043 – She, Who Met Lex Asuka
260 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
043 - She, Who Met Lex Asuka

A dungeon is said to be a "creation" made by the ancient people.

It's what's known as the "Labyrinth of the Ancients."

No matter how you look at it, there are vast underground labyrinths that couldn't possibly fit in the land area, along with monsters roaming within them. Somehow, there are treasure chests placed around, containing hidden treasures.

Even in unexplored areas, artificial traps are set, and powerful monsters await on specific floors. At the deepest level, there's a mighty boss character waiting, and if you defeat it and obtain the final treasure, you can become the king of a nation.

That's the overview of the dungeon taught at the Royal Kingdom of Louisse Academy.

By the way, there are no dungeons in the Royal Kingdom of Louisse.

To be precise, they don't currently exist.

So why did they learn about dungeons at the academy? Well, it's because the Royal Kingdom of Louisse was founded by conquering dungeons in the first place.

There might be some exaggeration, but it's said that the first king of Louisse conquered dungeons with companions, obtained gold, silver, treasures, and fame, and established the kingdom.

Yes, he became the king of a nation.

The dungeons currently confirmed by the Royal Kingdom of Louisse are the "Maze of Blazing Sands" located in the center of the great desert to the southwest of Louisse, and the capital of a nation further south across the desert, which is called the "Labyrinth City" or something like that... It's a bit vague, but that's the gist of it.

And so, it happened.

"...Emerging from Dubil's Rock Mountain, huh?"

"It's more accurate to say we dug it up rather than it appeared. The dungeon was there from the beginning. If we hadn't mined, we probably wouldn't have found it."

Well, that's true.

If it were just Dubil alone, the amount of iron ore mined would have been negligible. It's because we pitched in and dug tirelessly that we managed to reach the entrance of the dungeon.

"At first, we didn't understand what was going on, so we entered from the entrance. We became convinced it was a dungeon after these things appeared when we defeated monsters."

Jainos, who usually wore a difficult expression—well, he always does—placed something he seemed to have brought on the floor with a thud. Of course, it wasn't the axe he usually used.

What is it? It looks like a metal block or an ingot.

No, does it look like an ingot, or is it literally an ingot?

"Dubil confirmed it's a lump of iron. If iron comes out in a similar manner, it's much more efficient than mining in rocky mountain areas. Perhaps, magic iron and magic silver might come out too."

"I see."

So, a dungeon is a "creation"—huh?

"Lady Euphemia, what should we do?"

"What do you think, Jainos?"

I returned the question without delay. Jainos, still wearing his stoic expression, ran his finger over the iron ingot on the floor and nodded.

"I think we should enter the dungeon."

"I see. Why is that?"

"Before us, during this time, by sheer coincidence, the entrance to the dungeon appeared. Of course, we can close the entrance and ignore it. But is that the right thing to do? Lady Euphemia, you have accepted and absorbed various things that have appeared before you. Isn't this the same?"

With a flick, his finger left the iron lump.

Jainos's unwavering gaze caught me, motionless.

Certainly—now that it's pointed out, it certainly is.

"But, dungeons are dangerous, aren't they?"

"The attack by the 'Anti-Lion Alliance' last time was also dangerous. It's just a difference between them coming to us and us going to them."

What are you saying? Jainos tilted his head, seemingly thinking.

Certainly—that too, when said like that, I can't help but agree.

"Well, that's true. Then, with me and a few others..."

Just as I said that, the sound of the front door opening rang out.

Since the house was designed for orcs to enter, I can't actually open the front door of my own house. Kobolds are the same, and on the contrary, anyone else can open the door. Even a ten-year-old girl.

The demon race girl, Katarina.

The daughter of the fox spirit Serena, Kirina.

The two of them looked extremely flustered as they spoke.

"Lady Euphemia! Leaf Liza has returned!"

"Lady Euphemia! Leaf Liza has brought her master with her!"

Master?

As I tilted my head in confusion, the two answered in unison.

"She's a leopard tribe woman named Lex Asuka."

They were at the entrance of Sutin Village.

Just like during the recent Ga... I forgot the name, but it was the same as last time. They waited, lured if necessary, and if they could be directed to the site of the gathering, catapult stone throwing would be possible.

Of course, it wouldn't be as smooth as that. I don't think it'll ever happen again. I don't think there are many such foolish armies.

Moreover, Leaf Liza might not necessarily be an enemy.

