#6 – A Reason Why
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In 1998, among the whispers of time's everlasting dance, the dawn of an unknown age arrived. A child from the north, using only their touch, was able to freeze the waters, demonstrating an incomprehensible ability. Whispers carried on, and the breeze spoke of an old lady breathing life into the soil as a wanderer from a far-off land gazed beyond the surface to uncover the world's secrets. Doubt hung heavy in the air until the truth revealed itself and the story soared.

Throughout the world, mystic beings arose, each a radiant symbol of strength and ambiguity, their extraordinary powers veiled in the ethereal haze of myth. As murmurs transformed into tales and tales into reality, humanity struggled to capture the essence of these mysterious entities. Beings of altered form, anomalies, creatures—the names clung like elusive specters, casting uncertainty upon the radiance of comprehension. Amidst the tests of time, a fresh day emerged, and the young ones named them "arcane," while "Etre" became the tune for their talents.

In that very place, the genesis unfolds—where heaven and hell collide upon this mortal realm.

"You know how tiring this is? They surrounded my desk and started interrogating me." Theo let out a sigh as he spoke. When he announced to the class that he was going to Leonia, the normally peaceful classroom went into a frenzy. They quickly gathered around Theo's desk when the bell rang, bombarded him with a million questions.

"HAHAHAHAH! Farewell, ordinary life!!!"

Having successfully evaded the curious people, Theo and Val hurriedly made their way to the robotics club. The robot team rarely gathered there, only on weekends. Therefore, it remained empty for the entire week. Of certainly, unless there are close contests.

"I know what I said was surprising, but I didn't expect it to be like this," Theo remarked casually while enjoying his bread.

"I must admit, it's quite shocking. Last week, you expressed your reluctance to visit Leonia, but even so, you insisted on going there after that incident."

"Yeah...."

Theo had not overlooked it. It made him feel strange, too. One day, he said he wouldn't apply to Leonia; the next, he would. It wasn't for nothing, though.

"You know the fire was set on purpose, right?"

"Yeah, I also saw that on the news. A crazed arsonist set fire to a village, killing the firefighters who attempted to save the citizens. Can you believe it? The news has spread like wildfire."

"Yeah..."

Val knew, but he kept his worries to himself. There were discrepancies between the news reports and the actual events. Theo's action was never adequately explained. The report states that Theodore Manaia, a teenager, was caught in the fire along with his sister and was later rescued by firefighters, which wasn't true at all. 

There was no mention of Louis' team either. They came solely to seize Donn Marivaldi and fled when Theo healed. Val was unaware that Theo was dying, and no one else knew about his contact with the insane man. All Val knew was that Theo plunged into the flames to save his sister.

For Theo, this was the best option available.

"That being said, your words also touched me," Theo added.

"Which one?"

"I could protect my sister better if I became a Leonia graduate," he said, looking up at the endless blue sky beyond the window with a hint of sorrow. "The current me... is still lacking in strength."

Val was on the verge of speaking, but Theo's intense stare silenced him. He had a long-standing relationship with Theo and had the opportunity to meet Theo's mother before she passed away. The impact of Theo's words on Val was far greater than he could have anticipated, considering his understanding of Theo's profound love for his sister.

"Good to know you understand."

".... I know."

The fifth period began when the bell rang. It's Applied Physics.

Theo had a strong affinity for Applied Physics. Even so, he couldn't stop thinking about Leonia's enrollment. He had to go to the front of Argon's town hall on Saturday, most likely as a pick-up point. Even though Theo knew an admission exam was coming, he couldn't say for sure if it would be that day or after registration. In addition to that, he had concerns about Lizzy. Theo had never been apart from Lizzy for an extended time, and this Saturday would probably be their first experience with separation. Who will take care of her? Who would prepare meals for her?

Throughout the entire class, Theo was unable to pay attention. He just sat there, staring at the board but seeing well beyond what he could see, mulling over all the possibilities until the bell sounded, signifying the conclusion of the meeting.

"Straight home?" Val asked as he packed his bag.

