Chapter 5: Thorns of suspicion
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Ela's room, the air was tinged with anticipation as Irene and Ela settled in, their laughter echoing off the walls as they reminisced about past adventures. But as Irene suggested visiting their secret hideout, Ela's expression faltered, a shadow of concern clouding her features.

"Irene, I don't know," With a hesitant start, Ela spoke. "My mother seemed suspicious earlier. I think it's best if I stay here."

Irene's eyes sparkled with excitement, her enthusiasm undeterred. "Oh, come on, Ela! Don't be such a worrywart. We'll be fine," She spoke reassuringly, a hint of persuasion lingering in her words.

Ela chewed her lip nervously, torn between her desire for adventure and her fear of arousing further suspicion. "But what if she finds out we're gone?" Her fretful murmur barely stirred the air..

Irene waved off her concerns with a dismissive gesture. "She won't, I promise. Besides, we'll be back before she even knows we're gone," she insisted, her tone filled with conviction.

Ela hesitated, her mind racing with thoughts of potential consequences. But in the end, the lure of adventure proved too strong to resist. With a reluctant nod, she gave in to Irene's persuasive arguments.

"Okay, fine," With a hint of doubt, she conceded. "But let's make it quick, alright?"

Irene grinned triumphantly, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "You won't regret it, Ela. I promise," she vowed, her tone filled with certainty.

Lady Adelia Grace paced restlessly in the stifling silence of her chambers, her expression marred by irritation with each glance out the window. The garden, usually a haven of tranquility, now played host to her daughter's escapade. The echoing laughter of Ela and Irene, which should have been joyful, grated on her nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

Looking away with a sigh, Adelia's eyes rested on her husband—Harrison—who sat by the fireplace, a furrow of concern etched on his brow. "Harrison," she started, her tone tense with anger. I cannot stand the sight of that Irene seducing Eleanore in this way, she is always here, spoiling our daughter's time with her horrid manners and irresponsible behavior.

Harrison met her gaze with a gentle expression, his eyes filled with understanding. "Adelia, perhaps you're being too harsh on Irene," he ventured, his tone gentle but firm. "Ela deserves some time to enjoy herself, and if she's careful, there's no harm in a little adventure."

Adelia's lips twisted into a scowl, her frustration boiling over. "Careful?" she scoffed, her voice dripping with disdain. "You know as well as I do that Eleanore lacks the sense to be cautious. She's already sneaking out of the palace, and it's all because of Irene!"

Harrison's expression softened with concern, his eyes pleading for understanding. "Adelia, I trust Ela. And I trust that she'll make the right decisions," A steely resolve laced his words as he insisted.

A surge of anger rippled through Adelia, her words tumbling out in frustration. "Trust her? How can you trust her when she's constantly defying us?" she retorted, her hands trembling with emotion. "You give her too much freedom, Harrison. And look where it's gotten us."

Harrison's shoulders sagged with defeat, His lips barely formed a whisper. "I just want our daughter to be happy, Adelia," he murmured, his gaze pleading for understanding. "Can't you see that?"

But Adelia's resolve remained unyielding, her frustration boiling over into anger. "Happiness? What good is happiness if it leads to ruin?" With a sharp snap, she launched into an accusation."I won't stand by and watch as Eleanore's future is destroyed by that girl."

With a steely glare, Lady Adelia turned to the guard stationed at the door, Her words cut through the air, imbued with authority. "Order a guard to follow Irene and Eleanore," she commanded, her tone leaving no room for argument. "I want to know every move they make."

Harrison's protests fell on deaf ears as Adelia's anger flared, her patience worn thin by her husband's resistance. "It's unnecessary, Adelia," He pleaded, desperation weaving through his words. "They're just children, for heaven's sake."

But Adelia's resolve remained unyielding as she turned to face her husband, her eyes flashing with fury. "I will not take any chances, Harrison," she snapped, her words a sharp rebuke. "I refuse to let Eleanore be led astray any longer."

With a swift motion, she silenced his protests with a cutting glance, her determination unwavering in the face of opposition. "Send the guard," she ordered, An air of absolute command emanated from her pronouncements.

Amidst the escalating tension, Adelia's anger bubbled to the surface as she summoned a guard with a piercing glare, Her words cut like a knife, sharp with spite. "Follow Irene and Eleanore," she commanded, her tone cutting like a whip. "Bring Eleanore back the moment you uncover their whereabouts. Do not fail me."

Harrison, attempting to quell Adelia's wrath, approached cautiously, His words calmed the air. "Adelia, calm yourself. This is unnecessary," he implored, his words falling on deaf ears.

But Adelia's fury refused to be quelled as she turned on her husband, her words sharp as knives. "I will not be questioned, Harrison," she snapped, her tone seething with disdain. "Do not dare to defy me."
The guard, sensing the volatile atmosphere, awaited further instructions tentatively. "And what of the other girl?" he dared to inquire.

Adelia's eyes narrowed to slits, Her words held an unmistakable coldness. "She means nothing to me," she spat, her contempt palpable. "Had I not known her parents I would have ordered you to let her rot in that forest, do with her as you see fit."

The guard swallowed hard, his gaze faltering under Adelia's fierce stare. "Yes, my lady," he stammered, his voice trembling.
Adelia's lips curled into a cold smile as she leaned in close, her threat chilling to the bone. "See that you do as instructed," she hissed, her eyes ablaze with menace. "For if you fail in your duty, you will face consequences far worse than you can imagine."

As the guard trailed behind Ela and Irene through the dense forest, a sense of unease gnawed at him. His footsteps fell silent against the leaf-strewn path, but his thoughts echoed loudly in the quiet of his mind.

"I shouldn't be doing this," he muttered under his breath, his conscience weighing heavily on his shoulders. "But Lady Grace's orders are absolute. I have no choice."

Memories of Lady Grace's cold demeanor and the swift, merciless punishments she had meted out to disobedient servants flooded his mind. He had witnessed firsthand the consequences of crossing her, and the thought of facing her wrath made his blood run cold.

"I'm just a pawn in her game," he thought bitterly, his steps faltering momentarily as he grappled with his guilt. "But if it means protecting Ela, then I suppose I must." He persisted in deceiving himself, hoping that the lies woukd soothe his conscience regarding throwing Ela into lady grace's wrath.

As he continued to shadow Ela and Irene through the forest, his heart heavy with regret, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was betraying them both. But with each step, he reminded himself of the greater good, the desperate hope that his actions would ultimately keep Ela safe from harm.

Finally, as they arrived at the abandoned shack hidden deep within the woods, the guard's heart clenched with a mixture of relief and apprehension. He watched from a distance as Ela and Irene disappeared inside, his mind awash with conflicting emotions.

"I'm sorry, Ela," he whispered into the stillness of the forest, his voice barely a whisper. "I hope you can forgive me someday."

0