Chapter 5: The Art of Survival: Crafting Survival Essentials
62 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: The Art of Survival: Crafting Survival Essentials

“Ah… I’m going to need lots of these relaxing meals after this.”

But, at least I improved my combat abilities although it doesn’t seem to be my strong point. I need to be more careful and avoid encounters as much as possible.

“Status.”

------

[General]

Name: Eloweth

Race: Elven

Guild: None

Age: 10

[Stats]

HP: 90/110

MP: 200/200

Physical Attack: 3

Magical Attack: 1

Physical Defense: 2

Magical Defense: 1

Accuracy: 11

Movement Speed: 110

Magical Affinity: Enhancement

[Levels]

Strength: 1

Dexterity: 2

Magic: 1

Skills:

[Active]

[Passive]

[Racial]

Nature Affinity

Agility

[Unique]

Enchanted Eats

[Equipment]

Weapon: Rough Wooden Bow

Jewelry: Sylvan Guardian Amulet

Accessory: None

Headgear: None

Torso: Cloth tunic

Legs: Cloth tunic

Gloves: None

Boots: Cloth boots

[Buffs]

[High Spirits] 2 hours remaining

------

Well, there’s some improvement. Oh and it seems my defense went up by one point by leveling up dexterity, and my HP points increased as well. Well, that sounds good. However, I’m still going to avoid fighting as much as possible. I’m not strong, and I don’t know much about the creatures of the forest other than what I’ve heard in my village, it’s too risky. I’m going to be extremely alert and if I hear something approaching I'll just run away with all my might.

I need to stock up more arrows anyway, in case I have to use them again. But, more importantly, I need to focus on my basic needs right now. I have to find a way to preserve and carry this meat and find some water.

Drawing her rustic bow aside, Emily retrieved the sharp-edged rock from her pouch, using it as a crude knife to begin the task of butchering the animal.

With focused determination, she carefully carved into the boar's flesh, separating the meat from the bone. With each precise cut, she salvaged as much of the valuable meat as possible, mindful of the importance of every scrap for her survival in the wilderness.

Once the meat was harvested, she turned her attention to preserving it for future use. Surveying the forest around her, she searched for suitable plants with natural preservative properties. She spotted a bay tree nearby. Emily recalled her elven tribe used them as a natural food preservative. She gathered its leaves eagerly, knowing their antimicrobial qualities would help to ward off spoilage.

I feel I learned more about life in these ten years of memories that I have from this elven kid, than in forty years of life on Earth. I only knew how to get to work and barely get through the day. How crazy is that..

With the thornhide boar butchered and the aromatic bay leaves gathered, she wasted no time in preserving the precious meat for future sustenance. With each leaf carefully selected, she arranged them strategically around the raw meat, layering them to ensure thorough coverage.

As she worked, the fragrant aroma of the bay leaves filled the air, their natural oils infusing the meat with their distinctive flavor. With deft fingers, she wrapped the bundle tightly with strips of tough vine, securing the bay leaves in place and sealing in the meat's freshness.

Then, she bound the bundle together with strips of tough vine, securing it tightly to prevent any air from reaching the meat and hastening its decay.

“Bayleaf Meat Pouches:

Infused with the natural antimicrobial properties of bay leaves, these pouches can preserve meat for up to five days.”

With the meat preserved to the best of her ability, and bundled securely, she realized the need for a reliable bag to carry not only her provisions but also her essential belongings, including the sharp stone she used for crafting. Surveying the forest around her, she sought out materials that could be fashioned into a sturdy bag.

Spotting a patch of supple bark from a nearby tree, she carefully peeled it away, mindful not to damage it in the process. She folded and manipulated the bark, shaping it into a pouch-like structure large enough to accommodate her needs.

Using strips of tough vine, she bound the edges of the bark together, reinforcing the seams to ensure the bag's durability, each knot tied securely.

Once the bag was complete, she carefully placed the preserved meat inside, along with her other belongings, including the sharp stone she used for crafting. With the weight of the bag settled comfortably on her shoulder, she set off towards her next tasks.