"Yeah. Lizzy has not yet fully adapted to our new home."

"Oh, I see. You're on the go, right?" Val gently patted Theo's shoulder after he stuffed his backpack with books. "Be careful on the road, and don't do anything rash like you did that day."

Theo reciprocated the smile and playfully tapped his friend on the arm.

"Don't put too much faith in me. I'm a sloppy person."

"Bullshit."

"Haha. All right, see you later!"

Theo lugged his backpack, heavy with books. He was also welcomed by several of his classmates, and he was happy to return the favor.

On his face was a scary expression. He was also suspected of being a delinquent, but it did not mean he had no friends. Theo was well-known among his classmates, although he didn't quite reach the same level of popularity as the student body president or the basketball team captain. He was simple to get along with, even if he most of the time wanted to be by himself. He would always welcome everyone with a pleasant smile, even if it were only a casual greeting. He tends to be pretty upfront, which can be a double-edged sword for some folks.

As he strolled down the corridor, people approached him with their questions. Word spread around fast that he had decided to enter Leonia. They were sure that Theo would be accepted, but others felt doubtful. Thoughts varied from optimistic to gloomy. Still, Theo enjoyed hearing from others whose hearts were broken by the fire since it implied that they were interested in him and weren't just verifying gossip.

After the incident, Theo and Lizzy were given a temporary place to stay in a government-provided refugee flat. He could have asked Louis for a more suitable temporary home, but he felt terrible about it. Staying in the tight apartment didn't bother him as long as he could ensure his sister and himself were safe.

The school was just a short 400 meters away. Theo, a fast walker, managed to make it from his school to his flat in just six minutes. He seemed pretty relaxed, not breaking a sweat or taking many deep breaths.

"Good day, Mrs Mira. It's rare to see you watering the plants late in the day." With a smile on his face, Theo walked past the woman who lived in the apartment next door.

"Good afternoon, Theo! It was a scorching afternoon. The ground is parched around here."

"Yeah, we're still in summer." Theo glanced up at the clear blue sky. He squinted as the sun shone in his eyes. "Alright, catch you later, Mrs Mira."

"See you later, Theo."

Even though he had only been there for two days, Theo got along well with everyone, especially Mrs Mira, whom he saw regularly during the week. Since the nice lady's house was right on the roadside, Theo always passed by it on his way home.

He resides in room 5 on the fourth floor. Luckily, the apartment was brand new and incredibly clean. The elevator at the other side of the huge entrance hall was spotless. Theo was accompanied by seven others who seemed to have recently returned from work.

"Hey Lizzy, I'm back!" As Theo unlocked the front door to his house, a smile spread across his face. He was quickly greeted by a girl who excitedly ran to hug her brother.

"Big bro!"

"Oh, hey. What's up?"

"Are you feeling alright? Did you get hurt again?

When his sister asked him those questions shortly after he got home from school, Theo felt like he'd been stabbed in the chest.

"Everything's all good. Has Lizzy eaten yet?"

The little girl shook her head, taking her time. "No."

"All right. Hang on for a moment. I'll start making dinner."

"No!!!" Lizzy shouted with rage.

"Huh, why?"

"You're still sick, right? You're still bleeding, right? Let Lizzy cook while you relax!!"

She's been acting like this ever since they left the hospital. The doctor thinks Lizzy might have had a traumatic experience. Louis made sure the doctor was fully informed of the whole story. According to him, Lizzy's terrible guilt about her brother's injury made her feel helpless. It made her really sad. She might end up developing a fear of blood.

"All right, let's get some lunch today, whatever Lizzy wants. Agreed?"

Even though she looked a bit down, the girl gave a soft nod.

"Sure..."

"Good, let's go!"

Theo didn't mention it to Lizzy, but he felt a surge of anger instead of joy whenever he heard Lizzy expressing her worry about her situation. It's pretty crazy when people decide to involve a child in the middle of a fight, especially if there are a bunch of people involved. Theo couldn't rest until he dealt with those individuals. Joining Louis's secret squad and revealing the truth about the peace-breakers would be a decision he would never regret.

0