Chapter 212: Turner on the Move
215 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A man walked quickly through a seemingly normal house in northern New York City. He encountered multiple armed men on the way, but he was allowed through after a single glance. Eventually, he reached a room. After a brief knock, he was allowed entry.

He looked at the only one inside the room.

“Good news, Mr. Sam, General Johnson and the people behind him have agreed to join us.”

Uncle Sam sat in the room quietly. He was looking down on a book. After hearing the report from the driver, he glanced at him and nodded in approval. “Good. Now, take some rest.”

The driver nodded and left the room obediently, closing the door on the way out. When he was finally by himself, Uncle Sam finally turned to the side and spoke into what seemed like nothingness.

“As I said, there are dissenters among our people. Dissenters that we can use.”

A figure showed himself. He was wearing a cloak that covered his entire body from view, leaving only his face in the open. Uncle Sam could see a scar across his left eye that permanently half-blinded him. A handful of daggers could be seen attached to his belt.

“Our plan will be sprung into action very soon. Once that happens, there’s no going back. I hope you can remain true to your promise.”

The cloaked figure nodded slowly at Uncle Sam’s words.

“Of course. As I have declared before, the Roman Empire has no interest in your world. Our enemies are the Voyagers that serve the Protectors. That’s all. After all the Voyagers are terminated, we will pull out our forces. Portals have been opened to other, weaker worlds, and our forces are seizing those worlds as we speak. We have no need of taking yours and risk being destroyed by your nuclear arsenal.”

Deep down, the cloaked Roman infiltrator was smirking. What he said was a complete and utter lie. Pull out? No interest? The moment the Voyagers fall would be the moment the Romans turn on the locals of these world. The inhabitants of this world would only have two choices: death or slavery. Of course, for Uncle Sam and his fellow rebels, there was only death. The Romans would never let them live. If they could betray their former government, then they could also betray their new one.

Well, at least part of that statement was true. There were a few more portals opened up to other world, but the defenders of those worlds weren’t too weak either. Why go after them when this one was ripe for the taking.

“Very well. This government has become the dogs of the Voyagers. It must be removed and replaced.” Uncle Sam nodded before looking down on his book again.

The title of the book? The Art of War.

A small grin was on his lips, but he wasn’t laughing of something he read.

The Romans have no interest in their world...that statement by itself was more than funny.


Paris. Earth. Dimension AP492.

Three F-1s made their way across the skies of the crown jewel of France. It was nighttime, and even in the cockpit of one of the F-1s, Jean could see the bright light lit all across the city. Three months ago, one of the portals erupted in the heart of Paris, and the Romans pushed through the Warden defenses. Thousands were killed before Major and his army of constructs moved into position and shut down the aggression.

But it seemed like the people of this city have forgotten about that tragedy. Across the streets, drunk young men and women wandered around. Women in rag-tagged clothing strolled around the corners, looking for potential customers who would paid to feel their touch.

The entire city appears fine, but under the surface was the reek of corruption and hopelessness. The occupants have decided to give up any care of the future and throw away whatever time they have right now on partying.

Jean didn't care about ordinary people. If it wasn’t due to the restrictions of her mission, she would’ve gotten rid of them already. But she was concerned about the corruption of someone else.

Jean finally reached her destination. Two of the three F-1s patrolled in the air while the third held still. Jean got off the fighter and landed in front of a luxurious hotel. While the rest of the city looked broken, this specific hotel was well decorated.

A squad of local soldiers were at the door. Jean watched as they let a few young girls in, but when a few young men wanted to go in and have some fun, the soldiers chased them away with a method far from polite.

Jean slowly walked toward the door.

“Sup girl?” One of the men said loudly. Whether it was because of poor eyesight or poor lighting, he didn't see Jean’s Voyager armor. He thought Jean was merely a call girl. They have been arriving at the hotel in droves.

Jean glanced at him coldly.

The man immediately felt chills down his spine. Without feeling the need to put on a mask of kindness, Jean was already intimidating enough. Add that to her identity as a Reapress and it would be a miracle the man wasn’t wetting himself already.

A second man took a step forward and saluted, saving his comrade from the intimidation.

“Madame, how can I help you?”

“I am here to talk to my...comrades.” Jean took a step forward. The man shook slightly, but he didn't move to the side.

“I’m sorry, madame, but I have to report this to Mr. Major before I can allow you entry.”

Jean tilted her head. A ball of black energy formed in her palm.

The second sentry was about to say something before the one that tried to flirt with Jean cut him off and pulled him to the side.

“Of course, Madame, please enter.”

As Jean walked in, the first sentry turned to his surprised comrade.

“Look, these Voyagers call us locals. They see themselves as above us. We can never stop them. It’s not even our job. She obviously has something to say to our boss. We should let them settle it.”

The second sentry sighed. They weren’t the military. They were mercenaries hired by the local government to help the Voyagers in whatever they want. Usually, they just stood at the door and checked IDs. Asking them to stop a fellow Voyager was insane.

But he wasn’t convinced. Their boss wasn’t exactly the most reasonable person. But then again, there was absolutely nothing he could do.

