Chapter 13: A Day at the Office
361 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Entering Catco building, Kara greeted her colleagues with a warm smile, masking any hint of the disquiet that still lingered within her. The bustling newsroom was alive with activity as reporters typed furiously on their keyboards and editors huddled together in intense discussions.

"Morning, Kara!" Jessica, one of the senior reporters, called out from across the room, her voice bright and cheery.

"Good morning, Jessica!" Kara replied with equal enthusiasm, her smile widening as she made her way to her desk.

As she settled into her workstation, Kara started working but couldn't shake the feeling of unease and restlessness as she was not able to concentrate.

"Kara, are you okay?" Maya, a fellow reporter, approached her with a concerned expression. "You seem a little... off today."

Kara forced a smile, nodding reassuringly. "Yeah, I'm fine, just a bit tired, I guess."

Maya frowned, clearly unconvinced, but she didn't press the issue further. Instead, she offered Kara a supportive pat on the shoulder before returning to her own desk.

With a shake of her head, Kara pushed aside the distracting thoughts and focused on the task at hand.

However, as she delved into her work, Kara still found herself struggling to concentrate. Try as she might, her thoughts kept drifting, unable to focus on the report she was supposed to be working on.

"Come on, Kara, focus," she muttered to herself, tapping her pen against the desk in frustration.

But no matter how hard she tried, her mind refused to cooperate, flitting from one thought to the next like a butterfly darting between flowers. It was as if her thoughts had a mind of their own, stubbornly resisting her attempts to rein them in.

"Kara, are you making any progress on that report?" Lisa, a fellow reporter, called out from across the room, her tone laced with curiosity.

Kara glanced up, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "Uh, not really. I'm having trouble concentrating today."

Lisa nodded sympathetically, offering Kara a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it. We all have off days."

With a grateful nod, Kara returned her attention to the report, determined to push through the mental fog that clouded her thoughts. But try as she might, her efforts proved fruitless, frustration bubbling beneath the surface as she struggled to make sense of the jumble of words on the page.

"Maybe a change of scenery will help," she mused aloud, pushing back from her desk and making her way to the break room.

As she poured herself a cup of coffee and took a sip, Kara closed her eyes and took a deep breath, willing herself to push aside distractions that begin to overwhelm her. 

After finishing the cup and with renewed determination she returned to her desk. She got ready to tackle the day's tasks.

But Kara was still not able to concentrate and with a sigh of resignation, Kara abandoned her futile attempts at productivity and found herself idly scrolling through her phone, checking emails and messages with little interest. Her thumb swiped across the screen in a rhythmic motion, navigating through the endless stream of notifications that clamored for her attention.

She tapped on her email app, her eyes skimming over the subject lines of the numerous messages that filled her inbox. Most were mundane which was a mix of work-related updates, promotional offers, and spams. As Kara went through the work related emails, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of her stomach. The tasks were numerous and time-consuming, requiring her full attention and focus but it was something she was sorely lacking at the moment.

With a frustrated sigh, Kara closed the email and returned to her home screen, her mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts and emotions. She knew she needed to get back to work, to tackle the mountain of tasks that awaited her, but the mere thought of it filled her with a sense of dread.

Instead, she found herself opening her messaging app, scrolling through the endless stream of conversations that filled her inbox. There were messages from friends, family, and colleagues, each one vying for her attention in their own way.

One message, in particular, caught her eye which was text from a friend, with a link to a funny cat video. Despite her best intentions to focus on work, Kara couldn't resist the temptation. With a soft chuckle, she tapped on the link, her lips quirking into a smile as she watched the antics of the playful feline.

The vibrant screen illuminated her face, casting a soft glow as she tapped absentmindedly at the screen.

"Any news on that story, Kara?" Maya approached her desk with a hint of curiosity.

Kara glanced up, her attention torn away from her phone. "Uh, no, not yet. I'm still working on it."

Maya nodded understandingly, though a hint of skepticism lingered in her eyes. "Well, let me know if you need any help."

With a grateful smile, Kara nodded, her gaze returning to her phone as Rachel walked away. But despite her colleague's offer of assistance, Kara knew that she was the only one who could shake off the mental fog that clouded her thoughts.

Minutes turned into hours as she wasted away the morning, her mind trapped in a fog of distraction. The contents on her phone blurred together, soon forgotten as she scrolled past them.

It was only when the lunch hour approached that Kara finally set aside her phone, the realization dawning on her that she had accomplished nothing of significance all morning. Frustration bubbled beneath the surface as she chastised herself for succumbing to distraction so easily.

"Kara, are you heading out for lunch?" Jessica's voice interrupted her thoughts, her tone tinged with concern.

Kara looked up, her expression weary. "I think I'll pass today, Jessica. I've got some catching up to do."

Jessica frowned, clearly sensing Kara's frustration. "Are you sure? You look like you could use a break."

Kara offered her a weak smile. "Thanks, Jessica, but I think I'll be okay. I just need to clear my head a bit."

With a sympathetic nod, Jessica left Kara to her thoughts, disappearing into the bustling newsroom.

Rising from her desk, Kara stretched her stiff muscles and took a deep breath, steeling herself for the task she had to complete that lay ahead for today.

With a determined shake of her head, Kara resolved to make better use of her time in the afternoon.

It wasn't until the afternoon sun cast long shadows across her desk that Kara finally surrendered to the inevitable. Pushing back her chair with a defeated sigh, she admitted defeat, her shoulders slumping in resignation.

Kara then returned her attention to her phone, her fingers moving mechanically as she scrolled through her messages and notifications. Kara whiled away the remainder of her time, her mind numbed by the endless stream of information flashing before her eyes.

1