Chapter 14: Assignment
296 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kara's thoughts drifted to the meeting she had scheduled with Alex Grant, son of Cat Grant, the CEO of Catco Worldwide Media. She glanced at the clock, realizing with a start that it was almost time for their appointment.

Gathering her belongings, Kara made her way to Alex's office, her steps slow and measured. She knocked on the door, waiting for his invitation before stepping inside.

"Ah, Kara, right on time," Alex greeted her with a warm smile, motioning for her to take a seat. "I have an important assignment for you."

Perking up at the prospect of a new task, Kara leaned forward in her seat. "I'm all ears, Alex," she said, her voice eager as she awaited his instructions.

Alex smiled at her enthusiasm, pleased by her eagerness to take on the challenge. "The National City Charity Ball will be on Wednesday," he began. "It's an annual event attended by the city's elite. It's a chance for them to come together mingle and support worthy causes on the side."

Kara nodded, already picturing the glamorous affair in her mind. "Sounds like a big deal," she commented.

"It is," Alex affirmed, nodding in agreement. "Which is why Catco has secured exclusive coverage rights for the event. And I'm entrusting you with the responsibility of covering it firsthand."

A surge of pride swelled within Kara at the vote of confidence from her boss. "I won't let you down, Alex," she vowed.

"I know you won't," Alex replied, his expression serious. "This assignment is crucial for Catco. I need you to go there and capture the essence of the evening. I want you to interview attendees, snap photos, and write a compelling piece that will grab our readers' attention."

Kara listened intently, committing every detail to memory as she mentally prepared herself for the task ahead.

"Consider it done."

After Alex dismissed her from his office, Kara gathered her belongings and made her way out of the Catco building. The sun was beginning to dip below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the bustling streets of National City as Kara stepped outside.

Despite the fact that her working time was over and she hadn't accomplished much during the day, Kara felt strangely unbothered by it. She walked through the streets of National City with a lightness in her step, her mind oddly at ease despite the fact that she should have sensed that something was amiss. As she navigated the bustling sidewalks, she couldn't help but marvel at the vibrant energy of the city around her.

Passing by a group of street performers, Kara paused to admire their talents, a faint smile playing at the corners of her lips. Normally, she would have felt a twinge of guilt for indulging in such frivolous distractions in such an unproductive day, but today, she found herself reveling in the moment without a care in the world.

After admiring, Kara began the familiar journey home, her mind drifting aimlessly as she navigated the crowded sidewalks. The rhythmic hum of the city surrounded her, a comforting backdrop to her wandering thoughts. As she rounded a corner, her attention was drawn to a sudden commotion up ahead. It was a pregnant woman, her face twisted in anguish, desperately pleading with a shadowy figure who had snatched her purse.

"Please, give it back!" the woman cried, her voice trembling with fear and desperation.

Kara's heart skipped a beat as she watched the scene unfold, a surge of adrenaline coursing through her veins.

Instinct kicked in, and Kara reacted without hesitation. The pregnant woman's cries for help spurred her into action, her muscles tensing as she launched herself forward with speed.

Normally, she would have effortlessly disarmed the thief, using her superhuman strength and agility to retrieve the stolen purse without causing harm.

But today, something was different. With a surge of unexpected aggression, Kara lunged forward, her movements almost primal as she seized the thief by the arm with a forceful grip.

"Hey!" Kara's voice rang out.

Kara continued to use more of her unreasonable strength that was not required on the thief, who was a mortal man.

The thief let out a startled yelp as Kara's grip tightened, his eyes widening in disbelief as he felt the pressure on his arm increase exponentially.

"Ahh!" The thief's cry was sharp and pained as his shoulder gave way under the strain and snapped under the pressure of Kara's grip. Tears welled in his eyes as he cradled his injured arm, the realization of his mistake dawning on him.

"Please, let me go!" the thief pleaded, his voice trembling with fear and agony as he clutched his injured arm, unable to comprehend the sudden turn of events.

Kara's expression remained impassive, her gaze unwavering as she stared down at the man before her as she released her hold on the thief's arm.  There was no trace of remorse in her eyes, only a steely determination as she retrieved the stolen purse from his grasp.

"I suggest you think twice before attempting something like this again," she said, her voice low and menacing, a warning laced with an underlying threat. With that, she turned away from the trembling thief, her attention shifting back to the pregnant woman who stood nearby, her eyes wide with shock and gratitude.

"Are you alright?" Kara asked as she approached the woman, offering her the retrieved purse with a gentle smile. "Here, I believe this belongs to you."

The woman nodded, her hands trembling as she took the purse from Kara's outstretched hand, tears of relief welling in her eyes. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't come along."

Kara offered her a reassuring smile, her own heart pounding with a mix of adrenaline and confusion. Despite the intensity of the moment, she couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right.

But as she watched the grateful woman disappear into the crowd, Kara pushed aside her doubts, chalking it up to the stress of the day.

 

3