C39 Leave Or Stay?
335 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Check out early access chapters on my Patréon, currently 10 chapters ahead! 

🚨Patréon Link🚨

——————

In the aftermath of the fierce battle on Coruscant, the once vibrant air was thick with the scent of charred metal, blood, and the undercurrent of both victory and loss. 

The Jedi Temple, a beacon of peace and justice, had been the unexpected stage for a confrontation that would leave its mark on the galaxy's history. Peter stood amidst the ruins, his gaze sweeping over the scene with a weary diligence.

As the cleanup began, the city's police force arrived, far too late to assist in the battle, but not too late to help with the cleanup. With precision and a somber dedication, they navigated the battlefield alongside the Jedi, documenting evidence and gathering the fallen. 

Their questions were methodical, aimed at piecing together the events that led to the attack. Though Peter and Yoda offered their accounts, the details seemed almost unbelievable, especially as they explained the fact that this was all over a runaway 12-year-old girl. 

After all, what type of maniac would send a homicidal army off to the capital of the Galactic Republic just to retrieve a runaway child?

'Apparently, Thanos would…' Peter thought as he carted both Nebula and Gamora's unconscious bodies to the Jedi Temples Infirmary for medical attention. 

Of course, the news of the attack reached the Senate with alarming speed, sending ripples of concern and outrage through its members. 

An emergency session was called, voices raised not just in grief for the loss of life but in fear of an unknown enemy powerful and brazen enough to strike at the heart of the Jedi Order. 

The few Jedi guards who had fallen in defense of the temple were honored, their names added to the long list of heroes who had given their lives in the service of a peaceful Republic.

But it was the holonet that carried the news beyond the polished halls of the Senate and into the homes of citizens galaxy-wide. Footage of the battle, captured by surveillance drones and bystanders, circulated with viral intensity. Each clip, each image, served as a reminder of how dangerous the Galaxy could be, even in the heart of the Republic. 

The attackers, still largely unidentified, became the subject of widespread speculation and fear. No one knew why they had attacked or what their endgame might be, but most wrote it off as some sort of vendetta against the Jedi.

Speaking of the Jedi, as the footage of the battle flooded the holonet, an unexpected shift began to take root among the galaxy's populace. 

Before the attack, public opinion of the Jedi had been waning, significantly influenced by Count Dooku's eloquent speech that painted the Order in a questionable light. His words, persuasive and filled with conviction, had sown seeds of doubt and mistrust, challenging the Jedi's role and authority within the Republic.

However, the video of the Jedi fighting off gruesome-looking invaders—Peter and Yoda, in particular—standing valiantly against two rather frightening foes began to counteract the Count's narrative. 

Citizens watched as lightsabers clashed against the advanced weaponry of their assailants, the Jedi moving with grace and power, protecting the Temple as well as the planet. The footage highlighted their bravery, their sacrifice, and their unwavering resolve in the face of overwhelming odds.

In the aftermath, as discussions filled the comment sections, chat rooms, and forums of the holonet, a notable shift in public sentiment emerged. Where once there had been skepticism and uncertainty, there was now a growing respect and admiration for the Jedi. 

People began to question the validity of Dooku's claims, comparing his words against the actions of the Jedi they witnessed on screen. The stark contrast between the narratives began to unravel the Count's carefully constructed image of the Jedi.

The public's approval of the Jedi, bolstered by the visual proof of their heroism and dedication, saw a significant resurgence. Stories of individual acts of bravery throughout the years had begun to surface. 

Suddenly, everyone who's ever met a Jedi began to share their encounters. Tales of heroism, of healers tending to the sick and wounded, and of the Order's efforts to keep the peace in and out of the Republic became common across the holonet. 

These stories, shared from person to person, planet to planet, served as a powerful counter-narrative to Dooku's accusations.

Of course, some people had either unsavory intentions or unfortunate interactions with the Jedi, as a small fraction of stories weren't as heartwarming and uplifting as the rest, though the good seemed to far outweigh the bad.

This resurgence of approval did not erase all doubts or heal all wounds, but it marked a crucial turning point. The Jedi's actions on that fateful day on Coruscant became a beacon of hope for many, a reminder of the ideals and values that had long been associated with the Order. 

In the battle's aftermath, as the galaxy sought to make sense of the violence and fear, the image of the Jedi as protectors of peace and justice was, for many, restored. This renewed faith in the Jedi Order provided a much-needed foundation for unity and resilience in the uncertain times that seemed to lay ahead.

————

As Coruscant and the Republic grappled with the aftermath, Peter found himself at a crossroads. 'Should I stay or should go?' Sat in the waiting room outside the infirmary, where both Nebula and Gamora were being treated, Peter's mind raced back and forth.

'I need to make a decision,' he silently urged himself, a habit he picked up whenever the weight of decision felt too heavy on his shoulders. The question of staying with the Jedi or becoming a stowaway on the next ship off of Coruscant had been haunting him since the dust settled on the battlefield.

'I could pack my things and be gone before the sun rises...' The thought was tempting, an easy out that appealed to the part of him that had spent years trapped in this very temple. But as he mulled it over, another voice, deeper and more steadfast, began to counter his instinct to flee.

