Chapter 1: Lost and Forgotten
402 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry, Razzy :( Doesn’t look like we’ll get back on time ;_; I miss you so much sweetie you can’t even udnerstand pls pls pls stay safe and good okay? Mom is gonna combust if something happenedasdasdasdsasd omg just stay good ok? We’ll be there ASAP!

Stay safe. I miss you.

That was from your dad he also misses you supermuch!

Love you forever, Mom and dad :)))

–A message from mom and dad to Razandra.

 

Whenever she felt scared or had had a nightmare, Raz liked to start her mornings by looking at the pink note where she had scribbled the last few text messages from mom and dad. It was her third most important treasure and helped her remember that they weren’t abandoned, just lost.

Someone was going to come find and get them any day now.

Raz folded the note up and tucked it into the secret pocket of the big red adult’s jacket, her favorite. It reached all the way to her toes and had fluffy fur inside the hood. She put her poodle mittens back on. They weren’t as warm anymore. The lining at fingertips had peeled off in big clumps. Allie had found a pair for bigger girls, but Raz felt like it would somehow be wrong to abandon them.

She patted one poodle with the other, and said,  “New day.”

The room stayed quiet and dark, lit only by a sliver coming through the broken blinds. Two bundles rustled softly in the sleeping corner beside her, breathing. Small cold hands hugged her arm underneath the blanket layers. On the other side, a weight lay on top of her legs. Only large exotic leaves with nubbly spikes on them peeked out from underneath the covers.

Raz tried rolling Avalia off of her. The large friend burrito resisted and grumbled, but flopped off to the side safely.

Avalia made a drowsy sound.

“Soon,” Raz promised. “First Faham.”

“I-I’m fine,” slurred the boy from deep within the covers. “Help Ava first.” He had begun buzzing and vibrating like a bee under the blankets.

“Avalia can wait a second,” said Raz. She stood and began picking up the sleeping blankets, stacking them on top of Faham for extra warmth.

“Bzzz…” Faham’s buzz quieted to a content drone. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” said Raz.

“When it gets warm, I will help,” he said. “I will.”

“I know. When they find us, you can help more.”

“Yes.” Faham went quiet again under his blanket pile, buzzing with quiet determination.

Avalia’s turn was next and helping her was a lot harder. First, Raz had to hope the weather was good and then find a spot with good light. 

She shuffled past piles of foodstuffs, clothes, water bottles, toys, and other important things. They kept everything useful here in the living room, including buckets for pee, so they didn’t have to go out if the day was scary. 

Leather creaked as Raz climbed on a sofa and peeked out through the blinds. The sky didn’t like being looked at. Doing so could be really dangerous. But Raz could tell that it was really beautiful today, because light made colorful glowy swirls on brownish grass, the bramble fence, and the neighbor’s house. Today wasn't super bright, but there were no strange sounds or scary things Raz could spot, which was good. She wasn’t sure if she had courage for two scary days in a row.

Raz hopped down and went to search for good light. The living room had three windows. A big one looking out at the front and one in the kitchen and one small one near the bedroom. All blinds were shut for the nights, because it would be scary if they woke up and saw something standing outside and looking at them. It hadn’t happened yet, but just the idea of it was so horrible that it was better not to risk it.

As for the light situation, the front was usually the best. But today, even after opening the blinds, it let in so little light that the wall of furniture blocking the front door was one big shadow. Kitchen was okay-ish, the floor tiles lit up by lazily shifting patterns of oranges and greens, but it wasn't very bright either. Okay-ish would have to do though. The last window was completely dark.

Raz returned to fetch Allie. She kept her inside the burrito for convenience and rolled her out into the kitchen. It was hard work and Raz was panting by the end. She rested a moment before unwrapping her.

A mass of red leaves with browning tips flopped free, burying the bigger girl’s face. One tufty brow of tiny red needles scrunched up. Groaning, Allie opened one dark yellow eye. She didn’t have a nose anymore, and her skin had turned white-white, except for the legs which were dark purple and sprouted frilly little roots. Raz would never say it again, because she didn’t want to make her upset, but she thought Allie still looked really pretty. 

Allie clicked her tongue. “Too dark.”

“No good light today,” Raz agreed carefully, setting the blanket better for her. 

Allie huffed and grabbed the cover. Her feeble grip tugged against Raz’s.

“I can do it!”

Raz let go. She hovered about awkwardly, watching Allie struggle to make herself comfortable. 

Allie growled and cast her a glare.

Raz turned around to wait, wiggling her mittens about to pass the time.

After much frustration and grunting, Raz heard Allie thump against the floor. She turned. The older girl was laying on her back, arm draped over her eyes. Her lips trembled. The blanket was still stuck under her.

Raz bent to gently wiggle the cover over Allie’s lap body. She didn’t resist this time, but continued to cover her eyes. 

