Chapter Three – A Magician and a Fox-Man
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter Three
A Magician and a Fox Man

 
Hearing the man say they weren’t human, I tilted my head, confused. “I just thought that maybe his cosplay was that detailed,” I murmured gently as I pointed in the direction of Kurai standing off to the side, his arms crossed his chest. My face twisted into a frown as I lowered my gaze from the fox-eared man’s cold demeanor. 
 
“Cosplay, right?” I questioned awkwardly, feeling hopeful. 
 
“No, we’re just not human. I mean, I am, but it’s a bit more complicated than that,” Enoxon explained, holding his hand in the air as it swirled a gentle green glow. “I am a sorcerer, and he…? No, you’re right. He’s just a furry cosplayer. Big on furries,” Enoxon said with a gentle prod in my direction, a grin dancing across his lips as he acknowledged Kurai.
 
“W-what?” Kurai exclaimed, suddenly taken off guard. “You seriously just call me a ‘furry’?” Kurai’s voice cut through the silence, not a
growl this time but sharp and laced with disbelief. His hands, though balled into fists, twitched at his sides, a visible sign of his barely contained irritation. “Really, Enoxon? That’s how we’re playing it now? You’re going to stereotype my entire existence?”
 
Enoxon grinned proudly while lying on the bed I was in, now on his stomach, making me feel more awkward than ever. Why did he think it was okay to lay on the bed I was in? Especially while making this literal Firefox man angry. “Perhaps you best think twice before walking around freely with your ears and tail out and about,” Enoxon replied slyly. 
 
The room seemed to shift around Kurai, shadows clinging to him as though drawn by his frustration. Enoxon, for all his arcane knowledge, found himself at a loss, the gravity of his faux pas dawning on him in the face of Kurai’s escalating annoyance. Flames licked at his fingertips, a physical manifestation of his mounting fury. His glare crossed sharply to the sorcerer. The room seemed to darken around them, shadows drawn to Kurai’s fury as if feeding off it. Enoxon, despite his vast magical abilities, found himself on the back foot, the severity of his blunder fully dawning on him as he faced Kurai’s wrath.
 
“Kurai, wait-” Enoxon’s attempt at apology was cut short.
 
“No, you wait!” Kurai hissed, his voice a dangerous growl. The flames that had been a mere threat a moment ago flickered ominously around his fists, now engulfing nearly his entire body. I could only watch, frozen, as Kurai practically dragged Enoxon off the bed, his anger a palpable force that seemed to fill the room.” No, you wait!” Kurai hissed, his voice a dangerous growl. I could only watch, frozen, as Kurai practically dragged Enoxon off the bed, his anger getting the best of him. 
 
I was stunned to see how quickly Kurai had been angered. Now, he was pinning the sorcerer on the ground with flames above his neck. At the same time, Enoxon laughed away at the nogitsune’s anger. While Kurai’s anger exploded and he dragged Enoxon away, my heart seized this moment of distraction as my chance. Without a second’s hesitation, I slipped off the bed, my movements quiet and swift, hoping not to draw any attention. I darted out of the room, finding myself in a long hallway of the old house, the air heavy with history.
 
The hallway was dimly lit, walls adorned with pictures that whispered stories of the past, their faces watching me as I moved. My footsteps were muffled by the thick carpet beneath, each step taking me closer to my escape, to freedom. At the end of the hallway, a large round window offered a glimpse into the outside world—a world of snow and ice, beautiful yet desolate under the night sky. It was dark, the details of the landscape fading into obscurity, but through the glass, I could make out the silhouette of the tree line, a dark boundary against the slightly lighter sky.
 
Beyond was a faint yet distinctive glow of a town, barely visible. The lighter air in that area, illuminated by distant streetlights, hinted at civilization beyond the wilderness. That faint glow was like a beacon of hope, a sign of a world beyond this house of shadows and secrets. I stood there momentarily, taking in the view, gathering my resolve. Then, with a deep breath, I turned away from the window and the secluded estate it overlooked. I was determined to find my way safely to that distant town.
 
