Chapter 33: Mr. Isaac’s Offer
722 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The music never started again, and for a moment, 34 students stood in a circle outside the ring of flames in silence. 

The five students inside the ring realized something was off as well. As the adrenaline induced by the fear and anger and rocking music disappeared, their brains were functioning again, though many of them wished their brains were permanently gone. At least then they won’t have to confront the true reality of this game, and what victory truly meant for them. 

They didn't reach salvation. All they did was seal their damnation. 

Caitlin’s jaw dropped as she stared at Zach. The boy who she led into this hellish class. The boy who promised to stand by her and end these sickening games, but found himself beaten mere days later. The boy whose presence brought her hope, and whose departure brought her despair. 

The boy who was about to die. 

One of the girls slowly turned to Mr. Isaac. She was practically begging. 

“Please, Mr. Isaac...sir! We...we won! We’re good students! I...we will do everything for another chance!” 

Voices erupted from inside the ring across the chairs. Zach sat there as well, but unlike the others, he had no intention of begging for his life. Slowly, he turned to the side and found his eyes landing on Caitlin. 

“Goodbye.” He whispered. 

Mr. Isaac took a step forward, and all the voices stopped. Dozens of eyes were trained on him, wondering what his decision would be. 

And then the decision came. 

“You won the game, congrats.” The teacher whispered loudly. “And your reward...is a slow death.” 

He raised his hand. Before he could do anything else, a scream rang out from the side. 

“No!” 

On the side, Caitlin drew her handgun and started shooting at Mr. Isaac. The bullets tore through his body, doing little. Caitlin expected this, but she just didn't care anymore.

Zach might’ve left her, but there was no way she would let him die like this. Slowly. Painfully.  

“Oh shit!” 

Beside Caitlin, Katie was caught off guard as well. What was going to happen to Zach was unfortunate, yet he wouldn’t be the first to die and he wouldn’t be the last. He made his decision. That should be it. 

She didn't expect Caitlin to just lose her shit and try to take on Mr. Isaac just like this, but that didn't stop her from siding with her friend, just as she always has been. With a quick move, she drew her Knife and charged right into the undead teacher with near superhuman speed. Her Knife dug deep into the man’s neck before anyone knew what was going on. 

The field was silent for a moment as blood spilled out of the fractured wound on Mr. Isaac’s throat. The students opened their mouths in awe. Could it be it? Could it be the end? The monster that has terrorized them for too long, killed by a knife to the throat? 

Of course not. 

Mr. Isaac moved again, the Knife still in his neck. Black energy formed at his hands before the man literally grabbed onto Katie’s right arm holding the knife. Slowly, with a series of chilling, bone-crunching sounds, he crushed almost every inch of bone in her arm. 

Katie’s body shook in pure pain and ecstasy. A sickening smile climbed onto her cheeks, matching that of Mr. Isaac’s. 

Her arm might as well be crippled, but that wasn’t enough to stop her. Four branches pierced her flesh and skin and crashed into Mr. Isaac’s body with lightning speed. 

Their speed was fast. Their element of surprise was, well, present. Their accomplishments? Non-existent. 

Mr. Isaac glanced down as the branches bounced harmlessly off his body. On the side, Caitlin quickly reloaded and continued firing at him, but there was little the bullets could accomplish. 

The rest of the class, after the initial surprise, have quickly made their way to as far away as possible. Who knew what atrocity Mr. Isaac would unleash on the two girls? More importantly, who knew if it was going to be an AOE damage that would hit them as well. Also, Mr. Isaac could ignore the bullets, but these common students couldn’t. One screw-up by Caitlin would result in their unfortunate doom. They didn't survive this long just to be killed by a random bullet. 

Some of the classmates have pulled out their weapons as well. Most had knives and sticks. The more resourceful ones had handguns. Eric and his pals have already drawn their automatic rifles. 

A few of them found themselves truly tempted to intervene. Not to help the girls...no. They had to be stupid to do that! Instead, they wondered if they should step in and help Mr. Isaac absolutely crush the girls. Perhaps that would earn them the monster’s favor? 

Inside the ring, Zach’s mouth hung open. Deep down, he knew Caitlin made a stupid decision that might get herself and Katie killed. Nonetheless, he had to admit this feeling, knowing that someone was willing to die for you, felt really, really reassuring. 

