10. The Girl Who Has Everything To Offer
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I darted past fallen crates and empty stalls. The sound of boots pounded loudly against the gravel behind me as I ran through the streets of Cassanova the following evening. A hand suddenly grabbed my wrist and yanked me out of my pursuers path into a quiet alley.

A husky breath hovered near my ear and sent a shiver down my neck. “Don’t move,” the man warned. However this wasn’t just any man, I recognized the familiar voice and let my shoulders fall in ease, knowing I was in safe hands.

Moments later my pursuer went charging past with a face of seething rage. I was barely aware of the abnormal drumming in my chest as I honed my breathing to a still. The man soon disappeared on another path.

Damn that was close. All I wanted was to buy some fruit but that man kept asking for more until my pockets were empty. It was practically a robbery in broad daylight. When I had nothing left, he looked me over like I was his new paycheck. If I hadn’t taken off when I did that could’ve ended very badly. My nerves were still unsettled to be observed like a toy.

“Cass.”

That single word drove me mad with an itch I couldn’t quite place. “It’s okay,” I told him with a sigh. “We’re fine, that’s what matters.”

Aiden got closer, peering at my expression with worry. He finally sighed, “You're so stubborn sometimes.”

His green eyes were so close that I had to look away. He wore such an earnest expression.

“Why did you throw them away? I’m only a servant.”

I went around him, evading the question I dare not answer. “They were nothing that mattered anyway.”

He muttered something incomprehensible behind me.

To hear him be this upset made me want to tease him. “Who’s really in charge here? I do wonder, my young disciple.”

“Cass,” Aiden almost whined this time. “As if you ever doubted,” he perked up and gave me a half grin. With his arms folded, he stood in a proud way that made him seem slightly taller then myself. Actually he may have always been that tall, I just didn’t noticed until now. He had always seemed like a kid in my eyes.

Pulling my cloak over my head, I mumbled something about puberty and left the alleyway in a rush.

Aiden leisurely appeared by my side, “You know no matter how far you run I will still find you.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, not slowing down in the slightest. Walking fast felt really nice right now. The feeling of the wind felt like the freedom that I lost. He can think I’m running away, see if I care.

Faintly I heard him laugh. The sound put me at ease. For just a moment I let myself embrace this feeling of happiness. The sky was turning a beautiful shade of blue with the day brimming to a close and the cobblestone streets began to glisten under the moonlight. The smell of flowers was faint but pleasant to the senses.

We stopped in front of a grand manor, one that I was familiar with in political nature. The residences of this house would attend the annual balls my father hosted to keep good relations with the citizens. It was a spectacular event with the flowers in full bloom and people dressing up and eating good food. I would always sneak downstairs and enjoy a meal with Aiden under the moon. We did so every year, however, since the decline of our economy, many people have stopped attending. I knew this house was an exception and they clearly favored my family. I realized perhaps I stopped here more intentionally than I thought.

“Aiden, do you suppose…” I let my words hang in the air with an unfinished thought. If I dared to go down this road of the novel, what outcome would await me?

Aiden bowed with a hand upon his chest. "On your lead, my liege."

In other words, he was saying I should do what I want and he would always follow. I carried not only the fate of the citizens on my shoulders but this loyal friend beside me. The weight of my decisions were becoming more severe and I should take them seriously.

"Hello? Who are you?" A small voice said, answering the door. A moment later she blurted out, "YOUR HIGHNESS!!" The girl who had opened the door suddenly bowed so deeply I thought her knees would crack.

Aiden held his mouth shut, trying not to laugh.

Meanwhile, I was in a state of shock that she recognized my face when I was revealed so little in public. No, rather I couldn’t believe it, but perhaps logic doesn’t really apply here since this was not an ordinary girl.

She carefully stood but dared not to raise her head, appearing very timid. "Your highness, please forgive me! I wasn’t expecting guests tonight."

I suddenly felt guilty coming by unannounced, especially so late in the day. I tried to smile at the young girl in a regretful manner. "No, I should apologize for my carelessness. Is it too late to come in?"

“No, your highness. I’ll have to wake my Lady since she’s gone to bed.”

“That’s quite alright, we can just speak with you.”

