Chapter 1
356 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A young man could be seen lying naked on a bed. He was lying motionless with a big hole the size of a normal person's fist in the middle of his chest.

**Squeak..Squeak** 

Suddenly, a squirrel hopped on top of the body and started chewing on his ears. Apparently, the squirrel didn't like the taste so, after chewing a little bit it hopped away.  

As the squirrel left, a portal opened underneath the body as the body got sucked into it.  

The body started falling downwards...? Upwards....? There was no sense of direction about where the body was heading. It fell for a long time before reaching another portal, which looked more like a crack.  

The corpse got sucked into the crack but it led to nowhere; the corpse still falling into the endless abyss. However, after many hours, days or years, if it had any meaning here in the first place, one could see the corpse's eye fluttering. 

——————————  

'...Agh'  

A groan came out in my mind as I tried to open my eyes, but I soon realized that I couldn't feel it. I couldn't feel anything: my body, my arms, my legs. I could feel nothing.  

Then something suddenly clicked in my mind, and it all came rushing back to me. I was a 25-year-old ex-soldier with my lower body paralyzed named Axton. I didn't have that much combat experience, and my combat ability during tests was average. I was sleeping when someone came into my room and shot me with a tranquilizer or something; that is the last thing I remember.  

'Now what is happening and where am I?'  

After trying to feel my eyes and still getting no response, I tried focusing on my ears to hear my surroundings, but I still couldn't feel anything.  

'It seems like I'm dead if I'm being optimistic, but if not, it looks like somebody injected me with some sort of paralysis agent...'  

'I have no idea what someone would want from me though… I did not even possess something valuable to begin with, even then a paralysis agent is probably overkill so, they most probably aren’t doing this to achieve any materialistic value… perhaps it has something to do with me.’ 

'What if I'm going to be experimented upon?.......No, Stop overthinking Axton, nothing is gonna happen. That tranquilizer thing was a dream and this is just sleep paralysis.'  

'Yes, that's it, Axton, Think positive and everything will be ok, just wait patiently and it will end.'     

One Minute Later  

'Everything is going to be alright, think positive things Axton, think of what Batman would do in this situation.'  

Several hours later  

'.. That's it, Axton, come on you can do it move those fucking eyelids, even though you can't feel it, do it.'  

After trying for several hours I think, I could finally move my eyelids a little. I could only see a little bit of light through the small hole that opened when I tried moving my eyelids.  

‘Come on Axton you can do it just a little bit more.’ 

‘What the fuck?’ was the first thing I thought when I succeeded in fully opening my eyes.  

I was seeing something indescribable. It was like I was seeing everything simultaneously. After breaking myself out of the trance, I started trying to move my hands but it seemed futile.  

Even though it seemed futile I preserved and then, several minutes later, I was finally able to move my hands. The weirdest thing was that I still couldn’t feel them. It was as if I was moving my body not by controlling it through the nerves but something else entirely. 

Just as I was going to try moving my neck to look around, some type of wave of energy burst forth and collided with me.  

‘Arghh…’, I groaned in my mind as I began to feel pain. It was bearable at first but it started increasing gradually.  

‘FUCKK…just give it all at once the fuck are you playing at by torturing me. It fucking hurts...Arrgh.’  

After several minutes of enduring the pain with gritted teeth, not noticing that I was able to move my mouth which would have been a happy occasion if not for the pain I was feeling, the pain reached an unbearable level and I lost my consciousness again.

——————————  

Meanwhile on Earth,  

Military trucks could be seen surrounding a house, and the atmosphere around the house looked eerie, maybe because of the weather or the fact that there was nothing around the house for miles. 

Inside the house, we could see 5 people wearing Hazmat suits investigating something in a room that was full of dried blood and dried-up corpses of different people. All the corpses had something in common: there was a hole in the middle of their chest where the heart should be.

Outside the house, An old man with gray hair in a hazmat suit could be seen talking to someone else in a hazmat suit.

“What have we found out about this situation until now Mr. Bennet?”

“We can only speculate sir, we haven’t found any hard evidence of what happened around here but from the looks of it, it seems like the work of some cult. But as for the disappearance of everything around the house in a 10 Km or 6.2-mile radius, we have no idea at all. We couldn’t find the traces of any type of rays or anything like that; it's like everything just poofed out of existence.”

“That won’t do Mr. Bennet, you have to find something otherwise the higher-ups will get angry. It’s not only us on the line Mr. Bennet, this something that poofed these things out of existence could prove detrimental for our whole race.”

“...We know sir but the only living being who survived this thing and could give us any clue is a squirrel that somehow survived all of this.”

“Well then make the squirrel talk, we can’t give nothing to the higher-ups, if nothing else then make something up.”

“But sir…”

“No buts I know this thing is very important but we can’t have nothing after 5 months of investigation. You’re dismissed.”

Unknown to everyone, there was a person hiding behind the truck listening to the whole conversation. He was holding a cage that had a squirrel in it and talking to someone with an earpiece.

“It looks like our plan has been a success, Owl. Get ready to extract me from here.”

After saying this, the person vanished in the shadows not figuratively, literally.