Small sobs made her shiver and through them Raz heard her mutter, “...useless ugly stupid body…”

Raz squeezed her fists, frowning. She wanted to help, but not make it worse… perhaps?

“Yesterday was scary. Can I have a hug?” Raz asked.

Allie wiped her eyes and reached out, grabbing Raz, and pulling her down against her. Her arms were weak but big and wrapped Raz into a tight hug, which Raz returned. Slowly, Allie’s breathing calmed. Her grip loosened.

Raz found herself relaxing too. Maybe she really had needed a hug. They weren’t in a hurry to let go, but, eventually, Raz patted Allie’s shoulder. 

“Thanks,” she murmured into her leaf-hair and stood.

Or tried to, but Allie clung on fiercely!

Raz found her heart ached all of a sudden and she returned to hugging her back. Her eyes blurred too. She wished she was older and smarter and knew what to say, but could only repeat in whisper what mom had said to her, “It’s okay. I’m here.”

They were powerful words, however, and helped Allie calm down. When they let go, Allie’s eyes were puffy and dark green. 

“Lets eat,” said Raz, brushing dust off the red jacket. “Are you hungry?”

Allie nodded. “The light isn’t enough today.”

“Okay. I will bring something.”

Raz waddled over to the big pile of foodstuffs and inspected them. What did they have? Various boxes of kinda empty cereal, one special coke bottle for celebration, mom’s jams, boxed beans, and dry things for baking and stuff. They would soon have to figure out how to eat those, if Raz didn’t find new foods.

She scrubbed some plates mostly clean with the kitchen rag, then created two meals and delivered them. For Allie, she also brought a big glass of water with a straw. Faham didn’t like chewing anymore, so for him Raz mixed some jam and sugar into the water. She sat beside him to eat today, because Allie had already received a big hug, and Raz thought he might be lonely.

“Filet Mingopongpong,” Raz explained fancily when she offered Faham his drink.

Small hands covered in a shiny black shell reached out and took it inside the blankets. “I’ve never had it!” Faham said. “What is it?”

“It’s made up, duh,” Allie groaned, spooning up her Filet Mingopongpong.

“Every dish is made up,” said Raz. She continued speaking like a fancy chef, “This one is, ah, as you can see, freshly picked berries from last year smunched up with special rare edition risotto crisps.”

Allie snorted. 

“Mm! Very sweet,” said Faham.

“Special rare edition,” Raz explained.

After some quiet eating, Allie asked, “Do you think pizza still exists?”

“I believe,” Faham replied quickly. “They wouldn’t forget about pizza.”

“It must still exist,” Raz agreed.

“They’d need cows,” Allie said smugly.

Faham made a thoughtful humm. “You think there’s no cows?”

“Well, even if they don’t have them. You can make other kinds of cheese,” said Raz. “And… Oh! Maybe they have magical cows.”

“Magical cows?”

“Yes!”

Allie scoffed.

“What do you think they are like?” Faham asked.

“Hmm.” Raz tapped a finger to her chin and furrowed her brows, thinking hard. “Large and fluffy, but also good climbers to escape the mages when they don’t wanna be milked.”

“Ooh…”

Allie suppressed a chuckle.

“And their cheese?”

“Maybe Allie can figure it out,” Raz suggested.

She made a face. “Me?”

“Yeah. It’s your turn to think of food tomorrow. You can make us magic cow pizza.”

“Magic cow pizza!” Faham buzzed excitedly.

Allie groaned, rolling her eyes. “Sure. Whatever.”

They finished Filet Mingopongpong, and it was time for Raz to do more stuff. She made sure Faham had another bottle for stinky stuff and Allie had a blanket in case she got cold. Then she prepared for the exploration mission.

First, protection. The biggest dangers, according to the radio mister, were getting lost and looking at something you shouldn’t. For this, Raz had a baseball cap and a bundle of string tied to her belt. The radio mister said weapons were useless, but Raz still liked to carry the nice stick she had found some time ago. For courage, if nothing else. On top of these preparations, she also picked up an empty bucket to carry loot.

“All ready to go!” Raz patted herself for double checking.

“Bye.”

“Don’t get hurt!”

“I won’t!”

She slipped out the door and closed it softly behind her, making sure the string didn’t snap. Smallsparrow Street was empty as usual. The only sound was the distant crackling in the sky. Pavement had bumps. Gardens were either in a wild riot or withering. Small one storey homes of brick and wood stood abandoned, black windows facing the street, doors ajar. A few cars were parked on the street. Weird lights from above wobbled over everything. It was pretty and reminded Raz of underwater and disco balls. 

And there, in the corner of Raz’s vision, behind the houses and backyards of Smallsparrow Street, writhed the edge. Raz thought it looked sorta like a cartoon-bright jungle of writhy shapes, only darker and scarier than any cartoon. 

