Chapter 92: When Jean Turner offers to help…
347 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Two hours ago, a group of rogue mercenaries attacked the Senate Hall, leading to the death of seven hundred eighty-nine Umojan soldiers and government workers, as well as five senators. Fortunately, neither Councilor Jorgensen nor Admiral Thorn has been harmed. Both of them have returned to their post. In a press conference an hour after the event, Admiral Thorn told reporters the council will not be intimidated by the attack. This attack was an attempt by enemies of the people to shake our spirit, and they have failed.”

“After a period of investigation, the Protectorate has identified the mastermind behind this attack as Admiral Hancock, the Vice Commander of the Umojan Fleet. Investigators have discovered evidence inside his personal computer that suggested the admiral provided cover for the mercenaries. Hancock’s lieutenant also testified that the admiral delayed deploying the reinforcements on purpose. Admiral Hancock attempted to escape, and the military police officers sent to apprehend him were forced to execute him. While Admiral Hancock was not found guilty by a trial by jury, there has been enough evidence to convict him for treason and sentence him to death.”

“During the press conference, Admiral Thorn also announced the High Council’s decision to deploy our fleet to the zerg planet of Char. As of the moment, Char is besieged by the Dominion Fleet. Due to the harsh relationship between the Terran Dominion and the Umojan Protectorate, it is difficult to predict what will happen in the future.”

“Tune in on channel 8 for the quickest update on the sector’s affairs…”

Jean turned off the television and turned to the room filled by members of the Ruling Council.

“How is the public reacting to the recent news?”

“There have been some questions, but most people agreed with the decision to march on Char. They believed Hancock is the one behind this as well. Our propagandas have been effective.”

Jorgensen replied obediently.

Ever since Jean took power two hours ago, she has been bombarding the public with information she wanted them to know. Normally, the media inside the Protectorate had more free speech, but this completely changed when someone as ruthless as Jean took over.

Jean had no moral limit. She controlled all the media on the planet in half an hour. Those who refused to work for her were forever silenced.

Under the one-sided social trend, the Umojan Fleet was mobilized. Men and women said goodbye to their families and set on a path against an enemy that has terrified the sector for years. All because of Jean’s orders.

Some of them will not return.

“Report on our unit count if we keep the minimum number of units within the Protectorate.” Jean demanded. If it was possible, she would take every single Umojan soldier with her to Char, but the Protectorate could still be useful to her. Its technology was something Jean couldn’t afford to abandon. Plus, the Umojan soldiers wouldn’t fight with all their heart if they knew their families were defenseless.

“As you wish. We will be able to add 250 battlecruisers into our invasion fleet, as well as 300,000 ground units. Since you ordered the total recall of all Warden units available, over 20,000 Warden units have been assimilated into the invasion fleet. All of our factories have been producing Warden units full time with all available resources. The Warden unit count is increased by 2000 every day.”

This time it was Admiral Thorn who replied.

Jean nodded. She recalled all the Warden units as soon as she took control because she no longer needed to keep them around the Protectorate to defend against zerg infestation. Now, she could use these killing machines against the Swarm. Even better, she had the resource to produce Warden units in large scales. The Umojan weren’t the richest, but when it had one mission, it was very productive in completing that mission.

“Might I ask a question, sir?” Thorn suddenly asked. The neural parasite bug in his brain didn’t wipe out his personality. It simply made him ultimately loyal to Jean. That was, of course, unless Stukov decided he was tired of following Jean's orders. 

“Speak.”

“Bringing most of our ships to Char will leave the Protectorate defenseless. Both the Dominion and the Swarm will be occupied, but if the Kel-Morian Combine attacks us...those pirates have no regard for morale or the greater good of mankind. If they see a chance for profit, they’ll strike.”

Jean wasn’t as worried. “There’s no need. They will also be too occupied to do anything.”