Or so I had hoped. 
 
I could make that, right? I wasn’t exactly dressed for the cold weather with the thin pajamas I was in. 
 
Wait, who the hell changed my clothes? 
 
Shaking my head, I tried to forget about the idea.
 
Downstairs, I quickly approached the door and noticed a jacket hung up. It was a bit big, but it would be fine. I glanced toward the ground for some kind of shoes—and luckily, the boots I had initially on were there! Perfect! 
 
 
Trudging for a bit, I noticed the tree lines darkening and thickening. I couldn’t see the mountainside anymore, but I’m sure I’d be okay if I kept going straight. Making marks in the trees by scraping at the bark with a rock would be the best way to make it through this forest. Living in a mountainside my entire life, I was forced to learn to track - and that’s what I would do. 
 
My gaze lifted when I noticed the air was growing a bit heavy with some fog. “This is great,” I muttered as I continued pushing forward - the cold breeze ripping up underneath the jacket and on my legs exposed practically to the chilly air. This was better than being with the freaks, though - I can guarantee. I bet if I had said anything to that damned fox-man, I’d be a piece of toast now! 
 
The forest loomed before me, its trees like silent sentinels in the growing darkness. The sky overhead threatened more snow, the clouds heavy and low, making the forest seem darker and thicker with each step I took.
 
“But this damn snow!” I growled, glancing around the area. “Haha, what a funny joke,” I said, talking to myself in hopes of staying distracted. “Imagine Snow, the snow girl, hating snow!” As numb as they felt, my hands dusted the snow off the rock and carefully sat down, trying to conserve warmth while allowing myself this short break. The forest was eerily silent around me, the usual sounds of nature muffled by the snow. It was a moment of solitude during my escape, a moment to gather my thoughts and strength. I couldn’t help but feel a sense of vulnerability out here alone, barely dressed for the weather. Yet, there was an undeniable thrill—a sense of adventure and defiance against the odds.
 
Despite not knowing the full extent of where I was, an instinctual fear began to creep into my bones. This wasn’t just a spooky area; it was a realm of nightmares, a corner of hell itself. And yet, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being watched, not by animals, but by something far older, something that knew I didn’t belong.
 
.“I’d rather die out here,” I murmured gently, throwing a small branch into the unknown. 
“H-h-huuuuu……” 
 
Instantly, I tensed up and placed my hand on a small nearby rock as I jumped on top of the rock to see what was around me. “Hello?” I called out, knowing I probably shouldn’t have, but maybe it was someone who knew these woods and could help me. Or perhaps it was the other two not-of-this-world guys. The darkness was so thick, though, I couldn’t see anything. “Is someone there? I’m not sure where I’m at, but I could use some help,” I called out to the darkness.
 
“Hel-helllp,” The voice mocked me. 
 
I frowned, listening to the voice, and stated, “I’m not from around here - I was kidnapped, and I’m just trying to get home. Do you know where Shiverbell is?” I asked. 
 
“What is Shiverbell?” The gentle voice asked me.
 
“It’s a town - a mountain town. I’m just trying to go home,” I replied sadly.
 
“Mmmm, so you are not from here,” The voice mocked me again. This time, its voice turned a bit deeper and colder. “Oh, we cannot have that. Tell me, little one, why are you here if you’re one of us?” The voice asked me. 
 
“I…. Again, I was kidnapped,” I replied, feeling tense. Scanning the small clearing, I looked around again to see where I could pin-point the voice - but it was nothing but darkness.
 
“Kidnapped? And brought here? What a curious action. Why would anyone kidnap you? Are you special? You don’t… Seem special.”
 
“Special? No, I don’t think so?”
 
“Are you a witch?”
 
“Witch?”
 
“Witch,” It replied.
 
