Chapter 63: Sequels
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though little Alex was feeling pressure and doubt about the Kid Psychic sequels, the rest of the world was not feeling the same.

Cosmic Pictures was consistently playing the teaser trailer as the only form of paid advertisement while the newspapers were doing the rest for them.

The Creeds were not shy of accepting free publicity!

If anything, the people themselves were all the ones doing the hype for them.

This wasn't the period in history when cosplay is a popular thing but the fans of the film were doing the appropriate symbolism of praise in their mentalities.

Movie sequels usually get their time in the limelight after years or more of fermentation.

This is usually due to the sequel's movie production period taking its sweet time. No one is indubitably sure that their film would be a box office or critical success, so the delayed filmings and plannings of franchise extensions are quite understandable.

Investors and studio executives are in it to earn money in a safe and systematic way. They are not haphazardly jumping into filmmaking just for the fun of it.

Whole departments are specifically established just to research and analyze the prospects of certain films and their corresponding sequels or prequels.

Their strategic filmmaking and methodologies would sometimes work and sometimes wouldn't. After all, various reasons and complications come into play for the making of a successful or failed feature-length film.

These long periods of indecision and actualization would also do their part in having the anticipation of film fans built over the course of that long wait.

These long waits could result in harming the film as casual viewers would lose their interest in any or all forms of continuation.

This is the reason in which sequels are burdened with the task to surpass the original so that the viewer who had long moved on would be hooked back in again.

Other factors that come into play are the film's contextuality, its relevance to the time period, the decision to improve on what it is built on or stay the same, to be politically correct, and a few more marginal but important aspects that need to be considered.

These notes could be exemplified by a few films in Other Joe's film history.

Terminator: Judgement Day became an improvement of its predecessor due to the advancement of filming techniques which brought the liquid-metal T-1000 to life.

However, it's perfected ending to the time loop proved to be the doom of the next sequels. Terminator sequels have done it all from making an inexplicable TV series, rewriting the timelines, disregarding entire timelines, and movies featuring the future timeline itself.

Sadly, it never got the success and critical acclaim that the first two films of the franchise had.

The Jaws serial milking is also bound to happen as well as the receptively bad audience reception that the next Star Wars trilogies would have.

Neo's The Matrix is also another failed franchise serialization, along with works such as Mean Girls, The Mask, Home Alone sequels after Home Alone 2, Speed, Independence Day, and many more.

There are also planned and announced sequels that never got to see the light of day such as semi-Godzilla of 1998, the final film of the Divergent franchise, E.T.'s morbid sequel, Eragon, and John Carter.

The uncertainties and high content pressures are among the reasons as to why directors like Spielberg aren't thrilled at the idea of making sequels to their films.

John Carter is an example of a good movie with amazing audience reception but it sadly never got its deserved serialization due to its failed cinematic returns.

There are also success stories such as Back to the Future, the murky Harry Potter series, and the MCU. As for the DCEU, it may not be a complete fail but it may have been close to the blatantness of Sharknado.

For Kid Psychic's trilogy trajectory of success, Alexander could more or less hope that it would follow the same path as its production inspiration- The Lord of the Rings trilogy!

With its copied back-to-back-to-back production method, it is quite an achievement if Cosmic Pictures could have the same successive growth in theatrical earnings as Tolkien and Jackson's collective masterpiece.

In a sense, Kid Psychic and Kid Psychic 2 would also have their own spin in the sequel saga. It also didn't have to technically follow Jackson's pattern as it was way ahead of its time.

An anime-based and Westernized trilogy would have a legacy of its own. It had also preceded the anime wave as well, making it a new contemporary film style that would cement most of what is to come in the films of Cosmic.

There were about four months before the sequel's release and after its prequel's rest, the anticipation would be perfectly built up in that amount of time with minimalized loss in most of the easily-unattentive and casual moviegoers!

The kids and teenagers were still in school and had ample time to save up money and go through the frustrations of education.

The summer season would be the perfect time for them to vent and spend. Hence, the sought-after summer files of the movie industry are slowly being built as they should be but at this juncture, Kid Psychic would be present at the helm of it.

Its first film was the uncontested box office champion of the previous year which is still relatively fresh in the minds of the world. What is stopping its sequel from attaining the crown again?!

The Majors and industry insiders were all the more happy to get the answer but sadly they wouldn't be able to act on it.

The little devil of the Creed family might be on his reservations and doubts about the sequels. Still, his business-savvy kin was as firm, formidable, and forward-thinking as ever.

Theater companies were all the more welcoming with milking the crowd again and aiding the Creeds with the next screenings. As their own research was enough to tell them that most of the films in the Hollywood reserve for this year won't give them a guaranteed cash grabber and crowd-hoarder compared to the most sought-after Cosmic sequel.

The Majors would have to sacrifice big to stop the collective mindset of the empowered Creeds and the interest-centric cinemas.

The four months were more than enough for the big players to play and the others are more than ready enough to cope with what is to come.

Everyone was all the more sure that on Friday of June 4th, theaters will start to crowd with people. Not because the Ode to Billy Joe was being released but because the sequel to Kid Psychic would finally show its worth!

This is just going to be plain horrendous, silly, and more disgusting than my main trashy work.

You've been warned!

0