“Keep your eyes in the real world. Keep your feet in the real world. Always check the safety line,” Raz recited the radio man’s mantra. She took a deep breath. “It’s safe. We’re alone here. There’s nothing scary in the houses. Nothing scary. It’s just an adventure.”

“Just an adventure,” she repeated, trying to trick herself to be more excited like mom had sometimes done. “Mm-mm, today’s smelling great too. I think it’s Raz’s lucky day. Today I’ll find candy and maybe even video games!”

It would be amazing. Raz could only imagine the faces Allie and Faham would make if she brought back a working console.

She marched across the street, took a moment to ponder which houses to do today, and settled on the big white one. Its door opened silently, greeting Raz with musty old-people smell. Fishing gear and rubber wellies filled the cramped hallway. The home beyond was quiet and dim.

Raz snuck deeper, steps mose-quiet on the rag-ruts. Her eyes darted about between cabinets, where glass animals glistened in the faint light of outdoors, and the furniture that the light made look like it was moving even when it wasn’t.

“Nothing scary,” Raz whispered.

Her step made a floorboard moan.

Raz yelped!

She stepped on it again and realized it was just the floorboard. Still, her heart tried to beat itself out of her chest.

“Nothing scary.” Raz giggled, relieved. “Just a fun adventure.”

She made the floor groan a few more times to reassure herself, then searched for loot. Sadly, the place had no video games. Only an old laptop, which had no battery. Sadly, the bookshelf was also full of depressing old-people-books like military, history, and murder mystery stuff. However, by climbing on the shelves and rummaging everything thoroughly, Raz did find something in the kitchen. Behind pickled olives (yuck), was a gift bag with three whole bags of tyrkisk peber hard candy and a gift wrapped present. What a find!

Something tumbled out when Raz retrieved the gifts. A card with a cartoon scientist on it.

“Happy 16th birthday, little Roy,” it read.

Raz studied the card, her earlier cheer sliding into a frown. She wondered if little Roy had been luckier than them. She hoped so. He probably wouldn’t have minded if Raz took the gift and candy. Sixteen year olds were almost adults, too mature to be fussy over gifts.

She left with her loot. However, they also needed more water, so Raz made a quick trip to the fantasy house two homes further. It was a normal red brick house, not an actual wizard house or anything. But the person who had lived there had put a lot of huge pin-boards, which were full of pretty drawings of wondrous creatures and people and places with small notes on them like.

“Calitorn, the King of Forest. 2nd Love interest. Brooding. Scary ancient spirit. Driven by the tragic oath he swore to the Primordial Divinities. Thinks of MC as his cute misguided squirrel. Good Ending: Becomes mortal for the MC. Bad ending ???” 

This note hung beneath the drawing of a beautiful antlered man in a gown. The question marks were underscored thrice.

Besides the boards, the house also had a ton of very suspect romance magazines featuring anime boys, a fancy computer and consoles (which sadly didn’t work), and whole packages of fancy water bottles. They all had a big red-white bunny logo and ‘BunnyBlush Studios’ on them.

Raz took as many as she could carry in her bucket and pockets, which was seven, and scuttled back home. The lights hadn’t changed much while she had been inside. They were maybe a little faster than before, a little brighter too. Good for Allie.

She gathered the safety string in a hurry while glancing around, then slipped back and slammed the door.

Safe.

Raz let out a breath, smiling. “I’m back!” 

“Welcome back,” said Faham.

Allie made a grunting noise from her spot.

Raz went to unload water bottles. “Hey, guess what I found.”

“Well, what?” Allie asked flatly.

“Guess.”

“Can you give us a hint?” Faham asked.

“No, because I don’t know either.” Raz pulled out the three bags of candy and Roy’s gift. “It’s a surprise gift and tyrkisk pebers! Do you guys wanna open it?”

“Whoa!”

Allie opened her eyes and stared at the loot intently.

Faham was buzzing excitedly, tripping over his words, “A gift, what do you think is inside? Give it a shake. Give it a shake we can guess by the sound.”

Raz turned the gift. Something within slid from one side of the box to the other. She gave it a shake. Something big-ish thunked against cardboard. You could also hear the rustle of plastic.

“Aahhh!” Faham squealed. “A card game. It’s a board game. Or maybe some lego blocks. Perhaps a plastic plane model, or-or a tank, or figurine, or miniatures. Could you give it another wiggle? I need to hear the sound again.”

Raz gave it another slow turn and a bit more vigorous wiggle. Stuff inside shuffled.

Allie snorted and rolled her eyes, but kept smiling.

“I know. It’s… No, I just don’t know. Gotta be a game of some sort. Has to be. What are you guys guesses?”

Allie shrugged. “Dunno.”

“You have to guess,” Faham insisted.

“Everyone guesses,” agreed Raz. 

Allie blew out a long breath. “Okay. It’s a book or something boring.”

“Allie try properly!”

Raz cut in, “I think it’s a chemistry set.”

“A chemistry set? Why would it be a chemistry set?” Faham asked.

