Chapter 244: Collateral Damage
198 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oh...Adam. What did you get yourself into this time?

Jean was really impressed. Just look at what the Protectors have gathered up! 30 Protector Legions! 30! That was 30 million Protectors! And how many troops were in 1,302 supplicant legions and 800 Voyager legions? All this for one person! Adam should be proud!

On the stage, Commodore Artemis went on.

“Your mission is to eliminate the individual known as Adam. I repeat, eliminate. There will be no request for surrender. There will be no process of interrogation. He will not be taken prisoner. As soon as you spot the target, broadcast your location and adopt deadly force immediately. I want you to wipe out his mind, body, and soul.”

“But be aware on your missions. Your time is limited. Within seven days in the Infinite Realms, if the kill is not reported, all friendly units will be removed from the Chaos Domain. To ensure Adam’s termination, the Protectors Corps will purify the entire Chaos Domain. That will be our last resort. If we erase the Chaos Domain, there will be a period of time in which the forces of agony roam free around the Infinite Realms, which is why it is crucial for us to hunt down Adam before that seven-day mark.”

“This operation will come at a risk. Adam is highly dangerous, and the Chaos Domain will be a difficult battlefield. This is why I am putting out a bounty on Adam’s head.”

“Whoever kills Adam...will become a recruit in the Protector Corps.”

The platform Jean was standing on immediately exploded into chaos as the Voyagers could no longer conceal their surprise, and that platform wasn’t the only one. All across the Engulfer’s Bay, billions turned to those beside them, wondering if they heard it wrong.

A recruit in the Protector Corps? Was she serious? Ever since all the supplicants and Voyagers met the Protector Corps, the invincibility of the Protectors was implanted deep into their minds. No matter how powerful the enemy, a single Protector could seal the deal. As a Voyager or a supplicant, they could never be as powerful as a Protector. Even if they reached the peak, they would never be the masters of the Infinite Realms.

But everything has changed! Now...they were given a chance to tap into that unstoppable power! They could become a Protector! Sure, it was just a recruit, but that was better than anything a Voyager or a supplicant could have!

Artemis was obviously satisfied by the effect of her words. She waited for everyone to quiet down before continuing.

“There are locals in the Chaos Domain. Nightmare creatures created by every negative emotion you can imagine. They are products of terror and rage. They come in all forms, and they hold no sense of reason or order. They can’t be talked to. They can’t be bribed. Their only instinct is to destroy everything in their way. Their CAS range from 100 to 900,000.”

That was enough to cool the minds of many Voyagers and supplicants. 900,000? One wrong move and they could be wiped out forever by an enemy way beyond their league.

But the Protectors would never let that happen.

“During the initial wave, my ARCADIA comrades and all the Protectors in the mission will tackle and exterminate every single local with a CAS above 10,000. The tasks of the Voyager Legions and the Supplicant Legions will be to handle the rest of the locals and locate and destroy Adam.”

The Protectors didn't bring in the Voyagers and the Supplicant to fight, at least not really. They themselves could handle the fighting. Commodore Artemis had 30 million Protectors under her. All of them could reign supreme inside the Chaos Domain.

The only reason she brought the Supplicants and Voyagers in was because the Chaos Domain was nearly infinite big. 30 million Protectors simply couldn’t cover that much ground. The Voyagers and Supplicants provided a fighting force that was capable of surviving in the Chaos Domain and locate Adam. By the time Adam was located, Protectors would arrive on the scene and take him down.

Of course, there would still be casualties. For Voyagers like Jean, even a local at 9,999 could mean instant death, but no one complained. They were willing to take the risk for just a chance at one-hundredth of what was offered.


Chaos Domain.

Commodore Artemis’ description of the Chaos Domain was hardly exaggerated. The entire Chaos Domain was covered by a layer of storm clouds, constantly covering it in an apocalyptic style. Things like sunlight and blue skies were no more than a dream. After all, this was the land of fire and fury.