“I don’t… Think so. I’m sure if I were, I’d be long gone now. Wouldn’t anyone be if they were a witch?” If I could keep it talking, perhaps I could pin-point its voice. “Are you a witch?”
 
“Oh no, my dear. I’m much more than a pathetic witch,” it chuckled. The rock that you have in your hand—you know you cannot hurt me with a rock, yes? Like yourself, I’m not a foe, just a lost friend.”
 
As I got closer to pin-pointing the voice, I spun around, and it was a few feet from me - nothing but a shadow. My heart instantly dropped as I remembered the shadow from my hometown. Is this the same one? No, its voice was different - its tone was different. Perhaps it was similar to what I came across back in Shiverbell? I squinted to see if I could make out any part of its body - but I saw nothing. 
 
I frowned when it spoke to me again, shivering in quite a strange fear. “I don’t want any trouble,” I murmured. The shadow disappeared again, and I heard something coming behind me. I turned quickly, my arm striking down on something and making contact. However, I heard a noise similar to a metal clank when the rock struck whatever was below me. Its skin was a patchwork of shadow and ice, shimmering in the dim light with a sinister glow. Its eyes were voids, absorbing all light, all hope, with an insatiable hunger. Its limbs were elongated, ending in sharp, talon-like claws that scraped the ground with a sound like the screeching of metal on stone.
 
When I struck it, it jumped back, gave a cold and wild look, and narrowed its eyes on me. 
 
This creature moved with a grace that belied its monstrous form, circling me with intelligence and purpose. It made it clear it was no mere beast; it was a predator of the highest order, and I was its chosen prey. The air around it seemed to warp and chill, manifesting its unnerving presence. I could tell this demon was something special and far more dangerous than any I had encountered. Its gaze locked onto mine, and at that moment, I knew this was no random encounter; this was a being with intent, with power, and it had marked me for reasons I couldn’t begin to understand.
 
“Ah, you’ve made your move. Swift and clever for a human, yet so frail. Perfect for my feast,” it taunted me, its voice resonating within my mind. Before I had a chance to respond, a shrill, piercing scream erupted from the creature, an agony that made my ears feel as though they were splitting. The screech was so intense, so excruciating, I was convinced my ears were bleeding. Impossible, right? I attempted another strike with a rock, only to have my arm viciously caught, its claws sinking deep, shredding my skin. Helpless, my other arm was captured, and I was forcefully brought to my knees. My strength was already sapped. I could sense my markings burning with pain. Yet, as a fighter, surrender was not an option; I had to endure, even if it meant unleashing a scream of desperation.
 
“LET YOUR SCREAMS RISE, MY DEAR, for with each cry, your essence becomes sweeter,” the sinister whisper invaded my thoughts. My body writhed in pain as its claws tore through me, thankfully avoiding my already injured side. The agony was unbearable. I was a bit more confident in this fight. I’m not sure why, but something ran through my body. It had to be the adrenaline. I winced at the pain that burned through my side, but my kicking at him did the job. It stunned him to the point where he dropped my arms, and I took this opportunity to try and scramble to my feet. The best option is to run. I made it onto my feet and took off. I was unsure where I was going, but I needed to get away. I ran, dodging the trees and rocks the best I could see in this darkness. 
 
On unsteady legs, I fled, navigating the dark forest as best I could, pushing branches aside, driven by the slim hope of survival. 
 
“Chasing only makes this more fun, my dear. Your mark ensures your trial of Death,” the creature’s voice haunted me though the dreadful screeching had ceased. That screeching was more torturous than the throbbing pain in my side! 
 
Marked. It stated, just like the previous demon. Was it the same one? He looked completely different. Quickly glancing, I looked at the throbbing wound on my arm; it was black—not red like blood would be. Is this the doing of the ‘mark’ the demon mentioned? I tried to think about what Enoxon and Kurai had mentioned, but my brain couldn’t rehearse the conversation I had with them. My brain was continuously screaming at me, telling me to run. 
 