Raz poked her tongue at him.

“You. You know something,” he said. 

Raz wiggled her head innocently.

“Cheat! Raz is cheating!”

“Oh no, Raz is cheating in a guessing game of what’s in the box. How will we ever recover,” droned Allie, deadpan.

“Dirty, dirty cheat-Raz. Dirty dirty cheat!” Faham buzzed with mock outrage.

Raz cackled. “Here, apology candy.” 

She gave Faham one bag and opened one for Allie, then tore open her own and popped a black hard candy in her mouth. Sweet, salty licorice goodness spread around her mouth. Her lips puckered up already in anticipation of the sour core.

Allie crunched one down, then another, then a third. Faham, meanwhile, licked on his quietly.

“Apology accepted,” he said.

“Mmmh.” Allie bit through another. “Just open it already.”

Raz set it down in a spot that both kids could see. She took a knife to the tape and tore off the wrapping paper, revealing small foldable binoculars and a big fat book titled Birdspotter’s Atlas.

Raz tried to cling onto her excited smile as she lifted the items up for the others’. “It’s uh… yeah.”

“Knew it,” said Allie.

“Birdwatcher’s Atlas,” repeated Faham. “Not many birds around to spot anymore.”

“None.”

“Yeah.” Raz sighed, setting the book down. Only then did she notice an old tape recorder and extra batteries. She picked it gingerly and pressed the play button.

Joyful chirps filled the room.

She let it play, and they all listened. Allie no longer made her candies crunch. When the chirps ended, there was a short crackle, and a different bird began making stretched out clug-clug noises.

Raz opened the book. It was full of big pictures of forests and cute little birds with a ton of information about them all. 

“There’s a note here,” she said, reading. “It says where you can find each bird on the tape.”

“How many extra batteries are there, do you think we can listen to them all?”

“Four batteries.” Raz inspected the tape recorder. “It eats one battery at a time. I think they last like a million years. Boomer technology.”

“Boomer technology,” Faham repeated sagely.

“The picture.” Allie gestured for Raz to bring it closer. She did. Allie looked at the round little red-chested bird, then nodded. “Not bad.”

“Can I see? I want to see. I wanna see!”

“I can bring you back to the sleeping corner, if you’ve had enough light, and we can all look,” Raz said to Allie,who grunted yes.

After soaking it in all day, Allie had a bit more strength and was able to crawl over so Raz only had to move her bedding. She then made her own bed and they gathered to study the birds for a bit before the night radio.

It was always on. The radio seemed to also never run out of battery, which was good, because together with today’s find, it was the last thing still working and really important for keeping up cheer and hope. Most of the day, the radio didn’t make a peep, but around evening, it often crackled to life with the news, music, and sometimes even talk shows. They weren’t usually meant for kids, but Raz found trying to figure out details about the Oor and Magogram and wizards from the hints kinda exciting. 

The radio crackled to life in the middle of duck noises. Slow pompous music began playing.

“There’s radio today!” Faham cheered. 

Raz clicked the tape recorder off and put the book away. She grinned. “A really great day.”

Allie made an agreement sound.

The song was a bit of a downer though. It was long-winded and slow, and made Raz think of church. Not at all like the usual songs.

“That was the March of the Lost composed by Ji Wung and performed by the Found Voices orchestra of New Europe. On behalf of the Earth Public Station, I thank you for the thoughtful piece of art. You’ve captured the emotions of all nations in your song. You have,” said the deep soothing voice of the radio mister. 

“Now, we’ve heard the emotions of our fellow refugees, we’ve heard the official Magogram stance, and we’ve learned the Association’s true colors. But let's take a break and listen to the thoughts of an ordinary wizard of Oor, someone who should be familiar to most folks here at New Europe. I’m speaking, of course, of none other than, Miss. Ndevel, our local liaison of the Healers Beyond Worlds, a philanthropist, savior, wizard extraordinaire, and overall gorgeous human being. It is an honor, as always.”

“Mr. Jonathan, please,” said an amused voice of a mom-aged woman. She had that accent that all mages had, one that made their words feel weirdly heavy no matter their voice. “One more word of praise and I’m leaving.”

“Wizard!” Faham whisper-shouted, excited.

“Awesome,” Raz whispered, shooting him a grin. Tonight was extra lucky!

Allie hissed them to be quiet, her eyes focused.

“I will respect your request,” replied Mr. Jonathan, ”but I will have you know that it is difficult to hold back.”

Miss Ndvevel chuckled softly. “Thank you, for being you. I needed…” Her tone went serious. “My apologies, Mr. Jonathan, it would be selfish to speak of my needs tonight.”

“Please, it has been quite the day for you too, I’m sure.”

“Classic Twinday,” she sighed. “Chaos happens, wizards fuck shit up, and Magogram decides to use it as an excuse to punish everyone else.“

“Am I to understand that you do not agree with their decision?”

