Chapter 2: Well, at least your eyes aren’t blue.
69 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

JON

In a state of panic, Jon pushed the Onion Knight away from him and retreated to the corner of the room, searching for any kind of weapon. Everything seemed wrong, even his own body. The scars on his chest were the kind that would normally be fatal, but where was the slash across his throat from Whittlestick? And why did Seaworth claim that Thorne was leading the mutiny? Jon had sent Thorne away beyond the Wall to either be useful or to die, so why was he back at Castle Black? How did he return? Where were the Queen's Men and the King's Men? He looked over and saw the door opening, revealing Melisandre with wide eyes, causing him to shrink away again. He had done his best to keep Mance's child and Aemon away from her, and he felt no sadness when he later heard that she and Selyse had taken their own lives, especially since it was him who had returned. But now she was here, posing a threat. At least he knew he could kill Davos, but why was Davos still alive?

"I don't understand. Wyman Manderly placed your head and fingerless hand on the walls of White Harbor a few weeks ago! How are you alive?"

Davos watched with a mixture of shock and fear, and spoke with hesitation.

Have Wyman Manderly and I ever met before? The only time I visited White Harbor was many years ago. Are you feeling okay?

Jon, with a bellow of rage, lifted his desk and threw it across the room.

"Okay! Do you think I'm fucking okay? My own people killed me and you're asking me if I'm okay? Maybe since I've been back I can handle what happened and not die, but Now you always say things that don't deserve a damn, It doesn't make any sense! "

If Jon had felt like laughing, the Onion Knight's face would have been amusing. The man cautiously stepped closer, but suddenly stopped in shock as he looked at his face.

"Your eyes, they're gray!"

Jon's face displayed a frown.

"My eyes are always gray, what are you talking about."

It was the time for Davos to stumble back in shock, gasping.

"No, they were brown, but a day ago when we brought you here. By the Seven, they were brown, not grey!

Jon's attention was drawn to a slight rustling in the corner of the room, and he felt relieved when he saw his faithful companion Ghost there. He knelt down and opened his arms, letting Ghost rush into them and cover his face with licks. Jon could feel their strong bond instantly. As he reached out with his mind to connect with Ghost, he suddenly found himself falling into a deep pit. When he woke up, he saw Dolorous Edd and Tormund Giantsbane standing over him. He felt a strange familiarity with them. The Red Woman's presence drew them away, leaving Jon and Melisandre in silence as they looked at each other. Finally, Melisandre spoke softly.

"I asked R'hllor for a vision of what you said before, and he granted me clarity. I saw a man who blinded your eyes and with the look of a Stark, living the life of Jon Snow that ended with daggers in the dark. just like this one until it brought you back."

"I am that one, the true version of myself."

"Perhaps they are all the real you. Perhaps R'hllor has given you knowledge of another life to better prepare you for the coming threats?"

"Well since the White Walkers are real and you brought me back from the dead, anything is possible." He stood up and looked out the window, and said "I would not want to waste a third chance."

Jon was aware that he needed to proceed cautiously. If he were to mention his alternate life, it would surely result in him being confined in the ice cells and labeled as crazier than his grandfather. The issue at hand was that he had no clue how to convincingly pretend to possess knowledge of every aspect of his life. A sudden burst of inspiration struck him, leading him to turn towards the Red Woman.

"Please call my steward, please?"

One of the brothers who mutinied against you was your steward.

"Satin tried to kill me?" Jon gasped.

"The name of your steward is Olly, there is no Satin here. You truly are from a different life, aren't you?"

John's mind began to race like horses galloping across open plains. Who else wasn't here, who didn't exist yet? Who could he trust? He turned to the Red Woman and growled:

"Bring Ed, Tormund and Ser Davos to me, and if you speak of this other life, I will not hesitate to kill you."

Melisandre stood up, gazed at him for a moment, then averted her gaze and softly spoke.

"I believe you would actually do that, although the Jon Snow I know would never have had the strength to make such a threat."

Jon's face twisted in confusion as she walked away, and he proceeded to adjust his desk. After a short while, the three individuals he had called for entered his room, wearing uncertain expressions.

Ed muttered that at least the Red Woman had said her magic may have changed his eyes, and they were not blue.

Davos was also gazing at him with worry.

"She also mentioned you were having memory problems. Is that why you thought I was dead?"

Jon let out a sigh and glanced at each person in the room.