Her eyes widened and her face went ghastly white. Finding her voice again, she tripped over her words. “M-me? I’m a servant, your highness you must be mistaken.” She swept us inside. "Right this way, I’ll only be a moment.”

The hallway was quite grand.

She burst into a delighted sigh, unable to hold back any longer. “I can't believe I got to meet his royal highness! I have been a supporter of yours for a long time. No one knows what you look like, but people gossip. Every young woman always dreams of seeing such a handsome face."

Aiden shot her a glare, which in turn made me look away, coughing hysterically. Is it warm in here? I replaced my look with a smile when the young maiden turned my way. "You honor me too much. My knight is far more admirable. People call him one of the most eligible young bachelors in the land."

Aiden’s face paled so fast one could think he was actually in pain.

The young maiden quickly blinked at him, almost as if considering him for the first time. Her eyes squinted, then widened. Then squinted as if taking him in again. "You are right, he is handsome."

I nearly burst out laughing at Aiden’s look of disgust. My smile was so wide I was certain my hand couldn’t even cover it. Being led into the living room, I suddenly remembered last night and my amusement faded. "How is your arm by the way?"

"It’s simply nothing that mattered anyway." He mimicked what I assumed was my voice.

I suddenly regretted asking. "Oh shut up."

The young maiden giggled at our bantering and we both turned away embarrassed. Seeing an opportunity that he apparently couldn’t pass up to annoy me further, Aiden broke into a story he knew quite well that had the girl glued to her seat.

"After that he almost took my arm off. He hasn't touched a bow since." Aiden recollected.

What sudden brazen behavior. "I take back what I said, we have more eligible bachelors."

A smile broke out on Aiden’s face and he bit back his laughter. "Eligible or almost arm less?"

"Headless if you don't stop," I warned haughtily under my breath.

Aiden coughed and sat up straight like a pure warmhearted young lad. “Hello, my Lady.”

The woman smiled curtly at the both of us as she entered the room. "Welcome your royal highness." She didn’t bow and instead stiffly stood at the entrance. "My name is Maria Winter and that young girl beside you is my housemaid Luna. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

Hmm, maybe less agreeable than I originally thought. "You have a lovely home." I chose to say, looking around at the spotless sitting room around us. "I’ll cut straight to the point so as to not disturb your rest any further. Might I inquire if you have business beyond these walls sometime soon?"

Maria pondered with a hand propped under her chin, "No, but my husband is away on business. He travels beyond Calhoun Sea selling silk, wool, and iron goods."

I nodded in understanding. "Sounds like an exciting business. Do you ever wish to join him? I hear the weather is beautiful around this time of year." I spoke in an enticing sort of way, showing interest, but not prodding too far.

Maria eyed me with an inquisitiveness that could be placed on a cat.

Adjusting my coat, I added, "Your neighbors too. I think it's time they smell the fresh air, wouldn’t you say?"

A smile reached her lips in understanding, "Yes, your highness, I think we could arrange that."

I smiled warmly at her response. "I won't forget you Maria, it was a pleasure to talk with you."

"Likewise, your highness." She curtsied once more, and we left shortly after.

When we were finally alone I let out a deep sigh. That was unnecessarily troublesome, but at least she caught wind of what I was trying to say about the approaching danger.

Aiden broke through my thoughts with a tantalizing voice. "Oh Maria! I won't forget about you, it was such a pleasure!" He blinked his eyes repeatedly in emphasis.

"What?" I demanded. Why should I even have to defend myself? It’s a blessing she even heard me out, a fallen prince.

"You think every girl is nice." Aiden countered.

"And so what if I do?" I sighed, letting go of my argument. "Aiden, where are you going? Get back here."

". . ."

I swore under my breath and picked up my pace to follow him. "Don't be such a child." I scolded him gently. Like cracking the top layer of ice on a pond, Aiden's emotions were something to be handled with care. Still, as we grew further apart, I scowled to myself.

Did I really once say Aiden was a shadow? Ha, indeed. More like a tiny dragon running through a stack of teacups. Aiden paused mid-step as if the wind had swayed him the wrong way and continued onward.

Wow, this kid. "Are you going to sulk all day? We actually need to-" Make some progress, I would've said but fate had other plans. A cloth went over my eyes and I was shoved into the dark end of a bag. A hand covered my mouth and tightened at my attempt to escape.

0