Chapter 73 – Snowball
96 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The opening ceremony of the weapons factory was simple and muted, but did not go unnoticed. Many of the desperate poor and homeless were enticed by the various rumours floating about, hundreds flocking in droves towards the Seven Snakes district, in the hopes of a better secure future. The advertisement that was now aired through distributed light-throwers in various pubs around further enticed those looking for a new lease, a new chance at life as well as those who needed financial assistance.

“I’m sick and tired of living in the slums, why wouldn’t I get a free apartment if I can?” The more adventurous of them began to migrate, moving from districts beyond the Seven Snakes' control. Rows upon rows of applicants began to swarm the Golden Snakes Construction office situated near the shopping arcade, where job openings were a dime a dozen, along with a standard apartment that was far better than the shelters they had been in before.

[And with this, I declare the Aspis Weapons Factory open! A ground-breaking innovation in assembly and manufacturing processes, to herald the new golden age of Raktor in!] Gordon announced, the first batch of workers cheering in full force, mostly out of cheer for better wages and their new dwellings.

A tour was summarily provided for the other attendees of the opening ceremony, who mostly comprised of other business owners and sycophants of Baron Cain. With Baron Cain’s co-ownership of the factory it was easier than ever for the Seven Snakes to position themselves as a legal incorporated entity, despite the control clearly in the hands of Kyle.

“I never expected you to have the factory ready for me this quickly – truly amazing.” Cain praised Kyle. Of course, it wasn’t the fact that the Baron now had a weapons factory: he always had them, but those factories were more of a partnership with the military rather than a fully private venture such as this one, which did not divert funds into Count Leon’s pockets.

This allowed him to amass his own political power base, independent of the manufacturers and suppliers that other Barons had to rely on. What’s more, with the raw materials being derived from the Culdao Peaks, Baron Cain was effectively invincible to any price fluctuations that Count Leon might attempt to stir.

Kyle too was happy with what has been accomplished. The Ardent Cretins’ blockade was still in place, but as soon as the food supply was stabilized in the Culdao Peaks, plans were already in place for the goblin kingdom to be a net exporter of raw materials, both agricultural and industrial. This vertical economy gave Kyle complete control over the pricing and profit, enabling a steady income. Perhaps a second weapons factory there as well.

Thus, the financial maneuvering of Sebastian hardly meant a thing to Kyle any longer, except for the physical hijackings and attempts at harassment. Transport wagons were still being raided on a weekly basis, constituting a real security threat. The tunnel alleviate some of that, but Euria Seeds and other supplies still travelled over land on the regular.

“With the weapons factory established, we can now apply for the supply contract set forth by Count Leon’s military. There is only a month left to demonstrate the weapons. Any later and the supply contract may be rescinded.” Baron Cain explained the next step of the plan. It wasn’t as simple as the military throwing money at Kyle and the Baron – they had to convince the generals of their product’s efficacy against their competitors.

Furthermore, the military exercise was to serve as the backdrop for a potential invasion of Versia. Kyle had no doubt that at least a minor conflict or skirmish would erupt during the exercise itself - this would be the profit point that he had to leverage on.

“How much and what do you need?”

“The demonstration will be a mock battle between knights from other Barons and suppliers. I will need enough equipment to arm one of my knight squads for testing. Assume that it is a standardized set that can be issued to regular soldiers.”

“I will begin work immediately. The design will take a while.”

“Can you get it done under a month? The earlier you can get it done, the more pressure we can put on the other suppliers.”

“No promises, but we’ll do our best. In the meantime, I will produce the standard rifles as afforded by the license to grease the wheels.”

They shook on it, the two parting ways as Kyle began proper operations of the weapons factory. “Gordon, you’re with me for now. Keith, have the designers organized and briefed in the trade school, I’ll drop by later.”

The first batch of newly hired technicians were all gathered in their respective teams. Most of them were old hires from the previous factory, yet to see their old workplace undergoing a massive overhaul was nothing short of an amazing feat. Some thought they would have spent their entire lives under the same grimy black ceilings and failing machinery.