After taking over, Jean found no further need for Stukov’s infested forces. In fact, Stukov has become relatively useless after his initial attack on the Protectorate. Jean could no longer order him to assault the Protectorate any further because she didn’t want to damage her own forces. Maybe one day she would order Stukov to turn on the Umojans after she was done with them, but not today.

Still, the larger Stukov’s army could grow, the better it was. Since the infested army needed to attack terran to grow in size, Jean turned them on the only terran faction available.

The Kel-Morian Combine.

It was still too early to say, but one thing for sure. The Kel-Morian would be too busy staying alive to attack the Umojan Protectorate.


The Dominion fortress. Char.

Ever since the Brood War, the Terran Dominion have tried to tame the Swarm. One-fifth of the Dominion Fleet was positioned at Char all year round. Under the command of the respected General Warfield, fleets of battlecruisers, some of them the most advanced in the Dominion, forged the first line of defense for mankind against the alien menace.

The Dominion fortress on a space platform in the high orbit of Char acted as a frontal base of operation. The guns mounted on the fortress bought some ground against the endless zerg.

Today, the already mighty Dominion Fleet was made even more deadly. A fleet of four hundred capital ships added to the two hundred fifty battlecruisers already on the planet. Nearly one million Dominion troopers manned these ships and made up the ground forces.

Inside the flagship of the smaller Dominion Fleet, Crown Prince Valerian Mengsk confronted General Horace Warfield.

“With all due respect, Prince Valerian, I haven’t received orders from Emperor Mengsk about this...movement, for lack of a better word.”

“My father doesn’t know about my action. If he does, he will not agree to this.” Valerian replied, not faltering from Warfield’s words. As harsh as Warfield’s words were, Valerian knew the general was a good man. He only wanted the best for the common people. “As bad as it sounds, my father has grown weak. Even when we had solid intel that the Swarm was occupied fighting a protoss faction, he refused to take the risk and deploy the fleet on Char.”

“Therefore, as the Crown Prince and the future emperor of the Dominion, it is my duty to do what he failed to do and conquer the zerg threat.”

Warfield frowned. Valerian might be the Crown Prince, but what he did, mobilizing dozens of fleets without even notifying the Emperor, could be considered as treason. Arcturus Mengsk wasn’t the trusting kind. He could have Valerian executed with a single order.

Still, Warfield didn’t care. There was a reason he, one of the mightiest generals in the Dominion, came to the hell-like world of Char rather than stayed back on the luxury planet of Korhal. He wanted the best for the people, and Valerian’s arrival here was good for that purpose.

Before, he didn’t have the manpower to launch a full-scale assault. Now, he had enough ships to make an attempt against Kerrigan.

Still, General Warfield wasn’t as happy with the other visitor onboard.

“What’s this pirate doing here?” He turned to a man in blue armor, who was glancing around the bridge. Behind him, a dozen red armored Dominion marines gripped to their weapons tightly.

James Raynor. The leader of Raynor’s Raiders and the most infamous rebel in the Dominion. Also, Jean’s first boss.

“Due to the unforeseen future of this assault, I have invited commander Raynor to assist us.”

Valerian knew how deadly the Swarm is. As one of the most experienced people against the zerg, Raynor would be a useful asset. Plus, his knowledge and personal connection with Kerrigan might just save the day.

“Assist us? I have led five separate assaults against the Swarm. I have held my ground against the zerg when he and his terrorist friends hid behind a rock!” Warfield retaliated. He couldn’t help but feel insulted by Valerian's lack of confidence in him. If it was General Davis here, she might just order Raynor to be arrested and executed. Warfield wasn’t as radical as Davis, but he didn’t give any respect to Raynor either.

Raynor didn’t falter. He was in the middle of a Dominion battlecruiser which was above a Dominion fortress. If Warfield ordered his capture, he didn’t have a chance of fleeing, but the large man wasn’t intimidated. Hell, even a psionic blade inside his chest didn’t put him down for long.

