Chapter 4
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐕.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ June 27th, 20XX
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ after school.

Kasumi wasn't available to hang out today, which left Sayaka with the rest of her day free. Though the girl spent most of her time alone, she didn't really have any ideas as to what she could do by herself that was particularly entertaining. Sayaka found that places she enjoyed with Kasumi were not particularly interesting when she was alone. This left her in a sort of pickle of a situation.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
As the girl contemplated what she could do with her day, she was approached from behind, only alerted to the presence once spoken to.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

"Hey you," the voice said. It wasn't soft and kindhearted or energetic and peppy, but obviously belonged to a female.

Sayaka would turn to see who was speaking to her. The student was shorter than her, but not by much. She had short blonde hair with some longer chunks by her neck that extended like rats tails. Her bangs were similar to hers, but there was a gap in the middle that showed her forehead, and she wore a red hairband with a bow knotted in the center. The uniform was almost the same as the one Kobayakawa had provided her on her first day of school - except she wore a pink hoodie wrapped around her waist, and instead of the Shujin skirt, she was wearing a pair of shujin pants that she had rolled up past her ankles. Sayaka had never seen a female student wear the Shujin uniform's slacks...
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

"Ah ... hello there!" Sayaka spoke up in a friendly manner as she waved to the other, all of which done after taking far too long to respond.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

"You're that girl with all the weird rumors about her right?" The blonde asked, but it was more of a statement, "I've heard about you and your lack of friends - I was wondering if you'd like to hang out with me today?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

This was a surprise to Sayaka. Sure, Kasumi wanted to be her friend, but this felt different... Yet, Sayaka was a little too naive to pick up exactly what seemed different. Instead, she smiled brightly, and nodded her head in agreement while saying, "Sure thing!"

"That's great! I'm going to the park today, before heading to Penguin Sniper this evening."

Sayaka's eyes lit up at the mention of the familiar location.

"You know that place as well? I went there...." There's a pause as Sayaka recalls the dates, "on Saturday."

"Oh really? You know, I think I remember seeing you there..." the blonde said. It was a lie, really, but she had to - wanted to - make a good impression. "Oh, I forgot to mention... My name is Kokoro, but you can just call me Koko if you like."

"Mine is Sayaka - though, I assume you knew this?"

"Yeah... but thanks for sharing anyway."

Sayaka would nod, and the two would begin to walk towards the subway station. Sayaka was relying on Koko to lead her the way, and the two would chat amongst one another as they walked. Similar questions to when Sayaka and Mr. Akechi had previously spoken a couple nights ago. However the conversation was far from dry - Sayaka learned that Koko was adopted (whatever that meant...) and was actually from the United States of America (whatever that was...), but that she didn't really like her parents too much for taking her away from her native country. It felt nice to learn about someone else for once. Sayaka knew a little bit about Kasumi, but nothing particularly substantial. Just that she did gymnastics, liked Risette's music, and that she was struggling a little bit with her athletic activity of choice.

This here felt like a real friendship. Not one crafted on potential lies and a secretive past. Koko was straightforward and honest.

It felt like no time at all before they arrived at their destination. A luscious looking place, Sayaka would think.⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

"Welcome to Inokashira Park," Koko exclaims. She looks proud of herself for knowing of this place's mere existence — smug even. However the look quickly falters as Sayaka observes nearly every inch. It was like she'd never seen a place like this.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
It would seem the rumors of Sayaka being strange were true after all.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Sayaka-Kōhai... are you alright?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Sayaka would turn her head and gave Koko a quizzical look.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Kōhai..?" she questioned, "what does that mean?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"err..."

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Koko rubbed the back of her head awkwardly as she tried to answer this.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"It's an honorific. I'm your Senpai, you're my Kōhai. Because I'm older than you and you're younger than me, in regards to our classes and... stuff. I may not be using it correctly though?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Sayaka's eyes widen, and she gasps.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Gah — I am very sorry Miss Koko — I did not know you were older than me."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"M-Miss..?!" Koko stammered, her green eyes squinting in an almost sneer of sorts. "you don't use the honorifics of Japan..?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"No. I just say the names that I am told. Is this bad?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"No, it's fine... I doubt anyone will care too much" Koko responded. Though, she believed her words to be a lie.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
The conversation swiftly changed once Sayaka spotted the bird boats in the lake of the park. She grabbed Koko's arm in an excitement that must've rubbed off on her from Kasumi, and pointed to the boats. Her grin was wide, she was excited.