“I could not come up with a more idiotic and less psychopathic move if I had my soul removed. I could not come up with a more direct violation of all the duties of Magogram if I tried. How this went through? I just cannot… Why do you think we’re protesting? No one with a soul agrees with this.”

“I’ve got to say, the Oorian response has been touching. Thank you.”

“This is nothing. If the vrizac pinnh o Revaz–”

“Excuse me, you’re slipping back into Sovereign. Can we keep it in English for our listeners?”

She cleared her throat. “Riots. I do not threaten High Circle with riots, but I say there will be riots on the streets of Magogram unless they renege this.”

“Strong words.”

“And I will speak stronger ones before this is over. Ending all evacuation efforts because one mentally broken altered accidentally hurts a Magogram brat, after thousands and thousands of similar incidents get swept under and forgiven, is…” Her breath trembled with anger. “I won’t let this stand. I won’t. And millions agree with me.”

“Thank you.” Mr. Jonathan took a deep breath. “Thank you for your friendship. And thank you for your time, Miss. Ndevel. I’m sure your words have given courage to those of us who fear we stand alone.”

“Plenty of us honor the duties, even if Magogram forgets them. That much I promise you. Farewell, Mr. Jonathan. May we meet next under more auspicious fates.”

“Take care Miss. Ndevel… And she is gone. Miss. Ndevel, gentlefolk. I do hope her words provide some hope to what may feel like a second end to many. Whatever happens, we must remember that many Oorians stand with us in this tragedy. And, in the spirit of that solidarity, let’s turn to a piece that echoes resilience and friendship across the worlds. Up next, we have the Call of da Resonance by the Punk Bards Fucklaws. Stay tuned for more news and topical interviews, and let the music give you hope.”

“Ayyyyyyeee~ I feel my brother caaaall,” began the handsome wizard man’s voice. “Acroooss Un the infinite, from a world faaar faaar awaaaaayyy-yyyy…”

The song sounded so brave and uplifting.

They listened to it quietly.

Then, the radio mister continued with some news about this altered refugee who had assaulted the Magogram wizard. A law wizard had arrested him. It sounded like everyone had different opinions on what should happen to him.

“Law magic sounds really interesting,” said Faham. “Do you think they control natural laws or–”

“Shut. Up,” snapped Allie.

Faham made a startled sound. “Wha-wa… I… Ahm…”

Allie glared at him, her fists shaking, eyes burning with tears.

“Allie…” Raz said, but found her voice choking under emotion. 

“S-sorry, what did I say?”

Raz cleared her throat, but she failed to make her voice clear, “They stopped rescuing people.”

She tried to keep her breathing steady and blink away the blurring world.

“That’s…” Faham paused, confused. “What does it mean?”

Allie kicked an empty bottle, screaming. “Means we’re dead!”

“It doesn’t,” Raz said. It couldn’t.

“Nobody’s coming for us.”

“Allie, you can’t say that!” cried Faham.

Raz’s nose twitched. She hated Allie’s tone. “Shut up.”

“We’re dead.”

“Allie, stop.” Faham sobbed.

She shouted something back in return.

“Can you…” Raz clutched her head. “Shhh! I’m trying to think!”

“Nobody’s coming. You heard it! There, listen…”

The radio mister spoke in the background and explained how neither Association nor Magogram had commented on their ‘controversial statement’.

“He said it again,” said Allie, grinning an ugly grin. “What’s there to think about?”

Faham was crying non-stop now, begging for them to stop arguing.

Raz snarled at Allie. “Well maybe you should try thinking for once? Huh?! Stupid!”

“Idiot! Moron! Stupid-stupid Raz!”

Vision swimming, chest so tight she could not breathe, Raz wheezed a tiny scream in Allie’s face and stood and stomped out and into her room. 

Allie shouted something at her so Raz put hands on her ears and shut her eyes. Her breath came in quick shallow gasps, making her dizzy. She couldn’t think. She couldn’t move. She couldn’t do anything but rock in place and hold herself and hope it went away, but it felt like it lasted forever, and she feared it might never go away.

But then, slowly, her breathing calmed. A smoldering heat replaced helplessness. Stupid Allie, she thought, stuupid, always getting mad over dumb things and making Faham cry for no reason. For a moment, she hated no one as much as Allie. For a moment, she wished Allie was gone and it was just the two of them.

But that thought made her chest hurt and her eyes tingle. Raz wiped snot and tears on the old bedsheet, then sneezed at the dust, and continued crying.

Two muffled voices joined her in the other room.

Raz went blind with tears. She didn’t want Allie gone. She didn’t want anyone gone anymore ever. She just wanted everyone back, mama and papa most of all. Raz whimpered, clutching the pain in her chest. It hurt. She wanted them back. They promised. They would never ever promise to find her and not keep their word. And she wanted granny too and neighbor Eve and Tom and Mark from school and their parents too, and everyone else. She just wanted people she loved back, was it too much to wish for?