Utilizing the new structure that Kyle had implemented, Gordon had the old hires split up into twenty production teams, five supply teams, three design teams and a single management team, Gordon himself being the top overall. The bulk of the workforce gathered in front of him were technicians and etchers, helmed by an experienced foreman.

The production teams were not solely comprised of technicians and a single foreman – three foreman and five logistics workers served as the attached support staff, allowing the production team to interface with the design team and subsequently management team.

Contrary to usual roles in other factories nearby, the design team also had old technicians embedded with them. Kyle never believed in the idea that one could design a product without having intimate experience in actually making them.

With the teams having a somewhat holistic makeup, this ensured that the factory operated efficiently and with clear distinction of roles. In this way, the production team was designed akin to a autonomous unit, able to achieve its own supply requirements through the five logistical staff members attached.

Gordon cleared his throat as he stepped up onto a makeshift platform of extra construction materials, his voice amplified through a series of arctech radios embedded along the length of the wall while he gripped the microphone in his hand. Introducing the basics of the factory as well as the organizational hierarchy, Gordon finally neared the end of the briefing.

“Each production team will be trained to develop multiple products. Our factory is not like the old ones, nor is it like the others in Raktor – you will be instructed and taught by your foremen to be versatile. As demand is not fixed, we as the suppliers must be able to adapt to changes on the fly, hence the high requirement on your holistic understanding of the product lines.”

The somewhat unique structure had the old hires confused, many used to the old days of factory workers only being a single cog in the machine, focusing on just a very small task. Being transformed from a single task specialist into a generalist was far more than many technicians could handle.

“No human was born knowing how to etch arcia, so do not underestimate the potential for your brain to learn more than you started with. Grow with us, and we shall help you achieve your dreams and security for your family. Of course, with appropriate compensation for your efforts.” Gordon concluded. Many cheered, but there were a few who only gave nods or grunts in response.

Kyle scanned the crowd, noticing a few obviously disgruntled workers from the old factory amdist the production team. He could sense that they were jealous of their former co-workers and especially Gordon taking higher positions, while the majority of them were still in the production teams, toiling away as technicians.

For now, the lower worker hours of eight hours instead of sixteen and the free housing were keeping them in check and satisfied, but Kyle knew this wouldn’t last forever. It was the human condition to always adapt and seek for more than what he currently had. Furthermore, once they had obtained the contract, production would have to ramp up eventually, but that would be a problem for the future. Nothing stays the same forever, not even me.

The first batch of workers dispersed, heading towards their assigned assembly lines for training. Kyle had already issued preliminary designs of the Seven Snakes armour pieces, as well as a standard basic design of the current Raktor’s military rifle, provided to him by Baron Cain.

“Shouldn’t we start off with our final design? Like the weapons and armour that we are going to deliver to Baron Cain.” Gordon remarked to Kyle as they oversaw the training. “It seems inefficient to have them learn a specific engraving or assembly procedure, seeing that they would have to re-learn everything again.”

“And do you have our final design?”

“… No, sir.”

“Then let’s wait until the design team is brought up to speed before doing anything. This preliminary training will serve as a good buffer and a way to test the efficiency of the system.”

While Kyle was confident in his implementation of the factory structure, it was by all means a educated guess. Without the help of his cranial implant, Kyle could hardly recall every little single optimization that humanity has learnt over the years, and those optimizations would also not be applicable in a vastly different era. He was too used to robotic automation producing everything at the touch of the button.

As such, the training will both help Kyle to tailor the operations to its peak efficiency, while also producing new armour sets for the newly recruited Seven Snakes members. He had never made armour for anyone who had joined since the Ilysian Punks War, which amounted close to five hundred new associates. Some of the new associates, unsurprisingly, were also working in the weapons factory in various roles. I should have them inducted soon as well, and trained.

“I’ll leave things in your care. Any issues or suspicions, report it either to Damian or me immediately.”

“Understood, sir.”