Every moment, countless purple beams of lightnings, each filled with the fury of a thousand worlds, came down from the skies and smashed into the ground. Everything within its path was electrocuted by the world-ending power it carried. If someone was to examine these lightnings, they would realize every single one of them had a CAS between 3,500 and 7,000.

Every second, tens of thousands of Chaos Descendants, locals of the Chaos Domain, were erased from their homeworld by these lightnings. Their deaths were cruel and meaningless and ultimately, irrelevant.

It was a perfect demonstration of the unreasonable nature of this world.

Following a series of flashes, an armada of over five thousand capital ships jumped into the Chaos Domain. Some of them extended into a distance, unending. Others were a bit smaller.

Among the ships, hundreds belonged to the Iron Garrison. Three hundred more belonged to the 30 Protector Corps. One ship, mainly white but with red and blue stripes, stood out among the other standard Protector vessels.

The 800 Voyager Legions were in 800 all-black phaseships. Inside every phaseship, Voyagers of the Voyager Legions were divided into groups of fifty. Each group was placed on an elevated platform. In the very front, a Protector different from Artemis explained the terrain of the Chaos Domain in detail. The Commodore had more important affairs to attend to.

“The majority of the Chaos Domain is a planet two billion light-years in radius. Everything else is composed of the vacuum of space and uninhabited meteorites. Our intel places Adam on the planet below, but we have no further information. He can be right next to our landing site, and he can be on the other side of the planet. The Chaos Domain is too big for our forces to cover in a reasonable amount of time, so your tasks will be to move through as much ground as possible. Regardless of the situation, once the seven day mark is reached, you must be recalled."

"Once the lightnings outside are cleared, the Protectors will be the first wave. The Supplicants and Voyagers will be the second.”

Outside, the purple lightning kept on coming down on the Protector fleet, but these unstoppable forces of nature have met an obstacle that was more than capable of fending them off. Every lightning that would’ve hit the ships clashed with a layer of invisible energy shield.

One of the Protector ships came to a stop, and what could only be described as a swarm of Protectors left the vessel. With just their raw powers, they started flying across the skies.

As if they felt insulted by the utter lack of caution from the white-armored outsiders, the lightning shifted their target and zapped down on the Protectors. But no matter how many times the lightning struck at point-blank range, not a single Protector was even slightly delayed. In fact, the Protectors didn't even bother to raise shields. To them, getting hit by the lightning was no different than Jean getting stabbed by a pocket-knife.

In just seconds, a group of the Protectors has formed a net, covering everything within the one million kilometer radius of the Protector fleet. With a single move, they reached out and sent beams of white energy into the storm clouds where the lightning originated from. Once they got into position, the white energy formed a seal.

Immediately, the storm clouds quieted down, and the lightning ceased.

More and more Protectors were still moving further and further away from the fleet. Their task was the same: clear up a battlefield so the Supplicants and Voyagers could do their job. But even before they were done, it was time for the first wave.

The Protectors had no time to lose.

Commodore Artemis’s voice could be heard throughout the fleet.

“All Protector units, commence the attack.”

Millions and millions of Protectors exited their vessels. Some came out from open hangar doors. Others simply altered space and moved outside. They were like ants in front of the giant Protector ships and the even more giant Chaos Domain, but today, these ants were here to show the world size wasn’t everything.

In one corner of the Chaos Domain, a wolf twenty meters long stalked through the field quietly. Countless poisonous spines covered its back. Its teeth as sharp as knives. On its forehead and above its eyes and nose, was a third eye.

Suddenly, a distance away, a flock of birds approached from the horizon. The wolf growled and laid down on its stomach. Its back slightly tilting up. Suddenly, hundreds of spines pierced through the air and landed among the flock.

There would’ve been sonic booms as the spines were multiple times the speed of sound, except there was no air in the Chaos Domain to be compressed.

The wolf attacked without any hesitance. This was the main theme in the Chaos Domain. Chaos. Even within packs of the same race, internal conflict was a common thing. Whenever two creatures of different species met, only one of them would walk away alive.

