51. Looting the Hideout
102 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aoi approached Renjiro with a stern expression, his gaze piercing as he sought an explanation for Renjiro's seemingly reckless actions on the battlefield.

"What in the hell were you thinking?" Aoi's voice was edged with a mixture of frustration and concern, his eyes narrowing as he awaited an answer.

It took some time for Renjiro to realize that Aoi was addressing him as he thought he might be addressing some of his subordinates.

"I'm talking to you, young man!" Aoi repeated.

"What do you mean?" Renjiro inquired.

"Why did you use all those explosive tags on the battleground?"

Renjiro, still catching his breath from the intense battle, furrowed his brows in confusion.

"They had more chunins than us, so I wanted to eliminate them as fast as possible,"

Aoi's expression tightened further, his disbelief evident.

"As fast as possible? Do you realize those explosive tags of yours took out some of my ninjas?"

Renjiro's eyes widened as he processed the gravity of Aoi's words. Sceptical of it, he turned to Aiko and Hiro and from the expression on their faces, he could tell Aoi was telling the truth.

The revelation hit Renjiro like a shuriken to the chest. In that moment, the reality of his actions sank in, and an overwhelming sense of responsibility pressed down on him.

A dull ache of regret gnawed at Renjiro's conscience. The progress he had made, the skills he had honed, now seemed trivial in the face of the lives lost due to his lack of foresight.

Renjiro opened his mouth to respond, but before he could utter a word, Riku interjected, "Aoi, it was in the heat of battle, sometimes split-second decisions are all you have. Renjiro acted on instinct to protect himself and eliminate an imminent threat. Besides, berating him about it now wouldn't change a single thing."

'He's taking my side? I did mess up. I was in my head and caused the death of my allies.' If he was honest, Renjiro agreed with Aoi. He got carried away and messed up.

"Besides, he is a genin and chunin were closing in on him. What did you want him to do?" Riku finished.

Despite being engaged in battle, Riku was keeping an eye on what was happening on the battlefield. He was a bit shocked by Renjiro's rampage as well as proud when he saw him going against countless chunins. He did not need to be informed of the events that occurred like Aoi.

Aoi's expression remained sceptical as he turned his attention to Riku. "Optimal or not, it cost us three chunins and six genins from the Land of Mountains. We could have handled the situation differently."

Riku, undeterred, countered, "True, the casualties were unfortunate, but Renjiro's actions prevented potential harm to himself and others. In battle, sacrifices happen. Renjiro made a judgment call, and we need to adapt and learn from it."

Aoi sighed, recognizing the complexity of the situation.

'Do these guys think that raising shinobi to that rank in our nation is easy? We are not a major power and the undertaking is resource intensive. Anyway, the Daimyo should handle this with Konoha.'

Choosing not to pursue the matter, they all diverted their attention to their forces. There were some wounded during the battle and also some who had perished.

After giving them some first aid and storing their bodies in scrolls for a respectful send-off, they turn to address the biggest elephant in the room. How were they going to split the loot from the bandits?

Without further ado, They ventured into the remnants of the bandit hideout. The once menacing structure now stood in ruins, a testament to the fierce confrontation that had taken place moments ago. Riku took the lead, he scanning the surroundings for any signs of hidden threats.

Along the way, they found mangled bodies. These belonged to shinobi serving under the brothers who were caught unaware and crushed by the collapse of their hideout.

With caution, they descended into the dimly lit cavern. They were surprised that the cavern was still standing despite the tremors caused by Riku earlier.

As they progressed, the faint glimmer of chakra crystals caught their attention. Riku examined the crystals, recognizing their value. Chakra crystals, coveted for their use in various applications such as enhancing chakra affinity, were a prized possession among shinobi.

Further exploration revealed a cache of stolen ninja weapons, neatly arranged in racks. Swords, kunai, and shuriken hinted at the bandits' audacious raids on unsuspecting shinobi.

Amidst the spoils, they discovered crates filled with provisions—non-perishable food, clothing, and personal belongings of civilians. It became evident that the bandits preyed upon the local populace, pillaging their homes and confiscating whatever they could find.

''They sure were busy.'' Riku remarked seeing the 'loot' the bandits had managed to acquire.

After ascertaining that that was all there was, they discussed the distribution of the valuables. Without the other team, they would not have been able to exterminate the bandit threat.

Since they had the bodies of the jounin and Renjiro's mishap they get a small quantity of the chakra crystals. This was Riku's way of placating Aoi because of the earlier incident.

Aoi accepted but he is still mad about losing members of his force since they were a close-knit group.

They quickly returned to Osaka where they all rested since it was still in the wee hours of the morning. After a period of rest and recuperation, Team 15 set their sights on returning to Konoha.

The journey back to Konoha was marked by an unusual stillness within Renjiro. While the physical landscape changed as they travelled, his internal landscape was dominated by the echoes of the recent mission.

Renjiro, deep in contemplation, found himself comparing the weight of his choices. Taking a life, even in self-defence, felt less burdensome than the unintended consequences of ending some over a hasty decision.

His teammates, sensing the shift in Renjiro's demeanour, exchanged concerned glances but chose to give him the space he needed. Riku realized that this was a pivotal moment for Renjiro's growth.

'What Matters is how he will react to this.' He told himself

As they neared Konoha, Riku decided that addressing the issue would come in due time, allowing Renjiro the time to grapple with his own demons.

It was already in the evening when Team 15 made their way to the mission centre.

Entering the mission centre, they were greeted by the low hum of activity. Mahito looked up from his desk, his eyes scanning the returning shinobi.

He had grown accustomed to the punctuality and efficiency of Team 15, yet this time, something seemed different. The addition of chakra crystals to their inventory caught his attention.

Riku stepped forward, "We've completed the mission, Mahito. Found the rogue ninjas and exterminated them. We also got some loot from them."

"Chakra crystals, eh? That's an unexpected bonus," he remarked, a hint of surprise colouring his usually composed expression when Riku passed him a scroll containing the crystals.

The village had a high demand for chakra crystals, and the unexpected acquisition was a welcome addition.

"Well done, Team 15. You've not only fulfilled the mission but brought back something valuable for the village. The Hokage will be pleased."

The acknowledgement brought a sense of accomplishment to the team, a reassurance that their efforts were recognized. Mahito, with a nod of approval, concluded the mission report and issued their remuneration.

"Take a well-deserved rest, and if there's anything else, you know where to find me," Riku said as he flickered away. After finishing up with the mission centre, they all headed back to their homes.

As Renjiro approached his house, he noticed the figure of Uchiha Sora near his doorstep. It seemed like she was just about to leave, and their unexpected encounter caught both of them off guard.

=====

I would like to thank Reen Mala and Shawn O for supporting me on my patreon

Your Reviews and Comments about my work are welcomed
If you can, then please support me on Patreon. 
Link - www.patreon.com/SideCharacter
You Can read more chapters ahead on Patreon

7