Kyle proceeded to the trade school, where Keith had just concluded an introductory briefing to the newly recruited arctech designers, which numbered about thirty, which was far lower than what had been promised. They were now gathered in the new auditorium built like a lecture hall, each of them taking a seat amdist the rows of benches facing the blackboard.

“I expected fifty.” Kyle whispered to Keith as he walked up to the podium.

“I’m still trying to recruit the other twenty, but many are not answering our advances or returning reply to our offers. Should I expand the recruiting to non-graduates? There are many more that we can hire that might not have a university degree.”

“Do it, we have no time. I need them in by the end of the week.” Kyle needed more hands on deck in order to build the standardized knight set – it would be far too much effort on his own, even if he had taken the Manufacturer sub-class.

Keith nodded, handing over the marked attendance list. However, one name was clearly missing, Kyle noticing that only twenty-nine were present.

“Where is he?”

“Last known contact was in the East Sector three days ago. Most likely the Tul’e Da’li got wind of this movement and are stalling him indefinitely.”

Kyle internally sighed, but did not lament too much about it. If he were in the major gang’s position he would have done the same. Or perhaps even worse. “Let’s move on without him, we’re on a deadline.” Kyle took center stage, immediately explaining the overall process.

“Keith would have already informed you in the briefing prior, but for the sake of clarity, let me repeat: You are now working under a joint venture between Golden Snakes Construction and Baron Cain. Any leaks of classified patents or engravings is punishable by death under the Sanctum of Yual, and I am also legally allowed to execute said punishment. Understood?”

The audience murmured with a few nods, clearly inattentive to Kyle’s words. Many of the designers in this room were not from the districts near the Seven Snakes, some coming from the Red Lions or the Wretches. Kyle shot a glare at Keith, who quickly shook his head.

“It seems that there is a slight misunderstanding on who are your superiors here.” Kyle began, only to be interrupted by a scoff from an older designer.

“A young kid lording over us, when he hasn’t even attended the University of Raktor? Give me a break. If this is how I am to be lectured during my stay here, I believe my time is better spent in a far more prestigious company.”

“Then please. The exit is that way.” Kyle motioned towards the lecture hall’s door.

Yet the older designer did not move, knowing that the salary was what drew him here in the first place. Even if he became a professor at the university, there was no way he would be paid anywhere close to what Kyle was paying him.

“If you choose to stay, then understand this.” Kyle left the podium, walking through the steps of the lecture hall between the rows of seats. “If I say run, you run. If I say jump, you jump. If I say sit, you sit. If I say understood, you say yes sir. Understood?”

The arctech designers looked at each other confusedly, before a sudden wave of pressure erupted from Kyle, the designers’ heart all seemingly gripped in fear, as though a terrible behemoth had just appeared in the hall, embodying the essence of terror.

“I said… understood?”

“YES, SIR!” Even the older designer sat upright now, the sweat trickling down his back from the shivering fear.

“Good. With that out of the way, the first project that the weapons factory will be undertaking is an improved version of the standardized arctech knight suit that Raktor’s military currently use. Each of you will be split into three teams to take care of different aspects of the armour as well as weapons. Your design lead will temporarily be me, who will oversee all requirements and testing of the knight suit for the next month. Understood?”

“YES, SIR!”

“Team A, you’re on the armour materials and etching requirements. You will set the standard for the body armour as well as etching guidelines for all production teams to follow. Standardization is key here. Team B, work with team A on the armour and create two variations of the knight suit – one focused on defence and the other on mobility without sacrificing protection. You have the original design to work off, find the flaws and fix them.”

“Team C, your job is to improve the weapons. Start by working on the rifle. You will also be provided with the design for the Oriental Bloom.”

That last mention of the handgun sent a wave of gasps between the designers, many of whom had already heard about the miraculous handgun that had efficient arctech design. The older designer was half-amazed, half-perplexed. “But how? Even the Raktor military did not have the design… unless…?”

“Stop wondering and get to work.”