'But can I really just leave everyone behind… Aayla, Yoda, Revan, Windu…' Peter had always been a loner in both lives, skillfully avoiding connections with anyone outside of his family. Yet, as he stood in the Jedi Temple, surrounded by people he cared for and who cared for him in return, fleeing seemed less like an option and more like deserting his loved ones to die alone. 

'Thanos,' the name alone was enough to send a shiver down his spine. The mad titan's wrath was legendary, and with Nebula and Gamora here and Proxima and Corvus's deaths, retribution seemed more and more likely. 

But then, his thoughts drifted to Yoda. The Jedi Grandmaster had shown a strength and ability that went beyond anything Peter had ever expected from him.

'Maybe Yoda and the rest of the Jedi could stand a chance?' Peter thought, especially if Thanos doesn't have the infinity stones. 'Wait… Are the Infinity Stones a thing in this universe?' He wondered, seeing it as a fifty-fifty chance as this is two separate universes smashed together.  

The odds weren't amazing, but they weren't zero either. 'And even if he does come, and we lose, I can still prepare an emergency escape plan… One that includes the people I care about as well…'

Soon enough, Peter's resolve solidified. 'Running might keep me safe for a while, but it won't keep them safe. Thanos may come, but he might not as well. But if he does, he'll find us ready. And if there's even a sliver of a chance, then it's worth the risk.'

With a deep breath, Peter's decision was made. He wasn't going to run; he was going to stand with the Jedi, with Yoda, Aayla, and Windu, and face the Mad Titan, should he actually come knocking. 

It wasn't just the hope that Thanos might not come that anchored him, but the realization that he had come to see the Jedi Temple as his home. In the heart of uncertainty, Peter found a place and people worth fighting for, and he wasn't willing to give them up so easily. 

'Together, we've at least got a fighting chance. And hey, who knows? Maybe Thanos won't come…' Peter mused, knowing full well these thoughts were just wishful thinking on his part. 

As Peter made up his mind, suddenly, the doors swung open, and in walked Yoda, a tired look on his aged face. After all, he's been busy since the battle came to a close. 

Taking a seat beside Peter, Yoda, looking weary yet composed, finally broke the silence. "How fare Nebula and her sister, hmm?"

Peter shrugged, a gesture of concern mixed with hope. "Docs say they'll be fine—bruises, cuts, and maybe a concussion each from duking it out. I'm just here to make sure nothing else pops up." He said, turning to Yoda, "How has the cleanup been going?"

"Messy, it is. Tired, I am." Yoda answered, his expression turning pensive. After a moment, he asked, "What you said to Dooku outside the temple, before the attack… Truly feel that way about the Jedi, do you?"

Peter recalled his earlier words, 'They're elitist, uptight, rigid know-it-alls, each of them more stuck in their ways than the last. They misdefine attachment and emotions to a concerning degree, and even ban them as if suddenly emotions won't exist anymore just because they decreed it. And finally, they spend all of their time in their actual ivory towers, ignoring the Galaxy's problems, unless of course, the Republic calls upon them for help.'

Peter met Yoda's gaze, noting the sadness there. He took a deep breath. "Yeah, I do. I mean, sometimes, it just feels like we're so far removed from the normal, everyday people. Like, with the whole ban on emotions and attachments—it's like pretending a part of being alive doesn't exist. And staying holed up in this temple, it keeps us out of touch with the rest of the galaxy."

Yoda's frown deepened, a weight of centuries in his eyes. But before he could respond, Peter quickly added, "But, that's not the whole picture. I've seen first-hand the good that the Jedi can and has done. Like today, and with all those stories going around. The Jedi heal, protect, and stand up for peace. That's… that's noble. And it makes a real difference."

The room brightened as a smile cracked Yoda's solemn demeanor. "See the flaws, you do, but also the good. Important, that is."

Peter leaned back into his chair, a thoughtful look on his face. "Exactly. No one's perfect, right? But it's about trying to be better. That's what counts. The Jedi do so much good, and yeah, there are issues, but which multilevel organization doesn't have them? What matters is confronting those issues and overcoming them, which the Jedi seem to have a problem doing." He admitted, giving Yoda one last bit of criticism. 

Yoda nodded, his eyes twinkling with a newfound energy. "Wise, you are, Peter. Remind me, you do, that always room for improvement, there is. And forget, we must not, the difference we make."

Their conversation veered into the night, and as they talked, Peter couldn't help but feel a deep connection to this little master of his. Despite his power and wisdom, Yoda wasn't stuck in his ways like most Jedi. 

No, he appreciated the perspective of a Padawan like Peter, which ignited a newfound hope for the future of the Jedi Order with Yoda at its helm. 

As their discussion came to a close and Yoda departed to attend to additional tasks before retiring for the night, Peter rose from his seat to check on Nebula and Gamora. 

And just as he took a step toward the infirmary door, suddenly, it burst open. A disoriented and perplexed Gamora dashed out, pursued closely by a Jedi Doctor, her eyes widening as she bumped into Peter. "?!"

A/N: 2032 words :) 🚨Patréon Link🚨

27