Now, all eyes were trained on Mr. Isaac and Katie, wondering how Mr. Isaac would deal with the girl that assaulted him. Some of the most broken classmates even found themselves fantasizing about a few methods. 

In reality, Mr. Isaac was hardly as dominant as he appeared. In fact, he wanted to swear.

He didn't want to fight Katie. Not at all. He has seen rapid healing powers, and he has heard of masochists, but he has never seen such a perfect combination of overpowered rapid healing capabilities and absolute masochism. It was like a match made in the depth of hell, crafted by the most sickening minds. 

Even now, Katie’s arms were starting to heal. Normally, it would not matter. The sheer pain of the process could break a man. Repeat it a couple of times and the self-healer would be wishing her powers never existed. But...this might as well be a pleasure session for Katie. 

And then what? He couldn’t kill Katie. He couldn’t break her. He could kill Caitlin, her lover, but that would only unleash Katie’s full fury on her. Mr. Isaac knew very well that despite what the class thought about him, he was far from immortal or almighty. 

Sooner or later, he would open his eyes and find Katie standing over him, and when that happened, he would be wishing he stayed dead. 

Even worse, he couldn’t back down here, not with the entire class watching his every move. 

Mr. Isaac quickly made up his mind. With a single wave of the hand, he sent the ring of fire converging into the middle. The five students, including Zach, barely let out a scream before their bodies were erased from the surface of this world. 

It was a quick death. A merciful death. 

Before anyone could react, Mr. Isaac waved his hand again and sent everyone except for Katie and Caitlin back to the classroom. 

He tossed Katie back. The now fully healed girl quickly got up and stood beside Caitlin, who was shaking from anger. She just risked her own life and Katie’s, and she still had to watch Zach die in front of her.

Ultimately, her outburst did nothing. 

“Sorry, again.” Sensing Katie beside her, Caitlin whispered, somewhat guilty. Yesterday this time, she took on Mrs. Dent and would’ve been killed if Katie didn't step in. Now, she was taking on the beast himself? These games were driving her mad after all!

Katie laid a comforting arm onto her shoulder. “Well, I did promise to fight for you. I don’t care who. I don’t care why.”

In front of them, Mr. Isaac sighed. For a moment, he no longer looked like the terrifying undead abomination. Instead, he almost looked conflicted.

Finally, he decided this couldn’t go on anymore.

“Look, Katie Lockwood.” He said quietly. “How about we make a deal?”

“Deal?” Caitlin raised her eyebrows. This wasn’t Mr. Isaac’s style at all! Since when did he bother placing himself on equal ground as the students and striking deals with them? That was...uncharacteristic to say the least. He should be brutally murdering them! 

Mr. Isaac ignored Caitlin’s confusion. Caitlin wasn’t his problem. Instead, his eyes were trained on Katie. As the brunette remained silent, he continued. 

“Ok, I’ll admit it. I can’t kill you, and you can’t kill me...” 

“Wait, what?” Caitlin cut in once again as she glanced from Mr. Isaac to Katie and then back to Mr. Isaac again. “What do you mean? You can’t kill Katie?”

“You didn't tell her?” Mr. Isaac raised his eyebrows in surprise. 

“That’s enough.” Katie interrupted. 

“Katie!” 

Katie silently turned to the side. She didn't know how Caitlin would react to this information, but it was too late to turn back now. All she did was remain silent as Mr. Isaac continued. 

“You friend here…” Mr. Isaac proceeded. “she’s an immortal, or she seems like one as far as I can tell.”

“Immortal? As in…”

“As in I can break every bone in her body and burn every inch of her skin, flesh, and bone to ashes, and she will return in a matter of moments. As far as I can see, there are no limitations. I have no idea how.” There was a mixture of curiosity and fear in Mr. Isaac’s eyes. “Honestly, Katie, I don’t even think you’re human. I mean...throughout my life, I have never seen anything as...overpowered as you.”

“Well, considering your life started a few days ago, I wouldn’t be too surprised.” Katie scoffed. 

“Yeah…” Mr. Isaac’s expression changed slightly as he caught himself. Tossing that behind him, he turned to Katie. 

“Either way, here’s my deal, Katie. You can leave with your girlfriend over there. Just...leave this game. Leave this school. Get out of here. I swear I won’t lay a finger on you two from this day on. You know what...I’ll throw in some extra favor! I’ll maintain the effect of the curse on you two so you can do anything you want without fear of repercussions. Deal?”