Six figures sat in a large room in the hotel. As Jean looked around, she could see things in this room that were luxuries in this world even before the Romans attacked and turned the economy and consumer manufacturing to hell. Drinks. Food. When the locals outside were dying from famine, selling their dignity and their soul for a roof over their head and some food in their belly, the six figures in here could feast on whatever they want.

Correction. The six Voyagers in here.

Jean’s fellow Voyagers turned around as Jean entered, slightly surprised.

Jean went straight to the point.

“I have important affairs to discuss with you. Clear the room.”

The moment Jean entered, she saw that the Voyagers weren’t alone. Three of them had multiple half of fully naked women beside them. A few servants were around the tables, passing the Voyagers food and illicit substances.

A large Voyager frowned. He was Major, the Voyager with an army of constructs tasked with defending Europe.

“Why would I do that? You don’t command me.” He spoke with a provoking tone.

Jean stared at him. “As I said, there are important things that I want to discuss with you.”

Major didn't answer. He merely reached his hand into the skirt of one of the women.

Jean tilted her head. A scent of Power of Death was sent across the room. She wanted to warn Major, and the Voyager obviously sensed her intentions. Movement came in from across the room as several metallic constructs were activated.

“Now, now, we should all calm down a little…” Just as the two Voyagers were about to go after each other, a third Voyager stepped in. She was a woman with red hair. Two large, handsome men laid beside her seat. She quietly stood up and stopped the clash. She snapped her fingers, and the locals started to walk out of the room. “After all, we are from the same side. The Protectors have promised destruction to anyone that initiates internal unrest.”

“Well said.” Jean gave her a nod. She wasn’t stupid, and she was well aware of where Major’s change in attitude originated from. When the Voyagers first descended into this world, the other Voyagers followed her every command because they needed her Wardens to fully cover all the portals. She was in demand. But after three months of peace, the common perception was that the Romans were done. They have turned their attention to some other world. Whatever that world was, it was no longer their responsibility. All they had to do now was drink and party until a Protector finds the time to deal with the Romans. And then, they would be out of this world.

When no Romans were going to pass the portal and the only mission the Wardens were on were patrol missions, Jean was no longer needed.

Major wasn’t drunk or anything when he rejected Jean’s suggestion to clear the room. He merely wanted to use this opportunity to tell Jean her time to rule was over. The Voyagers had no jurisdiction over each other, and if Jean wanted him to listen to her, she had to do so nicely.

That was a...problematic thought.

Jean’s eyes lingered on a patch of drugs that she was confident was illegal in the country before scanning every one of the six Voyagers.

“I have a proposal.”

The six Voyagers looked at her, waiting for her to continue. Even Major was listening.

“The Romans have been beaten back, but sooner or later, they will return. To end them once and for all, I suggest that we launch a counterattack across the portals and into their world.”

The six Voyagers were taken back. Even Scarlett, the redhead who resolved the small conflict between Jean and Major, had a frown of disapproval on her face.

“Have you gone insane?” Major was the first to voice his thoughts. “You are not the only Voyager who has interrogated the Romans. We know there are millions of Roman combatants in their homeworld. We can stop them at the portals by holding a defender’s advantage, but if we dare move across the portals, we will be overwhelmed! We will not only fail the assault but also give them a chance to come across again and threaten this world!”

Jean has thought about that before she came here.

“There are millions of Roman combatants, but they are scattered across the globe under the command of dozens of different leaders. My Wardens are united, heeding my command and my command alone. I have 500,000 mechanical units at my disposal, along with a few other tricks. The Romans can’t stop us.”

She continued before giving the others a chance to object.

“Plus, I am not asking for you to attack. I am asking for you to defend Earth in the absence of me and my forces. You don’t have to send a single construct or beast across the portals. I will take care of the Romans myself.”

The six looked at each other before communicating through their watches. Jean waited patiently. She was fairly confident the other Voyagers would say yes. After all, they had nothing to lose. It was her forces at risk.

Finally, a decision was struck.

“No. We will not allow this.”

“What?” Jean frowned. Her eyes darkened slightly.

“It may be your forces that cross the portal, but if you fall and the Romans swarm across the portals, it will be our job to hold them off. If Earth falls because of it, it will be our heads on the line. We will not tolerate such an unnecessary risk.”

Jean paused for a moment before realizing her mistake.

She was motivated to take advantage of this opportunity, but the others were not.

“Look, we are Voyagers! How long we live is based on our strength, and this is a perfect opportunity to get it! Major! I trust you have discovered that the Roman swords and shields are not composed of the same metal as normal ones. Would you like to track down more of them and use them to build up your constructs? Olivia? How deadly would the beasts be from the Roman Empire? Would you like to add them to your command? There is so much potential in this!”

“There is also so much risk.” Scarlett said quietly.

Jean’s eyes twisted as she scanned the room and realized all the other Voyagers were nodding in agreement. They have chosen safety and assurance over risks and profit.

Well, that was unfortunate. Plan A, luring them in with interest, has failed.

Time for plan B.

She turned and left the room without wasting another word.

7