should offer them more believable things, this is so inflated it's not even funny," she said after sighing upon finishing reviewing the folders. 

"None of that is a joke, it will be backed by the corresponding legal means so you have nothing to fear, but you can only choose one of the four offers," I said seriously. 

It seems that the offers I made really surprised her. She meditated for a good while, then took the first folder and read it again, but a little out loud this time,"In the first offer you give me the value of 10% of your personal company that bills close to 1,015 million dollars annually. If I were the crazy money fanatic, I would surely be prostrating and praising you like a religious maniac at this moment, but I am not. And as tempting as the offer is, I don't want that. If I'm going to get something like that in my life ever, I want to be proud and say it was by my means and ability, not because it was given to me," she said while letting out a slight sigh. 

"The second, is an interesting offer. A job offer, where you offer me the management of your company on Earth and I will have a fixed salary and bonus increases based on my performance and contribution to the development of your company. That sounds more reasonable, but it's still very unsatisfactory, I don't want to be given a position that I feel I haven't earned, so I also discard it." She let out another sigh and looked annoyed.

"The third offer is a growing partnership not related to the Earth, but it is a partnership in that place, where I will be in charge of providing you with economic, strategic, and intellectual support and you will make me something like your business intermediary, where anything you discover and want to sell will be managed by me. It is more like forming a cooperation group to prosper there, it sounds like a challenge but I like challenges, so it is actually a good offer," she said while placing the folder with the third option in a different place than the two she discarded earlier. 

"The last one is blank, clearly indicating that if I have an offer in mind I can propose it and as long as it is acceptable, then we will have a deal, am I wrong?" she said while looking at me waiting for confirmation of her words. 

"That's right, if the previous offers are not satisfactory, I thought that then you could have your own counteroffer and as long as it is something I consider reasonable I will accept it," I replied calmly. 

"Well, you caught me off guard, seriously. I never expected someone to make me such ridiculous offers. The first two I reject, they go against my personality. It is true that I like to get the most out of a deal, but that is when I do it by my own means. Someone just handing me the maximum without me earning it is not acceptable to me..."

"As for the option of a counteroffer, I would really choose it, but that was if the third option didn't exist. I like it. Teaming up in that place with a special guest who seems to be very promising and capable, promises to climb from the bottom to the top. Before deciding completely, I want to know. Why were you chosen? While you are clearly someone intelligent and capable, that does not guarantee that you will achieve something in that place. There, you need more than intelligence to prosper," she said while looking at me expectantly for an answer. 

"I can answer most of your questions after you accept the third offer, but it's only because I see that you are interested in that offer is that I will only answer this for now. The things that really differentiate a normal person from someone worthy of being invited with a golden invitation is the person's own capacity, the capacity that makes them stand out above the others, the capacity that one brings from birth or that you have come to know as innate abilities," I said, and when she heard my answer, I saw her hold her breath while her pupils dilated for a moment clearly showing how surprised she was. 

All the Earthlings who go to Lost Paradise know about the status window, and most of them on more than one occasion would have seen that the part of the window that describes innate abilities is always empty. However, it is not because no one has those abilities, but they are so rare, that there are fewer than 10 people who have had them. 

"Well, just with that answer you convinced me. I will accept your third offer. I want a partnership with you based on that place. My terms are simple, I will provide you with information and support you need, in return you will give me priority when looking to negotiate any good object you find in that place. You will also allow me to be your representative in negotiations and as you rise in that place, you will help me rise as well and no matter what happens you will not betray me nor I you, is that clear? If you betray me, I swear I will chase you to the ends of the world to make your life impossibly miserable, do you understand?" she said completely resolved. 

"I understand, but we will not reach those extremes. I am not one of those who betray the trust of others. It will be a pleasure to work with you Miss Kim Hannah," I said and extended my hand and we closed the deal, although this deal cannot be legally backed, it is more based on mutual trust, so I found it funny that she made me that last threat. 

"You can call me Kim Hannah or just Hannah, we will be partners and being very formal I do not like. Now extend your hand, I will put the golden mark on you and remember, from the moment you have the mark you can no longer speak freely of that place, you have to measure your words and change them when referring to that place. If you have a slip of the tongue, the contract will come into force and you will lose your memories," she said while looking for something from her bag, I extended my hand and she sealed it and gave me a letter. 

"Well, read the invitation letter and remember that the entrance will open on the 16th of this month at 10:30 pm. I recommend you to be alone because you will not be summoned to that place if there are people not related to that place present when the time comes," she said seriously. 

I nodded and said, "I understand, but there is something else that I need. I need..."

8