Her face was puffy and wet again. Raz wiped it on the same dusty sheet and sneezed all over again.

She didn’t hate Allie. She loved Allie and Faham. She hated those stupid Magogram and the idiot altered criminal whose fault it all was and everyone who said they stopped evacuations. 

Why couldn’t they have rescued just a few more and found them? It wasn’t fair. Why couldn’t they get to live in Oor and meet wizards and get help and food and all that stuff? Did they do something wrong? But Raz had tried so hard to do everything right. She had done everything like the radio mister taught.

She pondered what she could’ve done wrong or differently, until her thoughts were all so fogged up they didn’t make sense anymore.

“It’s no good,” she whispered to herself.

Oh, her eyelids were sleepy too. And she was a bit chilly. Faham!

Raz clambered up on numb legs. She needed to make sure Faham wasn’t cold. But she didn’t wanna talk to Allie, so she eased the door open all sneaky-sneaky and peeked at the sleeping corner.

The two were quiet. Good.

Raz tip-toed over, hesitated a little bit, and then settled back into her spot between them. She looked at the new dark green areas around Allie’s closed eyes and felt a pang of guilt. It had been a dumb argument.

“Sorry,” Raz whispered to her sleeping friends. She didn’t know what was going to happen to them, or if anything would ever happen to them, but she didn’t want to lose her two most precious things. “Sorry, I really love you. Don’t be mad when you wake up please.”

Allie’s neck moved. Her lips trembled. The bigger girl mumbled as if she was sleeping and reached out to take Raz’s hand.

From the other side, the sniffling little ball of blankets reached out to hug her.

Raz’s heart leapt up high. She sucked in a sniffle and held them back. She was so glad to have them.

Next morning, Raz didn’t feel like waking up at all. It was really really bright though, so she had to at least roll Allie to a good spot, which she did.

“Hey,” Allie said as Raz was about to return to bed.

“Yeah?”

“Your note.”

Raz took it out. “What about it?”

“Borrow it.” Allie held out a hand. Her eyes stared at a wall away from Raz.

Raz wasn’t sure why Allie wanted it, but they weren’t fighting so it was safe to give it. “Here.”

Allie accepted the note with a serious face. “I will keep it safe.”

Raz nodded. She left Allie to study the text from her parents and slept, until they had to eat. Allie tried really hard to describe wizard pizza with magic cow cheese, though it did not help make food tastier like it used to. 

Faham asked if they could listen to some birds, so they did, while sharing the last of the tyrkisk pebers. Nobody said anything before bed time.

Allie returned the note only after Faham had started buzzing sleepily. “Here.”

“Thanks.” Raz folded it back into its hiding spot.

Allie leaned against her, staring at the empty food boxes, fingers nervously tugging at the tiny roots on her knees. She licked her lips.

Raz yawned. Sleep was coming and she wanted to at least dream of Oor, so she closed her eyes. “Good night.”

“Raz,” said Allie.

Raz breathed in and out, then fought back the sleep. “Mmhm?”

“You aren’t stupid.”

“Thanks? You too aren’t stupid.”

Allie snorted.

Raz waited a moment, then, when she thought Allie was done, she closed her eyes.

“I…” Allie paused.

Raz yawned again, but stayed awake for Allie.

“I daydreamed about being you.”

Raz blinked at the dark ceiling. “Okay.”

Neither said anything, until the pause became uncomfortable.

Raz was about to ask why, when Allie spoke.

“Just wish I was you instead of me.”

What to reply? None of mom’s words fit. 

“I sleep now. Night,” said Allie and made herself comfortable.

After mulling it over for like an hour or two, Raz didn’t know what to think yet, but she couldn’t stay awake either.

Next day, Raz tried to explore, but it felt more difficult than usual. In the evening, the radio crackled on. They had a lot to say about protests, nothing about evacuations continuing. Faham cried again and Raz regretted turning on the radio.

Allie wanted to borrow the note again in the morning. Faham studied the bird book. Raz didn’t know what to do so she kept doing her chores the best she could.

Day after, when the radio crackled, Raz turned it off.

Some time, maybe a week later, she realized nobody had said anything in a whole day. When she brought it up, everyone agreed to come up with some way to maintain their spirits. However, the following day was a scary one–dark and full of moaning from outside, with windows and walls rattling–so the idea was forgotten.

They ran out of cereal and beans. Jams went moldy. Flour and spices in water were okay-ish in a pinch, though they made Raz’s tummy hurt a bit afterwards. Allie said she was fine with just light, and Raz believed her.

One day, Raz carried back all the water so she wouldn’t have to explore anymore.

Later on, on many days, she wasn’t sure what happened and what didn’t, because she spent all day lying in her bed daydreaming. Her knees and elbows had started hurting a bit, and her stomach did too almost every day. Daydreaming helped distract her from it.