“Wow…” Caitlin’s mouth hung open. “you...you are offering to let us go?”

“Yes!” It was obvious Mr. Isaac wasn’t too happy with this decision. 

“So we don’t have to play your games anymore?”

“That’s what I’m saying! Just get out of here!” Mr. Isaac was almost screaming. "I don’t want you two in my games!” Especially Katie...a big part of this game was about seeing the fear and despair in the students! Having someone as cheerful and insane as Katie in the games...it was like adding ketchup to a bowl of delicious soup!

It was more than sickening. It was a sin!

That was why he was having this conversation with the two girls in private. If the others saw him like this, his intimidation would be gone. They would still be forced to play his games, but they would most likely be laughing at him behind his back. 

Katie frowned darkly at the offer. If it was up to her, she would be more than happy to stay in the games just to piss off Mr. Isaac and see what other nightmares he would come up with in the future. But she had someone else to consider, and despite her every neuron screaming for her to go strive for as much fun as possible and screw everyone else, she refused to sabotage Caitlin’s way out. 

Katie wasn’t blind. She knew that the past two weeks for Caitlin have been nothing short of hell. She refused to be broken and corrupted like everyone else, and that was what made everything hurt even more. This opportunity here...it was something most of the class would kill for. If Mr. Isaac told them they could escape if they murdered someone, or maybe even their own parents, then they likely would’ve done it. This was how terrifying the games have been. 

If Caitlin wanted out, then Katie would take the deal. That was the most she could do as a friend. 

Realizing her intentions, Mr. Isaac turned to Caitlin as well. As much as he disregarded the blonde girl, it appeared like it was her decision that would either make or break his day. 

At that moment, Caitlin thought about a lot.  

She thought of Jessica, who was forced to end her life with a pair of scissors. She thought of Lucy, who was voted out by her fellow classmates and burned alive. She thought of Brian, who was put against her in a game of pain tolerance. Katie helped her, and Brian died screaming. 

She thought of the high school she, Katie, and Zach went to. The school where thousands of people, teachers and students alike, were wiped out in an endless series of slaughters and atrocities. Their fate would never be known to the world. 

She thought of the RCTV building. An entire floor of people, massacred just to stop the trio from exposing Mr. Isaac’s deeds. 

She thought of Zach, who was burned to ashes right in front of her just moments ago.

Yes. She could run, but what about everyone else? They would be left in this hell, picked off one by one in an orgy of despair and suffering. Vivian. Eric. Maybe even Terry. Boys and girls who had a bright future ahead of them, only to be shot down and broken bit by bit. 

She thought of Mrs. Dent and her class. If this was allowed to continue, how many more classes would suffer the same fate? How many more young men and women would see their lives abruptly ended? 

Could she live out the rest of her life, knowing that somewhere, her fellow classmates were suffering and dying by the droves? 

“It’s not my responsibility…” She whispered, more to herself than to anyone else. “They are not my responsibility! I...I don’t care about them…”

Caitlin was practically screaming at herself. In this world, it was every woman for herself! Only fools wouldn’t take this deal! She wasn’t a saint! She wasn’t a heroine! She wasn’t one of those idiots who would risk everything to save people who didn't give a damn about her! 

But...it was thousands of lives on the line! Could she really condemn them to the worst fate imaginable? 

Beside her, Katie laid a hand on her shoulder. Her meaning was clear. Whatever Caitlin’s decision was, she would stand by it until the end. 

And what was Caitlin’s decision? 

The blonde girl turned back to Mr. Isaac. Fury in her eyes. 

“No.”

“I’m sorry?”

“No. We will not leave this game. Kill me if you want, but as long as we draw breath, we will not let you get away with this!” 

“Oh, come on!” Mr. Isaac tossed his hands into the air. Almost desperate, he turned to Katie, hoping the girl would come to some senses. “What can I do to convince you? Do you want a harlem? Is that it? Fine! Vivian? Eric? Just take whoever you want and get out!”

“Tempting offer,” Katie scoffed. “but I’m actually quite focused romantically, so…”

Of course… Mr. Isaac thought to himself. Hoping Katie would be the sensible one? What was wrong with him…

“You will regret this. Both of you!” He said darkly before waving the two girls back to the classroom and disappearing without a trace. 

26