"We have to go on those! They are so cute!"

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Koko gave a weary expression that was nearly exaggerated. Sayaka looked quizzically to her new friend once again, before asking, "is something wrong with the animal boats?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"N-No," Koko said, jerking her arm away from Sayaka's rather tight hold, "it's just that usually... couples... go on those."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Again, Sayaka was confused. Though she didn't voice this confusion. It reminded her of the 'parent' situation from earlier. But Koko still saw this expression, so with a groan, she changed her stance.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Fine... Sayaka-Kōhai, We'll go on the swan boat."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
The underclassman's eyes brightened as she grinned.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Yes!! Let us go!"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
—————— 🦢
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
For the remainder of the afternoon, the two girls did all sorts of things that Sayaka was interested in. Koko took her to Shibuya's mall, arcade, video store, and other shops. Sayaka seemed to really like the flower shop the most. Then the two would head to Kichijoji once the sky began to darken. The two didn't waste much time before getting to Penguin Sniper, which wasn't an issue for Sayaka. She had not yet found anywhere of interest there.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
When the two arrived, Sayaka spotted Akechi seemingly waiting for someone. Perhaps the boy he was with previously? She waved to him, Akechi trying his best to avoid eye contact. However he heard every word spoken before the two girls walked inside.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Why are you waving at Akechi-San?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Why would I not? He is my friend."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Riiiight..." Koko rolled her eyes when Sayaka wasn't looking, before the two entered the building. How could she possibly be friends with a celebrity?

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Koko would buy the darts she needed, approaching the dart board. Almost as if on cue, boys and girls all began to crowd around one by one, and Sayaka could hear them all murmur among one another.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"The queen of darts is here—"
"She's so amazing!"
"Kokoro's so cool!!"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Sayaka's eyes softened for a moment, wishing that she could somehow gain that kind of praise. But she has no idea how. She would watch Koko play this game alone, but had no idea what she was watching exactly.

In fact, it got boring...

Fast.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
After what felt like an eternity to Sayaka, she spoke up to ask, "Miss Koko? May I play the game with you?" The whispers among the crowd went completely silent when asked.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
The blonde girl turned her head slowly, a wide grin that had more so malicious intent was spread on her face. Obviously, she was enraged and holding back such rage. Sayaka didn't seem to notice.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Ah .... Sayaka, I don't know if that's really a good idea." Koko said with a fake chuckle.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Why not? Do you think she would take your prized crown?" the voice of another spoke up. Sayaka knew it immediately — looking to the direction of the sound to find that it was in fact who she'd thought it was. Akechi.

"What's it to you, Akechi-San?" retorted Koko, "it's not like you could do it, what makes you think she can?!"

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Did I ever say she could?" he asked, a small laughter coming after his words.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Koko was fuming, and with this rage, the people around began to disband. Some girls would begin to crowd around the detective, and Koko was ready to rage quit.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"See ya later Sayaka," she grunted, storming out of the place without making sure Sayaka was okay with this. Sayaka looked saddened, and watched as Akechi shooed off the fan girls circling him.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
With a sigh, Sayaka asks the girls, "Would you leave him alone? He obviously does not want to be around you." Annoyed by her answer, the girls all left shortly after.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Akechi stared at the remaining girl. She seemed to have grown a conscience since their last meeting... yet she wasn't leaving him alone now either. She seemed worried about something though. Kokoro perhaps? He wouldn't pry, but he didn't understand how someone like Sayaka would be around someone like ... the 'Queen' of Kichijoji.

"Thanks for that, Sayaka-San." He was reluctant to say this, but was somewhat grateful for her blunt nature in the moment. He'd probably have to apologize to those fangirls later on and make up an excuse, but for now, it didn't really matter to him. She got rid of them. "I wish you safe travels," he adds, before collecting his things to leave.

He didn't intend to see her again.

This was simply him being in the right place at the right time.

For her sake.

0