She dreamt about a lot of stuff, but most of all about joining Oor with mom and papa and Faham and Allie. Mom decided to adopt Faham and Allie, which they accepted. Then they all became wizards. Sometimes Raz became a law wizard and made a new law that said everyone was saved, or everyone was rescued. Other times, she became a time wizard and rolled back time to fix Earth and make everything good again. Or a healer wizard, like Miss Ndevel. She became a healer wizard mighty enough to make Allie and Faham and everyone like them normal again, and also powerful enough to heal Earth.

She also dreamt about others coming to find them. Raz started sharing those with Allie and Faham to try to maybe give them some hope, because they hadn’t said anything for a really long time.

“...in a big boat to gather aaaaall the lost people. A party boat. There’ll be confetti and presents for all the missed birthdays. And real birds too. You’ll love it, Faham.”

Smiling, Raz paused to let Faham reply.

He did not.

Neither did Allie.

Raz didn’t dare to check if they were okay, but Faham hadn’t buzzed for a whilebit. And, in the corner of her eye, she could see the leaves all brown and crumbly thin. Something ugly squirmed inside her chest.

Maybe if she didn’t open her eyes she could escape.

Distant voices somewhere far away.

Dry grass crunching under approaching footsteps. 

A woman’s voice.

The footsteps distanced. 

Headache and dry sticky tongue bullied Raz awake. She tried to keep her eyes closed a little while longer. It didn’t help. Too thirsty.

Groaning, Raz reached for a bottle and drank some. It felt oddly heavy and the cap super tight, but she got it open and drank some. Her head still hurt though.

Laughter, boisterous. A man’s.

Raz looked at the streak of weird lights sneaking through the blinds. It seemed like this was one of the rescue dreams. Not as fun as the ones where they lived on Oor, but at least it wasn’t a nightmare so that was something.

Playing along, Raz stood up and announced, “New day.”

After some searching, she found her explorer gear, and then embarked on the dream adventure. One step outside and she was squinty-eyed. It was a medium bright day.

When her eyes adjusted she found Smallsparrow Street had shrunk. Backyard was gone, as was the neighbor at the end and two neighbors near where the entrance had been. Plants had sprouted in weird shapes. Roof tiles and bricks had gotten frilly, and the little stiff frills all reached up at the sky. The street had strange footprints in it from the time Raz had dreamt of something big walking outside.

Voices drifted from behind a corner. One spoke fast and excited, slapped something, and laughed. Another made a dry reply. They both had that weighty voice of wizards.

Raz picked up a kitchen knife in case the dream decided to become a nightmare and approached the sounds.

Creeping around the corner, she spied upon four strange people. They had a lamp that made colors look normal again. 

Closest to Raz sat a man in a fancy dark blue uniform. His hair and stubble were gold blonde. Gold trinkets hung on his chest. Next to him, the other man looked like a starving brown thrift store coat-rack.

Two women sitting next to them were both dressed in bodysuits and cloaks. All black. They had military harnesses full of gadgets. One was really big in every way and had a ridiculously big cannon-broom thingy with her. The smaller, regular sized lady, wore a blindfold with three glowing green dots on it. 

Every one of them wore fancy and well decorated pointy hats of wizards.

Blindfolded lady shook her head, when the more handsome man offered her sympathy. Then, the big lady’s eyes met Raz’s.

She said a word in wizard.

The wizards went very still.

Raz said, “Hi.”

All four reached for various trinkets. Four colors of light lit up four pairs of eyes, each full of strange shapes.

Mr. Goldbeard spoke in a friendly sounding voice. Nothing made sense, but that happens in dreams.

Raz shrugged. “Me no habla wizardo.”

Thrifstore whispered something.

The masked lady replied curtly.

Thriftstore made the white light blink quickly.

Raz blinked, annoyed.

The wizards relaxed. Masked lady collapsed with much noise. Goldhair looked like he’d swallowed the entire morning news backwards, he was that shocked. Magic was gone from his eyes, replaced by sadness, or maybe guilt.

Thrifstore started to speak, but Goldhair’s gesture quieted him. The taller man stood to approach Raz with a heartbroken smile. She ogled at his uniform, fluttery cloak, and fancy trinkets, congratulating her imagination for all the details on his outfit. Amazing graphics! Best dream in a long while. She’d tell Allie and Faham all about this.

“Hallo good to meet,” Goldhair said in a thick wizard accent. “I named Maroque M. Magogram, a wizard from place Oor. What is little friend name?”

He offered a hand, palm up. Up close, he smelled of Christmas spices. 

“Raz.” After a moment, she added, “Razandra Hopkins, Earthperson.”

She grabbed a few of his fingers. So warm. So real. Something felt off about this dream. 

“Raz, me and friends take you Oor. Many others from Earth. Many friends. Sound good?”

“You speak weird.” She reached out to touch his trinkets. Too real. 