Or rather, should I say her "master," Lex Asuka?

Anyway, at the entrance of the village, there was Leaf Liza with her carriage, and beside her were several soldiers clad in leather armor. Behind them, there was a three-horse carriage, and next to the carriage were beastmen dressed somewhat differently from the soldiers.

They were as human-like as Leaf, with similar ears and tails, and slender, tall figures. Their hair was a mix of brown and black, and they had short swords hanging from their belts. They seemed to be escorts for Lex Asuka.

She walked leisurely towards me, her sharp gaze directed at me, but I didn't feel much hostility.

That's all.

Too few.

It's too few, I'd say.

In contrast, on our side, Montego, our familiar diplomat, stood, and for some reason, Serena was standing with her arms crossed beside him. There were also a few minotaurs, and in the front, Junos stood erect.

Well, it's not many.

It's on the lower end for intimidation.

"Meow! Lady Euphemia, long time no see! I've brought my boss, Lady Lex Asuka!"

Leaping from the coachman's seat, Leaf landed lightly while waving both hands dramatically and said that to me.

"I see, your boss?"

"Yeah. My boss, meow."

"Why would your boss come all the way here, without leading an army?"

"When I told her about this place, she said she wanted to see it with her own eyes, meow."

"She wants to see it, huh."

Hmm, I nodded vaguely, but internally, I decided to raise my guard. The line "she wants to see it with her own eyes" shouldn't come out unless she's using something other than her eyes to see.

So, what is Lex Asuka using if not her eyes?

It's obvious. It's Leaf Liza.

Disguised as a traveling merchant, she travels to various places in the beastmen's country, gathers information, and reports it to her master.

Getting information and, in a way, "seeing with her ears" is her usual routine.

Junos and Serena seemed to sense my wariness, as I could see them adjusting their stances slightly. They were both already on high alert, and now they seemed almost like they were preparing for battle.

"Well, alright then. If she wants to see, let her see. See with her eyes, listen with her ears, feel with her skin, and tremble with her heart. I am Euphemia Grimwood."

Stepping forward.

Because just then, a woman was getting out of the three-horse carriage.

Surprisingly, or rather, quite short.

As far as I remember, she should be Lex Asuka, the leopard tribe woman who was Lion King Randall's subordinate, responsible for intellectual labor, and a former member of the disbanded fox clan, ten years ago. Though, I don't know the specifics.

The leopard woman, with the assistance of what seemed to be her female beastman guards, got off the carriage and let out a sigh of relief as she set both feet on the ground. Then, she walked towards us with small steps.

Her appearance—how should I put it? I expect Arabian-style vibe but here she was, totally different. She was wearing something like a cross between a japanese yukata and an american coat. It had a bit of a ethnic clothing vibe and also made her look like a renowned scholar of ancient India, but because of her height, she gave more of an impression of an european child wearing a kimono.

She was the amalgation of cultures, I would say.

She seemed to have the same level of beastliness as Serena as a beastman, except for her ears and tail. However, her unusually large eyes were characteristic of a feline animal, which was indeed a typical feature of beastmen.

Speaking of characteristics, there was another one.

 

She had large breasts.

 

She was a loli with big breasts.

 

A big-breasted loli big sister.

 

"Hello. Nice to meet you. I'm Lex Asuka. You must be Lady Euphemia Grimwood."

Without bowing or nodding, Lex tilted her head with a puzzled expression.

Her voice was like raindrops falling one by one.

 

Spoiler

Do you know that I based Euphemia everything about her on just one word?

Euphemism is an innocuous word or expression used in place of one that is deemed offensive or suggests something unpleasant. Some euphemisms are intended to amuse, while others use bland, inoffensive terms for concepts that the user wishes to downplay.

And her surname comes from a novel, Grimwood.

Replay (Grimwood novel)

Replay is a fantasy novel by American writer Ken Grimwood, first published by Arbor House in 1986. It won the 1988 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel.

The novel tells of a 43-year-old man who dies and wakes up back in 1963 in his 18-year-old body. He relives his life with all his memories of the previous 25 years intact. This happens repeatedly, with the man playing out his life differently in each cycle. The novel was a bestseller in Japan. Its time-loop concept has been referenced as a precursor of Harold Ramis' comedy-drama Groundhog Day (1993). Richard A. Lupoff explored a similar premise in his 1973 short story

[collapse]
26