If only they could help me again, why should I rely on them? They brought me here - this is their fault. They should’ve just walked me home, as I asked. Not let me escape like dumbasses. 
 
That’s when something began to mess with my vision. 
 
The trees and bushes began to fade away. It felt as though an abyss of darkness was enveloping me. Could this creature have poisoned me? I wondered as a profound lethargy took hold of me. This sensation was eerily reminiscent of yesterday’s ordeal as if I had been sedated. My legs became increasingly leaden, and I found myself being pulled down by an invisible weight. Soon, the trees, the sky, the moon, and the underbrush had all disappeared, leaving nothing in their wake. I collapsed, face-first, onto the now frigid, barren ground, noticing the absence of snow, replaced by a void of darkness. What was happening?
 
“I told you, Little Snow,” The voice whispered, dancing around me. “You are marked for Death. Your mind has been poisoned. No other demon could make you yours. You will be mine until you are destroyed, body and mind - vanished into thin air - soul left to linger until mine devours it. Oh, but your soul is just… Precious! I remember this soul - oh, I do. It’ll be wonderful to dine on it again.”
 
“Demon?!” I whispered, staring in horror as I felt my body being forced to roll over by the creature. The pain in my sides grew stronger and hotter.
 
“Humans are stupid,” The demon chuckled, his face blurring in and out with the surroundings of darkness. I could barely make out its body - almost human-like. The creature grabbed my wrists with one hand, lifting me. “You’d think your little mind would beg you to stay with that pathetic excuse of a nogitsune and that foolish wizard. They’re there, not even realizing that their little pet got away. No one to save you now - just you and I and the darkness while I devour the last of your soul. It’s been a long time, Kirasa.”
 
It's not a name I’ve heard of. I tried to bargain with the demon and opened my mouth to shut: “My name isn’t Kirasa! It’s Snow Rumaki; please let me go! You’ve got the wrong girl!” 
 
“Oh, but I don’t—I’ve been waiting long to get my claws on you. I just needed to wait,” it chuckled, its face fading in and out, and I could see those red eyes burning into mine. 
 
Can demons travel between different worlds?! Not to mention how vital this thing was! What pissed me was that this was the same creature, in a different form, from yesterday. That’s how he knew I couldn’t escape ‘this time.’ I was lifted off the ground, and with his other hand, I was forced to stare at his ugly and scary face. “Let go of me!” I snapped, trying to kick him off of me. 
 
The kicks did not phase him, and his mouth opened wide. “I’ve been waiting to eat my dinner, but once I saw you join us here in the Underworld…” His voice faded out, and my scream filled the air.
 
“Soul of the Damned, from her depart,” rang a voice, both explicit and stout. “Her time has not come; thus, you must part.” This voice was serene and tender, without a shout. Yet, within its calm, a storm seemed to start. “She stands untouched, untainted, no doubt, Not a soul for you to claim or to outsmart.”
 
Opening one eye, I looked at the demon staring off to the side. I couldn’t turn my head as he held my chin so tightly that I could feel the tips of his claws slightly cutting into it... Staring at his ugly face, I took in his barely visible features. It looked like he had a face shape, but it mainly was rippling shadows that danced across him. He did not have flesh like a human would nor like Kurai and Enoxon. 
 
“Oh, but don’t you know, the more pure they are - the better they are. However, I’m sure you and I can arrange something - I thought you had been ridden off,” The voice spoke, turning its gaze slightly to the side as it spoke to the other.
 
“Soul of the Damned, depart from her side,” the voice commanded with might. “Or face the wrath I have destined to provide,” it declared. 
 
“Then come out and fulfill yours and her destiny, little mutt,” The demon called, throwing me hard to the side. 
 
I landed with a thud, breathing heavily as my side was punctured once more by a rock and was even more on fire. 
 