“Who is this lowborn peasant working with Baron Cain?!” Count Leon raged to himself, calling up all the business owners under him. “Why haven’t we cut off all sources of iron ore and coal to him?!” Count Leon pressed, knowing the region of Raktor and all prospected iron ore deposits. He was sure that he had full control of all of them.

[We have! We stopped selling iron ore and coal to them three days ago when they applied for the contract, but according to our observers, the factory is still running.]

Count Leon hung up in anger, pondering the situation. If they are still able to run, it either means they are stealing from my iron mines or they have found a new one! Unacceptable!

He found the notion of the first theory ridiculous, seeing as he had his own armed forces guarding the iron mines tightly, which meant that the second theory was far more valid. He immediately arranged a meeting with Baron Cain, planning to pressure him into giving up the new mines if they existed.

“Baron Cain, you understand well that this entire region of Raktor is under my jurisdiction. Running an illegal mining operation in my territory is tantamount to a declaration of war on my title. Forget buying your weapons, I could have you stripped of your nobility on accounts of conspiracy against your betters.” Count Leon instantly threatened as he strode into the visitor’s room, where Baron Cain sat and carefully sipped on the edge of a delicate tea cup.

“You don’t have any evidence of such an operation, and only the Duke has the right to strip my title if it came down to that.” Baron Cain calmly replied. “However, if, hypothetically, there was such a mining operation, it can only be considered illegal if the mining rights have been given to you.”

“All mining rights in Raktor have been given to me by the Duke himself. And by extension of his authority granted from Tryas, the Emperor!”

“Ah, but not for every mine in the entirety of Raktor, am I right? I seem to recall a few illegal arcite mines that have not been declared to the Emperor as well. Has he given you the rights to them as well? I’m sure Tryas would be very interested in such mines for national security.”

Count Leon stiffened slightly as his threat faltered, his eyes narrowing at Baron Cain. “You… what are you aiming at?”

“Count Leon. We have much to benefit from a mutual agreement here.” Baron Cain rose from his chair, pacing slowly. “You want to win a war, however small. I want to prove my loyalty. My factory will produce quality weapons and armor. For a Count to actively sabotage his own military suppliers directly will… not speak well of your reputation.”

“My reputation will not suffer if it was made clear that you are in cahoots with the Seven Snakes! I should immediately issue an county order and revoke the weapon’s manufacturing license. A gang leader should not possess such a dangerous document – only a full master of the Weapons Guild of Raktor is able to hold such a license.”

“The landed nobles of the Yual Dominion have full executive power to issue weapon licenses to whomever they please, guild or not. Unless you are implying that the whims of the craft guild are far above the actions of the nobles.” Baron Cain countered. “And revoking the license will be equivalent to preventing me, a Baron of Raktor, from producing my own weapons. Need I remind you that I currently own half of the factory? Or perhaps you would like to escalate the matter to the Duke?”

Count Leon did not reply immediately, thinking carefully while Baron Cain continued: “You do not lose anything in the establishment of my factory: the military gets better equipment, and you win your glories over Versia. It’s a win-win, with the only loser being Versia. Do you not hate the condescending gloating faces of the nobles in Tryas every year? They think of us as borderland buffoons, on par with that of Kregol and Perlis. With my factory, your prestige will surpass anyone present and future.”

As much as Count Leon hated how Baron Cain managed to get the upper hand on him, he did not disagree with the concept of showing up the nobles in Tryas. Far too often, he had been looked down on for the rowdy and crime-ridden city of Raktor.

Yet, accepting Baron Cain’s new factory would jeopardize the business relationships of all his suppliers and supporters that he was planning to enrich as well. The Weapons Guild would be swarming him as well.

“Fine.” Count Leon eventually compromised on the surface, seemingly unwilling to start a fight with Baron Cain. “I agree to the deal. Let us negotiate on a later date.”

“Of course, Count Leon.”

As soon as Baron Cain was out of hearing distance, Count Leon reached for a nearby arctech phone, twisting the ratchets to a specific channel. “Sebastian, I have a job for you.”

 

 

 

4