For most environments, if this was the case, the environment would lose most of is inhabitants eventually, but this was the Chaos Domain. Everyday, numerous new creatures were formed. They didn't need time to be born or grow. As soon as they were formed, they become qualified combatants.

The flock of birds was sprung into chaos by the sudden attack. Half of them straight up dropped dead on the ground. But the rest kept on moving forward with twice the speed. Within seconds, they were on top of the wolf. As they got closer, these birds turned out to be one eyed fliers with metal beaks and wings. They dove down on the wolf in multiple waves. When they were done, the wolf has lost two of its three eyes, and its intestines were spread across the field.

Finally, the predator birds landed on top of the wolf. They barely started their feast when a giant stone foot landed and crushed both the rest of the flock and the corpse of the wolf.

Standing tall and completely unaware of the skirmish he just put an end to was a Flaming Titan. Thousands of kilometers in height, his head reached into the sky, almost piercing the storm clouds above him. His entire body was made up of burning stones. Lightning after lightning rained down on him at close range, but they were no more than a massage for a creature as powerful as the titan.

It was so large that even entire ranges of mountains were barely ankle tall. Every step from the titan brought him at least a thousand kilometers forward. Every contact between the bottom of his feet and the ground meant apocalypse for entire regions. Trees? Mountains? Rivers? They were no more than compressed, scorched earth, sometimes tamed with blood, after the Flaming Titan walked away.

The Flaming Titan was a creature of nightmares. Even in the Chaos Domain, it was one of the top predators. Its CAS? 100,000. If he was formed in the World of Starcraft, the World of the Runes, or even the World of the Romans, he alone could destroy the world itself.

Suddenly, the Flaming Titan sensed something he has never felt before. Threat. He felt threatened, and threat brought anger and fear. Driven mad by these emotions, the Flaming Titan rose his arms and charged forward at the enemy that hasn’t even entered his sight.

The Earth shook at his movement. Thousands of weaker, smaller Chaos Descendants growled as the titan’s leg came crashing down on them. Well, on the positive side, they were already dead before being crushed. The heat alone generated by the Flaming Titan could melt them alive.

And then, the Flaming Titan froze in his tracks.

Inside his chest was a one-man tall hole. It was nothing in relative to his size, but it was too late. A wave of pure white energy spread across the giant’s body. Burning stones that made up the Flaming Titan’s body lost their heat and collapsed on the ground.

The Protector didn't even stop. He simply flew forward, going through anything in its way, whether it was open space or invincible titans.

The Flaming Titan looked down on his chest in confusion. His pathetic level of intelligence had no ability to comprehend what just happened, and he didn't need to. Within an instant, his main body was gone. His arms and legs were a bit more fortunate. At least they disintegrated after hitting the ground, not before.

Across the Chaos Domain, creatures who have dominated their respective regions for time beyond count met their end. Undead pirates impervious to swords and guns were wiped out along with their ships. Cyclops who devoured anything they came across found their graves in the mountains they have resided in for years. Tentacled monsters lost their lives before having the barest idea of what was going on or who they were fighting.

Inside his pantheon, a dark god infamous for devouring his enemies whole was annihilated by a white blast from downtown. He barely had time to get up from his throne before death came out of nowhere and knocked on his door.

A butcher with a bag over his head and a huge axe in his hand who was just done with a good old slaughter suddenly had his head exploded. His blood and brain fluid covered the corpses of his victims.

When the coast was finally cleared, it was finally time for Jean and her comrades to shine.

Voyagers were teleported to the ground in groups. Every group was assigned a vague direction to move toward. The big bosses in this world might have been handled, but there were countless smaller goons left.

As Jean felt her feet on the ground again, she suddenly made up her mind.

She needed power, and becoming a Protector was perhaps one of the best ways to get it.

In order words, she wanted Adam’s head.

As for how she was going to get it…

She tapped her watch.

The next moment, armies formed around her.

 

5