Far away, In a dilapidated house,  Five people were sitting around a table, and they greeted the person who came into the room.

“Ave, Xatimedenti'th”

The person also replied in kind.

“Ave, Xatimedenti'th”

“Were there any obstacles during the plan? Ektos”, One of the people asked.

“Nothing of importance made any problem except for a squirrel because of which it took such a long time.”

“A MEASLY SQUIRREL DARED TO OBSTRUCT THE LORD’S PLAN.”

“It has already been dealt with no need to get angry, Terth.”

“Why did you call for a meeting? Primitus.”

“I called you all here to tell you all that Lord Xatimedenti'th is not happy with us, so he wants a sacrifice.”

Before anyone could say anything 2 people came out of the shadows and injected Ektos, the one who was responsible for completing the plan with a liquid which caused him to scream in pain.

After screaming Ektos’s skin began to melt and the people who injected him took him away. All the people present there didn’t even flinch at this scene as if it were a regular occurrence.

“You all are dismissed. You know what to do next.”

After Primitus said that everybody else vanished in the shadows. In the empty hall Primitus started talking to himself, at least that’s what it would look like to any normal person.

“Lord, Are you satisfied by my sacrifice?”

After saying that he started cutting himself using an ornamental knife. Blood started pooling beneath him but he didn’t stop, he had a crazed look in his eyes. If one saw closely, they could see various scars on his body, evidence that this was not the first time he was doing something like this. He didn’t stop until a chilling sound could be heard throughout the hall.

“̵̘̓͛Ÿ̶̢͈̜̲͎̠́̈́̀̂͑̐̓͘ͅe̵͖̮̙̟̮̰͓͂̇̀̇ͅs̸͓͚̳̜͙̼̟̞͗͒͠,̶̪̠͑̒̃́̃̍͋̚͝ͅͅ ̸̢͍̙̞̤͍̯̝͙̬̑̽̓̀͐F̸̡̞̘͍̓́͆ṓ̴̜̫͚͑͑̆̐̇̎̊r̵͈̱̰̜̬̻͓̿̐͌́̆͝ ̴͕͔̣̮̱̝͉̘̆͐̓͋͑͘ņ̶̪̱̼̯̹̬̻̕o̴̢̢͚̙̱̟̩̒̿w̶̘͙͐͐̀̏̄̏͐”    

To a normal person this would only sound like unrecognizable sounds and screeches. But the cult members could understand this sound as they have sacrificed themselves to an emotionless and blind Eldritch God.

[Axton’s POV]

“...Aghh”

I woke up feeling pain throughout my body which seemed to be fading gradually. After the pain faded I calmed down and noticed that I was speaking or at least moving my mouth since I couldn’t hear anything still.

‘Either my ears are still not working or I am in a vacuum or something else where sound cannot travel.’

As I started becoming accustomed to the surroundings I noticed I could feel things that I couldn’t previously.

I had a feeling it was not my body no, it was something more anchored…? to the reality and I could feel something latching to it, something that did not feel mine, it almost felt like it didn’t belong in this reality.

Before I could do anything, something entered my view.

  ̸̰͈̞͌̿̀H̶̲̙̓̏͗͘,̸͖̯͖̣͑͊;̵̧̼̋̿̉'̸͇͔͖͗͂̓̂,̵̱̎̄̈́̍ͅ ̴͈̒͐W̸̦̊͝e̴͕̾́̎͘ļ̴̫́͊͋ć̷͎͙̌;̶̤̥̒͋̀l̵̖͜͝.̴̛͈̂́̃,̵̟͍̼̍͜'̷͕́̈́̍̏T̵̮́̒o̵͚̬͙̓̍̋ ̷̡̯̤͓̇͘t̴͔̕h̷̡̺͙̃̚̚ē̶̲̜͑͑͊ ̵̧̯̊Ȅ̶̘̍̋̂v̶̫͚̚͝ǒ̸̝̩́l̶̡̧͆̊̒͒͜u̶̜͛̐̽-̷̦͆͛-̵̛̻̗̎̀-̷̫̞̮̈́̍͐͝T̸̹̹͖̽͘̕i̴̻̞̱̙̓̇̉̓ȏ̷̼̠̠͈̾͘n̵̻̗͊͛̚ ̸̫̫͓̈̄̏́S̶̟̳͗ÿ̷̰̩͎̍ṡ̴̡̰,̵̮̎̈́͘;̸̭̎̉̔͠,̵͈̓.̶̛͈̊͠.̵̤̅̆͠͠,̷̹̯̇̏͜/̴̤͍͇̋́̋ͅ;̸̱̈́͋̎͋    

At first I couldn’t read anything but the text was becoming clearer with time and it was also giving me a headache. The more I focused on it, the more painful the headache became. After some time the headache went away and I could read the text.  

{Welcome To The Evolution System} 

It still looked weird but manageable. It looked like a system that you would only see in fanfics or novels. But due to the amount of weird things I went through today, I was not that surprised and accepted the fact quite readily.  

‘Status’

{Status: Dead(??), Nervous, Touched by the Void}

‘???’

I was confused and surprised because that was not what most systems I knew about showed and also by the fact that it was showing my status as dead.

11