"I want you to help me remember what happened. I fear that with everything that has happened, my mind is having difficulty accepting what is true and what is false."

Rickon had told better lies to Lady Stark, but they seemed to believe him without question, which he took note of. The three of them quickly discussed Jon's actions over the past year, and by the end of the conversation, all Jon wanted to do was bang his head against the Wall. He realized that Jon Snow, or at least this version of him, was incredibly foolish. It was no surprise that his own men had turned against him. And his failure to make a deal with the Free Folk only added to his incompetence. Jon wondered where the hostages were, and why Jon had made such reckless decisions.

Why were they not guarding the abandoned castles on the Wall? How could he have allowed them to pass by and start farming on the Gift, with just a vague promise of returning to the North when the Walkers arrived? He remained indifferent when they informed him of Grenn and Pyp's deaths, but it was easier for him since he had distanced himself from them before they departed for Eastwatch. Eventually, they fell silent, and he glanced up at them, feeling the chill of ice running through his veins once again.

"Where is the traitor?"

The Ice Cells, designed to be unlivable and inhumane, were cold and cramped. Jon briefly recalled how easily Alys' Uncle had been broken when thrown in there for a week. The man had become a shell, confessing his vows before the same weirwood tree that had witnessed his niece's marriage. While four of the six traitors were tougher, having spent time on the Wall, they too were beginning to crack. Jon learned that the other two men who had stabbed him had died during the capture of Castle Black, which he found to be a good outcome. Jon silently observed them until Marsh, one of the traitors, looked up in fear and shock, eventually breaking down and confessing like before.

"For the Watch? Was that really all you had to say to me? For the Watch?"

For some unknown reason, only Thorne and the boy Olly refrained from attempting to beg or plead their way out of the cells. Yarwick and Marsh, on the other hand, were sobbing and on their knees, with tears freezing on their faces. However, Jon paid them no attention. He had learned a long time ago not to cry on the Wall or display any emotions. This didn't mean he had to conceal the loathing and disgust he felt when he looked at the four individuals in front of him. Eventually, Thorne managed to stand up, spat at Jon's feet, and growled.

"I have no patience for your gloating, Lord Snow, so please just finish it. It was a curse serving under a bastard, especially a Stark, but I am done. Grab the block and end this."

Jon stared at Thorne for a very long time, not taking his eyes off him until the old and bitter knight had to look away. A thought came to Jon's mind, one that he believed his former self would have been too focused on honor to even consider, but not him. He didn't have time for honor, mercy, or anything else except his mission. He had once fled from the Wall, from Robb's Will, and from his own name, but not anymore. As long as the Boltons controlled Winterfell, the North would remain divided, and the Walkers would easily overpower them. Jon let a small smile appear on his face before he spoke softly.

"There will be no block or execution. Instead, you will be taken beyond the Wall, tied down, killed, and left to return as mindless wights. Your corpses will not be burned or buried, but kept to show the Northern Lords and Westeros the real threat. Rest assured, even in death, you will serve me, Ser Alliser."

Jon walked away from their shocked faces and made his way back to his chambers to pack. Ed entered his room slowly, with Davos following closely behind. He waited to look at them until they began to speak.

"I'm not sure I would advise you to do that. It might make men even more afraid of you than they already are. Or it could make them even more loyal to you, knowing that you will keep them fighting even after they die."

"No matter how you feel about my actions, I am instructing you to carry out my orders. Just to ease your mind, this will be the final command I give while I am here."

"What do you mean by the last one?"

Jon shrugged his shoulders.

"This won't end until I die. This is the oath of the Night's Watch, no? I died and therefore fulfilled my oath. My watch is over."

Of course, like last time, Ed tried to argue against him leaving, but Jon, like last time, wouldn't hear of it. Finally, he threw up his hands and stormed out of the room, leaving Jon and Ser Davos there. The older knight remained silent as he watched Jon pack his things before asking quietly:

"Is there anywhere in particular you want us to go first?"

"Us, Ser Davos?"

"Yes, I believe that because I was the one who persuaded Melisandre to revive you, I should stay by your side. Additionally, if anyone questions your departure, we can simply fabricate a story about Stannis freeing you from your vows and declaring you a Stark upon his death."

"I am not yet a Stark, but I hope you are prepared to move swiftly as our first stop is Greywater Watch. A letter awaits me there, along with a man who holds the answers I am ready to hear now."

4