Chapter Kidnapped: Maisie Believes (Part One)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        “Does anything hurt?” The EMT, who was checking Maisie and Feya out near the Cabanas beach, grasped her hip.

        Maisie shook her head and shuffled on the gurney she and Feya shared. “No. We’re fine, ma’am.”

        “More than fine.” Feya rested her head on Maisie’s shoulder. “I’m sorry; this was my fault. I think we could both use a nap on one of the hammocks.” Her eyes rolled over to them. They were in front of the cabanas on the beach’s white sand.

        The EMT closed her medical box. “Well, the most important thing is that you two and your little dog, Feya, are safe.”

        “Yeah.” Feya hugged Daisy.

        Maisie peered past the EMT at Lago Dorado. She wished she and Feya would see Melody again. She finally proved herself to Maisie, and she believed her. There really was a spirit at Coronado, one whom her family and the CP mistreated… because she was queer.

        Maisie tightened her towel around her. Her fists turned white, but she forced a smile.

        “The police will finish getting your guys’ information,” explained the EMT, standing, “and then we’ll let you go.”

        “Thank you,” Maisie said. The sooner she and Feya were released, the sooner they could see Melody. She also needed to ping her grief counselor.

        After writing everything up, the officer sent Maisie and Feya to the Tower. A witness found their phones on the bridge and turned them in to the Concierge.

        “Here you go.” The Cast Member behind one of the lobby’s reception desks handed Maisie and Feya their phones.

        “Thank you.” Maisie appeared slightly embarrassed. “There’s also, um, one more thing. We lost our room keys when we jumped into the lake.”

        “Oh, so it was you two?” The Cast Member moved to her computer.

        “Shh, shh!” Maisie begged, holding out her hands. “Don’t tell anyone. We’re not trying to become celebrities here.”

        “Don’t worry. I won’t. But what you two did was crazy! Legend has it that the Veracruz Ghost is in Lago Dorado when she’s not in Veracruz. That’s where she died.”

        Maisie tried not to grin. “Do you believe in her—the Veracruz Ghost?”

        The Cast Member typed into her computer. “I don’t do the supernatural, but that doesn’t mean I don’t believe.”

        Maisie opened her mouth, but Feya beat her. “Could you tell us more about her? The-The ghost?”

        “I don’t know much,” explained the Cast Member. She slid two new room keys to them. “But what I do know is that she once worked here. I don’t know where, though. Legend says she sometimes hangs out in Veracruz’s bathroom or the windows. People have claimed to see flashes of something in them. Hey!” She beamed. “If you’re curious, there will be a Veracruz Ghost talk tonight at 9:00 just outside the Tower on the lawn.”

        “Really?” Maisie glanced at Feya and pulled her close. “Thanks, ma’am. We’ll be there.” She and Feya picked up their room keys and left the reception desk. Maisie dragged Feya into a corner, where it wasn’t as busy, and said, “This is our chance, Fey.”

        “Our chance?” Feya slightly glared. “May, I know what you’re thinking, but we must ask Melody before we do anything. She may not want to expose herself.”

        “Well…” Maisie chuckled eerily and jokingly. “Then I think you know where you and I must go.”

0