"Forestbound Satchel:

A handcrafted pouch made from pliable tree bark, its seams reinforced with vine strips for added strength, perfectly suited for an adventurer's essentials."

As the sun began to set, she set out on her journey through the forest, her first task clear in her mind: find water. With each step, she scanned the landscape, searching for any sign of a stream or a spring. Hours passed, and her throat grew dry with thirst, but still, no water appeared.

Ah… I am so thirsty. Those fruits have some juice in it but after walking and exerting myself all day, I really need to drink some water.

Just as despair threatened to overwhelm her, she stumbled upon a majestic live tree with a hollow trunk. Instantly, she knew it would make the perfect base for her night's sleep. With a sense of relief, she made a mental note to return later. Now she needed to find water.

Continuing her search, she finally came across a small spring glistening in the fading light. Though it wasn't too close to the hollow trunk, it was a welcome discovery.

She knelt beside the glistening water, her hands cupping the precious liquid as she greedily gulped it down, each drop offering salvation in her desperate thirst.

Thirst quenched, she turned her attention to her next task: finding a way to carry water back to her makeshift camp.

Luck was on her side as she stumbled upon a gourd plant nearby. Without hesitation, she set to work, crafting a makeshift container from the gourd.

She knew she would need to rely on her ingenuity and resourcefulness once again to prepare the gourd for use.

Emily set to work, using the rock to carefully carve away the top of the gourd, creating a makeshift opening for drinking. With each precise movement, she worked methodically, ensuring the integrity of the gourd remained intact despite the lack of specialized tools.

Once the opening was carved to her satisfaction, she turned her attention to some leaves, fashioning them into a crude stopper to seal the gourd and prevent spillage during her journey. And so, she wove the leaves together, creating a tight seal that would hold firm against the weight of the water within.

Rising to her feet, she held the gourd in her hands, grateful for the gift of sustenance provided by the forest's bounty.

“Gourd Bottle:

A natural bottle, perfect for carrying water and as a food container.”

Now, with her improvised water vessel finished, she filled it to the brim with cool, refreshing water from the spring.

With the gourd plant serving as a valuable resource, she seized the opportunity to craft not only the water bottle but also a makeshift bowl for her meals.

Using the same sharp stone she had been using for her crafts, she carefully carved into the flesh of the gourd, hollowing out the center to create a shallow bowl-like shape. With each precise stroke, she sculpted the gourd into a functional container, mindful of its strength and resilience.

Once satisfied with the size and shape of the bowl, she smoothed the edges and removed any rough patches, ensuring a comfortable dining experience without the risk of injury.

With water secured, and a bowl so that she doesn’t have to eat directly from a hot stone, she made her way back to the hollow trunk, her heart light with anticipation.

“Gourd Bowl:

A natural bowl, perfect as a food container.”

Arriving at her chosen campsite, Emily set about preparing for the night ahead. She began clearing away fallen leaves and twigs from the entrance of the hollow, preparing the ground for her makeshift bedroom. Carefully, she inspected the interior, ensuring it was free from any lurking dangers or unwelcome guests.

Using her keen survival instincts, she gathered dried leaves from the forest floor, meticulously arranging them within the hollow to form a cozy nest for her rest. With each handful carefully placed, the hollow transformed into a welcoming refuge against the night's chill.

The entrance was slightly elevated, making it hard to climb and get out, so she fashioned a small ladder from sturdy branches, carefully securing them against the trunk of the tree. Each step was tested and adjusted until it provided a stable ascent, allowing her to easily climb into her elevated refuge. With a final glance, she reinforced the entrance with a woven lattice of vines, ensuring her safety and privacy throughout the night.

She carefully propped her rustic bow against the entrance of the hollow. Its presence served as a silent guardian against any potential threats that dared to approach and attempt to enter during the night.

With a satisfied nod, she settled in for the night, her new home offering both refuge and reassurance in the wilderness.

As the last light of day faded into night, she settled into her cozy bedroom within the hollow trunk, grateful for the small comforts the forest had provided. With the gentle sound of rustling leaves, she drifted off into a peaceful sleep, knowing she was safe and sheltered beneath the canopy of the trees.

4