Chapter 16: Heart Soldiers
57 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My pathetic luck rose to 19 in the blink of an eye. This would ensure that the monsters have good drops.

I slowly stretched my hands above my head and walked to the dungeon's entrance. The blue dot flickered again, and a pop-up appeared saying I had entered the dungeon.

The place that should have been an abandoned construction site had become a completely different place. Like the insides of a castle, the concrete walls had been replaced by lines of bricks, and dozens of flame torches lit up the passages with their dim lights.

"Equip," I stretched my hand to the side and said. "Steel spear."

A light gleamed near my outstretched palm as a very simple, standard spear fell in my grasp.

I ran my hand over the spear. It felt far too realistic. The thought 'Oh, everything is just an illusion, I can probably ignore any attacks,' did enter my mind and I was tempted to try to tank the enemies, but seeing videos of everyone who tried on MeTube made me decide against it.

For Rise of Babel, seeing was believing. And now that I saw the result of sacrificing some items in the beginner pack and the training weapon box, I could truly believe it all.

"Let's hunt," I said to no one and started moving.

There was only one goal—finding rare drops.

My footsteps rang in the passageways lit up by the torches. After walking a little, I reached the staircase leading a floor up in the dungeon and the building by extension.

A heavy thud resounded, like the sound of tin crashing against the floor below.

A round tin man stood with a giant hat shaped like a heart. He donned red coats and carried a rifle with a bayonet attached to the top. The almost cylindrical being was a member of the Heart Soldiers, one of the Trump Mobs that controlled this dungeon.

No one had cleared it, and information was still rare about the place, but Trump Mobs, based on the four houses of the Trump Cards, were still famous all over the game.

Lowering my stance, I gripped my spear tight behind the cover of the passage wall. My mind cooled down, and I started observing the place.

The floor was flat, with no obstructions, no other traces of more soldiers either, it seemed this one was a lookout and a bait to lure the explorers deeper into the dungeon. Its structure was strange, but I saw a small hook connected to its coat and the rifle strapped to its shoulder.

It was safe to say that with that, it would take about 3 to 5 seconds to load and aim. Not bad. Medium range seemed unsafe at first, but I was a spear user and had a much better reach compared to a knife strapped to a gun.

The only possible problem with my plans was that...

I had no idea how to use a spear.

I had swung it a little and watched some videos, but that was all. Well, fighting with iron rods and metal bats couldn't be that different.

It was time to start.

I slowly chipped a part of the brick from the wall. Though nothing had broken off and fallen in my hand in reality, I could still feel the weight of the stone in my hand.

Seeing truly was believing in Rise of Babel.

I tossed the stone ahead, and it clacked against the ground on the other side. The Heart Soldier immediately jerked to the side. Taking that chance, I dashed ahead as fast as I could.

The Heart soldier spun around again.

I winced; the gun moved as it saw me.

1 second.

I was about 15 feet away.

2 seconds.

I lowered my stance and hopped to the side. The soldier's gaze followed.

3 seconds.

Its hand was on the trigger.

In that instant, I dived to the side and rolled to the ground.

A loud bang resounded as the bullet lodged into the ground.

There was my chance; the reload time of an antique rifle was long. I rushed ahead and swung the spear upward, breaking its grasp on the gun.

The soldier itself wasn't shaken in the least, but that didn't matter.

Pivoting on my foot, I spun and stabbed the spear ahead. It felt crude, but I managed to summon a lot of power with that move.

The spearhead shot forward like a lunging snake and stabbed the soldier straight in the head.

A black mist came seeping out of the Heart Soldier's wound while a red bar appeared above its head, constantly depleting.

And then.

[Ding! You have slain Heart Soldier (Lv 20)]

[You have leveled up!]

With the sound of the system, the heart soldier disappeared into dust, leaving just a knife in its wake.

I grabbed it with a smile.

[<<Heart Knife>>

(Uncommon)

(Durability - 89%)

A special knife used by the Heart faction. Damage +10

-Can be used in special quests.

-Can be sold

]

A smirk left me, already on Uncommon from the very first enemy.

"All stat points in luck."

Bagging the knife, I continued my min-maxing and took a step ahead. I could see it—the chance to buy a ton of chocolate ice cream.

5