“No fear or worry,” said the man quickly. Had she made a weird face? “Help only. Help good.”

Raz’s heart leapt. Her head felt foggy, weird, uncertain. She looked at the man’s pores and nose hairs, then at the familiar stains on her gloves, then at the wizard again. She reached out and he let her pat his stubble. 

Just like papa’s. Dreams had never let her touch his beard.

“B-but…” Raz swallowed and found a lump in her throat. Her voice was shivering. “Nobody is coming. They said nobody would come.”

The wizard pulled her into a huge hug. So warm. 

“Very brave Raz, very brave for living, but it is ok. Help here now.” He swallowed thickly. “Help here now.”

So tight.

 So very real.

Help had come.

They had been found.

World started to blur even though Raz blinked really hard. She tried to speak, but her voice was gone.

“Is ok.” He picked her up and carried her towards other wizard-shaped smudges. “Come. Have food, very tasty. Thirsty? Hurt?”

Raz didn’t care about any of those things. She tried to tell him that Allie and Faham needed help first, but failed again. Frustrated, she growled.

“Is okay.” He rubbed her shoulder. “All okay.”

She pointed at home. “Friends. Hurt.”

There was a poof of darkness in her vision.

Then, a moment later, a wizard appeared with two bundles. Raz started reaching out for them and howling, trying to make the wizards help her precious friends. They had to, somehow. They had to, with magic.

Wizards were speaking in serious voices, arguing. Goldbeard mister got angry at Thrifstore.

One of them unbundled Faham. Pollen filled Raz’s nose as the wizard revealed a small boy. He had two antennae poking out of a big black fluffy afro that also surrounded his shoulders, a body covered in shiny yellow-black plates, a split jaw, and one bumblebee wing. He hugged several plushies but didn’t move.

Raz made non-person noises, struggling to breathe. Heal! Help!

“Is ok,” Maroque assured softly. “Both alive.”

“R-really?”

“Alive. Will be safe.”

Raz let out a big cry of relief.

“Watch them. I must magic,” said Maroque and placed Raz near the two.

She grabbed onto both.

Wizards were wrapping some film around them, treating them. They also gave Raz water and a suspicious energy bar that tasted like chicken. She never let go of Faham or Allie, however.

Not even when Maroque’s cloak and coat and pointy hat billowed and, in a blink of an eye, golden shapes and magic bloomed out of him to engulf Raz, wizards, and everything from here to the edge. Her eyes cleared from tears as the droplets floated away. Gigantic gold and red curtains of mist twirled and pirouetting slowly all over the Smallsparrow Street. Grass danced with them. Loose rocks and broken things joined them in the air. Gentle pressures of the magical light made Raz’s coat and hair float.

She let out a gasp, following the path of red twirls that lifted up Faham’s plushies and made them prance around her. Then held her breath as a golden curtain swept through them all, lifted off all the muck and dirt from their clothes and bodies, and vanished it all in a cloud of sparkles, leaving behind a crisp scent of cinnamon, clove, and Christmas.

Raz made a giddy noise, then laughed.

“It is what wizards call wonderfield. Garden of soul. Beautiful, yes?” Maroque looked at her. His eyes were gold and his pupils branching, spreading out to fill the whites. Still, he did not look scary at all with that smile. “Not scared anymore?”

Raz forgot to shake her head, she just stared in awe. The wispy shapes were coming from him, lifting off of Maroque like outlines and spreading out. “So pretty!”

He laughed, grin widening. “Yes, yes. Good! Brave little Raz! Now, want to see magic, yes?”

Raz nodded as fast and aggressively as she could.

Maroque chuckled.

Faham’s plushies arranged themselves before Raz and stared forward, beyond the edge. She quickly averted her gaze.

“Is safe! Safe,” Maroque assured. “No worry inside wonderfield. Look, promise it beautiful.”

Warily, Raz looked up.

The ‘bubble’ of gold and red made everything beyond its bubble sorta wonky and distant. Beyond it, sceneries swooshed by so fast they melted into streaks of color, glimpses of shapes, and speeding lights. Hundreds, thousands of them, like the sky was full of shooting stars.

Raz also felt a tug in her tummy as if she was riding a rollercoaster. They were going fast! “Weee! Hehehe!”

Bandaged fingers tightened around her thumb. Faham blinked, confused. “Where?”

“On a wizard train,” said Raz, eyes wet but still laughing. “They found us. We’re going home, Faham. We’re going home.”

But, even if it had been a dream, Raz would have been content. She couldn’t remember ever witnessing such an amount of joy as she did when Faham’s plushies began dancing around him.

 

I hope you will enjoy this! Please favorite and rate high if you do, it helps a ton with others finding this fic! Release schedule may be a bit sporadic while I build backlog for RR release. The patreon is about 10 chapters ahead of current. For now, I publish one chapter here for every two I manage to write.

Also, join my discord!

15