“The Swarm is a dangerous foe, and you need all your resource to fight them back.” Raynor was about to continue when, all of a sudden, a series of alarms blared throughout the bridge.

“Report!” Warfield had no time to exchange insults with Raynor.

An officer reported in less than two seconds. The efficiency of Warfield’s men was incredible.

“Sir, we have located multiple warp signals outside the guns of our fortress!”

“Are they zerg?”

Before the officer could answer, the entirety of the Umojan Expedition Fleet exited warp space.

Hundreds of white battlecruisers dotted around the flagship, a giant Gorgon, in the middle. Hercules, transport vessels large enough to hold thousands, were in the safety behind the cover of lines of capital ships and fighters. They carried the supplies, food and ammunition, the Umojan Expedition needed to maintain its combat abilities. As soon as the capital ships could, they projected out fleets of fighters and secured the perimeters. Ravens and science vessels made sure the fleet wouldn’t be sneaked up upon by cloaked hostile fighters.

“What the hell?” Raynor frowned.

“This...this shouldn’t be happening...” This was Valerian Mengsk.

“It’s the Umojan Fleet.” Warfield was rather calm. He quickly recognized the white armors and platings as that of one of the three major terran factions in the sector. “What are they doing here?” He turned to the Crown Prince, wondering if the young man made an alliance with the Umojans as well. It was possible. If Valerian could strike a deal with someone like Raynor, then he could do the same to a hostile foreign power.

Valerian shook his head. He wouldn’t take the complements for something he didn’t do.

“Sir, the Umojan ships have formed a defensive formation. They don’t seem to be hostile.”

“Maintain your guard, soldier. Officer, establish a communication with the Umojan commander. I want to know what they want.”

The leader of the two fleets made contact.

“This is Admiral Thorn of the Umojan Fleet. Identify yourself.”

Although Jean was the real leader of this fleet, on the surface Thorn was the commander. Jean didn’t want the foot soldiers to wonder why an advisor was giving orders rather than the real general.

“Admiral Thorn, this is General Warfield of the Dominion Fleet. State your objective.”

“General Warfield. It’s been a pleasure.” Thorn wasn’t being sarcastic. If Warfield didn’t lead the Dominion Fleet and pin the zerg back on Char, then chances were the Swarm might seek to expand toward the terran territories. The relatively vulnerable Umojan Protectorate would be one of the prime targets. Warfield wasn’t impressed, and Thorn continued.

“The zerg Swarm is a threat to all mankind. This includes the Dominion and the Umojan, and now is the perfect chance to take them out.” The Umojan commander explained. “I know the Dominion has had its differences with the Protectorate, but at a time like this, it is important for us to work together to terminate the common alien threat.”

“Are you suggesting an alliance?” Warfield was surprised by the offer.

“Just this once. After we take down the Swarm, we will each go our separate ways.”

“And your people are ok with this?”

“Both the Ruling Council and the common people have spoken. My action here is authorized.”

Warfield started thinking.

“General, our odds against the Queen of Blades will be much greater with the help of the Umojan Fleet.” Valerian suggested. Although he was the Crown Prince, he still needed Warfield’s support to command the Dominion Fleet.

“Raynor’s Raiders? The Umojans? Emperor Mengsk will not be happy.” Warfield didn’t want to get involved in politics, but even so he had to consider what Arcturus Mengsk might think about his call. One thing for sure. He wouldn’t be glad about making a deal with two of the Dominion’s enemies.

“My father’s opinion is none of my concern.” Valerian thought about it for a brief second before deciding. He knew this decision might cost him both his position and his power, but he decided it was nothing compared to the threat of the Swarm. If he could exchange his title as Crown Prince for the security of the Dominion, he would gladly do it.

Warfield nodded and turned back to Thorn. “In that case, welcome aboard.”

“For the greater good of humanity.” Thorn replied.

Behind Thorn, Jean tilted her head.

10