“To have the soul of a reaper like yours would make me extremely powerful,” He taunted. “Can you imagine, little mutt? I have yours, and she’s soul.” The demon turned around. “I will ensure you’re gone for good today.” With a quick look back to me, the demon smiled, his sharp white teeth fading in through the darkness. “Sit still, and I have something to take care of,” With a flick of its hand, I felt some complex chain around my feet, keeping them from moving. 
 
What is happening? As my vision faded, I gazed off to the side, assuming from blood loss from my previous injuries and his digging into my flesh. I breathed heavily, feeling the burning agony seep through my veins from this demon. I could see a dark blue light in the distance of the darkness. I could not distinguish the body, but it was not a human speaking to the demon. I noticed four legs. I could see the dark blue fade in and out to a lighter blue on this figure.
 
“Today, demon, you shan’t feast on my soul, nor shall another’s toll,” the blue figure spoke. 
 
I watched as the demon leaped towards the figurine. A sigh of relief escaped my body, but the pain was too much. I rolled onto my back, holding my arm where the demon had ‘marked’ me and grabbing my side as I could feel the warmth of the blood seeping out of the wounds. I couldn’t believe I felt such pain from these demon claws; it hurt more than whatever I was stabbed with the other day. Or perhaps he ‘marked’ my side like he did my arm. Maybe my side wasn’t a stab wound. It was from his damn ‘marking’ claws. Going to leave a scar or two. I felt pressure on my other arm and feared it was another demon; my instincts told me to swing. 
 
Depart, young soul, and please flee. Lest darkness soon again, you see.
 
“S-SN?!” Someone’s voice tried to grab my attention through the darkness swirling around me as the demon and the blue creature charged at one another.
 
I sensed someone’s hands clasping my arm, pulling me from the darkness. I saw the blue figure again before I was drawn away. Belonging, I presumed, to the voice of calm, there stood a creature with a sharp wolf’s snout and a long, stellar-blue tail that mirrored the night sky. Its eyes, pure white, mirrored the star-like patterns adorning its fur.
 
Our gazes met, and a wave of tranquility washed over me. Something about this wolf-like being momentarily erased my current predicament from my mind. It was a weird but really good feeling, like a light turned on inside me. This wolf saved me; somehow, I knew it from before.
 
Yanked from the darkness, I was brought back into the forest with the trees surrounding me and the darker moon shimmering above me. Snow fell gently, and I stared momentarily at the sky above me. When I realized I was no longer in the dark, I instantly sat up and collided heads with someone. I let out a small whimper, holding my head, and squinted to see who it was. There, just inches away, was Kurai’s face, showing a surprising look of concern for someone known to be quite temperamental. “Kurai?” I murmured, looking at his expression full of concern. His amber eyes stared into mine as the little orange dots on his face glowed ever so slightly. 
 
“Are you okay, Snow?” Enoxon’s voice sounded from the other side of me. He noticed the magic wrapped around my feet—at least, I think it was magic.
 
“Surprised you weren’t eaten this time,” Kurai murmured. “Hold still - this is going to hurt - a lot,” The man’s gaze flickered from me to the sorcerer on the other side. The two nodded at one another. “Hold her,” He stated. Within a few seconds, Kurai’s hand lifted with fire, and the little orange specks on his face glowed ever so slightly. The nogitsune placed a hand on my arm, which was throbbing with pain. Suddenly, I could feel the heat rip through the frostbite that covered my body. He covered the scratch on my shoulder, connecting the gray lines from one mark to another. I felt the cosmic pain rip through my body, forcing me to move my body and shift it as I could feel the heat ripping through my body, replacing the pain set in me by the demon that was initially the one who had marked me. 
 
Enoxon’s arms wrapped around my upper body, shoulders, and chest as he kept me from squirming. The heat was extreme as it coursed through my body - mainly following the gray lines originally on my body from the other day. I could feel it running from my shoulder down my arm and my chest to my side, burning with a hot heat. Enoxon’s grip held me tighter, but after a few seconds of the pain entering my body, it began to disappear and flow out of my body. It felt like everything was leaving my body - like a magnet in a box grabbing that metallic sand. I know my face had tears rolling down it, and I’m sure I looked like a mess.
 
“There,” Kurai sighed as a ball of black and orange balanced in his hand. “Enoxon, get rid of this poison,” He told the sorcerer. 
 
Quickly, Enoxon’s grip released me, and he reached for the ball dancing in Kurai’s hand. A few words escaped the sorcerer’s lips as he held the ball and forced it to disappear into thin air. 
 
“Thanks,” Kurai muttered and then looked me over. With the coat that was ripped in several places, the man would eyeball those places to see if there were any other wounds on me. Standing straight up, he crossed his arms and stared down at me with a hint of anger. “What the hell do you think you were doing? Were you trying to get killed??” He growled.
 
Immediately, I pulled my gaze from him, feeling ashamed, and hugged my knees that were buried against my chest now. My arm was no longer in pain, and my head was free from pain. The demon’s gaze burned into my mind as I held my arm. I ran my other hand over the marking that I could see through a hole in the coat. 
 
“Snow, you need to share with us what happened and how,” Enoxon’s gentle voice sounded as he held a hand out for me to grab.
 
I hesitated, then grabbed his hand and was whisked off the snowy ground, holding the torn coat together as best I could. My entire body was frozen; not even Kurai’s flames helped me. 
 
“Every demon is different. You look as though you were fortunate to escape - again. But these marks take time to heal - if they can. If it was the same demon from the other day, you honestly really need to take better care of yourself.”
 
Staring at the ground, I whispered ever so quietly, eyes wide, “It said it marked me for death.”
 
“Obviously,” Kurai muttered. “That’s what demons do when they find someone weak - like you. It would continue chasing you if it were the
same one from the other day. When you were brought here, it was easier to find you,” He seemed concerned, but I didn’t believe it. His tone was definitely condescending. 
 
Weak. The words stung me, and I held my body tighter when he told me that. The memory replayed as I remember him using the word ‘Kirasa.’ I wasn’t sure what that meant, whether it was a demon word or just a name. I figured he used it as a name, but I’ve never heard that name. “Demons. Fox-People, Mages…” I murmured, digging my nails into my skin as fear shivered. I was traumatized. 
 
“Sorcerer,” Enoxon replied with a slight grin. “Born of magical powers, but studying to learn more and more. I’d also recommend not calling him a person. You recall what happened not too long ago,” The young sorcerer corrected me. 
 
Kurai, who seemed still focused on the mark on my arm, spoke, “I am a Nogitsune - to you, I am a mythical fox spirit able to manipulate the darkness.” His voice was soft, surprisingly. Is it perhaps that he was so distracted by my arm? The mark was ugly, I admit, but he didn’t need to keep staring at it. “There are a lot of demon souls that are not fully here; their rage and hunger blind them. You must be careful in this world. Especially considering one of them found its way to you twice.”
 
I pulled my arm away from Kurai, tightening my grip and hiding inside the coat that I had taken. “Just monsters,” I murmured, still avoiding their gazes. “Monsters in our world? Why is this the first time I’ve seen one?” I questioned them, staring at the ground. 
 
“In the human realm, demons are typically forbidden. They cannot travel to the human realm now,” Enoxon explained. It is very fascinating the fact that not only one but two,” he pointed to Kurai, “have found their way to the human realm and even directly to you.”
 
“Human realm?” I questioned him, lifting my gaze finally and looking at the sorcerer.
 
“Humans are not the only creatures in this world or this time,” Kurai sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Far from it.” 
 
Enoxon chuckled, “You’re not in the human realm anymore Snow. Welcome to Asturdorm - the land of the Underworld.”
 

 

On the fence about what kind of artstyle I want to include in on this. But... Here's Kurai. 

It's easier to do the anime styles of characters because it's more vibrant, but like.. I mean, dayum. 

(Ignore this man's human ears. AI isn't the best sometimes.) 

0_3.webp

0_0.webp

0